The benchmark has been set for 2010...

David

The benchmark has been set for 2010... (Hansel – Never Say Die)

I was lucky enough to be sent an advanced copy by lead signer Jett of Australia's very own Glam Rockers Hansel's debut album called “Never Say Die”. I've gotta tell everyone that this album will take a lot of beating for album of 2010. This is a world class sleaze rockin' CD that is every bit as good as anything to come out of L.A or Sweden in the last 25 years.

I just can't talk this album up enough, these guys make me very proud to be an Aussie!.

It sounds funny but song of the year so far would have to be the amazingly rockin' Hansel track “1-800-Pleasuretown”. Never Say Die is one of those albums where there is not a filler track to be heard. Songs like “Rock City”, “Rockship Of Love”, “Between A Rock And A Hard Place ”, the list goes on... are classics. I've played this CD about 100 times in full and I just don't get sick of ot. I haven't been this impressed by any band for a long, long time.

The bench mark has been set for all other bands in 2010 to try and at least match this record because I really can't see this album being beaten for album of the year, obviously I hope I'm wrong.

I drove the 11 hours up to Newcastle to see the band play their record release show on Jan 9 and they put on a killer show to a packed crowd. I meet all the guys and they really are a top bunch of guys too. It would be a major shame for fans of melodic hard sleaze glam rock to miss out on this GREAT album. You can purchase the album directly from the bands website (www.hanselsohotrightnow.com) of only $15, which is a steal.

Great summertime, great vibe disc for the hot Australian summer!!!

One last thing, I don't have a vested interest in the band, it's just that I have been blown away by this GREAT album and need to tell the world!!

P.S. FYI Babylon Bombs got my album of 2009 in a very good year for Melodic Rock and Black Rain's “Innocent Rosie” was my song of the year. Let's hope 2010 is as good, we're certainly off to a great start!!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Geoff,

Please trust me mate, you will LOVE this album, I really can't speak highly enough of this band.

In my opinion their song Murder 101 is the weakest song on the album and I absolutely LOVE that track!!

Let me know bud.

Kind regards

Dave

The bench mark has been set for all other bands in 2010 to try and at least match this record because I really can't see this album being beaten for album of the year, obviously I hope I'm wrong.

with the probable 20+ awesome releases due to be released this year, that is some statement!

look forward to hearing it.

Cheers

Jeff,

Believe it or not but the first band that comes to mind is Shotgun Messiah's first album. And Shotgun Messiah's first album is one of my favorites. It also sound a bit like Poison's 2nd & 3rd albums.

Let me give it another spin and get back to you but Shotgun Messiah's first album definately comes to mind.

Will get back to you!

Kind regards

Dave

I'm going to buy this one as soon as it is available from AOR-Heaven or NEH, as I actually like the samples of it (Amazon MP3.

That being said, I think it sounds pretty good so far, BUT it most probably won't end up in my Top20 of the year, as I already prefer Wig Wam's newbie over this and there are some masterpieces coming up in 2010!

Jeff,

Believe it or not but the first band that comes to mind is Shotgun Messiah's first album. And Shotgun Messiah's first album is one of my favorites. It also sound a bit like Poison's 2nd & 3rd albums.

Let me give it another spin and get back to you but Shotgun Messiah's first album definately comes to mind.

Will get back to you!

Kind regards

Dave

Wow, I like the sound of that. The obvious comparison I'd have made based on their debut EP would be to Wig Wam. If they still have that vibe, mixed with Shotgun Messiah and Poison I don't see any possible way that this CD cannot be awesome!

As for being at the top of 2010... I have to say that even from Aussie shores alone I think that if White Widdow get a disc out this year that'll be hard to top. After hearing their full set live, if they released a well produced product that should tear the year apart.

Man, everything I read gets me more excited about this. Can't wait for it to arrive! Hope it's in the mailbox on Monday.

Another question I had for the gurus out there. Is that blonde guitarist (Grind, I think) a new member of the band? I remember the other guys but from what I remember when I saw them live the second guitarist seemed a lot younger and had darker hair. Is it a new dude, or does he just look a little different?

Geoff,

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I think he just cut his hair. I think he is under 18 because his parents were at the gig the other night.

Geoff, what is your email addy?? I know you want to wait and hear the whole album by yourself but I would love to send you the song "1-800-Pleasetown".

Kind regards

Dave

That's "1-800-Pleasuretown".

Haha. Okay, I can't promise I'll hear it (I do love waiting for the full thing :) ) but if you want to send it here's my address:

ihaveteeth@hotmail.com

I actually remember them playing that song at the Manly gig I went to.

Cheers mate.

Geoff,

Sent off 1-800-Pleasuretown to your email address.

Please let Heavy Harmonies know what you think.

You might think the track stinks!! - lol! Either way, I'm keen to hear what you think.

Kind regards

Dave

Ok, I caved. Loved it. A lot better than the live version I recall. Fun lyrics, good vocals, awesome production job and great hook. Really cool song. Man what I wouldn't give for White Widdow to work with whoever produced this CD.

Anyway, I love it and can't wait for the rest. Man, it sounds so "proper". Great to hear this kind of quality from an Aussie band these days.

Guys,

Post your email addys and I will get some Mp3's to you A.S.A.P.

You're gonna love this!!

P.S. Those stiffs over at Melodirock.com will only give the Hansel album a go if it sounds like Survivor!!

Kind regards

Dave

LOL, mate I just read that thread over at Melrock and they ripped you a new a-hole.

You'd never have thought you were trying to introduce a new band to them! Quite narrow minded and their musical taste is obviously in question as I listened to this twice on the way to work and can honestly say that I loved it!

Maybe not up to the quality of the HEAT debut but very good nonetheless.

Cheers for the heads up.

I'm diggin' the stuff on their Myspace site. Rock City is a great track.

Is their EP worth getting? Some tracks are on Never Say Die but it appears not all of them. Yet I'm not sure it is worth the $10 plus the $9 to ship both cd's to the US. <sigh> I'll probably end up doing it.

I'll have to strongly disagree. This is a pretty weak album IMO.

Murder 101 is a killer song but other than that I'm not finding the rest anything worth repeat listens.

Have to agree on this, not my bag at all. Just don't rate the songs.

Hey, it's all about different tastes!

Guest TashaGuns

Maybe not THE album of the year but there is something in most of the songs that makes me feel like dancing all around the house :bananamac::bananamac::bananamac: !

Thank you so much to have shared with us Dave, I will order that cd quickly. :guitbannana: