Stryper starting work on new album already...

whiplash1972

Stryper announced the title of the new covers album on their Facebook page today. The title is....

(dun...dun...dun....wait for it...)

...THE COVERING.

Woo, they must've sat up all night coming up with that one. :blink:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stryper announced the title of the new covers album on their Facebook page today. The title is....

(dun...dun...dun....wait for it...)

...THE COVERING.

Woo, they must've sat up all night coming up with that one. :blink:

HAHA!!!! That is brilliantly awful! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The new Stryper album entitled "The Covering" featuring all original members will be released in the Fall of 2010. Read the letter from Michael Sweet below for more details:

Hey Everyone,

Just as promised, I wanted to outline some more details regarding the new Stryper record. We grew up listening to many different styles of music and there is a list of bands that influenced us throughout our musical education. Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kansas and many others, helped to shape our sound and make us who we are today, musically speaking. We grew up on the streets of LA playing every club in town from Gazzari's to The Whisky to The Troubadour to you name it. We played covers from all the bands mentioned above and we shaped our own sound from listening and performing songs from these classic bands. We wanted to step outside the box and record a record that shows you, the fans, where we come from - our historical, musical roots so to speak. It's a side to Stryper that no one has really seen or heard before, or at least quite like this. We performed "On Fire" by Van Halen on a few tours and we also performed "Breaking The Law" by Priest on this last tour. The response was far beyond our expectations each time we performed these songs. People seemed genuinely surprised to hear Stryper cover these songs and even more surprised to hear Stryper perform these songs relatively well. This will be an opportunity for Robert, Oz, Tim and myself to loosen up and have some fun. For those of you who may think that we're walking away from our faith - your wrong. We've never been more serious about our faith at any point in our lives. It is however important to enjoy what you do and lighten up from time to time. That's what we plan to do. This will be a fun record to make and we hope that this comes through, as well as the chance to showcase the abilities that we've been blessed with. More details to come and a specific song list and sequence to follow. We're looking forward to getting back into the studio and more important, to seeing all of you on the road again this year!

Be well, be blessed and let the games begin,

Michael

http://twitter.com/michaelhsweet

• 1 month later...

Samples now available:

http://www.stryper.com/thecovering777/

Woo, checkin' these samples out now... "Set Me Free" sounds pretty good (tho Heathen's version is still the superior cover... haha)

"The Trooper" sounds better than I expected... Michael's no Bruce Dickinson though...

VH's "On Fire" is right in the pocket for them. Their early sound was basically derived/stolen from DLR era VH anyway...

All in all, not bad... think I'll be picking this disc up...

I had planned on picking this one up anyway, but after hearing the samples, I'm really looking forward to it. I think they've done an excellent job of choosing songs they knew they could "pull off". I particularly like "Carry on My Wayward Son" and "Heaven & Hell". :banger:

Woo, checkin' these samples out now... "Set Me Free" sounds pretty good (tho Heathen's version is still the superior cover... haha)

Haven't heard the Stryper version yet but the Heather one does kick butt and so does the Vince Neil version as well.

So Tim Gaines is back in the band now? I thought they had fired him.

He rejoined for the 25th anniversary tour.

Doesn't he rejoin the band just before they release any of their CDs?

Just a quick posting from their Facebook page

Looks like we're going to ITunes with a single-"Heaven and Hell" it is!

Nothing can touch the original but we want to honor Ronnie

As far as I know he hasnt been on one of their studio albums since Against the law.

Tracy Ferry has been on the last two.

And even before that, when I was listening to their dicography recently and reading through the booklets - it seemed as though someone else had played bass on most of the actual albums, only to have Gaines return just in time for the band photo in the CD booklet and following gigs?

As far as I know he hasnt been on one of their studio albums since Against the law.

Tracy Ferry has been on the last two.

And even before that, when I was listening to their dicography recently and reading through the booklets - it seemed as though someone else had played bass on most of the actual albums, only to have Gaines return just in time for the band photo in the CD booklet and following gigs?

From what I remember, he quit mid way through the recording of To Hell With The Devil (I think he contributed some of the bass tracks, and Brad Cobb the others), but rejoined again just before it was released, purely as a touring bassist.

I dont think he played on In God We Trust at all, but was still their touring bassist.

He did though return to the studio for Against the law, but wast on the cover of Shining Star, for some reason.

Yeah, Tim's position in Stryper can be compared to Fred Coury's in Cinderella. He shows up for the tours but hardly ever appears on the records.

I remember when Tim split during the TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL era, there was even a pinup in Metal Edge mag of the band with his replacement, Matt Hurich (ex-Leatherwolf). Then for whatever reason Gaines came back and Hurich got the boot.

He did though return to the studio for Against the law, but wasn't on the cover of Shining Star, for some reason.

Believe it or not, the bass player on Stryper's cover of "Shining Star" was Randy "Dawg" Jackson, of "American Idol" fame. He was a very in-demand session bass player at the time.

220px-Randyjacksonpic.jpg

"Uh, yeah, dawg, y'knumsayin', I was down with the Stryper, y'know, givin up some funk for the Lawd. It was a little pitchy for me but it was a'ight, knum'sayin'? HOLLA!"

Yeah, Tim's position in Stryper can be compared to Fred Coury's in Cinderella. He shows up for the tours but hardly ever appears on the records.

I remember when Tim split during the TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL era, there was even a pinup in Metal Edge mag of the band with his replacement, Matt Hurich (ex-Leatherwolf). Then for whatever reason Gaines came back and Hurich got the boot.

He did though return to the studio for Against the law, but wasn't on the cover of Shining Star, for some reason.

Believe it or not, the bass player on Stryper's cover of "Shining Star" was Randy "Dawg" Jackson, of "American Idol" fame. He was a very in-demand session bass player at the time.

"Uh, yeah, dawg, y'knumsayin', I was down with the Stryper, y'know, givin up some funk for the Lawd. It was a little pitchy for me but it was a'ight, knum'sayin'? HOLLA!"

:lol: Holy shitballs! Really? Now that I did not know. Even when you said Randy Jackson I was thinking of that other dude from, what is it, Zebra or something? But it was the Idol judge?! That's craziness. I always hated that song, but I want to love it now.

:lol: Holy shitballs! Really? Now that I did not know. Even when you said Randy Jackson I was thinking of that other dude from, what is it, Zebra or something? But it was the Idol judge?! That's craziness. I always hated that song, but I want to love it now.

Fo'realz, G-Dawg. Tha OTHA Randy Jackson never coulda brought the FUNK to that Strypa track... He too damn WHITE y'all! Sheeeeeit woulda been wack as HELL, knum'sayin? :lol:

Fo'realz, G-Dawg. Tha OTHA Randy Jackson never coulda brought the FUNK to that Strypa track... He too damn WHITE y'all! Sheeeeeit woulda been wack as HELL, knum'sayin? :lol:

:lol: Pickin' up what you're puttin' down, RJ. In all honesty, there is a boatload of funk magic on that track, which funnily enough is probably the reason I always hated it. :lol: But yeah, mad props for making his presence known.

Correct, album as well :)

RJ Great bass player - Loved the 'Shooting Sharks' bass lines he did with Blue Oyster Cult.