If The Big 4 of Thrash Was The Big 5........

Big Four............or Big Five?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The big 4 were Americans, we can't deal with Sepultura (respect!), Kreator, Sodom or all the German, Canadian (Entropy) or whatever scene!

From the bands of the poll, Metal Church was not a thrash metal band, Testament was not an original one, Exodus had never had a killer album apart from the 1st & Overkill was a really confusing band.

From the old American thrash I do respect :

-Dark Angel (I have seen their name in NO.1 position in every old school thrashers' list regarding their legendary "darkness descends" but all the albums just kill!)

-Death Angel

-Sacred Reich

and my wisdom tooth is killing me so I can't think of any other band. Many guys have much respect about Whiplash from NJ (3 first albums) but I was never a big fan...

The big 4 were Americans, we can't deal with Sepultura (respect!), Kreator, Sodom or all the German, Canadian (Entropy) or whatever scene!

From the bands of the poll, Metal Church was not a thrash metal band, Testament was not an original one, Exodus had never had a killer album apart from the 1st & Overkill was a really confusing band.

From the old American thrash I do respect :

-Dark Angel (I have seen their name in NO.1 position in every old school thrashers' list regarding their legendary "darkness descends" but all the albums just kill!)

-Death Angel

-Sacred Reich

and my wisdom tooth is killing me so I can't think of any other band. Many guys have much respect about Whiplash from NJ (3 first albums) but I was never a big fan...

WHIPLASH?

I don't think they sold enough albums to ever be considered. Same reason I didn't include GOTHIC SLAM or FORCED ENTRY.

The point of this poll wasn't any disrespect to any bands I didn't list or bands from other countries. I took the idea from 'That Metal Show' and felt it'd be fun and used the bands they used and I threw in Metal Church. Sure they might not be "Thrash" by definition but to me they were still part of that scene after all they are part of the documentary "Get Thrashed". Also the Thrash scene started in America and it's those bands that make up the Big Four that get so much attention so that is another reason why I only used American bands as my options. Also naming every obscure thrash band doesn't mean anything as the Big Four just wasn't about them being good it was about them being the biggest in both influence and record sales. We all love the obscure but this poll isn't really about that, at least that wasn't the intention. I guess I could of left the "other" option out but everyone would of screamed "what about(insert band name here)?" Sometimes you just can't win.

The point of this poll wasn't any disrespect to any bands I didn't list or bands from other countries. I took the idea from 'That Metal Show' and felt it'd be fun and used the bands they used and I threw in Metal Church. Sure they might not be "Thrash" by definition but to me they were still part of that scene after all they are part of the documentary "Get Thrashed". Also the Thrash scene started in America and it's those bands that make up the Big Four that get so much attention so that is another reason why I only used American bands as my options. Also naming every obscure thrash band doesn't mean anything as the Big Four just wasn't about them being good it was about them being the biggest in both influence and record sales. We all love the obscure but this poll isn't really about that, at least that wasn't the intention. I guess I could of left the "other" option out but everyone would of screamed "what about(insert band name here)?" Sometimes you just can't win.

Sorry Wes!

I got caught up on the Topic and not following the Topic in Hand.

I would have to go with Testament, Kreator, Exodus, Annihilator, and Overkill.

I thought you would went with Nuclear Assault and chose the "other" option.

I would have but they don't have the longevity or the catalog to really be considered along with Laaz Rockit and Vio-lence.

Exodus deserves that fifth spot, followed very closely by Testament.

Testament's songs are sooooooo much better than Exodus's imo. So many classic songs and so varied. I have music by both bands and have seen both live and Testament are miles better for me.

Testament's songs are sooooooo much better than Exodus's imo. So many classic songs and so varied. I have music by both bands and have seen both live and Testament are miles better for me.

I strongly disagree with this statement.Exodus are the epitome of thrash metal. Testament is a good band, no doubt about it, but more of a ''non thrasher's'' favorite band.They have some classic songs, but not more ''classic songs'' than Exodus; and the're certainly not more varied than Exodus. I can admit Testament have the more flashy lead guitar player , but anyway thrash's not about classy guitar solos...thrash's about sweat, guts, beer and attitude,....which Exodus were plenty of.

I strongly disagree with this statement.Exodus are the epitome of thrash metal. Testament is a good band, no doubt about it, but more of a ''non thrasher's'' favorite band.They have some classic songs, but not more ''classic songs'' than Exodus; and the're certainly not more varied than Exodus. I can admit Testament have the more flashy lead guitar player , but anyway thrash's not about classy guitar solos...thrash's about sweat, guts, beer and attitude,....which Exodus were plenty of.

Fair enough, that's why I was quite explicit about this being my opinion. People will always disagree, especially about something as emotive as music. For me it's all about the songs and although I love thrash, I find all-out speed quite boring. Testament does slow, fast, great guitar, fantastic vocals and above all, brilliant songs, so for me the best thrash band of all. But I don't expect many people to see it the way I do!

Fair enough, that's why I was quite explicit about this being my opinion. People will always disagree, especially about something as emotive as music. For me it's all about the songs and although I love thrash, I find all-out speed quite boring.

But Exodus is not at all a band that always plays ''all out speed''; they have some of the most infectiously catchy mid tempo thrashers:And Then There Were None,Brain Dead,Till Death do Us Part,Toxic Waltz,Cajun Hell,Within The Walls of Chaos,Lunatic Parade,Architect of Pain, and so on...

Fair enough, that's why I was quite explicit about this being my opinion. People will always disagree, especially about something as emotive as music. For me it's all about the songs and although I love thrash, I find all-out speed quite boring.

But Exodus is not at all a band that always plays ''all out speed''; they have some of the most infectiously catchy mid tempo thrashers:And Then There Were None,Brain Dead,Till Death do Us Part,Toxic Waltz,Cajun Hell,Within The Walls of Chaos,Lunatic Parade,Architect of Pain, and so on...

Fair point again, but this is where we disagree: For example, Toxic Waltz is one of the most lauded Exodus songs. Yeah, it's not bad, but it's not a patch on most Testament songs imo. Take anything from 'Souls of Black', which is widely seen to be one of the poorer Testament albums and I prefer it to pretty much anything I've heard by Exodus.

Fair point again, but this is where we disagree: For example, Toxic Waltz is one of the most lauded Exodus songs. Yeah, it's not bad, but it's not a patch on most Testament songs imo. Take anything from 'Souls of Black', which is widely seen to be one of the poorer Testament albums and I prefer it to pretty much anything I've heard by Exodus.

It's clearly a matter of taste ,then. I could also say: ''take anything from Impact is Imminent, which is seen to be one of the poorer Exodus albums and i prefer it to pretty much anything by Testament(save The Legacy, which is fuckin awesome).''

Sorry Wes!

I got caught up on the Topic and not following the Topic in Hand.

No worries you did nothing wrong. :drink: