Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (new CD)

rockdoc

I don't see how that cover is any more embarrassing or somehow over the top than Killers or Piece Of Mind...I like the Predator-Eddie...Eddie has taken on many forms over the years and this is just another one, IMO.

For me, it's Iron Maiden's best album cover since Fear Of The Dark...I think The X-Factor, Virtual XI, Brave New World, Dance Of Death and A Matter of Life And Death are much worse...this one is at least colorful and expressive...those I just mentioned were boring in comparison...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check it out yo: the world premiere of Maiden's new video for the song "Final Frontier" will happen on Maiden's official site (http://www.ironmaiden.com) next week (July 13). A too-brief teaser is on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6q5dGVnG0I

Gnarly! Looks like a trailer for the next "Alien" movie or something! Maiden must've sunk some serious $$$ (or would that be "£££" in their case? Haha) into this video. Can't wait to see the rest (and hear more of the song of course!)

Video for "The Final Frontier" was released yesterday:

http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/5364/iron-maiden-the-final-frontier-official-video

Bad ass vid!! Looks like it was expensive as hell too. :lol:

Though I gotta say, the actual song gets buried under all the damn sound effects at times....

The "Final Frontier" video is now viewable @ Youtube as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiJQK-_kcY

The "Final Frontier" video is now viewable @ Youtube as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiJQK-_kcY

I like the song okay but it's hard to really hear it with all of the damn special effects. Cool video though.

So far I haven't been blown away from the first two singles.

I'm hoping that when the new album is released, it comes with a bonus DVD (like the last album did) with that video on it. Some "making of" stuff would be cool too. :beerbang:

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have to say that I had only heard Eldorado prior to hearing the whole album today, so wasnt expecting anything from this album as everything the band has done since Bruce returned, has not interested me at all as they all sound totally unoriginal with nearly every song sounding like an older, better, song.

Also, the seem to have a penchant for choruses that are the same line repeated over and over again.

When the intro tune kicked off (Satellite 15), although I didnt think it sounded that great, it did make me hopeful that I was gonna hear a new Maiden album rather than the regurgitated material of the last few albums.

Sadly, once Final frontier starts, its just a case of the same old same old.

The chorus is abysmal, with its single line repeated over and over again.

The rest of the album is no better.

Give me any of the albums from the debut right up til Virtual XI, they were all great.

Everything after that is pointless.

Well I have to say that I had only heard Eldorado prior to hearing the whole album today, so wasnt expecting anything from this album as everything the band has done since Bruce returned, has not interested me at all as they all sound totally unoriginal with nearly every song sounding like an older, better, song.

Also, the seem to have a penchant for choruses that are the same line repeated over and over again.

When the intro tune kicked off (Satellite 15), although I didnt think it sounded that great, it did make me hopeful that I was gonna hear a new Maiden album rather than the regurgitated material of the last few albums.

Sadly, once Final frontier starts, its just a case of the same old same old.

The chorus is abysmal, with its single line repeated over and over again.

The rest of the album is no better.

Give me any of the albums from the debut right up til Virtual XI, they were all great.

Everything after that is pointless.

Well hopefully I disagree with you on this one since I just ordered it and I sure hope it's a grower. "Brave New World" for me is almost a masterpeiece I find myself listening to that one almost as much as I play the older releases. :headbanger:

I've purposely been avoiding the "sneak peeks" of the album that people have been posting on YouTube ... so the only songs I've heard thus far have been "El Dorado" and the title track. Both of them sound just fine to me.

My ass is goin' to Best Buy on Tuesday during my lunch break to pick up a first day copy. :beerbang:

WOOHOO! WOOHOO! MAIDEN! MAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIDEN! :banger:

I like to think I`m a little unbiased, even though I`m a big Maiden fan.

There have been lots of reviews of this album and as Glen has somewhere pointed out, quite mixed reviews.

Forget what they`ve done before and ignore the reviews, listen to it and form your own opinions on this.

I`ve literally played this non - stop, really starting to get a feel for it now, loving all the songs on it,some are very long and the odd few are 4-5 mins long, everytime I play the album something new jumps out, Bruce`s voice at times seemes a little strained but that`s half the appeal for me - lol.

Stand out songs currently are ......

Coming Home

The Man Who Would be king

The Alchemist

The Talisman

This will probably change in the coming weeks, another very high quality Maiden release following on from the previous IMO - classic A Matter Of Life And Death.

Of the bands that I`ve liked for donkeys years, Maiden and Rush are the two that still maintain top quality releases with Maiden getting the nod over my favourite band Rush.

Like Faron, I been playing this non stop since I got it (all night at work yesterday) and completely agree that people should ignore the reviews and listen to the damned thing themselves (if they want to hear it that is), But please don't say it is crap without even hearing it (like a few people obviously have done in various places).

I have seen people describe the new one as 'It's a Maiden album, 'nuff said' and people reply to this saying 'And please don't say it's another Maiden album', but really, that is exactly what 'The Final Frontier' is, unmistakably Maiden in sound, songs, everything. If you didn't like the band before and especially the albums since Bruce has been back, then this is hardly gonna change your mind and you are pretty much wasting 75 minutes of your time.

No it's not another 'Powerslave' or 'Number Of The Beast' (if people were expecting that, then they have obviously not been paying attention to this band at all over the years) but what 'The Final Frontier' is, is a damned good solid Maiden album with many highlights ('El Dorado', 'The Talisman', 'The Man Who Would Be King', 'When The Wind Blows' and 'Coming Home') and few lows (not too sure about 'Satellite 15' at the moment and besides the good riff and solos, The title track is a little weak). As is usual with Maiden albums, it may be a little overlong, but it is rock solid all the same and one to definitely keep the Maiden faithful happy. Up the Irons :headbanger:

Just came back from picking up THE FINAL FRONTIER at Best Buy. I opted for the slightly-cheaper "regular" CD as opposed to the "Mission Edition" in the metal can cuz I knew I was never even gonna be bothered to look at the web-only "bonus content" included. Now, if they'd put that stuff on a DVD (like they did with the last album) then we would've been talkin'.

Anyway, I'm only on track #2 ("El Dorado") at the moment so I can't say much yet, except that so far me likee! :beerbang:

On the second spin of FINAL FRONTIER thus far. Not enough for it to totally "gel" yet or for me to pick out favorite tracks, but just in general I gotta say I think I already prefer this one to AMOLAD or DANCE OF DEATH. It seems less dark and gloomy than either of the previous two, and that is fine by me. Both AMOLAD and D.O.D. are fine albums in their own right, of course, but they're the kinda thing I have to be "in the mood" to listen to. FINAL FRONTIER, so far, seems more immediate. Like the band said "We've been a little too depressing on the last couple, whaddaya say we ROCK this time." :beerbang:

Totally random observation: while in Best Buy I looked @ the track listing on the back of the CD and noticed a song called "The Alchemist" -- at first I sez to myself "Doesn't Maiden already have a song called The Alchemist?" I scratched my head about that one all the way back to the car, then it hit me: "The Alchemist" is also the name of a track on Bruce's CHEMICAL WEDDING solo album.

So that makes two Bruce D. solo songs that now share their title with a Maiden song (the other being "Wicker Man") -- three if you count Maiden's re-do of "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter."

Just thought that was odd. :P

Fuckin' Maiden geek... :nyanya:

Is it that obvious? :blink:

By the way, I prefer the term "Fanboy," thank you very much. :thppt::lol:

Like Faron, I been playing this non stop since I got it (all night at work yesterday) and completely agree that people should ignore the reviews and listen to the damned thing themselves (if they want to hear it that is), But please don't say it is crap without even hearing it (like a few people obviously have done in various places).

I have seen people describe the new one as 'It's a Maiden album, 'nuff said' and people reply to this saying 'And please don't say it's another Maiden album', but really, that is exactly what 'The Final Frontier' is, unmistakably Maiden in sound, songs, everything. If you didn't like the band before and especially the albums since Bruce has been back, then this is hardly gonna change your mind and you are pretty much wasting 75 minutes of your time.

No it's not another 'Powerslave' or 'Number Of The Beast' (if people were expecting that, then they have obviously not been paying attention to this band at all over the years) but what 'The Final Frontier' is, is a damned good solid Maiden album with many highlights ('El Dorado', 'The Talisman', 'The Man Who Would Be King', 'When The Wind Blows' and 'Coming Home') and few lows (not too sure about 'Satellite 15' at the moment and besides the good riff and solos, The title track is a little weak). As is usual with Maiden albums, it may be a little overlong, but it is rock solid all the same and one to definitely keep the Maiden faithful happy. Up the Irons :headbanger:

Nicely put Jez :beerbang:

Fuckin' Maiden geek... :nyanya:

Is it that obvious? :blink:

By the way, I prefer the term "Fanboy," thank you very much. :thppt::lol:

:rofl2:

My bad...course me sayin' that is pretty much like the pot callin' the kettle black, brutha.

The next week is going to be chock full o' headbangin'.

Picked up the Iron Maiden at BB, and while there picked up the new Ozzy and Godsmack discs (wouldn't normally, but they were each on sale for $7.99, so why the heck not?), along with Skillet - Awake (sorry, but the track "Hero" is catchy as heck... no not metal, but anyway...). Then got home to find that my copy of the new Blind Guardian 2-CD LE arrived.

Let the music commence!

-Dan