Just can't seem to get into 70's hard rock...

Guest Dangerous Toy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabbath for me, was THE 70s band, and never ever equaled the 70s albums (and please dont tell me the Dio stuff is better, cause it isnt. It isnt even Sabbath in my eyes).

THE DIO STUFF IS BETTER!!!! :lol:

NO IT'S NOT !!!! :lol:

What do people think are the 10 or so most essential albums of the 70s?

I'd go for something along the lines of

Aerosmith - Rocks

Godz - s/t

Starz - Violation

Babys - Head First

Montrose - s/t

Kansas - Point of Know Return

Zon - Astral Projector

U.F.O. - Lights Out

Face Dancer - This World

Angel - s/t

Actually .... that's tough....and not necessarily my top 10....I mean there's Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, and Storms MCA album, not to mention 1994, Aviary, Legs Diamond, Wireless - No Static, Max Webster, Rush - A Farewell to Kings.... I could go on and on and on and if someone doesn't break my fingers I will :lol: .

I'd go for something along the lines of

Aerosmith - Rocks

Godz - s/t

Starz - Violation

Babys - Head First

Montrose - s/t

Zon - Astral Projector

U.F.O. - Lights Out

Face Dancer - This World

Angel - s/t

Actually .... that's tough....and not necessarily my top 10....I mean there's Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, and Storms MCA album, not to mention 1994, Aviary, Legs Diamond, Wireless - No Static, Max Webster, Rush - A Farewell to Kings.... I could go on and on and on and if someone doesn't break my fingers I will :lol: .

All of those, including the second list, without exception. :tumbsup:

And anyone who says the production and sound generally on most of these isn't up to scratch, needs their ears syringing.

The Essentials for me would be -

Journey - Evolution/Infinity

AC/DC - Highway To Hell

Survivor - s/t

Boston - Dont Look Back

Lizzy - Bad Reputation/Jailbreak

UFO - Lights Out

Rainbow - Rising/Long Live......./Down To Earth

All of those are classics.

Also have to mention 3 of my fav live releases from the 70s

Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Kiss - Alive II

REO - You Get What You Play for.

I still maintain though that it all really kicked off 1980 - that is a classic year for rock and any album in the top 20 would be essential

Cheers

Essential ones as far as I am concerned (in alphabetical order):

Ambrosia - Somewhere I've never travelled

Boston - Boston

Cheap Trick - Dream Police

Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue

Face Dancer - This World

Foreigner - Double Vision

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Golden Earring - Golden Earring

Head East - A different Kind of Crazy

Lake - Lake I

Le Roux - Up

Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell

Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial

Saga - Saga

Stingray - Stingray

I think one think that keeps new people from enjoying older music is they production value they are used to. If you grew up on music in the past 20 years, you have prob grown to expect deeper bass and more loudness and compression. A lot of 70s (and even 80s) stuff sounds very thin nowadays.

Myself, for instance, I have a lot of trouble enjoying a lot of 50's-early 60s music. It's not that I don't like the songs, it's just the band sounds like it's playing in a well three towns over! And don't get me started on the old blues recordings. But look at someone from that generation listening to it, they are in hog heaven. It just depends on what you are used to.

Essential 70s (and this is just off the top of my head):

Early KISS

Early Aerosmith

Ozzy era Black Sabbath

Dio era Rainbow

Bon Scott era AC/DC

The Ramones

Roth-era Van Halen

...what's not to like? :blink:

Backed!!!

I'll add...

Judas Priest

Thin Lizzy

Robin Trower

Moxy

Cheap Trick

Angel

Foghat

Molly Hatchet

Overall I find 70s rock to be somewhat pretentious (mostly the Brit bands), and the sound seems lacking (mostly due to the lack of technology back then, so production values were shit).

Agree 100%

I think people disagree more with your slagging of 82/81 and more so 80 - in which there were some classic rock albums released - maybe not your style - but classic none the less.

Exactly, not my style. The fact is, that style of music didn't just end on 31st of December 1979 and from 1st of January 1980 suddenly music was all awesome. IMO the sound still carried over for, as I say, about 2-3 years into the early 80's before things started to change noticably. Just like bands from 1990 to 1993 that held onto the dream that was the mid-80s.

Overall I find 70s rock to be somewhat pretentious (mostly the Brit bands), and the sound seems lacking (mostly due to the lack of technology back then, so production values were shit).

Agree 100%

I think people disagree more with your slagging of 82/81 and more so 80 - in which there were some classic rock albums released - maybe not your style - but classic none the less.

Exactly, not my style. The fact is, that style of music didn't just end on 31st of December 1979 and from 1st of January 1980 suddenly music was all awesome. IMO the sound still carried over for, as I say, about 2-3 years into the early 80's before things started to change noticably. Just like bands from 1990 to 1993 that held onto the dream that was the mid-80s.

Oh but of course it did all of sudden become awesome in 83 or 84 eh? Same argument mate.

Its rubbish anyway, all this sound / production shite. Escape was released in 81 and that still sounds one of the most lush & excellently produced AOR albums I own. Especially when I used to play the vinyl....sounded a million bucks. That riff at the beginning of the song 'Escape' coming through the speakers was just magic!

Also the sound on AC/DC's Highway to Hell is fantastic - just listen to 'Touch Too Much'.....still sounds awesome to this day.

Black Sabbath's Heaven & Hell from 80 sounds brilliant too.

Agree 100%

Oh but of course it did all of sudden become awesome in 83 or 84 eh? Same argument mate.

Its rubbish anyway, all this sound / production shite. Escape was released in 81 and that still sounds one of the most lush & excellently produced AOR albums I own. Especially when I used to play the vinyl....sounded a million bucks. That riff at the beginning of the song 'Escape' coming through the speakers was just magic!

Also the sound on AC/DC's Highway to Hell is fantastic - just listen to 'Touch Too Much'.....still sounds awesome to this day.

No, you're not understanding you silly bastard! :lol:

I'm not saying it was immediate at any point in time. There are a couple of cool sounding discs from 1981 and 1982 (Motley Crue, KISS and Ratt for example) as it gradually changed, and by 1983 a few more albums sounded a bit better and then by 1984 it seemed to hit stride with a high number of good releases. It just happened slowly - never immediately.

Agree 100%

No, you're not understanding you silly bastard! :lol:

I'm not saying it was immediate at any point in time. There are a couple of cool sounding discs from 1981 and 1982 (Motley Crue, KISS and Ratt for example) as it gradually changed, and by 1983 a few more albums sounded a bit better and then by 1984 it seemed to hit stride with a high number of good releases. It just happened slowly - never immediately.

Yeah whatever. We've been over this ground so may times. In the end its all just down to personal taste. For me there are definitely many albums from say 79-83 that absolutely piss on many releases from the mid-late 80s. But we'll never agree, so its over and out from me on this subject.

Yes a lot of the 70's and even some 80's releases lacked good production or sound but they more than made up for it by

pushing their craft farther with each new release with songs that are still be played on the radio, in commercials...whatever..

This was before Pro tools, the internet and youtube...so IMO that music has a MUCH Bigger impact than it get's credit for...

Yeah whatever. We've been over this ground so may times. In the end its all just down to personal taste. For me there are definitely many albums from say 79-83 that absolutely piss on many releases from the mid-late 80s. But we'll never agree, so its over and out from me on this subject.

Ha ha .. !! Backed 1000% !!!!!! :tumbsup:

Ha ha .. !! Backed 1000% !!!!!! :tumbsup:

:lol: Good idea to give up Glen, you'll save yourself a high blood pressure mate :D

Sabbath for me, was THE 70s band, and never ever equaled the 70s albums (and please dont tell me the Dio stuff is better, cause it isnt. It isnt even Sabbath in my eyes).

THE DIO STUFF IS GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD!!!! :lol:

Agreed Wes ;)

Babys - Head First

U.F.O. - Lights Out

Nice choices Nick :bowdown:

The Essentials for me would be -

Journey - Evolution/Infinity

AC/DC - Highway To Hell

Survivor - s/t

Boston - Dont Look Back

Lizzy - Bad Reputation/Jailbreak

UFO - Lights Out

Rainbow - Rising/Long Live......./Down To Earth