Taking Dawn

Glen

Heard the bonus tracks today. Nice. 'V' is a cool heavy rocker, 'Black diamond' is pretty cool and as Glen says, 'Can't leave you alone' is one of the best songs these guys have recorded... should definitely have made the cut for the album over 'The Chain.'

I wasnt that keen on V actually.....i'd say it is the weakest track.

Black Diamond is of course a cover of the classic Kiss track....hence the beginning 'you want the best you got the best'.

Heard the bonus tracks today. Nice. 'V' is a cool heavy rocker, 'Black diamond' is pretty cool and as Glen says, 'Can't leave you alone' is one of the best songs these guys have recorded... should definitely have made the cut for the album over 'The Chain.'

I wasnt that keen on V actually.....i'd say it is the weakest track.

Black Diamond is of course a cover of the classic Kiss track....hence the beginning 'you want the best you got the best'.

I actually liked 'V' better than a couple of album tracks. I thought 'Black diamond' was by far the weakest song (and not as well produced either?) and funnily enough I was listening to it thinking, this has got to be another cover song. But I've never heard the KISS song.

Yeah, I agree with the dudes... not one of the strongest tracks. I will listen to this bonus track hungrily when I get home. I will have to try to download it somewhere too.

If there is one must-hear song on this album it's no doubt 'Endlessly.'

I actually checked all of this out and I'd definitely rate "Never Enough" and "Endlessly" as the best tracks, but I definitely wish it was all of that quality. There are 3-4 songs on here that I skip without hesitation, but if I knew how to download stuff like all you youngsters do then I'd definitely take 3 or 4 tracks off this disc. I still stick with my original assessment that this has been done a zillion times before and often a whole lot better, but it is pretty decent stuff & I can see why people are liking this one...

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree with the dudes... not one of the strongest tracks. I will listen to this bonus track hungrily when I get home. I will have to try to download it somewhere too.

If there is one must-hear song on this album it's no doubt 'Endlessly.'

I actually checked all of this out and I'd definitely rate "Never Enough" and "Endlessly" as the best tracks, but I definitely wish it was all of that quality. There are 3-4 songs on here that I skip without hesitation, but if I knew how to download stuff like all you youngsters do then I'd definitely take 3 or 4 tracks off this disc. I still stick with my original assessment that this has been done a zillion times before and often a whole lot better, but it is pretty decent stuff & I can see why people are liking this one...

I'll pretty much go along with TIM's above comment on this one. I absolutely love 'Endlessly' and 'Never Enough' but really wish there were others that were as good, which unfortunatley there aren't for me. Solid if unspectacular would be my final statement on this one.

• 3 years later...

Just doing some reading on what caused the name change, and it sounds like things went a bit screwy.

Mikey Cross (guitar) apparently announced last year the band had split, and the replacement for the replacement drummer, Tim D'Onofrio also posted on the Taking Dawn Facebook page that the band had split, but there was no official band announcement as Chris Babbitt (vocals/guitar) and Andrew Cushing (bass) kept working on a follow up album to their debut, with new guitarist Steven Anderson (and no mention of a drummer).

Next thing you know the band have started posting that they have changed their name.

My guess is it all got messy, and they could no longer use the name or something, as they obviously fell out with Cross.

• 6 years later...

Not feeling that new single. Couple of decent riffs but that’s about it for me. Sounds like a poor mans Blessed By A Broken Heart / Escape The Fate. 
No problem with them going heavier, but not a fan of that. 

I played the hell out of their debut, always felt they had potential to go further. Solid live band also. 

Yeah, that new song is not very good at all. Where are the Dawn of the Demos tunes from, Russ? The second one is absolute shit, but 'The devil dared me to' is kind of okay. 

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, that new song is not very good at all. Where are the Dawn of the Demos tunes from, Russ? The second one is absolute shit, but 'The devil dared me to' is kind of okay. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

A mix of new/previously unreleased songs, older Taking Dawn songs and some Devils' Run songs.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check this out. 

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

That song sucks. :(

Really? You surprise me, cob. Sounds fucking awesome to me, to be honest. Love it. 

25 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'm somewhere between you two, it doesn't suck but I doubt it would have made the debut 

Really? You guys are ballsing me, surely? It's a killer tune and instantly better than most the debut. 

That said, it's much heavier and a different beast to the debut, but a very good heavy rock tune. 

3 minutes ago, auslander said:

A band is gonna sound different after 12 years. But, DAMN, that's a smokin' hot track! 

It is and you raise a good point. If that doesn't do it for you, then what on the sweet lands of Christ's earth do these guys actually need to do to please someone? ;) 

Just now, Geoff said:

It is and you raise a good point. If that doesn't do it for you, then what on the sweet lands of Christ's earth do these guys actually need to do to please someone? ;) 

Mate they had THREE guitarists shredding it up at different points along with a duel lead guitar solo. I mean WTF! That song was an instant hit for me. I already know it will be one of my favourite tracks this year.

I thought their debut was good if a little uneven. I hate the first track which just sounds too try-hard to be controversial. But the tracks Take Me Away and also The Chain cover are classic material. Some others I loved too but can't remember right now. But Take Me Away was a killer.