Anyone hate the modern stuff?

JamesEagle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

& SOTY vocalist poor. Yeah nice one mate. One of my fav vocalists period. Any genre, any period.

Agreed. Strong, powerful voice. Love his vocals.

Listening to this now: soothing sounds

Ahh ... that’s better! :tumbsup:

PS, i think you are on the wrong site mate :whistle:

But didn't you hear the great vocals in this band mate?

Yeah, I know. Neither did I. ;)

And I forgot to add... we have very different definitions of the word "chant", James. To me, chanting is the kind of garbage those Nordic bands like Running Wild offer. The chorus for 'Forever' or 'We don't care anymore' is a chant to you? Wow. To each their own, but just sounds like blisteringly strong backing vocals ripping out a chorus not dissimilar to some of the fine tunes of 80's melodic rock. Is all Desmond Child's material "chanting" too? ;)

Breaking Benjamin isn't too bad, you guys are probably going to laugh at me but I really like Lady Gaga...if she keeps it up she could be the next Madonna.

OK let the beatings begin.

No mate, not at all....I'd shag her too.

Breaking Benjamin isn't too bad, you guys are probably going to laugh at me but I really like Lady Gaga...if she keeps it up she could be the next Madonna.

Yeah, me too. Only if she promised to NEVER record another "song" ever, EVER again, and she wore a bag over her head, stapled into place.

Yeah, me too. Only if she promised to NEVER record another "song" ever, EVER again, and she wore a bag over her head, stapled into place.

:agree: Wow I finally agree with something Geoff has said...& by the way there will NEVER be another Madonna (this coming from a fan from way back in the day...) :tsk:

Jesus mate, if I were you I would have given up a long time before you did. You are obviously not cut out for awesome modern rock my friend.

By the way, there are a lot of shite whiny vocalists from the 80s too you know.

& SOTY vocalist poor. Yeah nice one mate. One of my fav vocalists period. Any genre, any period.

As I said, they are just my opinions, thought it was better and more amusing to be brutal rather than hold back, it certainly sparked some debate.

I have tried to explain that there is something about the vocals, maybe the whole sound, in all of this music that immediately turns me off. I admit there were some poor vocalists in the 80s, but they sounded different from each other, for me there is a very generic sound about the vocals in all of these bands. I can't put my finger on it in order to explain it fully, which is quite frustrating. Anyway, it doesn't matter, there is no need for me to listen to these bands and to state a truism, there's no need for anyone else to stop doing so, I just wondered if I had any kindred spirits. Apparently just one. Wish I could explain what it is I hate about these vocals, but I can't - I just know as soon as I hear something that it has this vocal style and I'll probably hate it.

Curse that Shinedown song though, the exception that proves the rule maybe?!

:whistle:

My musical taste has plenty of room for newer hard rock and metal. I don't like all of it, just like back in the 80's/90's I didn't like all of it either. Like Glen said, HOOKS and MELODY are the keys to success if you want to be and stay in my music collection.

Or, if the bands don't have hooks or melodies, then just being called HINDER will be okay. :P

HINDER I don't find that bad actually and I even have 2 of their CD's. I am really proud of myself, but there you go ...... ;)

And so you should be....any self respecting fan of 80s hard rock (which Tim is not ;) ) who claims they dont like 'Take It To The Limit' is being a hypocrite IMO.

Pretty much essential listening to these ears

Pretty strong statement mate. TIM has always stuck to his guns saying he didn't like the Hinder disc, so respect to him for that to be honest. I can see why some would see Hinder as just another band, as It was hardly anything groundbreaking, even if quite a few of us really liked it.

My Hinder comment was just messin' as I know how much it winds everyone up. Though I will say that Hinder are in no way/shape/form a Modern Rock band - they are not even close to that genre. They are just an 80's-influenced Hard Rock act with an updated production. With a shit singer (see, I can't help myself!)

Okay James, just at home now and I got to listen to this, or should I say I got to suffer through it? I have to know, you're not serious are you? Do you like this stuff? Hands down that is one of the worst things I have ever heard in my life. I don't want to say it's the worst music I've ever heard because that would be saying there is something remotely musical about it. I know you were probably just taking the piss, but if you seriously like that mate we have a real issue here. :lol:

I got a bit dispirited by the quality of the new releases from the 80's/90's bands

You really have hit the nail right on the head here Tim with what you have said :agree:

But instead of heading in the Modern Rock direction, I went back to the tried and true, 70's early 80's material which to me had alot more quality, feel and passion to it.

Okay James, just at home now and I got to listen to this, or should I say I got to suffer through it? I have to know, you're not serious are you? Do you like this stuff? Hands down that is one of the worst things I have ever heard in my life. I don't want to say it's the worst music I've ever heard because that would be saying there is something remotely musical about it. I know you were probably just taking the piss, but if you seriously like that mate we have a real issue here. :lol:

On the one hand, I love White Sister, White Lion, LA Guns, Harlan Cage, Ratt, Scorpions, etc.

And on the other hand ... hell yeah, I love this stuff! Not as good as Death or Bolt Thrower, but not much is! I can hear stacks of melody in this music, and music it most certainly is. I can switch between the two styles anytime, it's all good!

:bunch:

On the one hand, I love White Sister, White Lion, LA Guns, Harlan Cage, Ratt, Scorpions, etc.

And on the other hand ... hell yeah, I love this stuff! Not as good as Death or Bolt Thrower, but not much is! I can hear stacks of melody in this music, and music it most certainly is. I can switch between the two styles anytime, it's all good!

:bunch:

Wow, really? I honestly thought you were taking the piss. :lol: Fair enough, if that's your thing good for you but how you can justify critisism of any other vocalist, ever... well, I don't know that you can mate. Have you heard the guy in that band?! I got no issues with your blatant honesty above (in fact I like it) and to take a leaf out of the same book, that is just total garbage to me. You said the above guys weren't singing but just talking. So what's the guy in that band doing? :lol: Trust me, it sure as hell ain't singing. And if you can find melody in that, well you're doing better than me 'cause I sure as hell can't.

Anyway, to each their own and all that. I'm with Glen and Dave above - the thing I love most about music is hooks, melodies, good riffs and cool lyrics. My reason for liking 80's rock is exactly the same as the reasons I love modern rock... I just personally can't see what you'd like about that band at all. :lol: Different strokes, I guess.

So the SOTY vocalist is poor, yet you love the Scorpions?! Wow, one thing I sure as hell don't miss from the 80's/90's is the quality of the vocalists...

Okay, here goes. I've listened to a load of the suggested tracks in the thread plus a few others. I'm going to be completely honest, so some of it might be a tad scathing, but these are just my opinions and obviously represent my tastes only, so I hope no one who has love for these bands take offence!

Story of the Year - Don't Care Any More

Hate the shouted and chanted vocals, the sound is very modern metal to me and I can't stand it.

Papa Roach - Forever

It's that sudden, chanted vocal again. This is modern rock/metal to me, nothing like the chanted vox you get in hard rock. There is something too slick and too manufactured about the sound - hard to explain, but I can hear immediately in the chorus that it has the modern sound and can't stand it.

Papa Roach - What Do You Do?

The lead vocal is so 'modern', like the singer is trying really hard to sound emotional, but it just sounds fake and like he's trying too hard. Not a natural sound like the decent 80s Hard Rock vocalists. This is awful, worst one yet, as bad as Nickelback.

A Change of Pace - Take Care

Love the intro guitar, then those 'fake vocals' kick in. It's barely singing, like talking over the music at times, chanting at others. The vocals make me want to strangle something (which would no doubt make a more pleasant sound than this 'singing'). Horrible.

Yellowcard - Keeper

AAARRRGHHHH! Horrid vocals again. Talking, shouting and chanting. No singing at all. The sound is so generic, it could be any of these artists. Worst one yet. This is torture.

Hinder - Take It To The Limit

Not 80s hard rock at all as far as I can hear. Nice guitars but utterly ruined by terrible vocals, shouted all the way through. I actually really like the guitar on this, but can't enjoy it because of the vocal.

Hinder - Heaven Sent

That big, single-note chant in the chorus that is so typical of the modern stuff. Guitars nice again, and again destroyed by the 'singing'.

Story of the Year - Message to the World

Here we go again, these chanted vocals again. I think this is my main problem with the modern stuff, the vocals all sound like talking/chanting/shouting. Yeah, the 80s stuff had lots of chanting, but is was mainly backing vocals and anyway, it sounded different. Don't really like the song at all.

Story of the Year - Anthem Of Our Dying Day

The tune is fine, vocals ruin it as usual. In fact, this is a good song, probably the best up to this point, but I wouldn't be able to listen to it.

Story of the Year - The Dream Is Over

Now this is a good song, very good, better than any of the others I've listened to in this list. I'm so gutted about the vocals, because again they ruin the song for me.

Story of the Year - Ten Years Down

Don't like this at all, sounds like any other modern rock/metal track, very poor.

Shinedown - Sound of Madness

Nice solo, shame about the rest of it.

Shinedown – If Only You Knew

Slightly less annoying vocal this time, bit more like 80s rock, but still with that modern edge to it. So hard to put into words! Not too bad, but nothing special.

Shinedown – Devour

I should hate this as it ticks all the wrong boxes for me, but I quite like it. More than quite, I might actually download this one. Whoops! :whistle:

Waltham – Joanne

Oh dear.

Cauterize – Something Beautiful

My wife just had to stop me cutting my ears off. I used to think I was the worst singer in the world. Not any more.

Cauterize – Still Breathing

So generic, no tune at all, one of the worst vocalists I’ve ever heard.

That’s it, I’ve had all I can take. Sermon over. If I find a horse's head in my bed tomorrow, I'll know Geoff organised it.

What a great review, man! :rofl2:

So the SOTY vocalist is poor, yet you love the Scorpions?! Wow, one thing I sure as hell don't miss from the 80's/90's is the quality of the vocalists...

Yep, in my opinion, he sounds exactly the same as the vocalists in most of the other bands. Klaus Meine may not have been a great singer, but he made his own sound and I didn't mind it. For some reason, I hate the SOTY 'singer' and the others in the bands I perceive to have a 'modern' sound.

Yeah, and I also love growling, as long as it's deep growling and not screeching or shouty, again I don't know why, I just do. What can I say? I bet you love mushrooms, I hate the f*ing things. Same thing, no explanation, just different tastes.

It's more fun this way, otherwise everyone would be stalking Zooey Deschanel. :quagmire:

Yep, in my opinion, he sounds exactly the same as the vocalists in most of the other bands. Klaus Meine may not have been a great singer, but he made his own sound and I didn't mind it. For some reason, I hate the SOTY 'singer' and the others in the bands I perceive to have a 'modern' sound.

Yeah, and I also love growling, as long as it's deep growling and not screeching or shouty, again I don't know why, I just do. What can I say? I bet you love mushrooms, I hate the f*ing things. Same thing, no explanation, just different tastes.

It's more fun this way, otherwise everyone would be stalking Zooey Deschanel. :quagmire:

One thing I find really noticeable is that the bands are much more serious these days, everything is about looking/sounding tough & intense and less about the actual enjoyment & entertainment. Modern production is very compressed and slick and the emphasis (especially in Metal) is more about technical ability than song hooks or lyrical content. This is why a lot of old-school Metal fans are probably bored shitless by todays music & find it a bit soulless. I see a ton of Metal gigs (usually one or two a week) and you really notice the difference between the old/new school stuff, especially at the heavier end of the spectrum. Last night I saw TRIVIUM supported by CHIMAIRA/WHITECHAPEL & frankly the kids in these bands have so much technical ability they could wipe the floor with some older school bands - but I can see why so many would find it all too soulless...

I see a ton of Metal gigs (usually one or two a week)

Holy shit.

I really don't care for most of the modern rock bands but I do like Nickelback (seen 'em live a couple of times & they're really good). I Also like Shinedown, Godsmack & Mudvayne (the new single "Scream With Me" is amazing) but I really don't have any use for any of the other bands...

I've got a simple logic when it comes to music, if I like it, I dont care what genre it is.

There were plenty of shit bands in the 80s and their are plenty of shit bands now, but to call of the current crop 'generic' is kinda strange.

I mean, yeah you can compare bands like SR-71 and Bowling for Soup, or bands like Nickelback and Hinder. But you cannot compare Bowling For Soup with Hinder as they are nothing alike. Both modern rock bands, but certainly nothing alike that would make them generic.

If you go back a few years when Papa Roach was more rap orientated, there were a lot of bands that came along with a similar sound or in the same genre, I agree, but as time has worn on and the musical fashion lost its popularity, most of these bands either disapeared or changed style.

So many current rock bands definetly are starting to be more and more influenced by the 80s rock era with the return of guitar solos, melody and a sense of fun.

Bands like Hinder and Nickleback give us 80s melodic rock with a modern twist.

Bands like The Donnas & Bowling For Soup have a pop punk sound, but have an 80s melodic metal sense of fun.

Bands like Airbourne are straight out of the 70s/80s playbook.

Bands like Avenged Sevenfold are all about combining the modern era with classic 80s metal.

Bands like The Answer have a 60s/70s vibe going on.

Even bands like My Chemical Romance may be emo and take themselves to serious, but they certainly take a lot of cues musically from 80s bands.

And honestly, of all the bands I mentioned, how many of them sound like eachother?

I'm too old to give a f*ck either way. Haha. Occasionally something "modern" or "new" might come on the radio in the car that makes me say "Hey, that's not bad," but I've never run out and bought CDs by any of 'em.

I'm with Tim here. I really like loads of the modern stuff like All that remains, Spineshank, Soilwork, Stone Sour, Sonic Syndicate, Papa Roach Scar Symmetry etc. Some of these bands even have more hooks that that the bands that plays 80-ies melodic rock of today IMO. yes the some of the albums might be a little overproduced but mostly it suits the music.

You know you can love both. I just also love the 80-ies hardrock. Which genre I listen to goes up and down. I suppose it depends which mode I'm in.

Just before this fades, James, have you heard stuff like Scar Symmetry and Sonic Syndicate yet? They might be more up your alley than the other clean-vocal stuff.

Both these bands have those horrible growling vocals you like, but are also very melodic too. To be honest, they leave that band you had the link too for dead, and then spit on their graves after urinating on them, and defecating too... after they've ejaculated on them.

but i can't deny them that the vast majority of them are strong candidates for the Four F Club....

:unsure: .....Is it just me