John Arch & Jim Matheos(Fates Warning)

heaven&hell

Hopefully this has an old school Fates vibe and stays away from the more progressive feel of the last two decades of Fates releases. With 3/5 of the 'Awaken the Guardian' release the expectations are gonna be huge. I did love the two track ep that Jim did with John back eight years ago although it was a prog album I do hope that the new stuff is more Metal in the early 80's style but not sure if John can even sing in that style these days or not or if Jim can write in that style either but my hopes are high.

Jim Matheos (current member of the progressive rock powerhouse Fates Warning and OSI) and John Arch (former vocalist of Fates Warning) are currently working together on a new full-length album that will be released in late spring/early summer via Metal Blade Records.

The band, called Arch/Matheos, began tracking the drums on January 12 and will continue to record through mid February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album. Arch/Matheos features an all-star lineup including the talents of Joey Vera on bass (Armored Saint, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Seven Witches), Bobby Jarzombek on drums (Halford, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, Riot), and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar (Fates Warning). More details will be released over the coming months so be sure to stay tuned.

• 6 months later...

Just been listening to the 2 tracks available on Youtube and they sound really good. I'm not a prog metal fan at all, but Fates Warning are the exception to that and this stuff sounds great. The album is out next week. Another one for the list, then...

• 4 weeks later...

One spin through and I have to say this buries the new Dream Theater disc.

While I think the DT is good, hell it's very good, it's much more laid back where the new A/M is much heavier and in your face and John Arch just sounds god like. Plus you get 4/5 of Fates Warning. The word is that this new band/project is doing a live date or two in Europe soon. I wish I could be there.

While I think the DT is good, hell it's very good, it's much more laid back where the new A/M is much heavier and in your face and John Arch just sounds god like. Plus you get 4/5 of Fates Warning. The word is that this new band/project is doing a live date or two in Europe soon. I wish I could be there.

I like Fates Warning, but I hate Dream Theater. Do I need medical help?

I've been able to listen to this once and it's excellent. After more spins and the chance to wrap my head around it, I feel that it's going to be stellar.

Kind of ironic but Arch still has a major set of pipes. Alder, on the other hand, has been less than impressive on any recent material (imo of course).

You are 100% healthy. :beerbang:

• 3 weeks later...

You are 100% healthy. :beerbang:

I prefer Fates over DT too but I do like DT but the first 3 or 4 Fates albums are just special IMO and Arch is one of the great Metal singers ever.

I've been able to listen to this once and it's excellent. After more spins and the chance to wrap my head around it, I feel that it's going to be stellar.

Kind of ironic but Arch still has a major set of pipes. Alder, on the other hand, has been less than impressive on any recent material (imo of course).

It gets better with each spin. :headbanger: