2011 in modern rock

Geoff

I liked a thread Glen made recently with a bit of info on some exciting releases for 2011. Well, I've been wondering lately about a few modern rock bands that I have not heard from in a while. So with a little time up my sleeve I'm going to do some research and pencil in my findings for anyone who cares. :) The other styles / aka modern rock forum has been very quiet lately due to a lapse in exciting modern rock releases. Let's hope 2011 fixes that.

There for tomorrow ; new album is apparently finished and is due for a Summer (US) release.

A Change of Pace ; this has been a long time coming but it looks like ACOP's new album is all but here! Release date is 22nd of February. The title of the new album is called "It Could Be Worse". The whole track listing has been posted on Amazon. It goes as follows:

"Never Settle"

"I Wanna Know"

"What The Hell Happened"

"Maybe Someday"

"Weekend Warriors"

"The Other Way"

"Hot Til She Talks"

"I'll Be There"

"Cut Me Off"

"Let Me Down"

"Where Do I Go From Here"

Silverstein ; new album called 'Rescue' is due out on Hopeless Records on 26th of April 2011. :) Their first CD on another label since their departure from Victory Records.

Boys Like Girls ; demos for the new album are all done and recorded and they are hopeful for a November/December 2011 release. Sounds to me we won't see a new one from these guys till 2012. :(

Fallbrooke ; son of a whore! Looks like these guys split up last year. :(

Mayday Parade ; new album apparently due in June/July 2011. :)

Papa Roach ; planning to enter studio in Sept/Oct 2011 for a 2012 release.

Faber Drive ; possibly getting around to writing for a new album, but doesn't look like we'll see anything knew from these guys until at least 2012. :(

Nural ; apparently these guys are still signed with Hopeless Records and 'Entitlement' is meant to see an official physical release. Apparently. I'd be amazed if it still does, this long after the fact. But more importantly, apparently this was released last year (download only too):

Title: Entitlement B-Sides

Year: 2010

Label: Hopeless Records

Tracks:

"This Is The Way"

"Godspeed"

"Adriana"

"Kids These Days"

"Calmer Waters"

"Here Goes Nothing"

"Can't Make You Change"

"FU Pay Me"

"Kylifornia"

"Hero"

"Calm In Your Eyes"

"Stop Me When You've Had Enough (Demo)"

"Say What You Will (Demo)"

Hedley ; looks like these guys got signed to Island Records in the US and they're to release their last (shitty) album, 'The show must go.' So I doubt there will be any more new music from these guys anytime soon. How is it they release 2 awesome albums in Canada, then they release a piece of shit and only then a US label shows interest? WTF?

Coldrain ; new album called 'The Enemy Inside' was apparently released today. Track list:

TRACKLIST:

01. To Be Alive

02. New Fate

03. Rescue Me

04.Adrenaline

05.You

06.The Maze

07. Rise And Fall

08. Confession

09. A Tragic Instinct

10. Hollow

Heaven Below ; these guys just released a new s/t EP which you can buy for a bargain price here: http://www.heavenbelow.com/store/

Adelitas Way ; new album called 'Home School Valedictorian' due may 17th 2011!

Cavo ; writing new album which is planned for a 2011 release. New songs "Last Day", "Circles" and "Southern Smile" have been played in concert and are expected to be on the album. I doubt we'll see anything in 2012, though.

National Product ; currently on hiatus. :(

Simple Plan ; new album was finished in November last year, awaiting mixing and mastering. Hopefully this one's not too far away. A few songs set for inclusion: This Song Saved My Life", "You Suck At Love", "Astronaut", and "I Cant Keep My Hands Off Of You."

Forever The Sickest Kids ; new s/t album due on the 21st of March. Pre-orders are apparently already being taken.

Funeral for a Friend ; new album is called 'Welcome Home Armageddon' due for release on 14th of March 2011. Two videos for songs off the new album have been released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGTxllR0Oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ea8MuZyhXg

Will have to check these out asap.

Houston Calls ; well f*ck me with a four leaf clover, I saw one of these guys' last sets and didn't even know it. They broke up on June 9 2009, and I just found out today! :lol: But :(

Search The City ; also broken up. :( All band members appear to be active in some way, most noteworthy : Brandon Ellis is the lead vocalist for the new Tooth & Nail artist Rocky Loves Emily and have released their first EP entitled "American Dream."

Go Audio ; broke up on 26th of November 2009. :(

Safetysuit ; apparently in the studio at the moment.

Throw The Fight ; currently unsigned and shopping their demos around. :( Doesn't sound good for them, though they did release a (great) new track last year called 'Bloodshot Eyes.'

Donots ; wowser... apparently they released a new album back on March 12th 2010. It's called 'The Long Way Home.' Will have to check it out...

A few bands that appear to have no plans to record in the near future... well, I couldn't see any sign of anything new from them anyway: Monty Are I, The Sunstreak, No Love Lost, The Latency, Vaeda, Pillar, Skillet (still touring), Every Avenue (still touring with plenty more to go), Silly Fools (R.I.P?), The Academy Is... (Ha! They just did a tour with KISS... wtf?), Shinedown (looks like they're still busy bathing in the success of 'Sound of Madness'), Kessler (R.I.P?).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While you were posting this, I also made a new thread about the new Heaven Below EP...great minds think alike!!!

You say the shipping is too much? It only costs 4$ to ship anywhere outside of the USA. I think that's a pretty damn good deal, I went for it.

Let's hope they release another full length CD in 2011.

While you were posting this, I also made a new thread about the new Heaven Below EP...great minds think alike!!!

You say the shipping is too much? It only costs 4$ to ship anywhere outside of the USA. I think that's a pretty damn good deal, I went for it.

Let's hope they release another full length CD in 2011.

Haha! Me no understand the an englishes! But you are right, it was only $4 for shipping. I thought it was $7.99, but that's the total! :lol: Anyway, tried to order right away but no matter how I tried to process with paypal it wouldn't go through. :( Oh well, their loss I guess. F*cking paypal c*nts.

The Click Five ; new album is actually available for order, but I don't believe a worldwide release date has been released. But this was out on the market in 2010:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8415194

Track List:

1 The Way It Goes

2 I Quit! I Quit! I Quit!

3 Nobody's Business

4 Love Still Goes On

5 Don't Let Me Go

6 Fever For Shakin'

7 Way Back To You

8 The World Comes Crawlin' Back

9 Good As Gold

10 Be in love

11 Black Boots

12 Just Like My Heart Falls

The Click Five ; new album is actually available for order, but I don't believe a worldwide release date has been released. But this was out on the market in 2010:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8415194

Track List:

1 The Way It Goes

2 I Quit! I Quit! I Quit!

3 Nobody's Business

4 Love Still Goes On

5 Don't Let Me Go

6 Fever For Shakin'

7 Way Back To You

8 The World Comes Crawlin' Back

9 Good As Gold

10 Be in love

11 Black Boots

12 Just Like My Heart Falls

hi Geoff

this album is what I'm talking about, apparently it was released in Asia in 2010, and any other region will be released somewhere later in 2011. Pretty good even though I find myself liking their prior album slightly, but this one is still solid :)

and for the other bands, shame on me, i'm with Alphamale, never heard of any of it before except Papa Roach, and I don't really like em lol i think i need to learn more :D

Wow some good news in there. Silverstein, Simple Plan, The Click Five are all awesome IMO. Having heard the new Funeral For a Friend stuff I'd say better avoid it, they've really changed their sound. Interesting to see a lot of bands split-up as Modern Rock and that Emo stuff has really died, banks like Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance/Paramore have either split up or changed their sound entirely (the new MCR stuff is odd). This is what I mean when I say bands like Yellowcard have really missed-the-boat...

Just a few comments. The 3 Im really looking forward to are Monty Are I, Skillet and Shinedown and all of those are looking like 2012.........shame.

A Change Of Pace - if they came up with something more akin to 'Masses......' I'd be excited but their last album didnt really do it for me.

Coldrain - the new song I heard a while back was pretty average & V HEAVY!! One hit wonder??

Adelitas Way, Simple Plan and Safety Suit all have the potential to produce something nice :-))

Mayday Parade - looks like the album will be called 'Valdosta' and will be released March 8th....but I could be wrong?

I'll throw another one in too -

Rev Theory - Justice - released 15.02 ???! could be worth checking out?

Cheers

Yeah Nightrain, if you haven't been too exposed to modern rock you may not know any of these. But there is some killer stuff in here. Every band I mentioned here has at least one very worthwhile release, imo. Hence my keeping tabs on them. ;)

I heard that Click Five CD last night and have to agree. It sounded okay but appeared to be easily their weakest yet.

Wow some good news in there. Silverstein, Simple Plan, The Click Five are all awesome IMO. Having heard the new Funeral For a Friend stuff I'd say better avoid it, they've really changed their sound. Interesting to see a lot of bands split-up as Modern Rock and that Emo stuff has really died, banks like Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance/Paramore have either split up or changed their sound entirely (the new MCR stuff is odd). This is what I mean when I say bands like Yellowcard have really missed-the-boat...

Haha, didn't know you were that keen on Silverstein. This new CD should be great. Did you hear the 'Transitions' EP from last year? Very nice. Heavy, stunningly produced and very good. Apparently this new one is meant to sound like a mix of 'Discovering the waterfront' and 'Shipwreck in the sand.'

I wasn't too wild about the FFAF EP from last year, but I am excited about the new CD. They've definitely gone a lot heavier than the brilliant 'Tales don't tell themselves' CD, but I still dig them. Their heaviest disc, the debut, is still what got me into them.

Do you like any of the new MCR disc? Some excellent songs on that one, imo. Very melodic.

Just a few comments. The 3 Im really looking forward to are Monty Are I, Skillet and Shinedown and all of those are looking like 2012.........shame.

A Change Of Pace - if they came up with something more akin to 'Masses......' I'd be excited but their last album didnt really do it for me.

Coldrain - the new song I heard a while back was pretty average & V HEAVY!! One hit wonder??

Adelitas Way, Simple Plan and Safety Suit all have the potential to produce something nice :-))

Mayday Parade - looks like the album will be called 'Valdosta' and will be released March 8th....but I could be wrong?

I'll throw another one in too -

Rev Theory - Justice - released 15.02 ???! could be worth checking out?

Cheers

Yep, agreed the last ACOP album was sub-par. Sadly, there is no doubt that Tory Jasper was the heart and soul of that band... explosive songwriter. I keep hoping these guys will recover like Mayday Parade did, and I guess we'll wait and see what they come up with for this new CD. I'm quietly hopeful. As long as it's got some balls I still think they can be great. Last was too timid.

Coldrain - I actually heard the new album last night. It is heavier, but still very solid. Did you get the EP they released last year? Some great stuff on there too. With everything they've released I have at least 3 full album's worth now and it's all pretty damn fine. The new album is maybe a little rawer, but still very good.

'Nothing Last Forever' EP:

1.Die tomorrow

2.We're not alone

3.Stuck

4.After dark

5.The youth

6.Miss you

'Fiction' single:

1.Fiction

2.Come Awake

3.I Know

'8AM' single:

1.8AM

2.Time to go

3.Believe

4.Fiction (unplugd)

Mayday Parade ; hmmm, I'd be surprised if they will release the disc on 8th of March as they'll just be winding up their gigs in Australia by then. I hope you're right, though. :) Like ACOP I think they really miss their original frontman, but their 2nd disc was great. Hoping for another one too. :)

Yeah, I think there's potential for a lot of good discs in this lot. I hope Monty Are I do keep at it.

I did see Rev Theory had released a new one. I'll check it out I'm sure, but I don't think those guys did much for me first time round.

IMO, several are as good as Taking Dawn but what you probably want to know is if they're as 80's styled as Taking Dawn? ;)

The answer would be no, but a few albums that'd be well worth checking out are:

A Change of Pace - 'Prepare the Masses'

Boys Like Girls - 'Lovedrunk'

Papa Roach - 'The Paramour Sessions'

Hedley - s/t

Funeral For a Friend - 'Tales don't tell Themselves'

Silly Fools - 'The One'

All of them have plenty of elements that you may have loved about 80's rock. :)

IMO, several are as good as Taking Dawn but what you probably want to know is if they're as 80's styled as Taking Dawn? ;)

Hedley - s/t

Silly Fools - 'The One'

Thanks Geoff. I'll check 'em all out and tell you what I think.

I did just check out the now defunct Fallbrooke mp3's on Google and while I wasn't overly impressed, it wasn't all that bad actually.

Hedley - s/t

Silly Fools - 'The One'

I don't really describe Taking Dawn as Modern Rock. It's 80's Hard Rock with a modern production IMO. Those who pick up stuff like Taking Dawn and Hinder are certainly not guaranteed to like these bands, who have much less of a typical Hard Rock-sound to them...

Hedley - s/t

Silly Fools - 'The One'

I don't really describe Taking Dawn as Modern Rock. It's 80's Hard Rock with a modern production IMO. Those who pick up stuff like Taking Dawn and Hinder are certainly not guaranteed to like these bands, who have much less of a typical Hard Rock-sound to them...

Yeah Papa Roach is the only 80s ish sounding one out of that lot.

Better to try Adelitas Way's debut - that is more 80s rock sounding (with a modern twist of course). More solos as well.

Yeah, I dunno either. As I said elsewhere I didn't class Taking Dawn as modern rock either.

The bands I mentioned just have those huge catchy choruses that some may have loved about the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...

Another band not on the list who just released a very impressive new album is I SEE STARS - 'The End of the World Party.'

Their debut was nice but didn't stick out from the crowd, but I actually really like this new CD. Makes me very regretful that I'll miss them at Soundwave. They're playing at the same time as Stone Sour who I'm pretty keen to see, but if this new CD had been released for 6 months and it had time to settle in and they'd play most it, I might have seen I See Stars instead...

• 4 weeks later...

Keep an ear out for FM Static too. I've had their first 2 albums (I think) for a while and they're pretty average at best. So much so I didn't bother with their 2009 disc, 'Dear Diary,' until just the other day. It still has a few weak tracks, but also some really excellent stuff. Definitely a pleasant surprise. It has also made me very curious as to what they can offer with their new album, 'My Brain Says Stop, But My Heart Says Go!' which is due out on the 5th of April. Maybe one to watch out for.

• 1 month later...

A quick write-up on a few of the ones of note I've heard recently:

Cash Cash - Love or lust ; not sure if this is a dance or a rock album but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone here in a million years. If you're feeling brave and you don't mind the electronic route of a few modern rock bands, there are some good hooks here but it's seriously about 70/30 dance/rock and not really worth checking out.

Chemical Vocation - Write this moment ; such a nice sounding album. Every riff, every piece of music... it's all very well done and solid. The only thing that holds this back a tiny bit is a slight lack of really killer hooks. Every single song is good, but only the last one gets close to a real killer. Very promising band, though, kind of in the style of Boys Like Girls maybe? Worth keeping an eye on.

Eleventyseven - Quota EP ; brilliant EP. Kind of "childish" lyrics, but if you still like what some of the really commercial modern / pop rockers dish out, this EP is a must. Very catchy, great tunes.

FM Static - My brain says stop, but my heart says go ; I was just speaking of these guys above. This is their real stab at the big time. No expense spared here in getting the most catchy hook-filled tunes out to the masses. Very, very catchy but not always in a nice melodic rock kind of way. There are a few kind of annoying pop-hooks on here and overall the album just ends up being very good whereas I feel it could really have been amazing. The front half is actually the weaker half, imo, where they try to cram in pop hopeful song after pop hopeful song. I like the more "basic" modern rock 2nd half of the CD. Either way, these guys write a catchy-as-hell tune quite easily.

Holiday Parade - False alarms ; good solid modern rock. Very run-of-the-mill and not special, but solid.

Junior Doctor - Clumsy Words and Bad Pickup Lines ; one of my picks of the year so far. Excellent modern rock album with great, strong songs from start to end without faltering. Check it out, very good:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GB4HYO/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

Rise Against - Endgame ; if you've heard Rise Against before, this is exactly what you think it'll be. Always solid, never spectacular. But they deliver another good disc here.

So Called Plan - GO! And we will follow ; speaking of Rise Against, these guys sound a hell of a lot like them. But not as good, that's for sure. This had some redeeming catchy choruses, but otherwise wasn't that great.

Streetlight Fire - Architects ; bad news. Bland music, not even a trace of a decent hook. Avoid.

The Blackout - 'Hope' ; one CD I hope to hear a hell of a lot more of. After tracking down their debut and seeing them live I'd really have bet money that these guys would get heavier, like they did for their 2nd CD after the debut. But this CD has a surprising amount of commercial and balladic / mid-tempo tunes on it. And they're good ones too. I loved 'Best in town' and that CD had a lot more punch than this one, but this one sounds really good. Maybe even better, considering I am a melodic rock fan at heart and this will appeal more to that side of me. More comments to follow, but this is a good'un.

The Brighter Life - where tonight can go ; good solid EP from this new band. It's pop-punk in style, but a bit heavier than the norm. I like what they're doing, but like a few bands noted above, they're just missing those killer hooks.

Unwritten Law - 'Swan ; it was actually Jim (JLP Rocks) from this forum that got me onto these guys. As a kid I used to hear them in my brothers' cars when we drove to the beach, and they were 100% punk. These days they've opted for a more commercial route and they actually sound okay. Jim pointed a CD out to me a few years ago which I didn't mind. This one might even be a little better? I'm not a big fan at all, but these guys are worthwhile these days.

Check out an as yet unsigned band by the name of Boys Will Be Boys at:

http://www.myspace.com/boyswillbeboys

I bought a half dozen songs on Itunes from the available eps.

Should fit in nicely with Friday Night Boys etc.

Thanks mate, will check them out asap.

I don't know if I've mentioned Friday Night Boys anywhere this year, but their release from this year, 'Everything You Ever Wanted: The B-Sides,' is as good as any modern rock release I've heard this year. Sadly it is a post-mortem release as the band split in 2010, but it does not detract from the actually quality of the songs... easily as good as what made up their 'Off the Deep End' CD... if not better? Great album and confirmation that their demise is not a good thing.

Heard a few samples of this one through Itunes and was planning on waiting to see if it was released on cd. Now that I know they've broken up I'm just gonna grab the download.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'd sell a nut for a physical release of this album, but sadly it looks pretty much entirely unlikely that it will ever happen. It will remain a prize of my Ipod, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention, but I checked out the latest tunes from Boys Will Be Boys. I dig it. Hopefully they get to release a full disc.

Another new one that passed through my stereo:

Aiden - 'Disguises' ; not sure anyone else here has ever bothered with these guys and in all honesty I wouldn't say it's a must. But I've got all their discs and enjoy them all enough. Consistent band. Lyrics have always been and are still quite dark, there has always been and still is that slight punky element to their sound, but on top of all that they also seem to have maintained a pretty good quality of song throughout the years. I would go as far as to call this one their best CD yet. It's very well produced, has a killer heavy sound, some nice discreet harmony vocals consistently adding to the already strong choruses. They always have a pretty intense anti-religion song on their discs too (especially on 'Knives'), and this is no different - cool songs. Yeah, overall, if there is any passing fan of the band on this board, check this one out. It won't disappoint. New fans? I dunno, maybe try a sample before buying.

Also, I love what Nightrain is doing keeping us up to date with new melodic rock / AOR releases (very helpful) and I wish I could do the same in this thread. But 1, I don't think there's really any interest anymore on this forum, which is fair enough and 2, I'm lazy. lol. But just to put some effort into it, probably for Shamus', Justin's, maybe Glen's (?) and my sake alone, here's a list of what I've heard so far in modern rock this year (in a rough order of my favourites too):

Trust Company - Silence in black and white

Forever the Sickest Kids - s/t

Destrophy - Cry havoc

The Friday Night Boys - Everything you ever wanted: The B-sides

Junior Doctor - Clumsy words and bad pick-up lines

Close to Home - Never back down

The Blackout - Hope

Sixx AM - This is gonna hurt

A Change of Pace - It could be worse

Coldrain - The enemy inside

Yellowcard - When you're through thinking say yes

The Click Five - TCV

Madam Adam - s/t

FM Static - My brain says stop, but my heart says go

Go Radio - Lucky street

Funeral For a Friend - Welcome home armageddon

Venus Vegas - Morning still life

Forget Me In Vegas - Get gone, stay gone

Farewell Fighter - The way we learn

Goodbye Coastline - Listen responsibly

I See Stars - End of the world party

Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows - D.R.U.G.S.

Lakeview - Live before you die

Chemical Vocation - Write this moment

Aiden - Disguises

Amaranthe - s/t

Red - Until We Have Faces

Saliva - Under your skin

Gloria - s/t

Hawk Nelson - Crazy love

Vanilla Sky - Fragile

Cash Cash - Love or lust

Boy Hits Car - Stealing fire

A few other releases I know have been released but I've not yet heard or had time to digest:

Art of Dying - Vices and virtues

Bayside - Killing time

Bowling For Soup - Fishing for woos

Panic At The Disco - Vices and virtues

Rise Against - Endgame

Silverstein - Rescue

Sparks to the Rescue - Worst things I've been cursed with

The Downtown Fiction - Let's be animals

And the few upcoming releases I know about:

All Time Low - Dirty work / 7/06/2011

Blindside - With shivering hearts we wait / 7/06/2011

Simple Plan - Get your heart on / 21/06/2011

Swithfoot - Vice verses / 12/07/2011

Taking Back Sunday - s/t / 28/06/2011

There For Tomorrow - The verge / 28/06/2011

Based on the new Simple Plan single I have heard, 'Jetlagged,' I'm pretty excited about that one. It's a very poppy duet kind of track, but appealing regardless. For those unfamiliar with The Downtown Fiction, I have a huge collection of (very polished) demos from these guys on my Ipod from a year or two back. This release could be one to really look out for. Very impressive tunes.

Anyway, as you can see this is all a very safe list of bands I am familiar with. If anyone has any tips on any new bands and releases I don't have there, I'd personally LOVE to see them. :)

heard that All Time Low is also a pop/punk type of band, never heard of them, are they any good ?

All Time Low are excellent. This should be a great CD. Their other 3 previous releases are all worth the effort too.

Also be sure to check out the new Simple Plan and Downtown Fiction discs, and Sparks to the Rescue put out a pretty good debut too, so here's hoping the new one's just as good. All of these bands are in that pop-punk style.

Another great band that's sadly no longer around was Houston Calls. They're worth checking out. And The Donots' 'Pocketrock' CD is brilliant. :)