If The Big 4 of Thrash Was The Big 5........

Big Four............or Big Five?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm stealing this from that Metal Show but I liked the topic.

I know there's so many other thrash bands out there and that's why only listed the next bigger four bands and left the other option for those that want to pick an unlisted band.

My pick is Testament. Although they came a little late to the game(1987) they were the most musical IMO plus they never changed singers with Chuck Billy singing on all of their releases and except for the Death Metal of the 'Demonic' release they never had a misstep IMO.

My second pick would be Overkill. They are so underrated and have been around as long as Anthrax but for some reason they never got as maninstream as Anthrax. It might of been Blitz's vocals might be a little tough for some people but then again Mustains and Megadeth found success with his voice so I'm not sure what happened to Overkill. They really only had the one bad album as well(I Hear Black).

My third pick would be Metal Church. Those first five discs are all killer and loved both of the early vocalists but preferred the second vocalist. Some might argue that Metal Church wasn't thrash but to me they were.

Exodus by all accounts should be part of the big four since they've been around just as long as Metallica and Slayer but 'Bonded for Blood' didn't come out until 1985 and then the vocalist change might of set them back. Although they did have the hit with "Toxic Waltz" for some reason they never capitilized on that momentum. Based on recent output they seem to be the biggest band over the last decade with them still putting out quality heavy thrash metal and consistently touring.

All good choices but Overkill is my boyz so they get my vote! :beerbang:

All good choices but Overkill is my boyz so they get my vote! :beerbang:

I didn't see that coming. :whistle:

What no reason why they're your fav? :crying:

Off topic but on That Metal Show last night they picked their top 5 thrash albums and one of those comedians that you hate picked your boys Raven and 'Rock till you Drop' album. :banger:

Good poll. I love Testament and Metal Church, 2 incredible bands, but I wouldn't class Metal Church as thrash, so it had to be Testament. I love Overkill too, but Testament are better imo. The early Testament releases speak for themselves, but even albums like 'Practice What You Preach' and 'Souls of Black', which didn't receive very good reviews, are awesome thrash albums. A criminally underrated band, the true kings of thrash for me.

Even though I like Metal Church the best in this group, I don't think Metal Church is "thrash" enough. I'd say Testament first, Exodus second and Overkill third.

What no reason why they're your fav?

Well...um...cuz they f*ckin' rule. They've been around 25 years, have only released one sh*tty album (I HEAR BLACK) and never sold out. Isn't that enough?

Off topic but on That Metal Show last night they picked their top 5 thrash albums and one of those comedians that you hate picked your boys Raven and 'Rock till you Drop' album.

Cool. They may be idiots but at least they have taste. :lol:

Well...um...cuz they f*ckin' rule. They've been around 25 years, have only released one sh*tty album (I HEAR BLACK) and never sold out. Isn't that enough?

Off topic but on That Metal Show last night they picked their top 5 thrash albums and one of those comedians that you hate picked your boys Raven and 'Rock till you Drop' album.

Cool. They may be idiots but at least they have taste. :lol:

Yes Overkills first five albums are killer especially UNDER THE INFLUENCE and HORRORSCOPE. The only reason I picked Testament is because they are probably the next most popular and by far the weakest of the ones mentioned, their border line thrash more progressive/power metal IMO.

Yes that is a good enough reason and I agree on the lack of sell out and one shitty album but I'm nowhere near the Overkillologist(is that a word?) that you are. :headbanger:

Good poll. I love Testament and Metal Church, 2 incredible bands, but I wouldn't class Metal Church as thrash, so it had to be Testament. I love Overkill too, but Testament are better imo. The early Testament releases speak for themselves, but even albums like 'Practice What You Preach' and 'Souls of Black', which didn't receive very good reviews, are awesome thrash albums. A criminally underrated band, the true kings of thrash for me.

Amen brother. :banger:

I myself lean toward Overkill... but I can see Testament getting a lot of votes.

- one vote for Overkill here -

I'm nowhere near the Overkillologist(is that a word?) that you are. :headbanger:

"Overkillologist?" Cool. I should get that printed on a diploma or something. :lol:

I'd go SEPULTURA. I know they are a million miles from the consistency of Overkill/Testament etc, but they still made two of the best thrash albums of all-time...

Is there a reason why all the bands are from america?

I would have to go with Other option and went with SEPULTURA..

That would raise the stakes and bring more dollars to the tour.. :tumbsup:

Good call! 'Beneath The Remains' is one of the best thrash records for sure. What about Destruction? Their albums were a major influence on the whole black/death metal genre and 'Release From Agony' is an other gem imo. :headbanger:

The reason I only used American bands is that the Thrash movement was an American movement and all the bands that ever get discussed as needing to get more credit along with the Big four are always American. Sure there are great thrash bands from other countries(Germany, Brazil, Canada to name a few)but the movement started here and the big four are all American and the next most popular bands(outside of maybe Sepultura)were American IMO. Plus this whole poll was taken from That Metal Show and they only included the above bands listed(minus Metal Church). :headbanger:

Good call! 'Beneath The Remains' is one of the best thrash records for sure. What about Destruction? Their albums were a major influence on the whole black/death metal genre and 'Release From Agony' is an other gem imo. :headbanger:

Kreator as well.. :banger:

I voted for Overkill. Cause well They kicked ASS for 25 years and counting!!!! :beerbang:

Other good choices would be..

Kreator

Destruction

Exciter

Dark Angel

Death Angel

Sepultura [Least the albums with Max]

Nothing against those bands but when you account for popularity and album sales do you really think they should be talked about along with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax?

IMO Sepultura is the only one that should get any consideration to be a 5th band but I really don't think they compare to the ones listed in the poll.