Stryper starting work on new album already...

whiplash1972

There are enough references to god on that album, without being as blatant as previous releases, but the bible bashers felt slighted, as you say, because the album wasnt full of overly preachy songs.

Rock the hell out of you is one of my faves from that album, and like you say, the meaning could not be more obvious, especially if you actually bother to listen to the lyrics as well.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are enough references to god on that album, without being as blatant as previous releases, but the bible bashers felt slighted, as you say, because the album wasnt full of overly preachy songs.

Rock the hell out of you is one of my faves from that album, and like you say, the meaning could not be more obvious, especially if you actually bother to listen to the lyrics as well.

AGAINST THE LAW is my favorite Stryper album. It's definitely aged the best out of their "classic" catalog.

Highway Star (Deep Purple)

That song was already covered to perfection by Metal Church on their first album. Nobody's gonna be able to top that one. :lol:

People think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Anyone who makes a comment about Stryper turning their back on our lord and saviour Jesus Christ because of this album, or even the 'Against the Law' album should be murdered. Preferrably legally, but as it's not possible there must be a way for thier lives to be ended. THERE MUST! Because honestly, what kind of "life" have they got anyway if that's the way their "brains" are wired? Brutally slay them.

I wonder if they think they're turning their back on Christ if they actually think of their wife when making love to her. Or do they just picture Jesus' face so as not to break the faith for a moment?

I wonder if they think they're turning their back on Christ if they actually think of their wife when making love to her. Or do they just picture Jesus' face so as not to break the faith for a moment?

WTF. :lol:

This is what Michael has to say about the new song, God:

Wrote a song recently entitled "God" -very heavy lyrically and musically- old school metal. Something new for those who want it!

I am hoping its not overly preachy, but I do see it as being added to appease those who are trying to claim they are turning their back on their faith.

If it is indeed 'Old school metal' then it may very well be a good compromise for me.

While I am not of the same school as Geoff with the preachy lyrics totally ruining a song for me, they dont sit too well for me on tracks that a musically not as strong, that I may have enjoyed more if not for the lyrics not being my cup of tea as well.

Some of the best preachy Stryper songs are the ones where the music totally makes you forget what the song is about, or makes you not think about it.

I dont want this to come across as anti-Christian, as its the same for any song really.

The song Blueberry by Lita Ford is a perfect example of this too.

The lyrics are just so damn unapealing, and teamed with a weaker tune, it just does absolutely nothing for me, where as with better lyrics, it might have had a slightly better chance of being tolerated.

While I am not of the same school as Geoff with the preachy lyrics totally ruining a song for me,

Haha. Not always mate. A handful of bands like Holy Soldier (first 2 albums), The Brave ('Battle Cries'), Bloodgood ('All stand together) and Rage of Angels, for example, showed that it can be done well enough, if the songs themselves are actually good enough. Regardless of how much I hate christianity or any type of religion, if the actual tune is good enough the lyrics don't turn me off completely. It's just that I honestly, truly, don't believe that there really were that many good christian bands out there. Regardless of lyrics, as far as I know it's pretty popular opinion that's Stryper's best album, by far, is 'Against the Law', which also just happened to be their least religious.

Could it be that singing about Jesus constantly also eats away at the ability to make good music? :lol:

Anyone who makes a comment about Stryper turning their back on our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ because of this album, or even the 'Against the Law' album, should be murdered. Preferrably legally, but as it's not possible there must be a way for their lives to be ended. THERE MUST! Because honestly, what kind of "life" have they got anyway if that's the way their "brains" are wired? Brutally slay them.

Slaughter everyone who thinks differently than you? Hmmmmm...would your name happen to be Hitler? :devil:

Anyone who makes a comment about Stryper turning their back on our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ because of this album, or even the 'Against the Law' album, should be murdered. Preferrably legally, but as it's not possible there must be a way for their lives to be ended. THERE MUST! Because honestly, what kind of "life" have they got anyway if that's the way their "brains" are wired? Brutally slay them.

Slaughter everyone who thinks differently than you? Hmmmmm...would your name happen to be Hitler? :devil:

No, not at all. The entire world thinks differently to me... no need to slaughter everyone. When did I even hint at that?

I'm only talking about a select few (I hope) freaks that are that f*cked in the head they can't enjoy their time here anyway, so why not get rid of them in a violent, painful manner so they can go and be with their warped and messed up idea of Jesus where they truly will be happy?

Honestly mate, can you tell me, even as a christian, that you think this manner of thinking is sensible or healthy in any way? It says to me that basically you can't sneeze unless you are sneezing for Jesus, let alone listen to or play some music that may not be totally devoted to God every second of every day. I've never been one to beat around the bush on these matters and I have no issue saying that I think these guys are total, complete and utter morons. Certifiably brain dead, in fact. And I've always been pro-euthanasia if the situation calls for it.

Let's say for example I hate horse racing. There is no way in the world I would listen to a song about horse racing. I couldn't think of anything worse and more pointless.

So I can't for one moment fathom why someone who hates Christianity/Jesus/God would waste their time listening to Christian music. Surely there are better things to do in life than listen to something that is built around something you hate.

All depends on what you look for in music personally. As I have always said, I don't care if a band sings about Jesus, Satan, homosexual sex, sex with animals, rape, torture, flowers, cuddling polar bears, eating children... it's really no concern of mine. If the actual tune is good (good riffs, big hooks, nice harmonies, good chorus etc.), I'm interested.

But clearly (as was made very obvious with Steel Panther) this is not everyone's way of thinking when it comes to music. To each their own.

All depends on what you look for in music personally. As I have always said, I don't care if a band sings about Jesus, Satan, homosexual sex, sex with animals, rape, torture, flowers, cuddling polar bears, eating children... it's really no concern of mine. If the actual tune is good (good riffs, big hooks, nice harmonies, good chorus etc.), I'm interested.

But clearly (as was made very obvious with Steel Panther) this is not everyone's way of thinking when it comes to music. To each their own.

All good Geoff if that works for you mate....but if you don't care about what a band sings about, why listen to it and then knock the lyrics later????

All good Geoff if that works for you mate....but if you don't care about what a band sings about, why listen to it and then knock the lyrics later????

It's not that I don't care at all. Obviously I have preferences. As I said before, I actually really like the Steel Panther lyrics and think it ADDS to the worth of the CD rather than detracts from it... whereas for a lot of people the lyrics alone destroyed the CD for them.

Even though I tolerate certain lyrics for the sake of a good song, it doesn't mean I have to agree with, or like what's being said.

I'm sure there are a lot of very sexy christian girls out there in the world who would provide a lot of fun if you penetrated them sexually often, but just because you enjoy having sex with them, or you enjoy listening to their music, doesn't mean you have to agree with or even like what they're saying, or what they believe in.

Like I said, I would listen to a song about rape if it was a good tune, but that doesn't mean I condone rape.

End of the day, I am certainly not the only person who listens to christian rock music with a strong dislike for the lyrics. I just have more free time at work and end up babbling about it more than others. :)

It's not that I don't care at all. Obviously I have preferences. As I said before, I actually really like the Steel Panther lyrics and think it ADDS to the worth of the CD rather than detracts from it... whereas for a lot of people the lyrics alone destroyed the CD for them.

Even though I tolerate certain lyrics for the sake of a good song, it doesn't mean I have to agree with, or like what's being said.

I'm sure there are a lot of very sexy christian girls out there in the world who would provide a lot of fun if you penetrated them sexually often, but just because you enjoy having sex with them, or you enjoy listening to their music, doesn't mean you have to agree with or even like what they're saying, or what they believe in.

Like I said, I would listen to a song about rape if it was a good tune, but that doesn't mean I condone rape.

End of the day, I am certainly not the only person who listens to christian rock music with a strong dislike for the lyrics. I just have more free time at work and end up babbling about it more than others. :)

Ahh free time at work......makes sense now. Enjoy!

No, not at all. The entire world thinks differently to me...no need to slaughter everyone. When did I even hint at that?

I'm only talking about a select few (I hope) freaks that are that f*cked in the head they can't enjoy their time here anyway, so why not get rid of them in a violent, painful manner so they can go and be with their warped and messed up idea of Jesus where they truly will be happy?

Honestly mate, can you tell me, even as a Christian, that you think this manner of thinking is sensible or healthy in any way? It says to me that basically you can't sneeze unless you are sneezing for Jesus, let alone listen to or play some music that may not be totally devoted to God every second of every day. I've never been one to beat around the bush on these matters and I have no issue saying that I think these guys are total, complete and utter morons. Certifiably brain dead, in fact. And I've always been pro-euthanasia if the situation calls for it.

OK, maybe you didn't say "everyone," but you are advocating the massacre of an entire religious group (conservative Christianity) which isn't too far removed from what Hitler did to the Jews.

Now, I'll tell you why you shouldn't "get rid of them"--because quite often they don't stay that "fucked in the head," eventually evolving into something a little less extreme. Mate, there was a time in my life when I wholeheartedly believed rock music was evil, that Christian rock was a tool of Satan, that men with long hair were sinning against God, that missing church when the doors were open was a terrible sin, that saying "crap" was profane, that a woman wearing pants was an offense to Jehovah, and that so much as holding a girl's hand before marriage was an abomination. So, you see, I once was the very thing you say should be exterminated. And then, one day, I snapped out of it, and look at where I am now--still a Christian, but about as liberal as it gets, without all the legalistic garbage bogging me down. So, while it's certainly you're right to hate them and everything they believe (and trust me, I have little patience or tolerance for it anymore either, because I feel they paint my faith in a very poor light), maybe you could stop short of wishing a Holocaust redux on them.

On topic (kind of) - I've never bought any Stryper, but am seriously considering changing that. Sounding like 'Against The Law' is probably the place to start... I'm not a huge fan of Christian hard rock per se, but if it's decent (preferably heavy) hard rock, I'll give it a go. Any comments? Is this a slippery slope I should avoid?

:o

No, not at all. The entire world thinks differently to me...no need to slaughter everyone. When did I even hint at that?

Honestly mate, can you tell me, even as a Christian, that you think this manner of thinking is sensible or healthy in any way? It says to me that basically you can't sneeze unless you are sneezing for Jesus, let alone listen to or play some music that may not be totally devoted to God every second of every day. I've never been one to beat around the bush on these matters and I have no issue saying that I think these guys are total, complete and utter morons. Certifiably brain dead, in fact. And I've always been pro-euthanasia if the situation calls for it.

OK, maybe you didn't say "everyone," but you are advocating the massacre of an entire religious group (conservative Christianity) which isn't too far removed from what Hitler did to the Jews.

Now, I'll tell you why you shouldn't "get rid of them"--because quite often they don't stay that "fucked in the head," eventually evolving into something a little less extreme. Mate, there was a time in my life when I wholeheartedly believed rock music was evil, that Christian rock was a tool of Satan, that men with long hair were sinning against God, that missing church when the doors were open was a terrible sin, that saying "crap" was profane, that a woman wearing pants was an offense to Jehovah, and that so much as holding a girl's hand before marriage was an abomination. So, you see, I once was the very thing you say should be exterminated. And then, one day, I snapped out of it, and look at where I am now--still a Christian, but about as liberal as it gets, without all the legalistic garbage bogging me down. So, while it's certainly you're right to hate them and everything they believe (and trust me, I have little patience or tolerance for it anymore either, because I feel they paint my faith in a very poor light), maybe you could stop short of wishing a Holocaust redux on them.

:lol: Okay mate, fair enough point. Maybe we can hold off on the slaughter for, say, a 2 year limit? If they haven't snapped out of it from 2 years of commencement let the slaughter begin. ;)

Or you or like minded souls should hold classes on how to be a "normal christian" to snap these clowns out of it. :)

On topic (kind of) - I've never bought any Stryper, but am seriously considering changing that. Sounding like 'Against The Law' is probably the place to start... I'm not a huge fan of Christian hard rock per se, but if it's decent (preferably heavy) hard rock, I'll give it a go. Any comments? Is this a slippery slope I should avoid?

Honestly mate, Stryper were a really, really patchy band, imo. Without a doubt in the world 'Against the Law' is their finest hour and I don't think you'd get many people disagreeing with that. You could honestly just get that one and not be missing out on much. Their next best album, imo, is 'In God We Trust' which I do also recommend. More good songs than duds and a splendid production job / sound. Of the ones before, I thought there were more fillers than good songs on them, except for their debut, 'The yellow and black attack'. That's actually a pretty damn good disc. Just suffers from some really terrible lyrics and a basic production job. So that'd be my recommendations in this order:

1. Against the law

2. In God We Trust

3. The Yellow and Black attack

The latest 2 albums are both pretty good too, but more modern so not sure how that'd sit with you.

Cheers Geoff. 'Modern' really isn't for me, so I will probably start with 'Against The Law' and see how I go.

I can often get past bad lyrics if a tune is good ... although 'America (Hello Again)' by White Wolf really wound me up on that score - best tune on the album, but I want to strangle the lyricist!

:angryfire:

Michael Sweet has apparently been revealing a song per day via Twitter...this is the most current update of the songs that'll be on the CD:

Breaking the Law - Judas Priest

Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne

The Trooper - Iron Maiden

Blackout - Scorpions

Set Me Free - Sweet

On Fire - Van Halen

Highway Star - Deep Purple

GOD - Stryper (new original)

Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

I have GOT to hear them do "Heaven and Hell." But if they f**k it up I swear I'll kill all four of them. :lol:

Yeah "Against The Law" is the only one really worth picking up. Even then I wouldn't pay much for it. Sweet is a talented guy & his solo stuff was way better IMO.

Michael Sweet has apparently been revealing a song per day via Twitter...this is the most current update of the songs that'll be on the CD:

Breaking the Law - Judas Priest

Over the Mountain - Ozzy Osbourne

The Trooper - Iron Maiden

Blackout - Scorpions

Set Me Free - Sweet

On Fire - Van Halen

Highway Star - Deep Purple

GOD - Stryper (new original)

Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath

I have GOT to hear them do "Heaven and Hell." But if they f**k it up I swear I'll kill all four of them. :lol:

The only 2 songs there which even vaguely interest me are 'Heaven & Hell' and 'The Trooper' and i would bet my bottom dollar that Styper's versions are going to be shite compared to the originals.

Cheers Geoff. 'Modern' really isn't for me, so I will probably start with 'Against The Law' and see how I go.

I can often get past bad lyrics if a tune is good ... although 'America (Hello Again)' by White Wolf really wound me up on that score - best tune on the album, but I want to strangle the lyricist!

:angryfire:

Against The Law is a great album I will agree, but I am surprised noone has mentioned you pick up Soldiers Under Command.?! Nice and heavy with some great harmonies and guitar work, sounds a little dated, but it was 1985...

Frankly if you can turn a deaf ear to some of the lyrics, as a whole, all the Stryper stuff is musically quite nice...

And agreeing with T-2, Sweets solo releases are worth a listen or two.