Blocked Countries

I think this is the right forum for this thread, it is about bad buyers, although not naming individuals.

What countries do you block when you sell on eBay? I just have a rule that prevents bids from South America, but wonder whether anyone has had bad experiences with buyers from particular countries?

Mine is due to an experience with one buyer in Brazil, who I sent the wrong CD to. Idiotic and careless I know, but it's the only time I've done it, but I was sending lots of CDs at the time and it taught me a lesson. I asked him and the other buyer to return their CDs. I got one back, but the guy in Brazil said he hadn't received his. I sent the CD I got from the other buyer to him and he claimed not to receive that as well. So 2 CDs gone and I had to refund the other buyer's money (he was in the Czech Republic and was completely reasonable about the whole thing). I have had another buyer in South America claim not to have received a CD before, but he didn't follow it up. Might be the postal system over there, but I'm not keen to take a chance again. Anyone else?

Italy would be another one, I guess. Lousy postal service ....

And the UK. Because Jez works for their post office. ...

Joking, of course !! ;)

Italy would be another one, I guess. Lousy postal service ....

And the UK. Because Jez works for their post office. ...

Joking, of course !! ;)

:lol: send all your cd packages via Milton Keynes mail centre and I will definitely guarantee they all get to their respective owners, via my house first. ;)

I swiped this from Dan a while back and use it in my listings as well as some added countries.

Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola (including Cabinda), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bulgaria, Burma, Burundi, Chechnia, China, Congo, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea - Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Nigeria, North Korea, OFAC Restricted Countries, Paraguay, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Zaire, and Zimbabwe.

I swiped this from Dan a while back and use it in my listings as well as some added countries.

Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola (including Cabinda), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bulgaria, Burma, Burundi, Chechnia, China, Congo, Cuba, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea - Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Nigeria, North Korea, OFAC Restricted Countries, Paraguay, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Zaire, and Zimbabwe.

My only (slight) issue with that list is that I have sold CDs to both Chinese and Russian buyers, without incident (so far). I do concede that the postal systems in both countries are sketchy, but I'd be a bit hesitant to block out buyers from those two places completely...Just my 2 cents...Jeff.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever bought or sold anything to/from islands in the South Pacific like Fiji, Tahiti, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa or Tonga etc? And if not, would you?

Worst countries BY FAR for losing items. BRAZIL and ITALY win hands down (followed by the Philippines). SEND SHIT REGISTERED TO THOSE COUNTRIES!

As far as islands , I've sent to Trinidad & Tobago and Majorca but never to Fiji or places like that.

Wierdest country (that I didn't even know existed) I ever sent a package to was probably that tiny country inbetween France and Spain. Population 50,000 or something. Never even heard of it before and I thought I was quite geographically savvy.

Worst countries BY FAR for losing items. BRAZIL and ITALY win hands down (followed by the Philippines). SEND SHIT REGISTERED TO THOSE COUNTRIES!

As far as islands , I've sent to Trinidad & Tobago and Majorca but never to Fiji or places like that.

Wierdest country (that I didn't even know existed) I ever sent a package to was probably that tiny country inbetween France and Spain. Population 50,000 or something. Never even heard of it before and I thought I was quite geographically savvy.

Presumably Andorra?

Cheers for this, confirmed my fears about Brazil, I will continue to bar bidders from there. Shame, as I've had a few sales to Brazilian buyers that went fine; they seem to like their hard rock and metal, but the ratio of CDs lost to CDs getting to their destination is just silly. Unless of course these buyers weren't being honest...

Seen a few comments on here about Italy, I've not had a problem sending stuff there so far.

Just Germany

Yeah, no melodic rock lovers there anyway ... ! ;)

My only (slight) issue with that list is that I have sold CDs to both Chinese and Russian buyers, without incident (so far). I do concede that the postal systems in both countries are sketchy, but I'd be a bit hesitant to block out buyers from those two places completely...Just my 2 cents...Jeff.

That list is taken primarily from the list of countries that Shipsurance won't insure to. If I can't get insurance coverage, I don't ship there, as it's a PayPal chargeback just waiting to happen.

China is blocked for more pragmatic reasons: While I can insure to China, I found that dealing with Chinese buyers isn't worth the hassle. I had a spate of buyers that spoke not a single lick of English and were trying to communicate through eBay with messages that were nothing but a bunch of Chinese characters. Trying to coordinate payment and shipping details became more trouble than it was worth, especially on combined purchases. My patience ran out and I blocked China.

I've blocked Africa (never sold a thing there anyways), South America (too many headaches, especially Brazil) and China (way too many headaches). I have yet to feel the wrath of the Italians, but everytime I ship there I say my prayers. I also hate shipping to Mexico, I've had a problem or two, but I might get one or two sales a year there.

Brazil is the only place I have blocked. I have had a couple bad experiences with the postal service this year. I have never had a problem with China but Italy is really on my fence. The only thing for me is I sold alot to Brazil and still sell a bit to Italy.

Sandy

Just out of curiosity, is Italy the country really that bad a place to send stuff, or is it just that there are some high profile scammers over there, like that Patrizio Di Guiseppe and whatever other names he/she goes by?

Just out of curiosity, is Italy the country really that bad a place to send stuff, or is it just that there are some high profile scammers over there, like that Patrizio Di Guiseppe and whatever other names he/she goes by?

Probably both. But their postal service is lousy for sure ...........

I wonder why that is. I'm curious now. Anyone know why Italy's postal service is so different (and apparently much worse) to the rest of Europe?

I wonder why that is. I'm curious now. Anyone know why Italy's postal service is so different (and apparently much worse) to the rest of Europe?

Zey are always beezy making love to beautiful ladeeez, to geev a sheet :)

Zey are always beezy making love to beautiful ladeeez, to geev a sheet :)

Nice. I want to be Italian too.

That list is taken primarily from the list of countries that Shipsurance won't insure to. If I can't get insurance coverage, I don't ship there, as it's a PayPal chargeback just waiting to happen.

China is blocked for more pragmatic reasons: While I can insure to China, I found that dealing with Chinese buyers isn't worth the hassle. I had a spate of buyers that spoke not a single lick of English and were trying to communicate through eBay with messages that were nothing but a bunch of Chinese characters. Trying to coordinate payment and shipping details became more trouble than it was worth, especially on combined purchases. My patience ran out and I blocked China.

Yes, you're right, insurability is a valid issue. I often make use of the private shipping insurance companies as well, and Russia seems to usually be excluded. In each of my sales to that country, however, the purchase price has been low enough that I've chosen to go ahead and take my chances. And, the buyers have been low risk in my estimation, including a couple of return buyers. A common sense cost/benefit analysis always ultimately guides my decision-making process in this arena, and I most certainly would be reticent to ship higher value items to Russia without insurance.

I've been lucky so far re: communication with foreign traders. I speak fairly fluent Spanish, which has helped on occasion, but while I admire the aesthetics of the Chinese language, I don't understand a lick either. If communication ever becomes a significant PIA, I'd, of course, have to re-evaluate as well.

More of a parcel customs clearance problem as in other countries in my opinion. Most customs agents randomly choose packages to charge a huge fee because they are allowed to be dicks without reprimand. I can tell you Italy is definitely not the worst though. Some countries in South America are worst and UK's Parcel Force are criminal with their clearance fees at times.

The last 3 things I sent to Italy went "lost"... on top of that Patrizio fuckstick who refused to PAY for his countries own taxes on incoming mail stuff. Not my fault, and not my problem. I declared the value honestly. I did get the CD's back 3 months later after he refused to pick them up.

There were 2 I never heard from again, both sold on ebay and both claimed they never recieved them, but when I replied to them, no answer, and no feedback of any kind.

The last one was a Spinal Tap CD that got sent off in November-ish of 2008, and then the end of February of 2009, I got a package I had to sign for and when I opened it up, it was the CD being returned as Not Picked Up. It sat there for 3 Months?

So, I block Italy now too...

I've been buying and trading stuff abroad for 30 years now. I've been ripped off by just about every country on the planet - and a few that no longer exist!I won't deal with any third world countries, and I'm nervous about the old "eastern block" but I have had more good experiences than bad there. I'm always nervous about South and Central America, but I've just had a good trade with Brazil so...

All this talk of the Italian postal system! Believe me the UK one isn't much better. Stuff I send takes longer to arrive than the reciprocol parcel! I had one trader in Paris checking that I lived in the UK after my parcel arrived from Germany! On checking with my local PO, it seems that most UK parcels go via Germany!

A parcel sent 15 miles away got opened and stuff stolen. another to Grimsby, about 80 miles away never arrived. I think it's just luck to wherever you send.

I've been buying and trading stuff abroad for 30 years now. I've been ripped off by just about every country on the planet - and a few that no longer exist!I won't deal with any third world countries, and I'm nervous about the old "eastern block" but I have had more good experiences than bad there. I'm always nervous about South and Central America, but I've just had a good trade with Brazil so...

All this talk of the Italian postal system! Believe me the UK one isn't much better. Stuff I send takes longer to arrive than the reciprocol parcel! I had one trader in Paris checking that I lived in the UK after my parcel arrived from Germany! On checking with my local PO, it seems that most UK parcels go via Germany!

A parcel sent 15 miles away got opened and stuff stolen. another to Grimsby, about 80 miles away never arrived. I think it's just luck to wherever you send.

Interesting comments, as my dealings with UK customers have almost all been good. The only problems I've had have been Brazil and someone in India, who gave me the wrong address, so it was her fault. I did have one UK customer who sent me 2 or 3 very angry messages about a package not turning up. I assured him it had been sent, but he wasn't having it and while I was thinking about a refund a couple of weeks later, the package turned up, "not called for" back at my local post depot. The buyer then claimed he'd never received anything from the post office and funnily enough was as nice as pie after that.