Justified - new tv show

66 mustang

Last night's show was yet again another great show.

Love where the scenes between Raylan and Mags go. Just two superb actors with great material written for them and they deliver each and every time.

And Boyd; if Walton Goggins is ignored yet again at Emmy time, there's a conspiracy. He was fucking amazing in the Shield and I think even gone up a notch on this show. (I really hope Boyd continues to keep on the straight and narrow (at least HIS straight and narrow). Curious as to where the relationship between he and Ava is going.)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's show was yet again another great show.

Love where the scenes between Raylan and Mags go. Just two superb actors with great material written for them and they deliver each and every time.

And Boyd; if Walton Goggins is ignored yet again at Emmy time, there's a conspiracy. He was fucking amazing in the Shield and I think even gone up a notch on this show. (I really hope Boyd continues to keep on the straight and narrow (at least HIS straight and narrow). Curious as to where the relationship between he and Ava is going.)

Backed on all counts and that scene between Raylan and Mags as you said was awesome. Still though I do with they would use the Tim character more. As a sniper he obviously has some skeletons in his closet and sure do wish they would focus on him more and maybe let him go to Harlan with Raylan from time to time and let him be involved more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed Wes. If they don't have the time to delve into Tim's story further, with as bad ass as he is and the obvious skeletons in his closet, that could end up being a pretty impressive spinoff. (That said, if Rachel's history got a full episode, I think Tim deserves at least one episode as well and probably will get one.)

This show just continues to amaze. Speaking of stories, think of all the story lines they have to get through in the remaining episodes this season: Raylan and the Bennetts, Boyd's crusade to do the right thing by ANY means necessary, Raylan and Winona's potential relationship (or Gary's fight to get her back), Ava/Boyd (and what exactly is their relationship), not to mention finding out more back story of any characters, let alone some of the other people in Raylan's life.

What a fucking problem to have! :tumbsup:

I loved Art's remark to Raylan this week when he called him "The Hillbilly Whisperer" - That was the best line of the season, maybe of any show.

Agreed. I really did laugh out loud at that moment. They've given Art some really good one liners this season. :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

I think after last nights episode we are in for an old time mountain war. Raylan will go nuts. We will have a 3 sided war going on with, once again, Ralyan and Boyd being more alike than different and find themselves fighting a common foe IMO.

Yup great episode. I had read that a major character dies but I didn't expect anything until the finale but then again maybe another one dies.

I knew Mags Bennett seemed familiar. most of the time it bothers me to no end when I see someone on tv or in a movie that I feel I should know or have seen before. I got that from Mags but it didn't bother me enough to go looking on IMDB to find out if I had or if I hadn't. Low and behold, today as I was flipping through the tv channels there she was, playing the good for nothing mom in the fantastic movie Million Dollar Baby.

ok, last night episode, sweet. how about when Raylan had Dickie out in the woods, Dickie was begging for his life and Raylan starts to let out some feeling about Aunt Hellen. that was some nice writing. very good episode and to be honest I was a little upset. I thought they were about to wrap up the whole "war" in one episode.

Now on to something. Harlan County, Kentucky boarders my county I live in in Virginia. I've only been in Harlan County a very few times in my life but I did spend a LOT of time in Letcher County,Kentucky, which also boarders my county here in Virginia and boarders Harlan. I have family in Letcher. The storylines are of course blown out for tv but there are a lot of truths in the characters too. Matter of Fact my uncle's name is Dick. My cousins middle name is Dickie and to be honest, in his younger days looked a whole lot like Raylan does now. If you take Clay Walker and Timothy Olyphant and combine you would have what my cousin looked like growing up. I remember once I was set up on a blind date (double date at that) and when I went in to pick the girl up, her dad was sitting on the couch cleaning his shotgun and looked just like any random character you would see on Justified. Like I said, the characters are blown up for tv and story sake but there is also a lot if truth in these characters. I just see so many traits inbeded in a lot of these characters, they really pull it off very well and it is a shame more filming isn't in our neck of the woods. But I really have to give the actors A+ for their characters.

The scenes between Arlo and Raylan and the ones between Dickie and Raylan were just plain amazing. I also loved the tombstone close up where Wynona sees Raylan's name instead of Helen's. Great episode but I was thinking they'd kill Dickie too. Also who was that lady that showed up and made that guy change his story and how does she tie into the Bennett clan? Should be a great finale next week to what has been a great great season. To be honest I didn't love the Bennett family angle to start the season but now I love to hate every member of that family and the acting has been superb.

so Dickie makes it out alive. can't believe the season is over with. I remember when I was growing up a season pretty much lasted from august till may. Now with the really good shows I just can't get enough.

by the way, love that they show these folks drinking "tea" from a mason jar. I'm sure you all know the term "drinking tea from a mason jar" is all about, right?

anyway just another great episode and I guess that these short seasons make every episode worth something and they have to count for something every week. I think this show is probably under rated by a lot of people.

so Dickie makes it out alive. can't believe the season is over with. I remember when I was growing up a season pretty much lasted from august till may. Now with the really good shows I just can't get enough.

by the way, love that they show these folks drinking "tea" from a mason jar. I'm sure you all know the term "drinking tea from a mason jar" is all about, right?

anyway just another great episode and I guess that these short seasons make every episode worth something and they have to count for something every week. I think this show is probably under rated by a lot of people.

I loved Doyle getting one between the eyes but didn't like Dickie living or Mags taking her own life. Overall I was dissapointed with the anti-climatic ending and was hoping for more Boyd vs Raylan over him taking Dickie and Ava getting shot but I guess that'll be picked up next season. Also wonder if Wyona will not be there when he gets back. A great show and a great season that got better as it went on but I did hope for more out of the finale.

I did read that ratings for season two were double that of season one so the show has found a great following. I wonder how ratings in the state of Kentucky are compared to other parts of the country are?

• 3 weeks later...

After first thought, I agreed with you Wes. But, between some retrospective thought and reading others' take on the situation, Doyle was definitely the most dispensible. Mags, while one of the best-acted characters in recent memory, was a really strong character that could have led to some incredible season 3 storylines. (Margo Martindale's performance was superb! Should be Emmy-worthy.) But I guess that wasn't in the plans. (Check out this interview with Graham Yost, exec. producer of Justified: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Justified-Postmortem-Graham-Yost-1032713.aspx.)

I hated Coover and didn't mind seeing him gone. While I hated Dickie as well, Jeremy Davies' portrayal of him was masterful. With him around, I think they can stop season 3 from just being about the Raylan vs. Boyd situation. (And hopefully they'll focus less on the Winona situation. Much as I adore any screen time Natalie Zea gets, this year, her character amounted to little more than annoying eye candy.) If you think about the scrapes Dickie got into and always managed to get out of, he really might seem like a waste (not imposing), but he's got some sense behind those hidden eyes. He was on death's door twice and managed to escape. Between that fact, how he'll think Raylan killed his whole family, and how his mother would rather die and be with 2 of her boys than be alive and be with him should put a huge chip on his shoulder that should only add to the tension in season 3. Will Dickie go after Loretta for seemingly being the catalyst that caused the downfall of his family? Plus, even though Mags and Raylan ended the Bennett/Givens feud, you know Dickie isn't taking Raylan's word (or anyone's word, if there had been any other witnesses besides Raylan). (See, I think having Dickie back, despite my original anger at him making it through alive, could be a tremendous boon for the storylines of season 3.)

Let alone the Raylan/Boyd issues. Raylan took Dickie from Boyd as a chip in the season finale and Boyd won't get him back and get his retribution for Ava. Will he hold that against Raylan? Will his attitude toward Raylan drop even lower after Raylan's response to Boyd's query when Raylan wanted Dickie: "You askin' or tellin'?" and Raylan said "If it helps, you can tell people I asked."... haha! Plus, if Raylan "disrespects" Ava one more time.....

Wondering if the Raylan/Art issues are dead and buried. Wondering how the older lady that made Jed recant his story is related to the Bennetts. Could that have something to do with next season or was it just needed so that Dickie had any serious charges against him dropped so that he could be out to do some damage in season 3?

Also, REALLY hoping we'll see them step up their used of Tim Gutterson. Twice this season he put a bullet right through someone's skull. He's been shown to kick serious ass. (I could see, if they grow his legend just right, spinning off a series about him. He's dark, seemingly has his head on straight, and just kicks major ass. He also has respect for people he knows to be good (at least at their job), but also draws the line at doing HIS job. (Can you believe that's the kid from Euro Trip? Talk about career divergence.)

I can't believe, with all the guys on this board, this thread has basically evolved, barring the odd one-off comment, into 3 of us talking about it. I know a boardie who loves the show and doesn't post in here, but I'd think people would be ALL over this. As Leykis said, it doesn't have the action of a Shield, but is so phenomenally dialogued and acted, that I can't see how MORE people aren't on board with it. Oh well, more for us.

Absolutely can't wait for season 3.

After first thought, I agreed with you Wes. But, between some retrospective thought and reading others' take on the situation, Doyle was definitely the most dispensible. Mags, while one of the best-acted characters in recent memory, was a really strong character that could have led to some incredible season 3 storylines. (Margo Martindale's performance was superb! Should be Emmy-worthy.) But I guess that wasn't in the plans. (Check out this interview with Graham Yost, exec. producer of Justified: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Justified-Postmortem-Graham-Yost-1032713.aspx.)

I hated Coover and didn't mind seeing him gone. While I hated Dickie as well, Jeremy Davies' portrayal of him was masterful. With him around, I think they can stop season 3 from just being about the Raylan vs. Boyd situation. (And hopefully they'll focus less on the Winona situation. Much as I adore any screen time Natalie Zea gets, this year, her character amounted to little more than annoying eye candy.) If you think about the scrapes Dickie got into and always managed to get out of, he really might seem like a waste (not imposing), but he's got some sense behind those hidden eyes. He was on death's door twice and managed to escape. Between that fact, how he'll think Raylan killed his whole family, and how his mother would rather die and be with 2 of her boys than be alive and be with him should put a huge chip on his shoulder that should only add to the tension in season 3. Will Dickie go after Loretta for seemingly being the catalyst that caused the downfall of his family? Plus, even though Mags and Raylan ended the Bennett/Givens feud, you know Dickie isn't taking Raylan's word (or anyone's word, if there had been any other witnesses besides Raylan). (See, I think having Dickie back, despite my original anger at him making it through alive, could be a tremendous boon for the storylines of season 3.)

Let alone the Raylan/Boyd issues. Raylan took Dickie from Boyd as a chip in the season finale and Boyd won't get him back and get his retribution for Ava. Will he hold that against Raylan? Will his attitude toward Raylan drop even lower after Raylan's response to Boyd's query when Raylan wanted Dickie: "You askin' or tellin'?" and Raylan said "If it helps, you can tell people I asked."... haha! Plus, if Raylan "disrespects" Ava one more time.....

Wondering if the Raylan/Art issues are dead and buried. Wondering how the older lady that made Jed recant his story is related to the Bennetts. Could that have something to do with next season or was it just needed so that Dickie had any serious charges against him dropped so that he could be out to do some damage in season 3?

Also, REALLY hoping we'll see them step up their used of Tim Gutterson. Twice this season he put a bullet right through someone's skull. He's been shown to kick serious ass. (I could see, if they grow his legend just right, spinning off a series about him. He's dark, seemingly has his head on straight, and just kicks major ass. He also has respect for people he knows to be good (at least at their job), but also draws the line at doing HIS job. (Can you believe that's the kid from Euro Trip? Talk about career divergence.)

I can't believe, with all the guys on this board, this thread has basically evolved, barring the odd one-off comment, into 3 of us talking about it. I know a boardie who loves the show and doesn't post in here, but I'd think people would be ALL over this. As Leykis said, it doesn't have the action of a Shield, but is so phenomenally dialogued and acted, that I can't see how MORE people aren't on board with it. Oh well, more for us.

Absolutely can't wait for season 3.

All great points and ideas and if you look at the ratings doubling between season one and two I think more people are getting into this show. I totally agree about Gutterson. Jacob Pitts is a good actor(loved him on the Pacific and 21 but forgot he was on Eurotrip or maybe I didn't know) and have been screaming since season one to let him be more involved. But it is a great show and besides Sons of Anarchy the only FX show that they seem to be giving more than one season two(I'm still mad about the early death of Terriers and Lights Out). Can't wait for Season 3 but wish they'd get it out by this fall instead of next year.

I'm thinking they're hitching their chain to this show. I don't know what's coming down the pike with season 4 of SOA, but I think season 3 has to be pretty universally panned, particularly when viewed in comparison to seasons 1 & 2. So, since things jumped so well for Justified, I can see it being huge in their plans (at least until SOA redeems itself).

I'm thinking all they really have right now are Sunny, SOA, and Justified. (After Rescue Me ends this year.)

While I'm champing at the bit, I will also be excited to see the season and want it to be up to par, so I will gladly let them develop an incredible season 3.

• 8 months later...

Are you guys watching the new shows?

This week was good, but last week's episode ("Harlan Roulette") may have been the best, if not definitely the second best next to last season's finale, episode of this show. Between action and this show's staple awesomeness, dialogue, just an incredible episode.

I still don't know how Walton Goggins hasn't been nominated (and WON!) more awards. It's like he just becomes the character and, therefore, he's not acting, but being "himself". It's something to behold. His delivery of the lines, facial expressions, and mannerisms are just spot on.

I'm still watching and yes it's still great.

Walton does deserve an award and don't get why he hasn't got more credit.

It's been a good season so far but part of me wonders if there are too many bad guys this season. I also will hate to see Kevin Rankin(Devil) go. Sure he's a scumbag but he's been around so long you almost expect him to be a thorn in your side like Dewey Crow or Dickie Bennet.

Also was great to see Carla Guino play Karen(Cisco?)the Miami US Marshall as an almost play on her role as Karen Cisco on UPN show of the same name. I think she is supposed to be back again at least I hope she is.

Good call on Carla. I think she may be there to ultimately split Raylan and Winona. Not that she will be the reason Winona is gone, but maybe cause her to leave Raylan's (protective) side and maybe get kidnapped/murdered by one of the many baddies around this season. (Raylan can't fight them ALL at the same time.) Because, not that this show isn't amazing enough to pull it off, but I don't see it being the same if we're introduced to Papa Raylan.

(Speaking of the multiple baddies, I see it being the reason for at least a partial "reconciliation" with Boyd. I see it as Raylan (marshalls/police) not being able to take on everyone and Boyd seeing it as a defense for his home/business turf so they help each other to get what they each want. I can see that happening and being really cool.)

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks ep was excellent with two all time great scenes between Wynona and Raylan and one between Raylan and Boyd(the Hillbilly on Hillbilly crime quote was great). The show just continues to amaze with great acting and writing.

The million dollar question for me is who does the man from Detroit(Neal McDonough) have tied up in that bedroom?

Last weeks ep was great too with kidney stealing or lack there of. "You mean I have four kidneys?" :lol:

I think I must not have given last week's episode my full attention because I don't seem to be as high on it as others. The week before, now that was a different story.

The kidney scenario was great and Dewey was awesome. When Raylan asked him if he tried peeing: "He took my kidneys Raylan, not my dick!" :rofl2:

I'll have to try to get in a reshowing of the last week's ep before Tuesday.

I think I must not have given last week's episode my full attention because I don't seem to be as high on it as others. The week before, now that was a different story.

The kidney scenario was great and Dewey was awesome. When Raylan asked him if he tried peeing: "He took my kidneys Raylan, not my dick!" :rofl2:

I'll have to try to get in a reshowing of the last week's ep before Tuesday.

The stuff with Dewey and the kidneys were just great. He is so funny.

Loved Tim & Raylan's back and forths this week. They're always good for something.

Next week looks pretty amazing!

Tim and Raylan's interactions are always great, but they've been on fire this season. I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left!