Houston, Serpentine & Vega

Rockposer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going too with my Bro.

At last a chance to meet the 'Rockposer'!!

I'll be in touch nearer the time, and we can have a beer and talk shite.....Im an expert at both ;-))

Cheers

That's so ridiculous it makes me kind of angry. :lol: I thought the Houston and Serpentine CDs were solid and the Vega disc was great... but the opportunity to see all 3 on one night, and for 10 pounds? Utter craziness. Almost worth getting a plane ticket and joining you guys... almost. ;)

but the opportunity to see all 3 on one night, and for 10 pounds? Utter craziness.

That's what I thought. Any AOR fan in the London area that doesnt grab this is mad. Best deal Ive seen for years (literally!).

I might really try to go there. I just need to organize a business trip and combine things. Let's see ... ! :guitbannana:

but the opportunity to see all 3 on one night, and for 10 pounds? Utter craziness.

That's what I thought. Any AOR fan in the London area that doesnt grab this is mad. Best deal Ive seen for years (literally!).

:whistle:

I can see your point, but I'm just not into these bands. Mind you, if it ends up being a big HH meeting.....

I can see your point, but I'm just not into these bands. Mind you, if it ends up being a big HH meeting.....

I wasnt including you as an aor fan ;-) lol.

I wasnt including you as an aor fan ;-) lol.

Ouch. Fair enough though. I like a lot of AOR, but there's far more that I don't like.

If Harlan Cage turn up in London, maybe I'll see you there! :)

Apparently Matt Black will be taking over Serpentine's vocal duties from Tony Mills

a094054dbec1701697d2ee2b74d29d4efb0fafb0_550x376_Q75.jpeg

Yeah I read that too...hopefully they will be better now as I do find Mills vocals quite annoying.

A bit mis-leading that flyer, as 2 of them are playing FF in Oct ???!

Apparently Matt Black will be taking over Serpentine's vocal duties from Tony Mills

a094054dbec1701697d2ee2b74d29d4efb0fafb0_550x376_Q75.jpeg

Yeah I read that too...hopefully they will be better now as I do find Mills vocals quite annoying.

A bit mis-leading that flyer, as 2 of them are playing FF in Oct ???!

Wow, that's good news. I don't know who Matt Black is but Serpentine have a good CD under their belt, and with another vocalist and beefier production it might have been pretty great. I think they'll do well without Mills.

And James, wow. You like Harlan Cage but not any of these bands? wtf? I'd even take Houston and Serpentine over Harlan Cage anyday, but Vega are lightyears better than Harlan Cage, imo. No contest there at all if you ask me. :)

And James, wow. You like Harlan Cage but not any of these bands? wtf? I'd even take Houston and Serpentine over Harlan Cage anyday, but Vega are lightyears better than Harlan Cage, imo. No contest there at all if you ask me. :)

It's all about the songs. Harlan Cage have produced some of my favourite songs of all time (the 'Forbidden Colors' album is incredible). Due to the response to Vega on HH, I've tried to like them and listened to some of their songs several times. But nothing. I'm completely indifferent. Same goes for Houston really, nice sounding AOR, but the songs just seem boring. I'll revisit them and try Serpentine over the weekend, but I'm not optimistic. (In fact, I'm not optimistic that I'll ever find an AOR song that tops 'Thrill of It All'!)

Dan - thanks for the lift offer, really appreciate that. I don't think I can make it, but if I can I'll give you a shout. Cheers! :tumbsup:

It's all about the songs. Harlan Cage have produced some of my favourite songs of all time (the 'Forbidden Colors' album is incredible). Due to the response to Vega on HH, I've tried to like them and listened to some of their songs several times. But nothing. I'm completely indifferent. Same goes for Houston really, nice sounding AOR, but the songs just seem boring. I'll revisit them and try Serpentine over the weekend, but I'm not optimistic. (In fact, I'm not optimistic that I'll ever find an AOR song that tops 'Thrill of It All'!)

Yeah Im not sure I'd take Houston or Serpentine over Harlan Cage..The album James mentions is their best and pretty damned good in my book.

BUT, despite 'Thrill Of It All' being good AOR, Im surprised you label it the 'best aor song ever'??

I mean judging that you like this style, surely a song like Journey's 'Separate Ways' absolutely wipes the floor with this??

Yeah Im not sure I'd take Houston or Serpentine over Harlan Cage..The album James mentions is their best and pretty damned good in my book.

BUT, despite 'Thrill Of It All' being good AOR, Im surprised you label it the 'best aor song ever'??

I mean judging that you like this style, surely a song like Journey's 'Separate Ways' absolutely wipes the floor with this??

Couple of points:

1) I'm only a 'part time' AOR fan. Some of it rocks my feckin' world, but a lot of it leaves me cold, despite excellent reviews from you guys. I'm certainly no authority on AOR, it's just that I emjoy listening to some of it.

2) I didn't mean it was the best AOR song ever, just that I doubt I will ever again hear an AOR song for the first time that I prefer to that track. Yes, 'Separate Ways' is awesome, as are 'Edge of the Blade' and 'Don't Stop Believin'. Not sure I prefer any of them to 'A Little Rain', but it would be a close call. In fact, my favourite AOR song of all time is probably 'Nobody Moves a Mountain' by 101 South.

There were several Harlan Cage songs I didn't mind either, about 3-4 great tunes of 'Forbidden Colours' especially, but as a general rule those guys really did have a bad habit of re-writing the same song over and over again. Got very tiresome after a few CDs, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Reckon you fellas might meet up for a couple of beers before the gig?

Most certainly.

If it's not too late, it would be good to meet for a pint, but I can't go to the gig. Assuming you can tolerate a fat ginger Palace fan before your AOR fix. ;)

Most certainly.

If it's not too late, it would be good to meet for a pint, but I can't go to the gig. Assuming you can tolerate a fat ginger Palace fan before your AOR fix. ;)

Do I take it you'll be up London already?

Most certainly.

Do I take it you'll be up London already?

Yep, I work near Aldwych.

As already mentioned to Dan I will be staying at the Radisson Grafton Hotel (130 Tottenham Court Rd). Maybe a good place for a beer or 2 ?

Otherwise just let me know, but I am not so mobile as I don't have a car. But I am REALLY looking forward to this gig !!! :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

Couple of the better pubs near the venue:

The Blue Posts, Piccadilly is a short walk away and does quite good beer. The Three Greyhounds in Soho is nearer, beer is okay, but you might not see many females in there..... :o

I'm guessing the Radisson bar will be a tad expensive...