Stryper starting work on new album already...

whiplash1972

http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...geID=6637314346

New Stryper record....

Wow! Typically (and historically) speaking, a new Stryper record comes out every 2-3 years. I'm pleased to announce shocking news - we are starting pre-production at the end of February (of this year) and we begin recording the 2nd week of March (of this year)! We will have a new record completed by early May 2010 and we will be planning for a release later in the year!!!

I don't want to say too much at this time but I will write an update by next week describing what we're going to do and I can tell you this - it won't be what anyone expects and it will show a completely different side to Stryper that the world has never heard before. Let the controversy begin...........

More to come at http://www.michaelsweet.com and http://www.stryper.com by 2/15.

The band is incredibly excited about this project and the label is equally as excited... Great things ahead!

Always,

Michael Sweet

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, wonder what they've got up their sleeve. Maybe they're gonna try their hand at death-metal. :banger: Actually, now that I think about it, I would probably buy such an album... :anon:

nope, country-jazz-50's inspired rap album.

a Stryper covers / tribute album :beerbang:

A tribute to Nirvana....

As most I don't expect this album to be liked to much by their hardcore fans.

I guess I don't understand why they want to go into a different direction this late in the game.

If you want to try someting so unlike your signature sound than change the band name for the sake of your fans.

Who knows maybe I'll be wrong.

Its a covers album...

Details of new Stryper record

Current mood: rockin

FEBRUARY 15, 2010 - Hey Everyone, Just as promised, I wanted to outline some more details regarding the new Stryper record. We grew up listening to many different styles of music and there is a list of bands that influenced us throughout our musical education. ............Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kansas and many others, helped to shape our sound and make us who we are today, musically speaking.

We grew up on the streets of LA playing every club in town from Gazzari's to The Whisky to The Troubadour to you name it. We played covers from all the bands mentioned above and we shaped our own sound from listening and performing songs from these classic bands.

We wanted to step outside the box and record a record that shows you, the fans, where we come from - our historical, musical roots so to speak. It's a side to Stryper that no one has really seen or heard before, or at least quite like this. We performed "On Fire" by Van Halen on a few tours and we also performed "Breaking The Law" by Priest on this last tour. The response was far beyond our expectations each time we performed these songs. People seemed genuinely surprised to hear Stryper cover these songs and even more surprised to hear Stryper perform these songs relatively well. This will be an opportunity for Robert, Oz, Tim and myself to loosen up and have some fun.

For those of you who may think that we're walking away from our faith - your wrong. We've never been more serious about our faith at any point in our lives. It is however important to enjoy what you do and lighten up from time to time. That's what we plan to do. This will be a fun record to make and we hope that this comes through, as well as the chance to showcase the abilities that we've been blessed with. More details to come and a specific song list and sequence to follow.

We're looking forward to getting back into the studio and more important, to seeing all of you on the road again this year!

Be well, be blessed and let the games begin,

Michael Sweet

Its a covers album...

WTF? Does it never get back to the bands how much fans hate these covers albums? Shouldn't it be common knowledge by now?

Pete, if you ever record a covers album I'm coming after you! :lol:

... armed only with my love. :wub:

For those of you who may think that we're walking away from our faith
... come to my house so I can stab you in the neck and face. Seriously, you're not going to tell me there are actually freaks out there who'd question their loyalty to my lord and saviour Jesus Christ just because they don't sing about God for one second of the day?

Its a covers album...

WTF? Does it never get back to the bands how much fans hate these covers albums? Shouldn't it be common knowledge by now?

It would be okay if it was a bunch of Lion & Bad Moon Rising covers.

Its a covers album...

It would be okay if it was a bunch of Lion & Bad Moon Rising covers.

No it wouldn't. Lion and Bad Moon Rising already recorded those tracks just fine. I'd much prefer just to hear new material from bands... not stuff that doesn't need to be re-recorded. :)

A covers album? Dang. I was hoping they were gonna go for the rumored thrash/grindcore/polka/big band combination ... :lol:

Its a covers album...

Details of new Stryper record

Current mood: rockin

FEBRUARY 15, 2010 - Hey Everyone, Just as promised, I wanted to outline some more details regarding the new Stryper record. We grew up listening to many different styles of music and there is a list of bands that influenced us throughout our musical education. ............Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kansas and many others, helped to shape our sound and make us who we are today, musically speaking.

We grew up on the streets of LA playing every club in town from Gazzari's to The Whisky to The Troubadour to you name it. We played covers from all the bands mentioned above and we shaped our own sound from listening and performing songs from these classic bands.

We wanted to step outside the box and record a record that shows you, the fans, where we come from - our historical, musical roots so to speak. It's a side to Stryper that no one has really seen or heard before, or at least quite like this. We performed "On Fire" by Van Halen on a few tours and we also performed "Breaking The Law" by Priest on this last tour. The response was far beyond our expectations each time we performed these songs. People seemed genuinely surprised to hear Stryper cover these songs and even more surprised to hear Stryper perform these songs relatively well. This will be an opportunity for Robert, Oz, Tim and myself to loosen up and have some fun.

For those of you who may think that we're walking away from our faith - your wrong. We've never been more serious about our faith at any point in our lives. It is however important to enjoy what you do and lighten up from time to time. That's what we plan to do. This will be a fun record to make and we hope that this comes through, as well as the chance to showcase the abilities that we've been blessed with. More details to come and a specific song list and sequence to follow.

We're looking forward to getting back into the studio and more important, to seeing all of you on the road again this year!

Be well, be blessed and let the games begin,

Michael Sweet

Covers?

It doesnt get worse then that.

Seriously, you're not going to tell me there are actually freaks out there who'd question their loyalty to their lord and saviour Jesus Christ just because they don't sing about God for one second of the day?

Oh yes indeed Geoff. There are those out there who feel that Stryper recording a cover of, say, a Judas Priest song means that they've turned their back on the Lord and are now trapped in the grip of

CHURCH%20LAD.jpg

SAAAAAAAATAN!

Sad but true. Those people are out there... and they breed... :yikes:

A covers album? Dang. I was hoping they were gonna go for the rumored thrash/grindcore/polka/big band combination ... :lol:

Man I was hoping for a Black/death/thrash thing Myself...... :whistle:

Still this covers album may be worth checking out.. It can't be worse than Reborn.. Could it????

Some tracks revealed on Michaels Twitter:

On fire (Van Halen)

Over the mountain (Ozzy)

Breaking the law (Priest)

Set me free (Sweet)

Blackout (Scorpions)

The trooper (Maiden)

.....and of course, some of the hardcore Christians in their fan base are disappointed that they're doing "secular" cover tunes...

Hey Everyone,

It seems that our decision to do a cover record has pleased many people, but has upset a small number of people as well. We've never been a band to go with the flow - we've always set out to do our own thing and to do it according to how we feel led. Some agree, some disagree. It's always been this way. We didn't grow up in the church, we grew up on the streets of LA so our approach to spreading God's word doesn't always line up with how others think it should be done. The bottom line is this - we have not turned our backs on our faith or our beliefs, we just want to loosen up a bit and show our fans how we came to be musically. We we're heavily influenced by a number of bands back in the 70's and early 80's and these bands helped to shape our sound and style. This is the purpose of this record, to show you how we evolved over the years and more important - to have a little fun in the process. The band is looking forward to cutting lose a bit and performing the music we grew up with. I'm sorry to hear that there are a few negative Nancy's who believe that we're turning our back on God and our faith. This couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is that we are stronger and even more serious about our faith then we've ever been before. God knows our hearts and our motives. We don't endorse any of these bands or the message they present or their lifestyles. We just want to play some amazing songs and hopefully break down some walls and open some doors along the way. We will continue to honor God in all that we do and say and we can only hope and pray that the few of you who have expressed your disappointment will open your minds and your hearts to what God can do with this record. Let's not limit God..........

Respectfully and sincerely,

Michael

I gotta admit, Michael has a way with words. This is the nicest way of saying "Yeah, we're doing a bunch of non-Christian songs and if you've got a problem with it you can jump in the creek" that I've ever seen.

The guy actually has a decent sense of humour.

On his twitter page, he initially announce the Vah Halen track as being Hot for teacher, then said "Only joking".

Sure that ruffled a few devouts feathers.

Are these people who are complaining, honestly saying that they have never listened to an artist who isnt a christian band singing about christianity?

I remember how many of them pissed and moaned when they did Against the law, saying they had turned their back on their faith.

I remember how many of them pissed and moaned when they did Against the law, saying they had turned their back on their faith.

Years ago, one of the first arguments I ever got into on the Internet was with a Bible-basher guy who claimed that "AGAINST THE LAW" was proof that Stryper were no longer Christians, and therefore they were agents of Satan. I was like "Um, well, what about the song "Rock the Hell Out of You?" Seems pretty blatant to me." :lol: