Firefest 7

Glen

I'M pretty sure many people aren't going to FF because Bangalore Choir is on the bill.

Damn right there LV ;)

Well Saturday is definitely not on for me now anyway, as we've have a gig just come in. Sunday is looking OK'ish at the moment.

Me too, for Sunday....

Be good to catch you guys on the Sunday! cheers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked out BANGALORE CHOIR on Myspace - nice stuff. The first song I checked out was "Doin' the Dance" which is total shit of the highest order, and I was getting ready to switch it off, but damn if there aren't some killer tunes on this thing. It's a bit Tyketto-ish with great vocals and some nice melodies & good solo's. Not sure I'd pick this thing up as I really don't buy/play an awful lot of 80's stuff these days, and it sure as hell has a couple of fillers (unlike some comments I've read), but really surprisingly good IMO.

I just checked out BANGALORE CHOIR on Myspace - nice stuff. The first song I checked out was "Doin' the Dance" which is total shit of the highest order, and I was getting ready to switch it off, but damn if there aren't some killer tunes on this thing. It's a bit Tyketto-ish with great vocals and some nice melodies & good solo's. Not sure I'd pick this thing up as I really don't buy/play an awful lot of 80's stuff these days, and it sure as hell has a couple of fillers (unlike some comments I've read), but really surprisingly good IMO.

Gee... what a surprise. ;)

Sorry I missed your post above but dude, wtf? Of course I haven't heard Cattle Decapitation Ass Grinder Growl or whatever the dickheads are called... nor have I heard any other single other deathcore band or whatever that shit is.

But mate, Lynch Mob are melodic hard rock... like the other 10,000 bands you listen to. If you actually heard 'No bed of roses' or 'Through these eyes'... or 'When Darkness calls' (just to start things off) and honestly thought that was shit music, I will eat my own testicles.

You seem to have written off every single hard rock band that came from the US in the late 80's and early 90's for reasons I just can't process. Our tastes in European melodic rock are so similar, yet you hate all the US stuff? Doesn't make sense to me, mate. I just think you hate the thought of it rather than the actual music, as you just found out with Bangalore Choir. A song like 'Just one night', for example, is every melodic hard rock fan's dream come true.

Sorry I missed your post above but dude, wtf? Of course I haven't heard Cattle Decapitation Ass Grinder Growl or whatever the dickheads are called... nor have I heard any other single other deathcore band or whatever that shit is.

But mate, Lynch Mob are melodic hard rock... like the other 10,000 bands you listen to. If you actually heard 'No bed of roses' or 'Through these eyes'... or 'When Darkness calls' (just to start things off) and honestly thought that was shit music, I will eat my own testicles.

You seem to have written off every single hard rock band that came from the US in the late 80's and early 90's for reasons I just can't process. Our tastes in European melodic rock are so similar, yet you hate all the US stuff? Doesn't make sense to me, mate. I just think you hate the thought of it rather than the actual music, as you just found out with Bangalore Choir. A song like 'Just one night', for example, is every melodic hard rock fan's dream come true.

Yep I hate all that generic Hard Rock stuff from the U.S, is not my thing at all. You've seen my comments on Poison - well frankly you could replace the word Poison with Slaughter/Dokken/Ratt etc etc, every time & it would be accurate. I never got into this genre for the Hair Metal bands, I got into it because of AOR/Westcoast and found myself then liking the Melodic Rock bands too (like Danger Danger, Harem Scarem, Fair Warning, etc). But given that everyone else here likes those bands then I generally keep quiet - apart from any Poison bashing as everyone joins in then! Dokken weren't "Melodic Rock" IMO, and nor will Lynch Mob be. Even if they were I wouldn't be all that bothered these days as those bands are gone & just aren't relevant anymore.

Yep I hate all that generic Hard Rock stuff from the U.S, is not my thing at all. You've seen my comments on Poison - well frankly you could replace the word Poison with Slaughter/Dokken/Ratt etc etc, every time & it would be accurate. I never got into this genre for the Hair Metal bands, I got into it because of AOR/Westcoast and found myself then liking the Melodic Rock bands too (like Danger Danger, Harem Scarem, Fair Warning, etc). But given that everyone else here likes those bands then I generally keep quiet - apart from any Poison bashing as everyone joins in then! Dokken weren't "Melodic Rock" IMO, and nor will Lynch Mob be. Even if they were I wouldn't be all that bothered these days as those bands are gone & just aren't relevant anymore.

99% of the stuff I listen to isnt 'relevant'...whatever that means (?)......doesnt stop me enjoying it immensely tho.

HS arent relevant...theyve split up and their best stuff is from 15 yrs + ago?

99% of the stuff I listen to isnt 'relevant'...whatever that means (?)......doesnt stop me enjoying it immensely tho.

HS arent relevant...theyve split up and their best stuff is from 15 yrs + ago?

Yeah, and most of that "AOR/Westcoast" isn't 'relevant' anymore either. But I'm sure you still enjoy it. I don't know mate, just seems to me there's a whole bundle of undiscovered treasures awaiting your discovery if you actually give it a go. If Dokken weren't melodic (hard) rock not sure what the were. How it's even possible for a melodic rock fan to not enjoy 'Tooth and nail', 'Under lock and key' and 'Back for the attack' is beyond me. :)

If you like Danger Danger, 80's Bon Jovi and didn't mind this Bangalore Choir album I'm sure there'd be hundreds of CDs out there from the same era that would excite you.

• 1 month later...

See Firefest have announced the Friday night at the rig - just 400 tickets which has virtually sold out before even the bands were announced (weird??).

Anyway its HEAT, Crazy Lixx and Reckless Love.

Nice line up (would love to see Crazy Lixx), but we've already got our tickets for the Sat/Sun and there's no way I can afford this too - what with hotels etc. Anyone who hasnt seen HEAT (ive seen them twice already) should get along to this as they are fantastic live.

• 3 months later...

Firstly, I apologise for the news not being made available on our web site or facebook first. However the situation is as stated.

WE made Saraya an offer, they accepted. Sandi appeared on ARFM with Tony Bruno at the show launch in Feb 2010.

I really do not want to wash dirty clothes in public here, but the other members of the band were ready , willing and able to play the show. Tony Bruno is Enrique Eglasias musical director. Tony was scheduled to play Paris on the night of the FF performance. He booked a substitute for himself to be sure he could get the days off required to play the show, at some considerable expense and believe me a HUGE Amount of hassle from the Enrique people. No one wants to lose their main guitarist and md in the middle of a tour do they?

It got to the point with Sandi where she hummed and hawed ....I dont know, I will , I wont....itÅ› all too much for me to deal with....deal with my agent....Who? what agent....you dont have one.....oh you just appointed one today...right...I can see where this is going.

WE made Saraya an offer, they accepted. Sandi couldnt make up her mind .

She wanted the husband and kids to come with her to see the show, we agreed to fly the 6 extra people over to the show , put them up for the weekend extra to our initial agreement....she refused, her agent wanted a 5 figure sum on top of this for it " to make sense for Sandi to do this"

Firefest has a great reputation with the bands we have worked with, but there comes a point where you feel you are being screwed and you have to say NO.Tony and Chuck did everything they could to make it happen, and in the end they feel as screwed as we do...in fact they feel worse about it as Sandi was their band mate and even they could not persuade her to stick to her original decision to do the show.......even when the extras were offered .

We have a long paper trail of e mails and believe you me you would not believe some of it....you really couldnt make this up!!

We are extremely disappointed about this. What we would like to express is Shotgun were extremely accomodating in agreeing to play the show. What people also must realise is every band is NOT available to play at the drop of a hat.....get Giant, Romeos, whoever.....for non full time bands it simply does not work like that. A great deal of time and planning can be required for some bands to be able to play.

Let me tell you that we made an offer to Giant , as Andrew did. We made them a VERY VERY lucrative offer to play . They thought about it for 2 weeks and then said no............well what can we do about it.....nothing really....unless we want to play them some completely silly fee which given economics wouldnt be feasable.

We are as disappointed as you are, in fact more so as we have only lost two bands previously through illness ...never through what I can only call sheer greed.

Someone mentioned contracts....lawyers all that.....sure we could do that if we could afford it ......there is no point in pursuing that route, itÅ› time consuming and expensive, besides our agreement was with the band , and essentially we only had an issue with one band member.......it would get messy and neither FF nor the remaining Saraya guys need or deserve the hassle of it

Cheers

KIeran-

-----------------------------

Not the greatest news, but ive seen them before so not that fussed to be honest.

Wow, I think it just got better..........debut album in its entirity!!! :-))

-------------------

Firefest are delighted to announce that we have finally tempted long time melodic rock favourites Shotgun Symphony to come out of retirement to play Firefest 2010. Following the withdrawal of Saraya, the search began to find not only a suitable replacement but an act that had not actively played for some time. Shotgun Symphony fitted the bill, now all we needed to do was persuade them. Easy, right? Actually NO, as Shotgun had not played live since their last performance at The Gods in Penningtons in 2002, which was for many present at that show the performance of the entire weekend. Sadly the DVD recording of this was never released, which is a major travesty. Getting Charlie, Mike, Ed and Tracy on board was something of a task as the band hadn't performed in years, but after a few days of consideration Charlie called us back to say that the band would do it but ... it would be a ONE OFF PERFORMANCE OF THE ENTIRE DEBUT ALBUM that has never been done before. The band simply felt that if they were to reunite for anything there had to be a reason behind it. Charlie Calv explains: "We have been asked on numerous occasion over the years could we perform the album in its entirety. We always politely refused, not because we didn't want to but simply we were always working on something new that we felt important to include in the live set. Even our debut performance at the Gods in 1993 and the Tyketto tour that followed, we never once played the album in its entirety. We felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to finally let people hear something that we have been asked to do on countless occasions in the past. Hey, I know about FIrefest, each band has to do something special right?"

The band will also add a few tracks to this from albums such as 'Line of Fire', 'Forget the Rain' and 'Sea of Desire', but it must be the lure of hearing the debut album in its entirety that makes this a very special occasion. Songs such as 'Highway to Tomorrow', 'Lost Child', 'Turn Around', 'What Happens to Love' and 'Way Back Home' are rightfully regarded as classics of the genre, and to this very day the Shotgun Symphony debut released in 1993 through Now and Then records retains it's place as possibly one of the greatest debut albums of the melodic rock genre. When one door closes, another one opens, and we're delighted that the five guys from New Jersey chose to walk through it - and will be delivering what undoubtedly will be one of the highlights of the weekend.

-------------------

Firefest are delighted to announce that we have finally tempted long time melodic rock favourites Shotgun Symphony to come out of retirement to play Firefest 2010. Following the withdrawal of Saraya, the search began to find not only a suitable replacement but an act that had not actively played for some time. Shotgun Symphony fitted the bill, now all we needed to do was persuade them. Easy, right? Actually NO, as Shotgun had not played live since their last performance at The Gods in Penningtons in 2002, which was for many present at that show the performance of the entire weekend. Sadly the DVD recording of this was never released, which is a major travesty. Getting Charlie, Mike, Ed and Tracy on board was something of a task as the band hadn't performed in years, but after a few days of consideration Charlie called us back to say that the band would do it but ... it would be a ONE OFF PERFORMANCE OF THE ENTIRE DEBUT ALBUM that has never been done before. The band simply felt that if they were to reunite for anything there had to be a reason behind it. Charlie Calv explains: "We have been asked on numerous occasion over the years could we perform the album in its entirety. We always politely refused, not because we didn't want to but simply we were always working on something new that we felt important to include in the live set. Even our debut performance at the Gods in 1993 and the Tyketto tour that followed, we never once played the album in its entirety. We felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to finally let people hear something that we have been asked to do on countless occasions in the past. Hey, I know about FIrefest, each band has to do something special right?"

The band will also add a few tracks to this from albums such as 'Line of Fire', 'Forget the Rain' and 'Sea of Desire', but it must be the lure of hearing the debut album in its entirety that makes this a very special occasion. Songs such as 'Highway to Tomorrow', 'Lost Child', 'Turn Around', 'What Happens to Love' and 'Way Back Home' are rightfully regarded as classics of the genre, and to this very day the Shotgun Symphony debut released in 1993 through Now and Then records retains it's place as possibly one of the greatest debut albums of the melodic rock genre. When one door closes, another one opens, and we're delighted that the five guys from New Jersey chose to walk through it - and will be delivering what undoubtedly will be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Shotgun Symphony were great at the 02' Penningtons gig, one of the highlights of the day for me. Good band.

-------------------

Shotgun Symphony were great at the 02' Penningtons gig, one of the highlights of the day for me. Good band.

Yeah I must admit, i'd much rather see them than Saraya.

Esp if they play the whole of the debut which is their best album :-)

-------------------

what a terrible thing sandi saraya has done to her fans, her band & her self. actually thought this posting on other site was just a little joke.

• 1 month later...

So, guys, what's the summary ? Who is going to Firefest this year and on what days ??

I am considering ................

At the moment probably no, as we have a gig pending and we may also be moving house that weekend aswell. Would have loved to have gone, but unfortunatley other things take priority i'm afraid.

Would like to go for Friday night and Saturday, especially now Saraya have been replaced, but time and money forbid it.

Maybe next year, with White Sister and a reformed White Lion on the bill. I can dream.

I will make it to Firefest at some point....guess it's on my bucket list!

Ditto. Maybe we can share petrol cost! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys, how was Firefest this year ! Let us know, please !! :guitbannana:

I'll do a quick (very quick!) summation........

Couldnt make the Friday but good news for HEAT fans. I hear that Eric fitted in very well, hit all the notes and had a great stage presence which belied his young years. Roll on album no 3 hopefully next year!

Saturday

Grand Illusion- Not my cup of tea at all Im afraid. Dont own any of their stuff, and nothing I heard has convinced me otherwise. Singer loved himself but was very screechy.

Beggars & Thieves - Very good and intense (esp the singer!) performance. I only own the debut (from which they played amongst others 'No More Broken Dreams', 'Kill Me', 'Beggars & Thieves' - excellent!) but i really liked all the songs they played.

Bangalore Choir - Great stuff, David Reece was excellent....massive vocals. Played most if not all of 'On Target' and threw in 'Powertrippin' and 'Martyr' from the newie. 'Angel In Black' was immense.

Shotgun Symphony - Utterly sensational. Played the entire debut album and ended with 'Believe In Me' which was one of THE songs of the weekend. How these guys werent huge is beyond me. Amazing and definitely the band of the day for me.

Bonfire - Great (as always). Played the whole 'Fireworks' album. Most songs came across really well, although personally I would have preferred a couple from Point Blank as I still think it is the better album. Solid performance tho.

Dare - Felt slightly cheated that they didnt play as billed - ie the whole of 'Out Of The Silence', but the whole day was running behind due to a late start as there was a problem with the mixing desk, so I'll forgive them. Sensational start with the opening trio of 'Abandon', 'Into The Fire' and 'Runaway'...leaving out 'Heartbreaker' was disappointing. Great sound tho and DW was in fine voice.

Lynch Mob - Ouch! Never really did get Lynch Mob?? They just havent got the songs IMO. Watched 3 songs (including 'River Of Love' which is by far their best song IMO) and left. Obviously a great bunch of musicians but just weak songs IMO. & Lynch as good as he is, is so far up his own arse its just not real. I'd say that over the day there were at least 3 or 4 other guitarists who completely outshone him (Denander in particular) and actually managed to smile. OK rant over. But yet another FF headline flop IMO

Sunday

Grand Design - I love that debut, but live they werent all that great. Singer was quite strained. A few sound problems as well. 'Love Sensation' was v good tho.

Newman - I really enjoyed Newman. Played a great set with a few off the new album and some old classics. Great energy and a real feel good factor.

Stage Dolls - Food time, but caught the end of their set and sounded good. Big crowd reaction for them. Singer's voice has never been the strongest, but they have a few good tunes from the debut which I enjoyed.

Strangeways - Waited a long time to see this and it didnt disappoint! Although it wasnt without fault!! First of all they ended on 'Bushfire' which was an appalling decision IMO, esp as they didnt play 'Goodnight LA' !! Shock/horror. What was good tho was 'Perfect World' and esp 'Time' from the new album sounded AMAZING live....just goes to show that that album could have been so much more if it had a better production. Brock was awesome vocally.

Jimi Jamison - Wow, wow and wow!!!!!!!!! Utterly sensational set and performance from what can only be described as a legend. Vocally perfect. Really couldnt find fault. Check out what he played.......in no order

Singer not the song

Didnt know it was love

burning heart

crossroads moment

I see you in everyone

High on you

rebel son

Eye of the tiger

baywatch theme (totally brilliant rocked up version!)

Caught In The Game

I Cant Hold Back

Is This Love.

Totally awesome. A wet dream of an hour. Add to that the fact that the backing band of HEAT + Denander was totally inspired. IMO he should have headlined the Saturday night and played for 1.5 hours. He was moved one notch down the bill as Pretty Maids flight was delayed.

Pretty Maids - were always going to have a tough time following Jimi, but they played a great tight set including 3 from the new album (Pandemonium, little drops and INVU). I always prefer their more melodic side so was thrilled that they rolled out 'Walk Away', 'Love Games', 'Savage Heart', 'Rodeo'.......all great!

Nelson - After Jimi, the second best band overall. Brilliant playing, both can still sing amazingly well. Rolled out classic after classic from the debut. Also they had Mark Slaughter as a special guest band member so with 2 lead guitarists, the extended versions of the songs were awesome. Esp 'Everywhere I Go'.......sped up end, which totally took me by surprise, with massive over the top solos....just sublime.

So there you have it. Brilliant 2 days overall. A massive thankyou to the Firefest crew, and roll on 2011 for FF8. Cant wait!

Cheers, Glen