Saxon - Fav Album(1979-1988)

Saxon - Fav Album   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been listening to Saxon like crazy lately since I've recently picked up the first nine releases remastered from EMI. I always knew many of the old songs and have their most recent three releases but I guess I never realized how great of a band they were back in the day. I always knew of them being mentioned along Maiden back in the day but for some reason their cds had been hard to find in stores so I never bought any of them back when I was getting into Metal.

So what's your fav of their early stuff?

I'm sure there will be many that favor the earlier more metal material and other that favor the more melodic stuff on the last three listed.

My fav is "Strong Arm of the Law" but will say that "Power and the Glory" is criminally underrated as is "Innocence" and "Rock the Nations". Then again all of them are great IMO but in different ways.

Possibly the first and last vote for 'Destiny'. Really liked that album when I first got into metal and haven't listened to much Saxon since.

Possibly the first and last vote for 'Destiny'. Really liked that album when I first got into metal and haven't listened to much Saxon since.

I imagine it might be the last vote but you never know.

I just got that one and am giving it a first listen as I type this and I have to admit it's a good disc. Almost a combo of the previous two with more melodic moments similar to "Innocence" and more hard rocking songs mixed in that are similar to "Rock the Nations". I don't like "Destiny" as much as what came before but still it's a solid disc of Hard Rock. :tumbsup:

Power And The Glory for me! The Eagle Has Landed, is such a great song. Played the dickens out of that cassette and finally upraded to cd only to find that Suzy wasn't on it... :)

Saxon as a whole is an amazing band with an equally amazing catelogue and they are greatly underrated.

Power And The Glory for me! The Eagle Has Landed, is such a great song. Played the dickens out of that cassette and finally upraded to cd only to find that Suzy wasn't on it... :)

Saxon as a whole is an amazing band with an equally amazing catelogue and they are greatly underrated.

Yup 'Power and the Glory' kick ass. "Warrior" is a killr tune IMO. :headbanger:

For Me it's Denim and Leather Hands down!!! :headbanger:

Although Crusader is a close second....

D&L is another killer album and not one song I don't like. Very underrated.

"Crusader" is awesome as well and has probably my top Saxon tune in 'Sailing to America". :bowdown:

Okay guys, lesson me.

In my current collection, and I like both CDs:

'Destiny'

'Solid Ball of rock'

Bought and sold these two because I hated them:

'Power And The Glory'

'Forever free'

So basically, I really have no interest in their early stuff or anything that sounds anything like 'Power and the glory', but based on Wes' comments, is it worth checking out 'Innocence is no Excuse' and 'Rock the Nations'? Just looking for good melodic hard rock... no galloping Iron Maiden styled metal or anything like that. Thanks for any tips or recommendations. :)

Only one weak album amongst that lot, which is 'Rock The Nations' and that has a few good tracks. I really like the more commercial stuff of 'Innocence' and 'Destiny', but it's their earlier stuff that is really the best imo,with the double punch of The brilliant 'Wheels Of Steel' and 'Strong Arm..'(both in the same year) which are the standouts for me. 'Wheels' Of Steel' gets my vote as the best.

I haven't heard every album on the list but out of the ones I do have, I gotta go with DENIM & LEATHER.

Okay guys, lesson me.

'Destiny'

'Solid Ball of rock'

'Power And The Glory'

'Forever free'

So basically, I really have no interest in their early stuff or anything that sounds anything like 'Power and the glory', but based on Wes' comments, is it worth checking out 'Innocence is no Excuse' and 'Rock the Nations'? Just looking for good melodic hard rock... no galloping Iron Maiden styled metal or anything like that. Thanks for any tips or recommendations. :)

You would love "Innocence". Let me know if you wanna check it out.

Only one weak album amongst that lot, which is 'Rock The Nations' and that has a few good tracks. I really like the more commercial stuff of 'Innocence' and 'Destiny', but it's their earlier stuff that is really the best imo,with the double punch of The brilliant 'Wheels Of Steel' and 'Strong Arm..'(both in the same year) which are the standouts for me. 'Wheels' Of Steel' gets my vote as the best.

While I've only played them once I think that Rock the Nations kills Destiny.

Destiny to me had to many keyboards and fluffy songs where Rock the Nations at least had some of that old Saxon grit in places mixed in with some commercial tracks. But yeah I agree that the old stuff is the best with everything up through Crusader. :headbanger:

Okay guys, lesson me.

'Destiny'

'Solid Ball of rock'

'Power And The Glory'

'Forever free'

You would love "Innocence". Let me know if you wanna check it out.

Thanks for the offer cousin, but no need. I just purchased it. :) Any other ones you honestly think I should check out, knowing my tendencies to the more melodic side of things?

I've been listening to Saxon like crazy lately since I've recently picked up the first nine releases remastered from EMI.

Cool I didn't realise there were 9 EMI re-masters. I only have 6 which are:

s/t

wheels of steel

strong arm of the law

denim and leather

crusader

power & the glory

Which are the other re-masters are where can I get them from?

Ahh just found them and ordered from Amazon. The cool thing about all these EMI remasters is not only the awesome sound quality, booklets and bonus tracks but if you put them all side by side in order the spines are supposed to make a saxon logo.

innocence is no excuse

rock the nations

destiny

Okay guys, lesson me.

'Destiny'

'Solid Ball of rock'

'Power And The Glory'

'Forever free'

I think you would like the Innocence album Geoff. At least the first six songs which I think is really good. The whole album is really good IMO :taz:. More commercial but without losing their soul from the earlier.

If the whole CRusader album would have been as the song Crusader it would have been their best and a monster album desopite the pretty rubbish and weak production by Kevin Beamish.

Ahh just found them and ordered from Amazon. The cool thing about all these EMI remasters is not only the awesome sound quality, booklets and bonus tracks but if you put them all side by side in order the spines are supposed to make a saxon logo.

Yup I love that to. They did a very similar thing that Maiden did with Eddie being on the side of theirs when you line them up. :headbanger:

Simply could not vote on this one. It's a toss up between "Wheels" and "Denim". I pretty much dig all phases of the band (the new stuff is great as well)but those are my two favs along with "Power". Great band.