FM - Metropolis

Jez

So the only way this could possibly be called a good-sounding album is if you only buy Frontiers (or modern AOR/MHR albums) - by which standards it's pretty okay. By anyone else's standards, in 2010, this is a gutless-sounding poorly-mixed disaster. Not suggesting I'd like it a ton more if it sounded as punchy as "Tough It Out" - but it shouldn't be too hard to better the sound quality of a 20 year-old album. Seriously, why can't people record albums properly these days, when studio techniques ought to be so much better? I listen to this back-to-back with STORY OF THE YEAR or TREAT's new albums & they totally blow it away (sound-wise). Outside of this, I pretty much agree with Geoff's rundown of the tracks above - apart from "Wildside" which I really dislike...

I have to agree with you completely on this. This CD is definitely a casualty of loudness war. As far as audio quality goes, it sounds awful. I spent as much time playing with the EQ as I did listening to the disc - just attempting to minimize the distortion.

It's a real shame too, because this CD has some otherwise really good material on it.

Wow, you guys are absolute freaks! :lol: Would hate to hear your thoughts on a CD that was actually poorly produced. ;)

Geoff, have you a number for a good ear hygenist and i'll get these 2 deaf freaks a years supply of cotton buds. Distortion you say? fuck me, I have had this blaring out of my home speakers and my little in the ear ones aswell and it is crystal fucking clear as a bell! What is wrong with you people :D

So the only way this could possibly be called a good-sounding album is if you only buy Frontiers (or modern AOR/MHR albums) - by which standards it's pretty okay. By anyone else's standards, in 2010, this is a gutless-sounding poorly-mixed disaster. Not suggesting I'd like it a ton more if it sounded as punchy as "Tough It Out" - but it shouldn't be too hard to better the sound quality of a 20 year-old album. Seriously, why can't people record albums properly these days, when studio techniques ought to be so much better? I listen to this back-to-back with STORY OF THE YEAR or TREAT's new albums & they totally blow it away (sound-wise). Outside of this, I pretty much agree with Geoff's rundown of the tracks above - apart from "Wildside" which I really dislike...

I have to agree with you completely on this. This CD is definitely a casualty of loudness war. As far as audio quality goes, it sounds awful. I spent as much time playing with the EQ as I did listening to the disc - just attempting to minimize the distortion.

It's a real shame too, because this CD has some otherwise really good material on it.

Wow, you guys are absolute freaks! :lol: Would hate to hear your thoughts on a CD that was actually poorly produced. ;)

Geoff, have you a number for a good ear hygenist and i'll get these 2 deaf freaks a years supply of cotton buds. Distortion you say? fuck me, I have had this blaring out of my home speakers and my little in the ear ones aswell and it is crystal fucking clear as a bell! What is wrong with you people :D

Whereas this album might be listenable & reasonably decent-sounding if you're not paying a whole lot of attention, stick your headphones on & turn it up loud and then play it back-to-back with any other 2010 new release (in a different genre) and you'll notice it doesn't stand up to any form of scrutiny. The mix is poor, the guitar tone (where you can hear it) is rough, it lacks any sort of punch (that albums like "Tough It Out" had). Whether you think the sound on this is acceptable or not entirely depends on your standards of production in 2010 IMO. If you have low standards and pay little attention when listening I'm sure it's fine, if you play the music loudly & regularly buy modern 2010 releases then frankly you have a right to expect better than this for your hard-earned money.

what an album this has turns out to be ( more on this later ). I kinda didnt wanna have much of an expectation for this album after picking up the wildside e.p. I thought wildside, the song, is quite weak, lacks inspiration to making the band go in a slightly heavier aggressive direction & does sound rather unFM, well not the FM that I love & adore etc.. as stated earlier.

On this album wildside is indeed one of weaker tracks. And thankfully the album contains some great tunes but nothing that matches the sparkle the band has on thier, say best 14 songs. If I am create my own FM greatest hits, none of the songs off Metropolis will make it. That said, there's some really enjoyable tracks like Bring Back Yesterday, Days Gone By, who'll Stop The Rain, Ain't The One, Hollow & Still The Fight Goes On.

I doubt the album would make my top 20 for the year, as enjoyable as it is, this could actually end up in my top 10 dissapointments of the year :(

For now now though, the it'll stay on my cd player for some more attention :)