The Pacific - HBO Miniseries Premeires March 14th

heaven&hell

Started in Australia last week with 2 hour premier, and next episode is on Wednesday, set in Melbourne. It's hard to say "yeah I love it" as you watch these guys getting shot up knowing full well it's all based on true events... but it is very well made and engrossing viewing. These type of shows/movies always sadden me, but it's an excellent series so far.

We just finished the 6th episode yesterday where their on Pelilu island.

It's been a very good series but very different from Band of Brothers since it's based on 3 different story lines.

The 3rd episode is based in Melbourne and has some very good parts including some nice nudity that you should enjoy.

Nice, nudity is what I like. :)

I assure you mate it wasn't that exciting, although the dark haired lady in question was quite tasty.

Just watched the fourth episode over here and so far am quite enjoying it. The trouble with this is I start to really get in to it and then bam, it's finished after 50 minutes and I have to wait another whole week to see the next episode. Much better to do it as double episodes as with the opening two each time I reckon.

In a series like this I prefer to record them all then sit down and watch them at my leisure.....all of them over the course of a weekend.....much better that way...

Yeah, if I could be bothered, patient or had the time I'd definitely wait until the end until it's released on DVD and just watch it in one or two huge blocks as it'd be much better that way. But I guess having it on TV each week is just far more convenient. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Part 8 was a huge let down IMO that focused on Basilone and him going back to Iwo Jima with a different Marine Division. Problem is they only showed about 5 minutes of Iwo Jima and way to much about his love story.

Part 9 just aired tonight and while it was good it wasn't mindblowing and could of been sooo much better. It was about Okinawa and after reading Eugene Sledge's book "With the Old Breed" it's just ridiculous that they only had one episode about Okinawa. This should of been at least 2 if not 3 episodes for this battle. There was so much good stuff left out and some of the situations aren't the way it actually happened in the book which is what happened a few times in Band of Brothers as well but it was usually minor things with that with this series they've done it on some major things that have left me kind of cold.

I'm still enjoying this series but it's just not the same as BOB IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally caught up with all the missed episodes and caught the finale last night. I found I was deeply moved - on the verge of tears - by the whole scene where Basilone's wife went to his families house to deliver the medal of honour. What a sad scene. Aside from that, it was a cool enough end, I guess. I enjoyed the series a lot, but like you say Wes, wasn't as good as 'Band of Brothers'.

The problem I had, I think, was getting involved with the characters. I apologise as I am useless with names, but aside from Leckie, Sledge and his cool slow talking buddy, and Basilone, I found it very hard to build any kind of viewer's relationship with the other characters. From episode to episode I found myself confused with who was who. Maybe that just means I need to watch it a few more times?

Brilliantly made show... just seemed to be lacking a little something. But I'd buy both this and the 'Band of Brothers' box-sets one day. Hopefully. :)

Well, I finally caught up with all the missed episodes and caught the finale last night. I found I was deeply moved - on the verge of tears - by the whole scene where Basilone's wife went to his families house to deliver the medal of honour. What a sad scene. Aside from that, it was a cool enough end, I guess. I enjoyed the series a lot, but like you say Wes, wasn't as good as 'Band of Brothers'.

The problem I had, I think, was getting involved with the characters. I apologise as I am useless with names, but aside from Leckie, Sledge and his cool slow talking buddy, and Basilone, I found it very hard to build any kind of viewer's relationship with the other characters. From episode to episode I found myself confused with who was who. Maybe that just means I need to watch it a few more times?

Brilliantly made show... just seemed to be lacking a little something. But I'd buy both this and the 'Band of Brothers' box-sets one day. Hopefully. :)

I tell you the two books this is based, "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie, are worth reading and after reading the books they could of made another ten episodes easily and so much good stuff was left out. I think the problem with the characters was that you had a small group from three different companies that were from three different regiments that were in the same division. I really enjoyed the relationship that Leckie, Runner, Chuckler and Hoosier had and it seems they remained friends the rest of their lives. I also loved the dynamic between Sledge and Snafu(Shelton) and that group that included Bill Leydon but the jumping between the three groups made it hard to have an attachment to to many characters. Plus where in Band of Brothers the officers had a huge role in this series the officers were almost nameless. I only knew who some of them were from reading the books. All in all a good series but just not as good as BOB, but with that being said I do believe that it would be a crime if James Badge Dale(Leckie) or Joe Mazzello(Sledge) aren't nominated as best actor for a mini series.

^^ LOL!

I had trouble seperating the charactors too, I just chalked it up to getting older ("kids" are starting to look alike to me)!

I liked the series and plan to rewatch it one day. The last episode esp was very touching. BTW, for any who have HBO ON DEMAND, you can check out featurettes of the real life Marines the story was based on.