Name an obscure (ish) classic album!

Nick C

I'm surprised this hasn't been reissued on c.d. yet. A forgotten canadian band..

QUEEN CITY KIDS-BLACK BOX

15167.jpg

Side One:

Dance

Girls

In Your Eyes

Chains

Crazy In Love

Side Two:

Black Box

Ripped Off

Looking For You

Rock 'N' Roll Junkie

Bangin' On The Door

Kinda Influenced by Our Old Smith..Ahh, I mean Aerosmith

what year is this?

I'm surprised this hasn't been reissued on c.d. yet. A forgotten canadian band..

15167.jpg

Side One:

Dance

Girls

In Your Eyes

Chains

Crazy In Love

Side Two:

Black Box

Ripped Off

Looking For You

Rock 'N' Roll Junkie

Bangin' On The Door

what year is this?

Epic records

The BREIT Bros - s/t

BreitBros-same-front.jpg

I have taken this text from a blog as I couldn't write it any better:

The Breit Bros. were from Toronto, Ontario. They were Gary, Garth and Kevin Breit and Ian DeSouza. They were signed to BMG records and released their self-titled debut in 1988. Their sound was roots based rock which enabled the band to gain radio support at both rock and alternative stations. The album had a few singles and got some decent radio and video play. The song "Slow Train" really shows off the band's ability to craft the perfect country pop song. Kevin's guitar playing is so addictive it makes you want to listen to this track 50 times over. The album was recorded in a bunch of places including England, Toronto, New York and at the Lanois Brother's studios on Grant Ave. in Hamilton. As far as it is known, this was their only release. It was produced by Tom Treumuth, who was a man with the golden touch in Canada, bringing bands like Honeymoon Suite, Helix and Big Sugar to the public ear. Both Gary and Kevin Breit would go on to become successful session players for many famous artists like Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Kim Mitchell and Bryan Adams. Both are still active in music today. There are numerous videos of Kevin's unique style of guitar playing on You Tube to enjoy. The Breit Bros. debut album is a difficult find today. You can hear the song "Slow Train" on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFBMs1lUkwk).

Tracks:

1. Going down

2. Hold me right

3. You'll never be without me

4. Slow Train

5. Run from the Fire

6. One Man's Climate

7. Wide World

8. Magdalene

9. Cause we had it all

10. Feel my Body shaking

HIGHLY recommended !!

15167.jpg

Side One:

Dance

Girls

In Your Eyes

Chains

Crazy In Love

Side Two:

Black Box

Ripped Off

Looking For You

Rock 'N' Roll Junkie

Bangin' On The Door

what year is this?

Epic records

Great album, I have their 1st too....the only CD release was a Best of QCK - featuring a selection of songs from both albums - which I always regret picking up when I saw it as it goes for a small fortune these days.

15167.jpg

Side One:

Dance

Girls

In Your Eyes

Chains

Crazy In Love

Side Two:

Black Box

Ripped Off

Looking For You

Rock 'N' Roll Junkie

Bangin' On The Door

what year is this?

Epic records

Great album, I have their 1st too....the only CD release was a Best of QCK - featuring a selection of songs from both albums - which I always regret picking up when I saw it as it goes for a small fortune these days.

Thanx for the info Nick :tumbsup:

I'll keep my eyes out for it..

• 6 months later...

Can I take me a whack at this?

Red Sea - BLOOD (Rugged Records, 1994)

0-----------_2008_5_00_31_Red%2520Sea%2520-%2520Blood.jpg

Red Sea was a "one and done" Christian hard rock project led by former Die Happy vocalist Robyn "Kyle" Basauri. Die Happy had started out as a traditional heavy metal project with a hint of thrash, but their VOLUME II album (1993) left a lot of that sound behind and instead shifted towards a more blues-based hard rock vibe, similar to that of Badlands. (Coincidentally, former Badlands bassist Greg Chaisson joined Die Happy just prior to the recording of VOLUME II.) Die Happy released a live-in-the-studio EP in late '93 before splitting up, and Basauri quickly regrouped with Chaisson, guitarist Chris Howell (of Fear Not) and drummer Jeff Martin (Chaisson's former Badlands bandmate) under the RED SEA banner. Their one and only album, BLOOD, was released on the fledgling Rugged Records label in 1994.

Quite simply, this disc blows away any of Basauri's work with Die Happy, and it is on par (or perhaps even BETTER) than that legendary first Badlands album when it comes to straight up, bluesy '70s style hard rock/metal. Must hear tracks include the opening "Soul Shaker," the moody "Wolves at the Door," the crunchy "Hellbound Train" and especially the amazing "Shades of Purple," a salute to Gillan, Blackmore & Co. that I swear sounds like a lost Deep Purple B-Side from the MACHINE HEAD era. Basauri's wailing his ass off ala Gillan while Howell rips out a wall of Ritchie inspired riffs and the Jon Lord style keyboardisms are in full effect, it's awesome!!!

Unfortunately BLOOD would be the one and only album from this promising band. Whether its failure was due to the hazards of being signed to a brand new, inexperienced record label, or simply the fact that this sort of music was hopelessly out of vogue in 1994 depends on who you ask, I guess. Either way, it's a fine hard rock album that still holds up well today and is worth seeking out.

Hey, thanks so much for mentioning these guys. I have never heard of them, but, damn, from the youtube clip, I think I am in love! Definitely Badlands style. Awesome!!!!

Hey, thanks so much for mentioning these guys. I have never heard of them, but, damn, from the youtube clip, I think I am in love! Definitely Badlands style. Awesome!!!!

Happy to be of service, sir. Seek and enjoy! :tumbsup:

Happy to be of service, sir. Seek and enjoy! :tumbsup:

Holy shit...just checked them out on youtube as well......and I shall be picking this one up!!

• 7 months later...

Here's one I've cherished for years

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Look at Your Life, Your Mama, Find a Way, My Lady, Lonely World.

Side 2

She Does, Running Out of Time, Hold on to Your Woman, Living Alone, Power and Glory

Band is/was:

Brian Eads - Drums, Sam Lee - Bass and vocals, John Ehlert - Guitars, Lead Vocals, Tim Biesemeyer - Keyboards.

I can't find a bad song on the album, it's style is a kind of AORy rock, not fluffy AOR more rocky...I dunno maybe not a million miles away the sound on band of the moment Roadmasters Fortress album just bouncier haha!

I found a few songs on you tube to check out (some start with a short 5 second advert before the song kicks in)

As far as I know they only did this release BUT digging around I found this snippet

"In the meantime, my roommate Brian had gotten together with two ex-members of Mist (Johnny Ehlert and Sam Lee) and keyboardist Tim Biesemeyer to form the hard rock band Rampage. Rampage played the circuit for eleven years, becoming extremely popular. (I did some of their promo shots, as well as the art for the cover of their second release.)"

Here's the associated graphic

Rampage.jpg

I'm wondering if it was a cassette release judging by the artwork - as this is all brand new news to me...if anyone knows more or can EVEN link me up to a copy .... woweeeeeee!!! :headbanger:

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Side 2

She Does, Running Out of Time, Hold on to Your Woman, Living Alone, Power and Glory

Band is/was:

Brian Eads - Drums, Sam Lee - Bass and vocals, John Ehlert - Guitars, Lead Vocals, Tim Biesemeyer - Keyboards.

I can't find a bad song on the album, it's style is a kind of AORy rock, not fluffy AOR more rocky...I dunno maybe not a million miles away the sound on band of the moment Roadmasters Fortress album just bouncier haha!

I found a few songs on you tube to check out (some start with a short 5 second advert before the song kicks in)

As far as I know they only did this release BUT digging around I found this snippet

"In the meantime, my roommate Brian had gotten together with two ex-members of Mist (Johnny Ehlert and Sam Lee) and keyboardist Tim Biesemeyer to form the hard rock band Rampage. Rampage played the circuit for eleven years, becoming extremely popular. (I did some of their promo shots, as well as the art for the cover of their second release.)"

Rampage.jpg

I'm wondering if it was a cassette release judging by the artwork - as this is all brand new news to me...if anyone knows more or can EVEN link me up to a copy .... woweeeeeee!!! :headbanger:

Wow a blast from the past that one mate, I remember buying the vinyl back in the day. How I would love to have a CD release of this one. 'Running Out Of Time' was a killer tune

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Side 2

Band is/was:

Rampage.jpg

Wow a blast from the past that one mate, I remember buying the vinyl back in the day. How I would love to have a CD release of this one. 'Running Out Of Time' was a killer tune

Ive seen this somewhere... didnt Rock Candy rerelease this?

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Side 2

Band is/was:

Rampage.jpg

Ive seen this somewhere... didnt Rock Candy rerelease this?

Unfortunately not mate.

My first attempt, not sure if this is obscure enough, but here goes:

Virus - Lunacy

Thrash band from the UK, I had this on cassette back in the day. It was pretty decent thrash, with one excellent standout track, 'My Life'.

Anyone heard this?

lunacy.jpg

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Side 2

Band is/was:

Rampage.jpg

I have the tracks in 192k quality, if anyone is interested.

Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost (USA) s/t "Paradise Lost", 1989, Gold Dust / MCA

David Privett - vocals

Allan Phelps - guitar

Dale Howard - guitar

David Howard - drums

Mark Seely - keyboards, bass

A good friend of mine recommended this one to me as a "defend your shitty taste" album. What that translates to is something you like but noone else does. Well, I actually like it as well. Not going to try and describe them, check it out for yourself.

Virus - Lunacy

Thrash band from the UK, I had this on cassette back in the day. It was pretty decent thrash, with one excellent standout track, 'My Life'.

Anyone heard this?

lunacy.jpg

Heard OF 'em but not sure if I've ever heard 'em. If memory serves they got a lot of press/advertising in U.K. mags like Metal Hammer and Metal Forces back in the day. Didn't they also have an album called FORCE RECON?

Virus - Lunacy

Anyone heard this?

lunacy.jpg

Heard OF 'em but not sure if I've ever heard 'em. If memory serves they got a lot of press/advertising in U.K. mags like Metal Hammer and Metal Forces back in the day. Didn't they also have an album called FORCE RECON?

Oh yeah, Force Recon. I got that on casette plus their first(?) album but I never really liked them. They were quite boring stuffs. Btw I didn't hear the Lunacy album.

Rampage-1983.jpg

Rampage - s/t

Fastlane Records

Side1

Side 2

Band is/was:

Rampage.jpg

I have the tracks in 192k quality, if anyone is interested.

Yes please my good man :headbanger:

• 1 year later...
  • My Little Pony

One from me:

Silly Fools - 'The One'

http://www.myspace.com/sillyfoolsmusic

the-one-limited-cd-cover.jpg

silly_fools.jpg?et=f89xU%2CiRykyWlIbfTrx

I have tried to not make this album a stranger to the forum and I have posted threads etc, but only a few of the brave took a leap on it. As far as I know, everyone who did take the leap did enjoy the album a lot. It does have a slight modern touch, but it's melodic hard rock at it's purest and simplest. The guitarist - when he lets rip a few times on the disc - is Pete Lesperence at his best-esque and quite simply brilliant. And the songs are just so simple and purely written (the band is from Thailand and English is not their forte), but deliciously emotive and heartfelt. Anyway, not much more I can say about this I haven't said in other threads... I just see this album as utterly essential to anyone.

I finally got around to this. Yep. Brilliant! Play this for anyone, and not a single person will think they're from Thailand. Or that English isn't their first language. Not that that is an issue for me - I'm one of the few that actually enjoy foreign accents in my music - but I could not believe how he sounds.

CCM/AOR singer Rick Crawford and his two albums, "Be Still My Heart" - 1989 and "Our Town" - 1991. Recorded and produced by Matthew Ward and sounding very much like him. Great vocals and musicianship, also reminding of fellow CCM artists Kenny Marks and Steve Camp.

be-still-my-heart.jpg?w=596&h=600

our-town1.jpg?w=675&h=677

• 4 years later...
On 10/19/2010 at 11:18 PM, Jez said:

Dear Mr. President - S/T 1988

8fc7729fd7a0e9e2af140110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

558447.jpg

This features on the main HH site and has been mentioned by a few people before, not very favourably in some depts. At the time of it's release, it seemed to completely go under the radar - it was a major label album on Atlantic, had Mick Jones of Foreigner in the production seat and obviously had some $'s thrown at it, as it sounds a million dollars. Very hard to pigeonhole this band and probably one of the reasons why they never took off, as image wise they had the sort of sleazy thing going on, but musically were alot more eclectic than that. I first heard the track 'Flesh And Blood' and absolutely loved it (still do and definitely the highlight of the album)and 'What's The World Coming To', 'Hey Daddy Have You Ever Been Arrested?' and the creepy 'Who Killed Santa Claus', which are also good. They changed their name to 'Flesh And Blood' and re-released the album in slightly edited form as 'Dead White And Blue'. Anyway, I think it's a cracking disc if you are looking for someting a little different.

Hi Guys Long time reader, first time poster. I loved this album back in the day, I still own it, plus the re-release Flesh and Blood both on CD, Vinyl and even CD Long boxes!

Just wanted to let anyone who is interested , or doesn't have it, one of the members gave me a copy of the Unreleased second album on Atlantic, its a great copy and equally, if not better than the first album.