Helloween - UNARMED 25th Anniversary Collection

Fat Freddy

helloween25th.jpg

Surprised to see no topic on this yet. (or am I the only one here who still gives a sh*t about this band too? Haha) Helloween is about to celebrate their 25th year as a recording act (!! Gawd has it been that long?) with a new "greatest hits" set called UNARMED - BEST OF 25th ANNIVERSARY. The album will consist of newly recorded, "re-imagined" versions of some of their most popular tracks, including a retread of the "Keeper of the Seven Keys" saga backed by the Prague Symphony Orchestra (!). Here's the track listing:

01. Dr. Stein

02. Future World

03. If I Could Fly

04. Where The Rain Grows

05. The Keeper's Trilogy

06. Eagle Fly Free

07. Perfect Gentleman

08. Forever & One

09. I Want Out

10. Falling To Pieces

11. A Tale That Wasn't Right

Sounds good so far right? Normally I'd be all over a new Helloween release like a fat chick on a cheeseburger, but then I had the (mis)fortune to see the video for the leadoff single, the "new" version of "Dr. Stein" (see link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVUNVKXmW1U

Um...WTF is that? ...good Lord, they've completely lost their minds haven't they?? I know Helloween have always been goofy guys but this is just over the top...I think I'll pass.

A mashup of all of the songs from the album can be heard here... doesn't sound any more inviting than the "Dr. Stein" track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWAElJ_rNE

Didn't Helloween's label (SPV) just come out of bankruptcy proceedings? Releasing something like this could put them right back there....

Oh lord that's awful!!!

hari-kari.jpg

:rofl: Yeah, that's about how I feel too.

I have long considered CHAMELEON to be Helloween's worst album but I think we may have a new champion!!

Oh lord that's awful!!!

hari-kari.jpg

:rofl: Yeah, that's about how I feel too.

I have long considered CHAMELEON to be Helloween's worst album but I think we may have a new champion!!

I think You may be right.. I only heard samples of Chameleon, but it sounds BETTER than this load of crap......

I think You may be right.. I only heard samples of Chameleon, but it sounds BETTER than this load of crap......

I have owned CHAMELEON in the past. Trust me, you don't want it. :lol:

But seriously, saying it's better or worse than this new one is kinda like saying having your hair set on fire is 'better' than slamming your nuts repeatedly in a car door...

I have owned CHAMELEON in the past. Trust me, you don't want it. :lol:

But seriously, saying it's better or worse than this new one is kinda like saying having your hair set on fire is 'better' than slamming your nuts repeatedly in a car door...

Oh I know I don't want to own Chameleon Man, and all I was saying was the samples I heard sounded better, but yea Yer right it's like saying having your hair set on fire is better than slamming your nuts in a car door.. Both pretty much SUCK..... :rofl2:

Actually, the reworkings are quite innovative. Helloween has always been known for having a quirky sense of humour. You have to admit - this is way way different from the vanilla cut-and-dried rerecordings that so many bands do.

After listening to the remakes, I'll probably buy this one. The Keeper Trilogy backed by symphony alone is worth picking up.

I hope they do videos for all the new remakes.

It's campy. It's humorous. It's harmless. I dig it.

-Dan

i got the japo press and it sux. disney crap for the average johnny. i'll put it on my taxes form, hopefully to get something back, if i convinced them that's a donation to an arteriosclerosis research foundation.....time to spin 10 years in rage....

i got the japo press and it sux. disney crap for the average johnny. i'll put it on my taxes form, hopefully to get something back, if i convinced them that's a donation to an arteriosclerosis research foundation.....time to spin 10 years in rage....

Well if you find it that horrific and want to unload it cheap, PM me. :)

-Dan

After viewing the Dr Stein vid a week or so ago I have no intention of buying this or listening to other samples.

I to am usually all over a new Helloween disc and as I've mentioned many times before prefer the Deris years to the old stuff(but I love the old stuff to) but I have no interest in hearing these classics songs being "unarmed".

I have no interest in hearing these classics songs being "unarmed".

Not to mention, that album title is totally false advertising. The model on the cover is clearly in possession of both of her arms. :lol:

I have no interest in hearing these classics songs being "unarmed".

Not to mention, that album title is totally false advertising. The model on the cover is clearly in possession of both of her arms. :lol:

Very true. :lol:

Plus to call it a "Best of" is total bullshit IMO.

While yes it is "innovative", as Dan said, but me not being a fan of Jazz and the other stylings they've re-worked these "classics" into I remain uninterested. But it's their life and I guess they can do what they want to but I doubt there is a very high percentage of their fans that are going to like this. It's really a shame since IMO they have been a on a roll since Deris joined the band.

I suppose that if this "Unarmed" CD was released as a bonus disc with a new album of original material, I might be more charitable towards it... but if they think they're gettin' $$ outta me for this thing, nah. I'm a fanboy in most respects, but the limits of that fanboy-ism were severely tested when I watched that "Dr Stein" video :puke:

Why are they mocking their own songs?

Those has to be by far the worst remakes/reworked/refucked tracks ever.

What a waste of time and money.

I know they have a goofy sense of humour, but this is way off, I'm sure most fans even the die hards would never pay for or let alone want to hear this so called Helloween meets the Mini Pops while on a Disney Cruise shit.

• 2 months later...

This disc will be getting a belated U.S. release soon via The End Records, in case anybody cares. I can only assume assume that The End must need a tax write off. "I got it! Let's release an album that NOBODY will want!"

I viewed that "Dr. Stein" video again just for gits and shiggles and I'm still sayin' "Um... yeah, PASS."

"Dr. Stein" was never high on my list of favorite Helloween songs anyway (I always found it somewhat irritating) but I never DREAMED that they'd find a way to make a version that's even MORE annoying than the original!!

At least the girl saxophone players in the video were nice to look at....

This disc will be getting a belated U.S. release soon via The End Records, in case anybody cares. I can only assume assume that The End must need a tax write off. "I got it! Let's release an album that NOBODY will want!"

I viewed that "Dr. Stein" video again just for gits and shiggles and I'm still sayin' "Um... yeah, PASS."

"Dr. Stein" was never high on my list of favorite Helloween songs anyway (I always found it somewhat irritating) but I never DREAMED that they'd find a way to make a version that's even MORE annoying than the original!!

At least the girl saxophone players in the video were nice to look at....

I about started a thread about my borderline hatred of that song but thought I'd killed for it.

For some reason I've just never liked it especially when compared the other great songs they've recorded.

Of course this new version makes the whole thing that much worse.

I about started a thread about my borderline hatred of that song but thought I'd killed for it.

For some reason I've just never liked it especially when compared the other great songs they've recorded.

You never liked "Dr. Stein" either huh? Wow, then I'm not the only one. :lol:

Seriously, that song is just too goofball. In fact, it's one of two songs on KEEPER PART II that bug the hell out of me, the other being "Rise and Fall" (which has one of the most irritating choruses ever recorded). Though I think I'm in the minority, I've always preferred KEEPER PART I over PART II.

You never liked "Dr. Stein" either huh? Wow, then I'm not the only one. :lol:

Seriously, that song is just too goofball. In fact, it's one of two songs on KEEPER PART II that bug the hell out of me, the other being "Rise and Fall" (which has one of the most irritating choruses ever recorded). Though I think I'm in the minority, I've always preferred KEEPER PART I over PART II.

I agree on part 1 being better of the two with "Future World", "Halloween", "A Tale That Wasn't Right" and "A Little Time" I think the great songs are a little better. Sure part 2 has "I Want Out" and many other great tunes but it also has at least the 2 fillers you mentioned where part 1 doesn't have any IMO.

• 1 year later...

I'm just listening to this Unarmed disc for the first time and man it is so different. I'll commend them for being brave and adding all of these different instruments to their classic songs but I don't see myself playing this one that often and am glad that 7 Sinners came out shortly after this. I will admit that these new versions aren't near as bad as I expected and some of the acoustic based stuff is kind of cool and that might of been the way to go doing an all acoustic based Helloween album or just have the new lineup do real new versions of the old Kai and Kiske era tunes. I am sure glad this was just a one off.