Firefest 7

Glen

Sounds awesome, that setlist for Jimi Jamison sounds great. Shame you didn't like Grand Illusion as they're a big fave of mine, but those massive OTT harmonies would never have worked well live.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review, Glen ! :drink: Sounds like you had a fantastic time and lots of fun !! :beerbang:

Always a pity that Firefest in Nottingham is so damn expensive for me to get to. :(

Nice overview mate and glad you had a good time. The Jamison setlist looks awesome, couldn't have picked a much stronger one myself, except adding 'Desperate Dreams' and then it would be perfect. I heard that Stage Dolls were bloody superb, aswell as Jamison and Nelson, who most seem to agree were the top 3 bands over the weekend.

Nelson - After Jimi, the second best band overall. Brilliant playing, both can still sing amazingly well. Rolled out classic after classic from the debut. Also they had Mark Slaughter as a special guest band member so with 2 lead guitarists, the extended versions of the songs were awesome. Esp 'Everywhere I Go'.......sped up end, which totally took me by surprise, with massive over the top solos....just sublime.

Mark must not have much to do.. He was also with Nelson at M3 Festival in Columbia, Maryland.

Cool... Mark is now a Nelson groupie. :masturbanana: <~~ I had to look long and hard for that one (No pun intended).

Nelson - After Jimi, the second best band overall. Brilliant playing, both can still sing amazingly well. Rolled out classic after classic from the debut. Also they had Mark Slaughter as a special guest band member so with 2 lead guitarists, the extended versions of the songs were awesome. Esp 'Everywhere I Go'.......sped up end, which totally took me by surprise, with massive over the top solos....just sublime.

Mark must not have much to do.. He was also with Nelson at M3 Festival in Columbia, Maryland.

Cool... Mark is now a Nelson groupie. :masturbanana: <~~ I had to look long and hard for that one (No pun intended).

They've been doing that Scrap Mettle project together the last few years so that's probably how he got involved.

Nice overview mate and glad you had a good time. The Jamison setlist looks awesome, couldn't have picked a much stronger one myself, except adding 'Desperate Dreams' and then it would be perfect. I heard that Stage Dolls were bloody superb, aswell as Jamison and Nelson, who most seem to agree were the top 3 bands over the weekend.

I admit to have never really been a huge SD fan. I caught about the last 2/3 of their set, and yes it was good. Believe me tho when I say that Shotgun Symphony wiped them off the face of the earth - they were superb!

Yeah, re Jimi the two glaring ommissions were 'Desperate Dreams' and 'Broken Promises'....but then it was only an hour, and i must admit that I preferred hearing 'I See You In Everyone' (massive surprise and brilliant!) and 'Caught In The Game' (which was also excellent!). That said, I do think that Jimi should have headlined the Sat night (Lynch Mob just didnt fit!) - that way in the extra 0.5 hour they could have played DD, Broken Promises, Too Hot To Sleep and maybe another cut off Crossroads. Then it would have been perfect. As it was it just 'almost perfect' lol!!!!!

Cheers

I admit to have never really been a huge SD fan. I caught about the last 2/3 of their set, and yes it was good. Believe me tho when I say that Shotgun Symphony wiped them off the face of the earth - they were superb!

Yeah, re Jimi the two glaring ommissions were 'Desperate Dreams' and 'Broken Promises'....but then it was only an hour, and i must admit that I preferred hearing 'I See You In Everyone' (massive surprise and brilliant!) and 'Caught In The Game' (which was also excellent!). That said, I do think that Jimi should have headlined the Sat night (Lynch Mob just didnt fit!) - that way in the extra 0.5 hour they could have played DD, Broken Promises, Too Hot To Sleep and maybe another cut off Crossroads. Then it would have been perfect. As it was it just 'almost perfect' lol!!!!!

Cheers

That doesn't surprise me about Shotgun Symphony, as they were superb when I saw then last time they played a few years back at Penningtons.

I suppose you can't have everything when you only have an hour and all those Survivor tracks to choose from. He did a great job with the setlist whatever. I was laughing over at Melrock.com (as I usually do when all the freaks get going over there) commenting on Mr. Denander overdoing it and not sticking to the original guitar parts on some songs. Some people are never fucking happy!

Partly the reason i wasn't too bothered about missing this year, was for bands like Lynch Mob and a few of the others I have mentioned before. I do like some of their stuff and I did check out the Bangalore Choir disc as was recommended and quite liked it, but as I said, for me personally, I don't think this was the strongest Firefest lineup to be honest.

Firstly, I hate you, Glen. ;)

Secondly, sounds like an awesome, awesome couple of days.

Thirdly, taking a food break druing Stage Dolls?! Are you f*cking insane man??!!!

Fourthly, funnily enough the 2 you loved the most would have been the two I'd have missed if I had the chance for food or toilet. :lol: Never even remotely "got" Shotgun Symphony, or like any of their CDs and Jimi Jamison is well, just Jimi Jamison. ;) I'd give my left nut to see Bangalore Choir, Bonfire, Pretty Maids, Newman, Dare, Stage Dolls, Grand Design and hell, why not, Nelson, though. Glad you had a good time mate, sounds awesome!

Cheers

That doesn't surprise me about Shotgun Symphony, as they were superb when I saw then last time they played a few years back at Penningtons.

I suppose you can't have everything when you only have an hour and all those Survivor tracks to choose from. He did a great job with the setlist whatever. I was laughing over at Melrock.com (as I usually do when all the freaks get going over there) commenting on Mr. Denander overdoing it and not sticking to the original guitar parts on some songs. Some people are never fucking happy!

Partly the reason i wasn't too bothered about missing this year, was for bands like Lynch Mob and a few of the others I have mentioned before. I do like some of their stuff and I did check out the Bangalore Choir disc as was recommended and quite liked it, but as I said, for me personally, I don't think this was the strongest Firefest lineup to be honest.

Ha, you are dead right about all the comments over a Melrock - they started to depress me to be honest and i couldnt read on as it was marring my memories of the weekend! But I did read the thread about Denander! What a load of horse bollocks. The guy was sensational....in just a few months he basically learnt all the songs, had about 2 solos in every song...most of which were inspired....hell even Jimi was standing in amazement, just shaking his head.....probably thinking 'shit man this sounds better than the originals'!! Totally brilliant performace by Jimi and the whole band.

If im honest the only bands which didnt really cut the mustard were Grand Illusion and Grand Design....must be something about the word 'Grand'! Every other band ranged from very good to brilliant, so from that angle Id say it was strongest FF ive attended. For the record, B Choir and in particular Reece were awesome.

Cheers

Thirdly, taking a food break druing Stage Dolls?! Are you f*cking insane man??!!!

Fourthly, funnily enough the 2 you loved the most would have been the two I'd have missed if I had the chance for food or toilet. :lol: Never even remotely "got" Shotgun Symphony, or like any of their CDs and Jimi Jamison is well, just Jimi Jamison. ;) I'd give my left nut to see Bangalore Choir, Bonfire, Pretty Maids, Newman, Dare, Stage Dolls, Grand Design and hell, why not, Nelson, though. Glad you had a good time mate, sounds awesome!

lol, when a mans gotta eat...........! Yeah it was always gonna be tricky deciding when to get food, but to be honest I only missed the first 3/4 songs out of say 12, so I did see most of their set. They were good, but Jimi (see my reply to Jez) and Nelson absolutely blew them off the face of the earth! Nelson in particular - most of the songs were extended or changed with MASSIVE guitar solos....the guy they had with them was awesome (cant recall his name now) and also had Slaughter on lead as well, so the sound was just huge! Cant explain it really, you had to be there....but they did extra instrumental songs which just rocked! In fact I said to my bro if they put some words to that instr it would literally be the best Nelson song ever! Just things like that made it an awesome performance. Their voices are also still there 100% like it was '89 again!

Cheers

Great reviews Glen. Sounds like a top weekend, I really fancy going next year if the bill appeals to my bizarre tastes. If they get Lukather there, maybe Jez will make it too! :D

Hey, any gig would be good at the moment, it's been too long!

lol, when a mans gotta eat...........! Yeah it was always gonna be tricky deciding when to get food, but to be honest I only missed the first 3/4 songs out of say 12, so I did see most of their set. They were good, but Jimi (see my reply to Jez) and Nelson absolutely blew them off the face of the earth! Nelson in particular - most of the songs were extended or changed with MASSIVE guitar solos....the guy they had with them was awesome (cant recall his name now) and also had Slaughter on lead as well, so the sound was just huge! Cant explain it really, you had to be there....but they did extra instrumental songs which just rocked! In fact I said to my bro if they put some words to that instr it would literally be the best Nelson song ever! Just things like that made it an awesome performance. Their voices are also still there 100% like it was '89 again!

Cheers

Sounds awesome mate. I hope there's actually a legitimate chance Nelson might get to Aussie shores in 2011? That'd be nice. Hell, we've had Stryper, Lynch Mob, LA Guns etc... why not Nelson? :)

• 9 months later...