Name an obscure (ish) classic album!

Nick C

Where to begin? I was initially going to start with a controversial album, as I've noticed that no one has made such a post, yet. Instead, I've decided to travel the road Geoff took. I may have mentioned these guys on this site before, but, with four albums under their belt (three full length and one acoustic EP), The Classic Crime still seem to fly under the radar.

I still remember the first time I heard The Classic Crime. I was sifting through the "Rock" section at one of the local music stores, in 2006, and, as usual, I was very unimpressed. I headed over to the wall where there were demo CDs for previewing. I recall skipping through a few unforgettably forgettable CDs, before I stumbled upon Albatross. It was something I hadn't heard in a while. What I heard was modern melodic hard rock with a late nineties punk edge. It was old, but it was new. That album received top airtime around my house, still no one knew who they were. In 2007, they released an acoustic EP of all original music, that further displayed their artistic abilities. The following year they dropped an album that, to this day, still gets played on a regular basis.

Nearly every playlist I make has a couple tracks from The Silver Chord. This third effort--second full length--is their strongest compilation, and most diverse. It's dark and heavy, yet light and gentle. It's an album that takes many different elements--melodic rockers, soft moody tunes, an instrumental, a little punk, and even some progressive elements--and seemlessly... er, seems... them... together. Seemlessly. At least one track could fit into a plethora of different mixes. I'm not really inclined to going through each track--hell--I don't even feel like listing any highlights, as that is all relevant, and the entire 55 minutes is true brilliance.

The Silver Chord

ClassiccrimeSILVERCHORD.jpg

The End

Just A Man

Gravedigging

The Way That You Are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0qtklZ43A

Salt in the Snow

Abracadavers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDP6qHFKChc&ob=av2e

R&R

God and Drugs

Medisin

The Ascent

Sing

Everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnHRWQTreXQ

Closer Than We Think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nt4_3lzYiA

The Beginning (A Simple Seed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BbXRbhK6rc

Enjoy. Hopefully.

P.S. I'm really enjoying this thread, and am excited to discover some under-appreciated gems!

Nice one mate. Good band, and their new album 'Vagabonds' is impressive too. Verses not so impressive this time 'round but each time the chorus comes around they do a solid job. Yeah, good reliable band.

One from me:

Silly Fools - 'The One'

http://www.myspace.com/sillyfoolsmusic

the-one-limited-cd-cover.jpg

silly_fools.jpg?et=f89xU%2CiRykyWlIbfTrxIug&nmid=

I have tried to not make this album a stranger to the forum and I have posted threads etc, but only a few of the brave took a leap on it. As far as I know, everyone who did take the leap did enjoy the album a lot. It does have a slight modern touch, but it's melodic hard rock at it's purest and simplest. The guitarist - when he lets rip a few times on the disc - is Pete Lesperence at his best-esque and quite simply brilliant. And the songs are just so simple and purely written (the band is from Thailand and English is not their forte), but deliciously emotive and heartfelt. Anyway, not much more I can say about this I haven't said in other threads... I just see this album as utterly essential to anyone.

Even though its a Geoff suggestion... this is one awesome disc!! just wish i could get it. Its some of my most played mp3s.

Yes, where can one get a copy from ? :unsure:

Hey guys,

Go here:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=38234

It is an impossible CD to get but both Justin and I got it from here at a good price when it was on some kind of special, I think. It's up at us$20 at the moment (with free worldwide shipping) which is still a great price if you ask me, especially for you, Matt, considering the dollar is so strong. Honestly, I think the CD is so impossible to get and the price isn't that bad... for a CD that good I personally think it's well worth it. Trust me guys, it's a good'un.

As for anywhere else to buy it, I don't think there's anywhere else in the world. :lol:

NOTE: Don't be fooled by the us8.50 version of the CD of the same name - 'The One'. That is the Thai ONLY version. The version in my link has the English Version plus the Thai Version. Hope a few of y'all take a chance and enjoy. :)

One from me:

Silly Fools - 'The One'

http://www.myspace.com/sillyfoolsmusic

the-one-limited-cd-cover.jpg

silly_fools.jpg?et=f89xU%2CiRykyWlIbfTrxIug&nmid=

I have tried to not make this album a stranger to the forum and I have posted threads etc, but only a few of the brave took a leap on it. As far as I know, everyone who did take the leap did enjoy the album a lot. It does have a slight modern touch, but it's melodic hard rock at it's purest and simplest. The guitarist - when he lets rip a few times on the disc - is Pete Lesperence at his best-esque and quite simply brilliant. And the songs are just so simple and purely written (the band is from Thailand and English is not their forte), but deliciously emotive and heartfelt. Anyway, not much more I can say about this I haven't said in other threads... I just see this album as utterly essential to anyone.

Even though its a Geoff suggestion... this is one awesome disc!! just wish i could get it. Its some of my most played mp3s.

Yes, where can one get a copy from ? :unsure:

Hey guys,

Go here:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=38234

It is an impossible CD to get but both Justin and I got it from here at a good price when it was on some kind of special, I think. It's up at us$20 at the moment (with free worldwide shipping) which is still a great price if you ask me, especially for you, Matt, considering the dollar is so strong. Honestly, I think the CD is so impossible to get and the price isn't that bad... for a CD that good I personally think it's well worth it. Trust me guys, it's a good'un.

As for anywhere else to buy it, I don't think there's anywhere else in the world. :lol:

NOTE: Don't be fooled by the us8.50 version of the CD of the same name - 'The One'. That is the Thai ONLY version. The version in my link has the English Version plus the Thai Version. Hope a few of y'all take a chance and enjoy. :)

Haha. Okay, so I just saw the CD is not in stock. Seriously, though, email them and ask about it. They were every friendly when I emailed them and they'll let you know when it's back in stock.

• 1 month later...

John Jacobs and the Power Team: Original Soundtrack

Frontline Records

Is this a classic? no. But its a cool obscure album. The Power Team were apparently some sort of christian weight lifting demonstration, with this pretty cool little soundtrack. Apart from the two VERY cheesy early 90s rap tracks (track 4, track 10), all music is either written or put together by Tim Miner.. who is some sort of CCM artist from the late 80s/early 90s - and after a quick search of HH, has appeared here and there over the years. The entire vibe of this album is for fans of Idle Cure/Liaison - that kind of CCM aor/rock with a bunch of guest singers. I believe these tracks dont appear in these forms elsewhere (eg My God is a Rock... is a different version to on the Liaison album.. prob due to Tim Miner playing on the Power Team version. The same applies for the Ken Tamplin song, and the other Liaison song which has vocals by most artists on the soundtrack, and possibly the other tracks. Apart from the rap songs, the other 12 tracks can be listened to as if its the one band which is good - unlike other soundtracks. I thought it was interesting enough to show people.

9fca53a09da0b0c6251b5110.L.jpg

01 Power -- Tim Miner

02 My God Is A Rock -- Liason

03 Tear Down The Walls -- Stephen Crumbacher

04 Authority -- P*I*D

05 Run Or Hide -- Rick Elias

06 Even Now -- Cindy Cruse

07 Break The Chains -- Steven Shannon of Idle Cure

08 Amazing Grace -- Tim Miner

09 It’s Not Worth It -- Angie Alan

10 God Gave Us The Power -- Dboy

11 Take ’Em Back -- Ken Tamplin

12 I’ll Be There -- Rick Elias

13 Power To Win -- Steve Shannon of Idle Cure

14 Who Can Heal The Pain -- Liason

:rofl2: "The Power Team" is still around, apparently... They appeared at one of the churches in my town a couple of summers ago. There were flyers and postcards for the show all over town for a couple of weeks prior. I guess they're like the "American Gladiators" for Jesus or somethin'.

Check out this vid of one of the Power Teamers rolling a steel frying pan up like a burrito. Yikes :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAfPLSmVjw

• My Little Pony

:rofl2: "The Power Team" is still around, apparently... They appeared at one of the churches in my town a couple of summers ago. There were flyers and postcards for the show all over town for a couple of weeks prior. I guess they're like the "American Gladiators" for Jesus or somethin'.

Yeah, they were in town, I think, two years ago. I didn't know who/what they were.

Yeah, they were in town, I think, two years ago. I didn't know who/what they were.

What being the operative word by the looks of it. ;)

Kenny Rogers - They Don't Make Them Like They Used To RCA 1986

rogersk_tdmtltut.jpg

Now then, please no giggling at the back please. THE Kenny Rogers you say, the king of Country and Western?. YES the very same, and I was as surprised when I heard this album back in the late 80's, as you are of me having the nerve to post it here ;). It's not an obscure album as such, as it went gold in the US, but I am damned sure that alot of people here who like their Westcoast/AOR, are not aware of some of the delights contained on this album. Full on Westcoast is the name of the game here,check out the list of people involved on this thing, Jay Graydon Peter Beckett, Steve Lukather, Dan Huff, Jonathan Cain, Michael Bolton, Tommy Funderburk, Bill Champlin, Richard Page, El DeBarge and Jason Scheff to name but a few. Anyone who is into their Westcoast stuff will recognise all of those names and will be aware of the projects Jay Graydon has been involved in in the past (Airplay, Airplay For The Planet, King Of Hearts, Dwayne Ford, Clif Mageness, David Roberts, Pages to name but a few). They will also know this bloke doesn't do rubbish, and this album is no different. Loads of great tracks including 'This Love We Share' which has Graydon's trademarks all over it, 'If I Could Hold On To Love' which is a Lukather Co-write aswell as featuring one of his trademark solos, aswell as Michael Bolton/Jonathan Cain penned 'Just The Thought Of Losing You' and Peter Beckett's 'After All This Time', both Westcoast/AOR gems. Of course, there are a couple of sappy ballads featured, but ignoring those, this is one classy album that will definitely surprise all the Westcoast fans here and they shouldn't be afraid of checking it out pronto.

Thanks for the tip Jez, just checked this out as it's pretty damn good!

I adore Kenny Rogers Jnr's 'Yes, No, Maybe' but I would never have entertained the thought of listening to anything by his old man.

The Graydon solo on the first cut is fabbo as you'd expect from him.

Another for the wants list :)

One of my Faves of Melodic/AOR rock is:

DANNY SPANOS-LOOKS LIKE TROUBLE

r1863.jpg

Used to hear his version of FRANKIE MILLER'S- I'D LIE TO YOU FOR YOUR LOVE on the radio a lot, until BON JOVI'S debut came out. Spanos was tossed aside like an unpaid Lot Lizard..

Song Tracks:

Side One

I'd Lie To You For Your Love

Change Of Heart

Wherever There's Smoke (There's Fire)

Lorraine

Excuse Me

Side Two

Comin' True

Are You Ready Now?

Molly

Looks Like Trouble

Good Girl

Ron Mancuso (Beggars and Thieves) Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot) and Rick Derringer make guest apperances.

r1863.jpg

Used to hear his version of FRANKIE MILLER'S- I'D LIE TO YOU FOR YOUR LOVE on the radio a lot, until BON JOVI'S debut came out. Spanos was tossed aside like an unpaid Lot Lizard..

Song Tracks:

Side One

Change Of Heart

Lorraine

Excuse Me

Side Two

Comin' True

Are You Ready Now?

Molly

Looks Like Trouble

Good Girl

Ron Mancuso (Beggars and Thieves) Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot) and Rick Derringer make guest apperances.

Obscure indeed! Can anyone post any tracks from this one?

Here's another lost Gem from the former TOAD guitarist.

Really good Hard Rock, but never got what he truely deserved..

VIC VERGAT-DOWN TO THE BONE

148648.jpg

Side 1

Down To The Bone

Breakaway

I Don't Wanna Lose You

Walk

Hot Love

Side 2

You Never Tell Me You Love Me

I Believe In Love Music

Mean, Mean Cat

Hey Love

It was produced by Dieter Dirks

It also featured:

Tom Croucier Jr. (Juan's brother)

Bobby Blotzer (Ratt)

• My Little Pony

r1863.jpg

Song Tracks:

Side One

Change Of Heart

Lorraine

Excuse Me

Side Two

Comin' True

Are You Ready Now?

Molly

Looks Like Trouble

Good Girl

Isn't his version of "Change of Heart" very westcoast? I remember hearing a sample years ago.

r1863.jpg

Song Tracks:

Side One

Change Of Heart

Lorraine

Excuse Me

Side Two

Comin' True

Are You Ready Now?

Molly

Looks Like Trouble

Good Girl

Isn't his version of "Change of Heart" very westcoast? I remember hearing a sample years ago.

Westcoast?

I don't think so, isn't westcoast lighter than typical AOR?

• My Little Pony

r1863.jpg

Song Tracks:

Side One

Change Of Heart

Lorraine

Excuse Me

Side Two

Comin' True

Are You Ready Now?

Molly

Looks Like Trouble

Good Girl

Westcoast?

I don't think so, isn't westcoast lighter than typical AOR?

Yeah. As I said I haven't heard it in years, so I'm only asking if I've remembered correctly.

I used to have a Danny Spanos mini album (I think it was a mini album) with a cover version of Streethearts Hot Cherie on it, it was pretty cool but it went the way of a vinyl clear out some years ago....stupid me!

Here's an odd one that I quite like.

Mannequin - s/t

manneq10.jpg

9 tracks of wierd pomp/prog/oddness that has that Canadian quirkiness that many bands from that country seem to possess and have a knack of doing somehow. Reminiscent in parts of Max Webster or Aerial maybe even touching on Russia or Force 10. Some of it is really great .... in fact it's all really great to me, but then again I love the Canadian scene from back in the day.

Maybe not everyones cup of tea though.

It was released on the Back Roads label in 1982 and the line up was

Brian Maloney - Lead Vocals, Guitar

Jim Huff - Lead Guitar, Vocals

Steve Woods - Drums, Lead Vocals, Keyboards

John Wright - Lead Vocals, Bass

Brian Maloney and Jim Huff went on to join the awesome Wall of Silence.

Here's another lost Gem from the former TOAD guitarist.

Really good Hard Rock, but never got what he truely deserved..

VIC VERGAT-DOWN TO THE BONE

148648.jpg

Side 1

Down To The Bone

Breakaway

I Don't Wanna Lose You

Walk

Hot Love

Side 2

You Never Tell Me You Love Me

I Believe In Love Music

Mean, Mean Cat

Hey Love

It was produced by Dieter Dirks

It also featured:

Tom Croucier Jr. (Juan's brother)

Bobby Blotzer (Ratt)

Nice call, I quite like this album, not a classic by any stretch but decent listening!

I'm surprised this hasn't been reissued on c.d. yet. A forgotten canadian band..

QUEEN CITY KIDS-BLACK BOX

15167.jpg

Side One:

Dance

Girls

In Your Eyes

Chains

Crazy In Love

Side Two:

Black Box

Ripped Off

Looking For You