Spotify

JamesEagle

on the flip side of this........

Spotify pay $0.006 per stream.

Based on a $14 monthly subscription that would mean 2,333 tracks streamed before Spotify is out of pocket.

I doubt many people play more than 7 albums a day (except Geoff :whistle:) so they hardly ever lose out.

Surprised that record labels do not push for a better deal for them and their artists????

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL on the Geoff comment. I think since most people use the free version (the subscription one pays the artist a bit more, 1 cent in total per stream as opposed to 0.21 cents in the free version). For artist to earn more, Spotify would have to charge the ones running their ads on Spotify more, not sure if they can do that.

I do wonder how much an artist gets say on Frontiers gets per cd sale?

What do reckon - $1 ??

So say they sell 5000 cds - pretty good for our unknown artists - that would be $5000. End of.

Seems to me having a revenue stream from spotify or the like isnt too bad considering you would get paid forever while those tracks were available.

It might not be huge amounts for our genre but imagine some bigger acts - folk could be playing their albums for years to come.

Buddy, finally? This is a nice change! And, please, also remember that labels and artists use the whole internet infrastructure, which doesn't belong to them, to generate them money and general public, which "owns" a great percentage of this can enjoy easily and cheaply his music. It's like how now we have something (universe, life) instead of nothing. :tumbsup:

I hate Spotify but completely understand why it exists and is so popular. My concern is the artists always get shafted with everyone else making the largest chunk of coin. Back in the day they could get something when it came to the next album or contract negotiations if they had a hit, had the right sound etc. This is now gone.

I'm also disgusted that Spotify, iTunes etc. Get such a massive % of the returns for supplying the system/technology. At least the labels used to have to pay for recording, manufacturing, distribution, marketing etc.

It is what it is and it will not change but it doesn't mean it's fair.

We just need to hope that the cost of recording and technology keeps going down and the artists maintain the passion and fire.

To be honest mate i think this thread proves that artists get fuck all back from your beloved cds either - what with the retailer getting one and a half times more just for selling the damned thing.

So i wish people would stop being so damned precious about cds like its the be all and end all.

My conclusions from this thread have not really changed -

1. Dont illegally download cos then the artist gets nothing

2. Go and see bands live and buy merchadise - cos that is probably their best income source

2. Go and see bands live and buy merchadise - cos that is probably their best income source

No way I'm going to see again Praying Mantis or Joe Lynn Turner, buddy. There you go with your maxims. :tumbsup:

Btw, it will be nice to meat you in the next Bonfire tour. :whistle:

Another aspect to this discussion is the new/independent bands selling their self released CDs through their own website - we must support these guys IMO and buy their CDs direct from them.

No way I'm going to see again Praying Mantis or Joe Lynn Turner, buddy. There you go with your maxims. :tumbsup:

Btw, it will be nice to meat you in the next Bonfire tour. :whistle:

Ha. I saw Bonfire on the Point Blank tour. ...when they were good ;)

Another aspect to this discussion is the new/independent bands selling their self released CDs through their own website - we must support these guys IMO and buy their CDs direct from them.

Exactly. People are forgetting that many many artists are not signed to a label and have to release their stuff independently nowadays, so completely rely on sales of their 'beloved' little CD's. Our album cost quite a lot of money to make and even before/if we start making any money from it to go towards future stuff, we need to try to recuperate the costs. The only way to do this is by CD/Download sales and not tiny dribs and drabs of 0.007p from streaming Support independent bands by buying their stuff not using Spotify/Deezer

Exactly. People are forgetting that many many artists are not signed to a label and have to release their stuff independently nowadays, so completely rely on sales of their 'beloved' little CD's. Our album cost quite a lot of money to make and even before/if we start making any money from it to go towards future stuff, we need to try to recuperate the costs. The only way to do this is by CD/Download sales and not tiny dribs and drabs of 0.007p from streaming Support independent bands by buying their stuff not using Spotify/Deezer

£0.007 ;-)

Dont do yourself out of money.

Fair enough mate....perhaps in your case this is true.

But for a band like HEAT for example, they would make more money out of me if i streamed their music.

Ive prob played Address The Nation or at a few tracks every week since it was released.

Just saying.

I think Simo's comment earlier in this thread is v interesting.

I think it is quite sad that someone would not believe they would listen to an album more than 20 times.

Perhaps this is true of someone who has thousands of cds and gets each album off the rack about once every 5 years.

Im not like that. I am v selective in what i listen to and my top 10 in any one year has probably received 20- 50 plays each depending on what point in the year they are released. Thats just in the first year....let alone 10 years down the line.

So you can see that these artists will pretty quickly earn more out of me than a single £1 from a cd sale.

But i do completely get Jez's comment on independent artists.

• 2 weeks later...

What is a fair price for a self released album?

Been waiting for Francis Dunnery's new album, vampires, for ages and now it's out it's 30 dollars! 25 for digital downloads. Seems to me rather a lot?

I met Francis a few weeks ago. Genuinely decent human being. And very entertaining. I'd love to support him but this seems a bit steep?

I'm on Bill Leverty's (Firehouse guitarist) mailing list and get news whenever he releases new music. A lot of times it's single tracks as opposed to full albums. Now in the most recent one I got he writes you can get the new song on iTunes but he prefered it if fans downloaded it from his site directly so Apple doesn't take their ''30 %'' cut

What is a fair price for a self released album?

Been waiting for Francis Dunnery's new album, vampires, for ages and now it's out it's 30 dollars! 25 for digital downloads. Seems to me rather a lot?

I met Francis a few weeks ago. Genuinely decent human being. And very entertaining. I'd love to support him but this seems a bit steep?

im guessing the whole process is pretty expensive....recording / mixing / pressing / promotion, but $30 does seem v excessive!

I wouldn't pay that much.

We discussed this a lot before we released our album. £10/ $15 for the CD seemed a fair price. we don't want to overcharge, but we also need to try to make a few £'s back in the process. Everyone so far that has bought it seems to agree that is fair.

• 5 months later...

That probably doesn't add up to a penny ;)

Exactly. Prolly needs close to 100,000 streams.

He has 60-65 songs ( 4 full lengths, a couple of demos and appearances in various tributes) on spotify, with 2000 streams each on average. So 120X10^3 streams.

And my concern isn't about the total sum, but their ethics and business practices. Btw, I wasn't aware of the fact that you had to generate an X number of streams in order to receive payment. Thanks, for the info.

I 'd hate it if I had moral issues with them, because I'm huge proponent of their business model (solely based on the assumption that they pay their artists a share -the amount of which is irrelevant to my concern).

• My Little Pony

That probably doesn't add up to a penny ;)

Exactly. Prolly needs close to 100,000 streams.

He has 60-65 songs ( 4 full lengths, a couple of demos and appearances in various tributes) on spotify, with 2000 streams each on average. So 120X10^3 streams.

And my concern isn't about the total sum, but their ethics and business practices. Btw, I wasn't aware of the fact that you had to generate an X number of streams in order to receive payment. Thanks, for the info.

I 'd hate it if I had moral issues with them, because I'm huge proponent of their business model (solely based on the assumption that they pay their artists a share -the amount of which is irrelevant to my concern).

Isn't there a post within this thread that explains how it works?