Firefest 7

Glen

Dare (anniversary performance of Out Of The Silence only! :bowdown: )

Bonfire (exclusively playing the whole of Fireworks :bowdown: )

Saraya (original line-up........ex keys of course) :bowdown:

Bangalor Choir (playing On Target only!)

Pretty Maids

Strangeways :bowdown:

Stage Dolls

Steve Newman

Grand Design

F*ck I hate you guys. :lol:

James, or anyone in that part of the world for that matter, if you don't go to see this I will make it my life's ambition to come over there and beat you with my fists. ;)

Oh, and BTW, Valentine without Hugo? WTF? When did this all happen? You guys are all talking about it like it's old news... I've never heard anything about it. I want to say it shouldn't happen, but hey, the last album sucked so maybe it's a good thing?

be scared guys, geoff is pushing 6 ft 5, a giant... someone's who's presence is very intimidating...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty Maids

Stage Dolls

Steve Newman

Grand Design

James, or anyone in that part of the world for that matter, if you don't go to see this I will make it my life's ambition to come over there and beat you with my fists. ;)

Oh, and BTW, Valentine without Hugo? WTF? When did this all happen? You guys are all talking about it like it's old news... I've never heard anything about it. I want to say it shouldn't happen, but hey, the last album sucked so maybe it's a good thing?

Geoff I think that Valentine news is kind of old news or at least several months back I think.

Bar Strangeways, Stage Dolls, Newman and Saraya, a bit disapointing for me. Have seen Bonfire three times, Dare I lost interest in a while back and the others on Saturday I am not bothered about at all to be honest. May go on the Sunday, as that is the much better day.

Backed - only Strangeways/Dare/Grand Illusion took my interest on Saturday, and I've seen Dare before anyway & they're hardly a great live band. As for stuff like Lynch Mob, Bangalore Choir (who?), Saraya, Newman - no chance. The Sunday is much more interesting....

Bar Strangeways, Stage Dolls, Newman and Saraya, a bit disapointing for me. Have seen Bonfire three times, Dare I lost interest in a while back and the others on Saturday I am not bothered about at all to be honest. May go on the Sunday, as that is the much better day.

Backed - only Strangeways/Dare/Grand Illusion took my interest on Saturday, and I've seen Dare before anyway & they're hardly a great live band. As for stuff like Lynch Mob, Bangalore Choir (who?), Saraya, Newman - no chance. The Sunday is much more interesting....

Wow, sometimes I wonder if you 2 guys like the same genre of music as me?!

Dissing Saraya.....probably 2 of the best female fronted albums of all time......

Dissing Dare as a crap live act, when they are promising to play 'Out Of The Silence' in its entirity....one of the best AOR albums of all time......

Never having heard of Bangalore Choir???? WTF?

I mean.........im gobsmacked at some of those statements.

Let me go to the Saturday gig and i'll report back about awesome it was :whistle:

& Geoff, this reply is for you alone.........

No one and I repeat NO ONE appreciates FF more than me.

The reason why Sunday is probably going to be a no show for me is this. Every previous FF has been at least one week prior to this and is usually the weekend before the kids half term holidays. Usually it doesnt matter as the event is a Fri/Sat and we are back by Sunday. But this year it is Sat/Sun and a week later, so the Monday is a kids school day/nursery. This might sound trivial to someone with no kids, but when the other half works and kids have to be at school/nursery by a certain time it makes it almost impossible to be travelling home from Nottingham on that Monday morning.

Cheers.

Pretty Maids

Stage Dolls

Steve Newman

Grand Design

LOL

There is no way I can get to both days and it will be pretty difficult going to one, but I may do so. The bands I'd like to see are Bonfire, Strangeways, Stage Dolls and Pretty Maids, so I might end up having to go for the second day and leaving before Nelson come on! Plus Saraya do nothing for me at all, there was a killer ballad, 'Timeless Love' on the Shocker soundtrack, but nothing else I've heard by them has impressed me so far.

On second thoughts, having said I prefer Sunday, I don't like Jimi Jamison either, so the good value for money is disappearing for me and I may just go to a couple of 'normal' gigs instead...

Have to say I'm with Jez really, the line up is a bit disappointing for me. Just a case of 'can't please all of the people all of the time' really.

Dissing Saraya.....probably 2 of the best female fronted albums of all time......

Dissing Dare as a crap live act, when they are promising to play 'Out Of The Silence' in its entirity....one of the best AOR albums of all time......

Let me go to the Saturday gig and i'll report back about awesome it was :whistle:

Sorry mate, I had the first SARAYA album at one time but just never played it & there's no way I'd see them live. ROMEOS DAUGHTER were a better band IMO. DARE aren't a terrible live act, but they come nowhere close to replicating their studio sound and Wharton is a pretty weak live singer as he tries to play keyboards too. I LOVE "Out of the Silence" but I've seen them play most of it (badly) already. If they had a killer new album (which they don't) and were playing that plus their earlier stuff then it might be different. BONFIRE are another band who I've seen and probably wouldn't be excited about seeing again.

Seeing NELSON/JIMI JAMISON/STRANGEWAYS on the Sunday is much more appealing to me....

Sorry mate, I had the first SARAYA album at one time but just never played it & there's no way I'd see them live. ROMEOS DAUGHTER were a better band IMO. DARE aren't a terrible live act, but they come nowhere close to replicating their studio sound and Wharton is a pretty weak live singer as he tries to play keyboards too. I LOVE "Out of the Silence" but I've seen them play most of it (badly) already. If they had a killer new album (which they don't) and were playing that plus their earlier stuff then it might be different. BONFIRE are another band who I've seen and probably wouldn't be excited about seeing again.

Seeing NELSON/JIMI JAMISON/STRANGEWAYS on the Sunday is much more appealing to me....

Wow, now Im even more surprised! The 2 Saraya albums absolutely kill anything Romeo's Daughter have done stone dead.

I saw them live, admittedly about 20 years ago and they were totally killer. So if Romeo's Daughter can still sound good live 20 years on I have absolutely no hesitance in thinking that Saraya will be awesome too.

By the WTBS > Debut any day of the week........although both are excellent.

I must admit, I do sympathise with Geoff.........there are many many people all over the world who would kill to see line ups like this

You can't like everything mate and me and TIM have covered 6 or 7 bands we'd like to see, except they aren't the ones you are so excited about. In hindsight, i'll also add Grand Illusion as their discs are all solid and Jimi Jamison will probably be worth a look.

You gotta admit, Bangalore Choir weren't ever a top band (or even medium one) and wouldn't have been on many people's lists of bands to see pre lineup announcement,or afterwards either - Not exactly a great addition to the bill if you ask me.

I am sure Dare will be better playing 'Out Of Silence', but they were a boring snorefest when I saw them last (Check out the Dare DVD mate for further proof and you can't argue with that statement i'm afraid) and as TIM mentions, they weren't exactly great live back in the 90's either, so I speak from experience. I said never again and so I stand by that.

At the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference on who you'd like to see or not. This year, for me, the line up isn't as strong as in some previous years, so my £'s and time (which at weekends especially is tight with the band) will go to the bands I do want to see.

You can't like everything mate and me and TIM have covered 6 or 7 bands we'd like to see, except they aren't the ones you are so excited about. In hindsight, i'll also add Grand Illusion as their discs are all solid and Jimi Jamison will probably be worth a look.

You gotta admit, Bangalore Choir weren't ever a top band (or even medium one) and wouldn't have been on many people's lists of bands to see pre lineup announcement,or afterwards either - Not exactly a great addition to the bill if you ask me.

I am sure Dare will be better playing 'Out Of Silence', but they were a boring snorefest when I saw them last (Check out the Dare DVD mate for further proof and you can't argue with that statement i'm afraid) and as TIM mentions, they weren't exactly great live back in the 90's either, so I speak from experience. I said never again and so I stand by that.

At the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference on who you'd like to see or not. This year, for me, the line up isn't as strong as in some previous years, so my £'s and time (which at weekends especially is tight with the band) will go to the bands I do want to see.

Well the main reason Bangalore Choir are on the bill is that they have re-formed and are recording a new album which will be released this year. Yeah for sure they were never a top band, but who were in our genre LOL! It remains that 'On Target' is a great album with at least 5 or 6 killer songs and im very much looking forward to seeing a band which I didnt get a chance of seeing back in the day.

I also saw Dare - on the 'Out Of Silence' tour and remember it as being far from crap. Admittedly most of their output in the last few years has been borderline boring celtic music and totally forgettable.........but im not going to pass on a chance of seeing that classic album belted out again.

Dont get me wrong I'd love to go Sunday as well, and im sure the top 4 bands will all be excellent.....for me tho Stage Dolls and Newman are not really my cup of tea.

Bit of a shame we probably wont get to meet up this year at Firefest but perhaps we can sort something else out eh??

Cheers

Bit of a shame we probably wont get to meet up this year at Firefest but perhaps we can sort something else out eh??

Would have been cool to catch up with some fellow HH members over some beer and tunes, but I'm going off the Firefest lineup more and more. If there had been just one more band I really want to see I'd be more tempted, but £45 plus fuel and hire car costs, as well as getting home at around 4 in the morning after a long drive doesn't appeal, especially as it will be to see 2 or 3 bands tops. I know the line up is a wet dream for some, but for me it is quite bland, I think I'll be leaving this after all and hoping to catch someone like White Sister, Pretty Maids, Cinderella, Ratt, Vicious Rumors, Warrior Soul, etc, i.e. a band I really want to make the effort for, in London some time.

:whistle:

You gotta admit, Bangalore Choir weren't ever a top band (or even medium one)

That may be true, but the fact is that one album they did record absolutely destroys a HEAP of CDs that other bands on the bill have released, imo.

It may not have been on many people's pre-FF wish-list, but I'm certain that for a lot of hard rock fans - when they saw that they'd be playing 'On Target' in full - their pants were destroyed with loads of jism that spurted out in unexpected glee.

That may be true, but the fact is that one album they did record absolutely destroys a HEAP of CDs that other bands on the bill have released, imo.

It may not have been on many people's pre-FF wish-list, but I'm certain that for a lot of hard rock fans - when they saw that they'd be playing 'On Target' in full - their pants were destroyed with loads of jism that spurted out in unexpected glee.

About 15.5 people as a very realistic guess :whistle:

You accidentally put a "." in your number and forgot the 0's? That's cool. Allow me to fix it up to what you were meant to say:

About 155,000 people as a very realistic guess :whistle:

What me and 14.5 others?? Come on man, that is a pretty awesome album to these ears.

Angel In Black on its own destroys some albums!

In all seriousness I suspect you're not far-off with your guess. Maybe 20 maximum? I've never heard of them & am not even remotely interested anyway.

Personally I'd love to have seen bands like BROTHER FIRETRIBE/TREAT/WIG WAM/W.E.T/DELAIN/HOUSE OF LORDS & even H.E.A.T on the bill as all have relevant/recent material to promote. Mix that up with STRANGEWAYS/DARE playing their early material and you'd have a killer (and relevant) line-up IMO. Especially if you put them on over the course of one day, I think you'd see people flock to it, as spreading over two days is not going to work....

In all seriousness I suspect you're not far-off with your guess. Maybe 20 maximum? I've never heard of them & am not even remotely interested anyway.

Personally I'd love to have seen bands like BROTHER FIRETRIBE/TREAT/WIG WAM/W.E.T/DELAIN/HOUSE OF LORDS & even H.E.A.T on the bill as all have relevant/recent material to promote. Mix that up with STRANGEWAYS/DARE playing their early material and you'd have a killer (and relevant) line-up IMO. Especially if you put them on over the course of one day, I think you'd see people flock to it, as spreading over two days is not going to work....

Well mate, its your loss as I was listening to it this morning and its still a killer album to these ears. & anyway as Ive said already in this thread they are relevant as they have re-formed....expect a new album THIS YEAR!

Yeah, I'd have loved WET and Brother Firetribe to play, but that was never going happen as JSS and the guy from Nightwish have other commitments.

Treat, HEAT and Wig Wam have already played in the last 2-3 years and HOL were quite frankly boring when I saw them at FF and we left early.

Im still quite happy with the line up as it stands.

Cheers

Well mate, its your loss as I was listening to it this morning and its still a killer album to these ears. & anyway as Ive said already in this thread they are relevant as they have re-formed....expect a new album THIS YEAR!

Yeah, I'd have loved WET and Brother Firetribe to play, but that was never going happen as JSS and the guy from Nightwish have other commitments.

Treat, HEAT and Wig Wam have already played in the last 2-3 years and HOL were quite frankly boring when I saw them at FF and we left early.

Cheers

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it mate. Let these candy asses enjoy their fairy floss outside the toilet block while you and your fellow hard rock fans get your faces blown off by classic hard rock anthems like 'Angel in Black', 'Loaded Gun', 'If the Good Die Young (We'll Live Forever)', 'All or Nothin', 'Slippin' Away', 'She Can't Stop' and the splendid 'Just One Night'. Any clown who can't enjoy tunes like that shouldn't be at a music festival anyway. A cup of tea in front of the TV would surely suit them better. ;):lol:

Cheers

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it mate. Let these candy asses enjoy their fairy floss outside the toilet block while you and your fellow hard rock fans get your faces blown off by classic hard rock anthems like 'Angel in Black', 'Loaded Gun', 'If the Good Die Young (We'll Live Forever)', 'All or Nothin', 'Slippin' Away', 'She Can't Stop' and the splendid 'Just One Night'. Any clown who can't enjoy tunes like that shouldn't be at a music festival anyway. A cup of tea in front of the TV would surely suit them better. ;):lol:

Ha ha backed. 'All Or Nothin' is immense......I almost passed out on the train this morning after hearing that track again for the first time in at least 5 years. Awesome stuff!

Cheers

Ha ha backed. 'All Or Nothin' is immense......I almost passed out on the train this morning after hearing that track again for the first time in at least 5 years. Awesome stuff!

Yeah, no doubt about it. You can reference all the albums from the 80's that sold more copies, or had more than 15.5 fans, or were heard of by more people... but the fact remains at the end of the day that the Bangalore Choir CD is a monster album. 'Freight Train Rollin' is a blatant filler and 'Doin' the dance' is far from great, but the other 8 songs help to create one of the most explosive and well executed hard rock discs I've heard from the era. Admittedly it's probably highlighted by the fact that it was a completely blind purchase when I got it and I had NO idea who the band was, and had ZERO expectations. And not only did it impress, it deadset tore limbs from my body as I heard it. Really one of my favourite CDs.

Cheers

Each to their own fellas. I really fancy a rock festival, but I think it will be next year for me, 8 hours of travelling and £100+ for bands that aren't really my bag is just too much.

Cheers

Each to their own fellas. I really fancy a rock festival, but I think it will be next year for me, 8 hours of travelling and £100+ for bands that aren't really my bag is just too much.

8 hours? Wow, that's not just around the corner. :lol: Okay, you're excused... this time. ;)

8 hours? Wow, that's not just around the corner. :lol: Okay, you're excused... this time. ;)

That's 8 hours' round trip. As long as there aren't any major problems on the roads. So home at around 4am.

Last time I did that for a gig I was very ill on a Croatian motorway on the way back.

That's 8 hours' round trip. As long as there aren't any major problems on the roads. So home at around 4am.

Last time I did that for a gig I was very ill on a Croatian motorway on the way back.

Oh, okay. That's another story then. You're not excused! :lol: