Bad Habit

Glen

Anyone heard this yet? It's absolutely sensational. Their best yet.

More thoughts to follow, but anyone who liked Coup De Grace will love this.....very similar in style.

Cheers

Back in December 2009, I was really anxious for the new year so I could get the debut from Reckless Love and the newest Wig Wam.

Fast forward one year, to December 2010...... Well the time had arrived and I really had little to look forward to....maybe the newest Mr. Big, nah! not much of a fan, Hurstsmile...Hell no that sounded like crap, the new TNT, I'm actually a bigger Mr. Big fan, so no!!!

All of a sudden riding a glorious white horse or a light grey donkey, I really can't tell with the sun beaming in the background....Yes it is him, no not God, not Zorro but some English bloke I will call Glen comes out of the shadows and saves the month of January with a ray of hope.

A month when people are supposed to give up a BAD HABIT with the new year resolution, I'm feeling like getting a new BAD HABIT!!!

From the samples at NEH, albeit very short, this sounds pretty good. Once again the samples omit pretty much any instrumentation and most go straight to the chorus, but I hear potential. The Treat comparison is pretty accurate and reading the band members names, another Swedish band will rock my world. Last year I had Treat, Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx and Chris Laney from Sweden who put a smile on my face, let's hope the new BAD HABIT does the same.

Samples from NEH

Even after just one spin I'd go out on a limb and say this is better than Coup De Grace :-)

Check this beauty out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2LSZZFmc0

Other things to look forward to in January -

Magnum - The Visitation (17/01) - supposed to their best album in 20 years

Heartland - Travelling through Time (21/01)

Hell In The Club - Let The Games Begin (28/01) - promises to be an excellent slab of sleaze!

Miss Behaviour - Last Woman Standing (28/01) - sounds very promising to these ears!

Hope this improves your mood - looks like a pretty good start to what could be another awesome year!

Wow, I'm now really excited about this. I have actually really enjoyed every one of Bad Habit's releases, granted some more than others. I just assumed this'd be another nice collection of sexy melodic love songs. However, the comparisions to Treat, the suggestion that this may be there best yet and the hope from me that it's a heavier rocking collection of tunes... well, I'm excited! Cannot wait to hear it.

Yep, count me in too. Excellent disc! I could say this should easily make my top 10 this year, but then I made a fool out of myself by saying Taking Dawn would last year. :lol: Either way, this is excellent and a real return to form for these guys. I've enjoyed everything from them but this is on par with 'Revolution' if you ask me.

The only thing that may keep this off the top of my list is their insistence on (lyrically) writing the same sappy love song over and over again, but that aside, the actual complete songs are magnificent. Well done, guys.

Does sound promising.... have to say I did get bored with the lighter previous releases (some are on my trade list). Hopefully the rest of the album is like this!!!

Sounds pretty damn good to me after just one spin. This band always wrote stacks of killer songs & pretty much everything they've done has been worth picking up, they just had the guitars way too low in the mix on their last album. Plus the songs started to sound a bit samey, but they've cranked it up on this one...

I just got this one today and I've spun it only once. I must say I'm impressed. It has been compared to Treat and deservingly so. Is it as good as Coup De Grace....I don't think so. I wouldn't call this release a poor man's Treat, it really is damn good, but so far not as good.

Not sure if it would have made my top 10 of 2010, I've only heard it once as a whole. I'm sure I'll give it many more spins and my opinion on this one will more than likely change over time.

I've played this a few times now and - as always - it takes a few spins for the songs to sink-in. Whereas I think this is a step-up from the last disc they still haven't pushed things far enough for me. This opens with two killer tunes, in fact opener "In the Heat of the Night" has a tougher sound than they've had since the "Hear-Say" album and the use of keys is sprinkled over the guitar rather than to underpin the song. It's one of their best for a long time, and track 2 "Words are Not Enough" is equally impressive. The whole thing then dips back into the same fairly samey AOR they peddled on the last album, until "Angel of Mine" and "Fantasy" pick things back up. To follow the pattern of the last album the tracks then gradually get better until it closes with the killer "Without You". This comes nowehere close to the best of the genre from the last couple of years (the last H.E.A.T & Brother Firetribe albums totally outclass anything this band have released since "Revolution"). But at least they're not just re-writing the same songs over & over anymore, and any AOR fan should really own each & every Bad Habit album IMO...

But at least they're not just re-writing the same songs over & over anymore, and any AOR fan should really own each & every Bad Habit album IMO...

apart from the fact that the first track sounds exactly like 'Hunger' ;-)

I've played this a few times now and - as always - it takes a few spins for the songs to sink-in. Whereas I think this is a step-up from the last disc they still haven't pushed things far enough for me. This opens with two killer tunes, in fact opener "In the Heat of the Night" has a tougher sound than they've had since the "Hear-Say" album and the use of keys is sprinkled over the guitar rather than to underpin the song. It's one of their best for a long time, and track 2 "Words are Not Enough" is equally impressive. The whole thing then dips back into the same fairly samey AOR they peddled on the last album, until "Angel of Mine" and "Fantasy" pick things back up. To follow the pattern of the last album the tracks then gradually get better until it closes with the killer "Without You". This comes nowehere close to the best of the genre from the last couple of years (the last H.E.A.T & Brother Firetribe albums totally outclass anything this band have released since "Revolution"). But at least they're not just re-writing the same songs over & over anymore, and any AOR fan should really own each & every Bad Habit album IMO...

I've spun it a few more times and it does sound samey after awhile. Sorta like the White Widdow where is flows nicely but doesn't really bite. I like it,not going to be my fav of 2011 but I do like it.

I've spun it a few more times and it does sound samey after awhile. Sorta like the White Widdow where is flows nicely but doesn't really bite. I like it,not going to be my fav of 2011 but I do like it.

I do really hope that this isnt in my top 10 of 2011, cos that means its gonna an AWESOME year! lol

I do really hope that this isnt in my top 10 of 2011, cos that means its gonna an AWESOME year! lol

It's like the Oscar's (Academy Awards), The movies that get released in the winter/spring are often forgotten come year's end, however those that come out late in the year are rewarded. Same goes for my top cd lists. Bad Habit has to fight it out for 12 months to stay atop, yet releases like White Widdow and Vega were fresh when I made my top of 2010 list so they got some higher marks, it's my bad, but that's how I feel the day I make my list. I should wait until March the year after to post any fav list....but I could never wait that long.

I really doubt the Bad Habit will make my top 10, if it does It wasn,t nearly as strong a year in 2011 than 2010.

But at least they're not just re-writing the same songs over & over anymore, and any AOR fan should really own each & every Bad Habit album IMO...

You've just managed to completely spoil that first track now! Everytime I play it I think it sounds more & more like "Hunger" - in fact the chorus line and the song tempo are identical! "Hunger" is a great song but it was no better or worse than the rest of that killer album, whereas "In the Heat of the Night" is (arguably) a big highlight, along with the second track IMO, on the new disc. Shows how - even though the new disc is excellent - they're still some way from writing another "Revolution"....

You've just managed to completely spoil that first track now! Everytime I play it I think it sounds more & more like "Hunger" - in fact the chorus line and the song tempo are identical! "Hunger" is a great song but it was no better or worse than the rest of that killer album, whereas "In the Heat of the Night" is (arguably) a big highlight, along with the second track IMO, on the new disc. Shows how - even though the new disc is excellent - they're still some way from writing another "Revolution"....

Really........I think this is actually the most consistent album theyve done. Revolution for sure had 4 or 5 KILLER songs but, the quality certainly isnt that standard all the way through.

I think this is just about as good as the guys could have achieved. I mean what about track 3.....surely that's miles better than track 2 and the 'Hunger' clone....or am I listening to a different album??

I can feel a track by track coming on ;-))

Really........I think this is actually the most consistent album theyve done. Revolution for sure had 4 or 5 KILLER songs but, the quality certainly isnt that standard all the way through.

I think this is just about as good as the guys could have achieved. I mean what about track 3.....surely that's miles better than track 2 and the 'Hunger' clone....or am I listening to a different album??

I can feel a track by track coming on ;-))

Now I definitely don't agree with you. IMHO "After Hours" and "Revolution" are both virtually flawless, and this one is about 8/10 at best. They hardly ever write fillers (apart from on "Hear'Say") but they do have a tendency to re-write the same (cheesy) song over & over. Which is why their early stuff will always be the best IMO. In terms of "Atmosphere" I played it again this morning and the first 2 are definitely my picks, it dips with tracks 4 & 5, and then trails-off after the excellent "Fantasy" (or rather, I switch-off as the tracks all melt into one). The last track then ensures a good finish again. There's no real filler at all, but also about 4 or 5 songs that could've appeared on any Bad Habit album and is them phoning-it-in a bit...