World Cup poll

World Cup Winners  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everytime I start watching one of these games I have to switch off when some moron takes a dive....pathetic...

I tried watching some of it last night and all I can say is that the "little some of it" was more than enough for me......{looking for a "yawn" emoticon but there is not one there}

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime I start watching one of these games I have to switch off when some moron takes a dive....pathetic...

I tried watching some of it last night and all I can say is that the "little some of it" was more than enough for me......{looking for a "yawn" emoticon but there is not one there}

The best thing to do, doods, is catch a good highlights show. Dave, I don't know what time you leave for work but there is a good one on SBS at 7:00am each morning (in Sydney anyway) which gives a good (2min) review of the night's matches. I must admit, I haven't been able to stay awake through one full match yet either. I was even drifting in the 2nd half of Australia vs. Ghana the other night (probably because it was 2am and I was drunk too - :lol:).

And just one other thing on the diving - it really does show how much of a genuine c*nt these people are. Like the rest of the players in the tournament, I'm sure these guys who are getting red-carded have put a lot of time and effort and pride into playing for their country in the world cup. But imagine being that Brazilian guy who is denied the opportunity to play 1 or 2 games because that Ivory Coast c*nt took that dive? Or the German guy who scraped his boot on the Serbian's thigh only to have the Serbian jump up and fall to the ground weeping? These inconsiderate c*nts are killing dreams, and do so with no remorse. They're cheating their way to victories (and in Italy's case, their draw with NZ) and it really leaves a gigantic stain on the game.

The best thing to do, doods, is catch a good highlights show. Dave, I don't know what time you leave for work but there is a good one on SBS at 7:00am each morning (in Sydney anyway) which gives a good (2min) review of the night's matches. I must admit, I haven't been able to stay awake through one full match yet either. I was even drifting in the 2nd half of Australia vs. Ghana the other night (probably because it was 2am and I was drunk too - :lol:).

And just one other thing on the diving - it really does show how much of a genuine c*nt these people are. Like the rest of the players in the tournament, I'm sure these guys who are getting red-carded have put a lot of time and effort and pride into playing for their country in the world cup. But imagine being that Brazilian guy who is denied the opportunity to play 1 or 2 games because that Ivory Coast c*nt took that dive? Or the German guy who scraped his boot on the Serbian's thigh only to have the Serbian jump up and fall to the ground weeping? These inconsiderate c*nts are killing dreams, and do so with no remorse. They're cheating their way to victories (and in Italy's case, their draw with NZ) and it really leaves a gigantic stain on the game.

see my comments in the other thread. I hate cheating - like the IC prick, who got Kaka sent off - there is no excuse for that! But the rules are plain to see for all. If you make a challenge in the box and bring a player down without touching/winning the ball its a penalty. Cheat or no cheat any striker worth their salt will go down if touched in the box......doesnt matter how faint the touch....could be just a brush....if its contact, its a penalty, like it or not. That is the rules of the game.

Put it this way. If a defender went in on a striker, failed to win the ball and tripped the striker.....who then wobbled tried desperately to stay on his feet but skewed his shot wide, he wouldnt have many friends in the dressing room.....however go down and win a penalty which secures victory and he's a hero.

Its not cheating as i say its the defenders fault for making a rash challenge in the box.

Let me just re-iterate.....when there is contact.

What i hate is someone taking a dive when there is no contact. That is what is bad.

As an American citizen, it's my God-given right and duty to ignore the World Cup, as well as soccer/football in general... :whistle:

As an American citizen, it's my God-given right and duty to ignore the World Cup, as well as soccer/football in general... :whistle:

I've got into it well enough, but I know very well that for every me there are about 100 people who refuse to watch soccer of any type (including world cup) because of the way the raging poofters carry on with all the over-dramatic theatrics. Squeeze that out the game and I think they could double the audience worldwide. How hard can it be?

I've got into it well enough, but I know very well that for every me there are about 100 people who refuse to watch soccer of any type (including world cup) because of the way the raging poofters carry on with all the over-dramatic theatrics. Squeeze that out the game and I think they could double the audience worldwide. How hard can it be?

Sadly it seems that FIFA are not interested in getting rid of diving. They are far more intent on removing any kind of contact in the game. I was always told it was "a man's game", so you picked yourself up and carried on if you took a knock. Most fans I know would prefer it if there was a physical element to the game to complement the skill. However, in this World Cup it seems that almost every foul is a booking, which is ridiculous. What kind of message does it send to the kids when going in for a tackle can get you a yellow card, yet cheating is very rarely punished?

It's a shame the people in charge of the game seem to be interested in only one thing - money. That's why they make ridiculous decisions like changing the ball, which already functioned perfectly well as far as I knew, and not clamping down on the cheats in the game, who coincidentally are often the more flamboyant (and therefore marketable) players. :rant:

Sadly it seems that FIFA are not interested in getting rid of diving. They are far more intent on removing any kind of contact in the game. I was always told it was "a man's game", so you picked yourself up and carried on if you took a knock. Most fans I know would prefer it if there was a physical element to the game to complement the skill. However, in this World Cup it seems that almost every foul is a booking, which is ridiculous. What kind of message does it send to the kids when going in for a tackle can get you a yellow card, yet cheating is very rarely punished?

It's a shame the people in charge of the game seem to be interested in only one thing - money. That's why they make ridiculous decisions like changing the ball, which already functioned perfectly well as far as I knew, and not clamping down on the cheats in the game, who coincidentally are often the more flamboyant (and therefore marketable) players. :rant:

well, generally continental football is usually far more wimpy than the premier league in England. At least in our leagues there is still a pysicality which is tollerated, however in Europe (esp the Italian and Spanish leagues) you only need to touch the player and it's a free kick. That's why its sooooo frustrating watching some of the English clubs playing the likes of Barcelona in the Champions League. Very frustrating watching all the free kicks given to the opposition when our players are generally more honest.

As for the debate on the ball.......well that is just ridiculous to introduce a new ball for a major championship. It is, as you say, purely a money spinning exercise as they know millions of mugs all over the world will buy it.

As for fairness......it stinks that bloody Germany have been playing with the ball for six months before the world cup! Its German made and has been used in the Bundesleague. No doubt sanctioned by F(uckin) Beckenbauer.

well, generally continental football is usually far more wimpy than the premier league in England. At least in our leagues there is still a pysicality which is tollerated, however in Europe (esp the Italian and Spanish leagues) you only need to touch the player and it's a free kick. That's why its sooooo frustrating watching some of the English clubs playing the likes of Barcelona in the Champions League. Very frustrating watching all the free kicks given to the opposition when our players are generally more honest.

Has this rule, that you're not allowed to tackle or even contest the ball anymore - has that become more strongly policed in the last 4 years? The last time I watched soccer (last world cup) I remember the diving still being unbearable, but I can't recall every single contest for the ball being called up as a foul. I remember in the first half of the Australia vs Serbia match I actually couldn't hear the vuvuzela anymore for the sound of the ref's whistle every 2 seconds!

Australia :rofl2: - As usual, not a hope in hell of doing anything whatsoever, mainly due to not understanding the rules and continuously picking up the ball, wearing tight shorts and generally prancing around like a bunch of pink handbag carriers. Just stay at home boys and let someone decent like the The Mongolian Ladies team take your place. :D

Germany - Disqualification for too many dodgy haircuts and diving techniques - There are no swimming pools here guys

Argentina - Disqualification for playing Handball... Oh fuck it, Just disqualify them anyway, you don't need a reason really

England - No hope at winning because all the great talent seen in the English league have all gone back to play for their own Countries which simply leaves the dregs to represent the Poms.........AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

An Aussie soccer pundit - Now I have seen it all ;)

4th favourites for the tournament Dave, so your somewhat 'same old same old' conclusion goes out of the window. Punditry not your strong point mate? :whistle:

Only time will tell mate so I will put the smirk away until then.....and then bring it back out later with laughter and joy :lol:;)

:lol:

Has this rule, that you're not allowed to tackle or even contest the ball anymore - has that become more strongly policed in the last 4 years? The last time I watched soccer (last world cup) I remember the diving still being unbearable, but I can't recall every single contest for the ball being called up as a foul. I remember in the first half of the Australia vs Serbia match I actually couldn't hear the vuvuzela anymore for the sound of the ref's whistle every 2 seconds!

It's not a rule, it's just how FIFA tell the referees to behave during World Cups. It is quite bad in the Premiership in England, but hard tackles are allowed if they are fair and many fouls do not result in yellow cards. FIFA seems determined to get rid of all fouls in World Cups, which is frankly ridiculous. Fouls are a part of the game; I can understand the concern about malicious or dangerous fouls, but going in for tackles often means that there is a chance of a foul being committed. Some of the bookings in this World Cup have been ridiculous - look at the Germany v England game - Friedrich was booked for a foul that wasn't particularly bad, just a word from the ref would have been enough. He actually committed a worse foul later on that may have merited a yellow card, but the referee didn't send him off as it would have been ridiculous to do so in light of the (lack of) severity of the first offence.

With the number of referees appointed to this World Cup who have a record of sending lots of players off, FIFA is sending a clear message that it does not want the physical element of the game.

With the number of referees appointed to this World Cup who have a record of sending lots of players off, FIFA is sending a clear message that it does not want the physical element of the game.

Yes, true. Strange ... !

What I find even more strange is the fact that I did not find one single official word about this incredible ref mistake on the FIFA website. (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/index.html). Never mind an apology ...

It seems they want to ignore it completely and eventually deny that it ever happened.

FIFA .... Blatter ... they all suck !

Yes, true. Strange ... !

What I find even more strange is the fact that I did not find one single official word about this incredible ref mistake on the FIFA website. (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/index.html). Never mind an apology ...

It seems they want to ignore it completely and eventually deny that it ever happened.

FIFA .... Blatter ... they all suck !

Blatter has far too much ego to apologise or say anything constructive. Maybe the only person in football with a bigger ego than Cristiano Ronaldo. If only they would appoint someone who cares about the sport and not only money, perhaps decisions might be made for the good of the game.

England - No hope at winning because all the great talent seen in the English league have all gone back to play for their own Countries which simply leaves the dregs to represent the Poms.........AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

4th favourites for the tournament Dave, so your somewhat 'same old same old' conclusion goes out of the window. Punditry not your strong point mate? :whistle:

:lol: What was that ??????

Don't worry mate, there is alot of soccer talent in England but you just have to wait until the Premier league competition starts and all the talent fly in, for you to see it ;)

Welcome back mate and I hope you had a great holiday :drink:

Don't worry mate, there is alot of soccer talent in England but you just have to wait until the Premier league competition starts and all the talent fly in, for you to see it ;)

Seems like our footie team has gone the way your Cricket team has mate. Sabotaged by the Welsh would be my bet :lol:

Seems like our footie team has gone the way your Cricket team has mate. Sabotaged by the Welsh would be my bet :lol:

Like in most other sports when things don't look to good for the Poms, it might be time to merge with all those other countries and become Britain for the next World Cup :lol:

Like in most other sports when things don't look to good for the Poms, it might be time to merge with all those other countries and become Britain for the next World Cup :lol:

:lol: indeed!

Happily, it will never happen.

NB: For the last 20 years Britain = England + Ryan Giggs.

Just a question to put out there - are there many non-regular soccer watchers viewing this world cup? And if so, are you starting to highly anticipate the end of the world cup, just so you can go back to a regular sport watching life, without having to watch these skirt wearing dive-loving c*nts for another 4 years? Seeing this world cup I kind of wish it was every 8 years, as even though this is the first time I've watched soccer in 4 years, it's taking it's toll on me and possibly my blood pressure. On the plus side, it really makes you appreciate proper sports even more, and watching the weekend footy (NRL) has never been so necessary. :)

I'm honestly not taking the piss, but I really feel for you guys that live in countries where soccer is the sport to watch. I couldn't imagine coping with this for an entire season, each year. I know a few of you have said the theatrics aren't quite as bad in the English Premier League, but I can't believe it's that different to the World Cup standard - not when so many players there are part of it. But even if it was only half as bad, that's still way too much carry-on, acting and bullshit for me. Good luck, battlers. ;)

Just a question to put out there - are there many non-regular soccer watchers viewing this world cup? And if so, are you starting to highly anticipate the end of the world cup, just so you can go back to a regular sport watching life, without having to watch these skirt wearing dive-loving c*nts for another 4 years? Seeing this world cup I kind of wish it was every 8 years, as even though this is the first time I've watched soccer in 4 years, it's taking it's toll on me and possibly my blood pressure. On the plus side, it really makes you appreciate proper sports even more, and watching the weekend footy (NRL) has never been so necessary. :)

I'm honestly not taking the piss, but I really feel for you guys that live in countries where soccer is the sport to watch. I couldn't imagine coping with this for an entire season, each year. I know a few of you have said the theatrics aren't quite as bad in the English Premier League, but I can't believe it's that different to the World Cup standard - not when so many players there are part of it. But even if it was only half as bad, that's still way too much carry-on, acting and bullshit for me. Good luck, battlers. ;)

the only time it pisses me off is when i am watching champions league football. ie european footie like the italians or spanish clubs. diving and theatrics is rife.

The English leagues are really much much better. Esp the lower leagues....you hardly ever get diving or theatrics in the lower leagues.

Nah fuck em....useless wankers. scottish and welsh football is utter crap.

the only time it pisses me off is when i am watching champions league football. ie european footie like the italians or spanish clubs. diving and theatrics is rife.

The English leagues are really much much better. Esp the lower leagues....you hardly ever get diving or theatrics in the lower leagues.

Well said, it is much rarer in the lower divisions. Players diving would probably just be laughed at. And tackles are allowed as well!

• 3 weeks later...