STORY OF THE YEAR "The Constant"

TIM (2)

My view on this one is below (leaving off the bonus tracks which aren't on the standard album). This is a great disc from beginning to end with no hint of a filler. The only reason I'd rate it behind "The Black Swan" is that it just lacks one big stand-out track as I'd probably rate "I'm Alive", "The Ghost of You & I", and "Time Goes On" all as joint 'best-song' winners. That said, frankly this is effortlessly the best Modern Rock disc since "The Black Swan" and has re-invigorated my interest in the genre - which was waving after a whole batch of average releases in 2009. Great band & killer disc....

1. The Children Sing - Strong opener. Strange to hear a kids choir but it works well.

2. The Ghost Of You And I - Great anthemic tune, very typical SOTY track and a killer

3. I'm Alive - Lush melodic tune with a great chorus. A big highlight for me & awesome songwriting

4. To The Burial - Heavy/punky song that slows down for the chanty-chorus. Great stuff & a bit different for them

5. The Dream Is Over - Up-tempo tune with another great chorus

6. Remember A Time - Slower song with an unusual melody, but works brilliantly.

7. Holding On To You - Good ballad with nice piano/keys and strong verses. Not a fave as the chorus isn't killer, but overall it's nice

8. Won Threw Ate - Heaviest song & a storming change of pace. Love it.

9. Ten Years Down - Perfect timing for another strong anthemic tune with a monster chorus. Huge.

10. Time Goes On - Even better anthemic Modern Rock. Truly great chorus & hook, one of their best ever songs

11. Eye For An Eye - Ultra aggressive way to end. Punky, heavy, bruising tune but still retains the melody/chorus

Pretty much agree with this comments, esp 'Remember A Time' which has really grown on me.

My only slight difference would be that I love 'Holding On To You' and i think its got a killer chorus. One of the albums best tracks IMO.

Cheers

Backed. 'Holding onto you' has about the album's biggest hook / strongest chorus. I swear Tim just types stuff to be difficult sometimes. :lol:

Anyway, we can all agree on one thing and that is that's a killer disc.

I must just add that 'Won Threw Ate' is one of the most monstrous songs ive heard in a long long while. Absolutely killer combination of power and melody.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backed. 'Holding onto you' has about the album's biggest hook / strongest chorus. I swear Tim just types stuff to be difficult sometimes. :lol:

Anyway, we can all agree on one thing and that is that's a killer disc.

I thought "I'm Alive" had the biggest hook. I just really liked the verses of "Holding On To You" and then was a little disappointed when the chorus kicked-in (plus it's a bit short). "One Threw Ate" is a storming tune though, their best ever heavy tune IMHO.

Anyone heard those bonus tracks yet? Both excellent IMO and makes a great end to the album.

Cheers

Oh, my christ! I want to be clear that this is in no way meant as disrepect to the songs on the album... moreso a compliment to the band who seem to be unable to write a dud song, but, I LOVE the two bonus tracks more than most of the CD! 'Your unsung friend' is excellent, with some brilliant closing harmonies. Excellent track. But how good is 'Tonight we fall'? LOVE that one. Killer guitar and a real (though much more polished and mature) throwback to the debut. I adore this track. In total honesty, these two songs would easily be in my top 5 songs from the album if added to the list.

Anyone heard those bonus tracks yet? Both excellent IMO and makes a great end to the album.

Cheers

Oh, my christ! I want to be clear that this is in no way meant as disrepect to the songs on the album... moreso a compliment to the band who seem to be unable to write a dud song, but, I LOVE the two bonus tracks more than most of the CD! 'Your unsung friend' is excellent, with some brilliant closing harmonies. Excellent track. But how good is 'Tonight we fall'? LOVE that one. Killer guitar and a real (though much more polished and mature) throwback to the debut. I adore this track. In total honesty, these two songs would easily be in my top 5 songs from the album if added to the list.

Are you doing this to wind me up? Are these only on the 'digital' version?

Cheers

:lol: No, I swear I'm not.

Or am I?

Nah, seriously mate, great tunes. I thought Glen said above that they would be on a hard copy release of the CD... probably one of those 'Deluxe' versions that every band seems to release these days. I have it in my head that I'm holding out for a hard copy with these 2 songs on it. But then again, I tried to get some bonus tracks on my 'Black swan' and in the end said f*ckit it's too hard, bought the normal version and kept the bonus tracks on my Ipod.

Cheers

Or am I?

Nah, seriously mate, great tunes. I thought Glen said above that they would be on a hard copy release of the CD... probably one of those 'Deluxe' versions that every band seems to release these days. I have it in my head that I'm holding out for a hard copy with these 2 songs on it. But then again, I tried to get some bonus tracks on my 'Black swan' and in the end said f*ckit it's too hard, bought the normal version and kept the bonus tracks on my Ipod.

I can't find a Deluxe version of the new album anywhere. Plus I don't know what this "IPod" thing you young-people talk about is so that wont really be an option for me....

Cheers

Or am I?

I can't find a Deluxe version of the new album anywhere. Plus I don't know what this "IPod" thing you young-people talk about is so that wont really be an option for me....

Ooops, my bad. Looks like the deluxe version is only digital.

I actually have the original album as I got an HMV voucher for my birthday and that was the only thing worth bying in the whole store! lol.

I got the 2 bonus tracks off itunes on release date..........

but Tim if youre too old for ipods, then here are the digital tracks on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036Z6...ref=dm_att_alb1

Enjoy.

Cheers

Or am I?

I actually have the original album as I got an HMV voucher for my birthday and that was the only thing worth bying in the whole store! lol.

but Tim if youre too old for ipods, then here are the digital tracks on Amazon -

Enjoy.

So if I click on the button do they send me the CD with just those songs on it? Or does it just play there & then? And how can you call something a "deluxe version" when you don't even get a CD or a CD cover or packaging? WTF is "deluxe" about that? Am I the only person who thinks the world's gone mad???

Cheers

Or am I?

Enjoy.

So if I click on the button do they send me the CD with just those songs on it? Or does it just play there & then? And how can you call something a "deluxe version" when you don't even get a CD or a CD cover or packaging? WTF is "deluxe" about that? Am I the only person who thinks the world's gone mad???

Dont ask me, I only listen to the music.

Just download it (those 2 tracks only of course!) and stop moaning........youre starting to sound like Jeremy Clarkson. :lol:

Great release. No real weakness, not really liking the idea of putting 2 softer tracks like 6 and 7 back to back. My biggest complaint would be the weak cover art and the tiny, tiny print used for the lyrics on the inside of the insert....I know I'm pushing it.

With the new SOTY and the Taking Dawn (which doesn't sound, yet looks modern), 2010 is already a better year for modern/newish bands than 2009.

Great release. No real weakness, not really liking the idea of putting 2 softer tracks like 6 and 7 back to back. My biggest complaint would be the weak cover art and the tiny, tiny print used for the lyrics on the inside of the insert....I know I'm pushing it.

With the new SOTY and the Taking Dawn (which doesn't sound, yet looks modern), 2010 is already a better year for modern/newish bands than 2009.

I agree that SOTY and Taking Dawn are the best releases so far in 2010, but mate, Taking Dawn is not in any way shape or form modern - just kick arse 80s hard rock to these ears.

Cheers

I agree that SOTY and Taking Dawn are the best releases so far in 2010, but mate, Taking Dawn is not in any way shape or form modern - just kick arse 80s hard rock to these ears.

Cheers

If you read the fine print you'll notice I wrote they LOOK, yet don't SOUND modern. Taking Dawn are still a new band. Last year had a bunch of established bands or band members make it big and new stuff from new musicians wasn't as strong as 2008.

Cheers

I you read the fine print you'll notice I wrote they LOOK, yet don't SOUND modern. Taking Dawn are still a new band. Last year had a bunch of established bands or band members make it big and new stuff from new musicians wasn't as strong as 2008.

Fair play mate....great band whatever! cheers

I just heard some of that TAKING DOWN and it sounds nowhere near as good as SOTY. Not even on the same planet. Just like a bargain-bin 80's standard/formulaic Hard Rock disc IMHO....

I just heard some of that TAKING DOWN and it sounds nowhere near as good as SOTY. Not even on the same planet. Just like a bargain-bin 80's standard/formulaic Hard Rock disc IMHO....

Be interested to know what songs you heard??

There are some absolutely killer songs on the Taking Dawn disc......

Namely...Take Me Away, Close Your Eyes, Never Enough, Endlessly and Cant Leave You Alone.

5 of the best songs this year!

If that is '80s standard hard rock', I wisk to fuck that was a bit more of it around LOL!¬

Namely...Take Me Away, Close Your Eyes, Never Enough, Endlessly and Cant Leave You Alone.

If that is '80s standard hard rock', I wisk to fuck that was a bit more of it around LOL!¬

No idea which songs I heard, but none of them were songs I hadn't heard a million times before several decades back. The reason there isn't much of it around is because: 1. Nobody likes it & the bands don't sell records, and 2. The bands could rarely hold a tune. Give me a Modern Rock band, even a rubbish one, over this type of generic stuff any day of the week...

No idea which songs I heard, but none of them were songs I hadn't heard a million times before several decades back. The reason there isn't much of it around is because: 1. Nobody likes it & the bands don't sell records, and 2. The bands could rarely hold a tune. Give me a Modern Rock band, even a rubbish one, over this type of generic stuff any day of the week...

I love the new SOTY, but the Taking Dawn kicks its ass all over the place.

I love the new SOTY, but the Taking Dawn kicks its ass all over the place.

+1

You guys have gone completely mad. But ultimately that other disc is hardly Modern Rock anyway so is a different genre entirely, and I highly doubt that there will be a better Modern Rock disc than this in 2010 (there sure as hell wasn't in 2009)....

I agree we are comparing juicy oranges and crispy apples. I love em both, but you can't make pie with oranges....fuck that makes no sense. The SOTY and Taking Dawn are different beasts and both are splendid releases. I can guarantee the Taking Dawn will make my top 10 for 2010, the SOTY will make my top 25, but top 10 might be pushing it.

You guys have gone completely mad. But ultimately that other disc is hardly Modern Rock anyway so is a different genre entirely, and I highly doubt that there will be a better Modern Rock disc than this in 2010 (there sure as hell wasn't in 2009)....

Tim mate, I agree with you 100%. I still doubt though that SOTY is gonna have a chance of impacting on the potential top 10 MHR come year end.

Tim mate, I agree with you 100%. I still doubt though that SOTY is gonna have a chance of impacting on the potential top 10 MHR come year end.

Yeah, I agree that the year in MHR is shaping up to be something special, possibly the best since around 1990-1992 and there will be no place for this... but I'm also hoping for something special in modern rock to come along and really blow me away. There are a lot of bands I haven't heard from in a while like A Change of Pace and Just Surrender for example, which I hope provide something great. So far Lifehouse is the 2nd best modern rock CD I've heard this year and whilst it's a surprisingly good CD, it's not a good sign. :lol:

Yeah, I agree that the year in MHR is shaping up to be something special, possibly the best since around 1990-1992 and there will be no place for this... but I'm also hoping for something special in modern rock to come along and really blow me away. There are a lot of bands I haven't heard from in a while like A Change of Pace and Just Surrender for example, which I hope provide something great. So far Lifehouse is the 2nd best modern rock CD I've heard this year and whilst it's a surprisingly good CD, it's not a good sign. :lol:

Just Surrender have a new song on their myspace although its not that great to be honest.

Isnt Hinder due a newie this year??

Just Surrender have a new song on their myspace although its not that great to be honest.

Stop it.

Stop it.

well mate, since we've established that you dislike 80's hard rock its hardly surprising you dont like Hinder :whistle: