Giant - Promised Land

heavyharmonies

Geoff - you've managed to completely put me off this one now! I'd heard some soundbytes and thought some were okay but the last few were horrible. If the first 8 or 9 songs are also a bit patchy then I'll skip this. I accept that this was always going to be a million-miles behind the other 3 albums, and that these days AOR/MHR albums come complete with 4 or 5 filler tracks as standard, but I hoped there might be 2 or 3 big songs on here that would make it worth buying....

Yeah, it's definitely not great but it's hard to be really critical of it, bar those few absolutely terrible tracks. But as hard as it is to be critical, it's equally hard to be too positive about it. too Most of it's pretty good, but nothing will send you into cardiac arrest with it's awesomeness. Safe. Very safe.

I'd be okay with that, if there were 2 or 3 outright killer tunes on it to make it worth picking up. I love Brocks voice, but I really don't need another workmanlike MHR disc with no big standouts and a whole bunch of filler - it will sit on the shelf collecting dust while I dig out "Last of the Runaways" and "Time To Burn" to play instead....

i guess when i heard this was goin ahead without dan huff i thought this was a very bad idea.but having bought the album its a fine album.still wish dan had done it as a side project...m

yeah this is a great album, i know it sounds strange coming from me but it isn't anywhere near the likes of Treats latest & there's aatleast 1/2 a dozen more already ahead of giants album & we havent even reached 1/2 way through the year yet.

Complicated Man is a nice track. It sounds very Van Halen-ish to me. The album is definitely not as good as Giant III but is a nice addition to the discography. There is no real "filler" on the album just better tracks such as Promise Land, Believer, Two Worlds and Save Me.

i guess when i heard this was goin ahead without dan huff i thought this was a very bad idea.but having bought the album its a fine album.still wish dan had done it as a side project...m

yeah this is a great album, i know it sounds strange coming from me but it isn't anywhere near the likes of Treats latest & there's aatleast 1/2 a dozen more already ahead of giants album & we havent even reached 1/2 way through the year yet.

Wow, if this is a great album and yet there are still 6 or so albums that are better in the 2 months of 2010 so far then there must be a load of albums I haven't heard?

Btw: I thought the song "Complicated Man" was total 100% filler.

Geoff - you've managed to completely put me off this one now! I'd heard some soundbytes and thought some were okay but the last few were horrible. If the first 8 or 9 songs are also a bit patchy then I'll skip this. I accept that this was always going to be a million-miles behind the other 3 albums, and that these days AOR/MHR albums come complete with 4 or 5 filler tracks as standard, but I hoped there might be 2 or 3 big songs on here that would make it worth buying....

Yeah, it's definitely not great but it's hard to be really critical of it, bar those few absolutely terrible tracks. But as hard as it is to be critical, it's equally hard to be too positive about it. too Most of it's pretty good, but nothing will send you into cardiac arrest with it's awesomeness. Safe. Very safe.

I'd be okay with that, if there were 2 or 3 outright killer tunes on it to make it worth picking up. I love Brocks voice, but I really don't need another workmanlike MHR disc with no big standouts and a whole bunch of filler - it will sit on the shelf collecting dust while I dig out "Last of the Runaways" and "Time To Burn" to play instead....

Im not going to bother shelling out on this either.

Too many other killer releases to come this year.

Very good, solid album with maybe 3 fillers for me, like Geoff, towards the end. The rest is excellent and an album well worth shellling out for imo.

• 7 years later...