Serpentine

rockdoc

Ha ha, this thread is getting funnier by the second.

Serpentine better than The Magnificent?? Ye Gods, James sometimes you amaze me.

Serpentine on a par with the new Steel Panther :wacko:

I think Im in the twilight zone........and its scary.

We've been here before. Opinions will differ, there's no rationalising it. Yeah, for me Serpentine is loads better than Steel Panther (which I like) and The Magnificent (which so far I don't). I could find it mindboggling that people like, for example, Bullet For My Valentine, Hammerfall and The Poodles. But they do and that's how music works. At least we're not listening to Westlife, Will Young, Alex Parks, etc.

We've been here before. Opinions will differ, there's no rationalising it. Yeah, for me Serpentine is loads better than Steel Panther (which I like) and The Magnificent (which so far I don't). I could find it mindboggling that people like, for example, Bullet For My Valentine, Hammerfall and The Poodles. But they do and that's how music works. At least we're not listening to Westlife, Will Young, Alex Parks, etc.

Yeah I get all that, its just that even after a year I just cant call your tastes mate.

Some things you like are just so random - and different to nearly everyone else on this board - it follows that if you like 'exhibit A'....you should like 'exhibit B' which is million times better, but most of time you dont.

Thats all.

This is bland stuff. In isolation it's pretty okay, but is so far removed from the best stuff from the past two years that it's just not worth getting IMO. The new Shy disc kicks-dirt-in-it's-face...

Disagree friend.

IMO, this album was somehow poorly undervalued because it's shadowed by the likes of WoA, WW, Reckless Love, etc.

The new Shy is also a great album but definitely not worth anything beyond 85%, in fact I still rate it 80% for now because it has at least 4 weak tracks that should be around 60-65% but it has 3-4 tracks that's worth of 90%-100%, while Serpentine is pretty balance from start to finish, and it has the arrangement that simply melodic rock fans will embrace with only 2 tracks I rated 75% (sorry James, 'Nuremberg' is one of em) while the rest are between 80%-85%, but nothing is beyond that.

After a quick spin again, I came to a conclusion that Serpentine deserved around 82%, so I'll just round it down to 80% which means can't touch WoA or Toby, but at the moment, it's simply a head-to-head competitor to K/J, Fergie, Shy and Steel Panther.

I know quite a lot of people rate more consistent albums higher than those with a few killer tunes, but I don't. I find albums that are consistent but with no real big standouts to be a bit uninspiring. The Shy has 3 or 4 absolutely stunning tracks, and there's nothing anywhere close on the Serpentine. If I was to rate each track then I might actually aggregate the Serpentine up fairly high, but the lack of stand-outs mean it won't get played much in a year of tons of killer tunes. For me the SHY is about 80% whereas Serpentine is around the 60 mark at best.

Yeah I get all that, its just that even after a year I just cant call your tastes mate.

Some things you like are just so random - and different to nearly everyone else on this board - it follows that if you like 'exhibit A'....you should like 'exhibit B' which is million times better, but most of time you dont.

Thats all.

I don't have an explanation. I can't help it, it's not deliberate!