Taking Dawn

Glen

2010 is shaping up to be pretty awesome, with some great releases coming up....but I would be surprised if this didnt feature in my top 10 MHR come year end.

You can quote me on this - I will eat my own testicles if this isn't in my top 10 at the end of the year. ;)

This one is so good it's a shame to listen to anything else :guitbannana::beerbang:

I got this one in the mail the other day. I cranked it on my surround sound and loved every minute of it.

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

are certainly going to be on my top tracks lists at the end of the year.

When I listen to the track Godless, it makes me wish Lillian Axe had gone this way with their new sound. Sounds like something they would have released during the Psycho... era

Rippin songs, shredding guitars and great vox makes this one the best so far for 2010.

Halle-fuckin'-lujah for Taking Dawn's Time To Burn.

I got this one in the mail the other day. I cranked it on my surround sound and loved every minute of it.

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

When I listen to the track Godless, it makes me wish Lillian Axe had gone this way with their new sound. Sounds like something they would have released during the Psycho... era

Rippin songs, shredding guitars and great vox makes this one the best so far for 2010.

+1

19/03 is imminent tho..........

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

+1

What is coming out on March 19th? Other than being my Mother's birthday, what makes it a special date?

I still think that many other erleases will fight it out for the number 1 spot come year's end: Reckless Love, H.E.A.T., Crazy Lixx, Crash Diet.

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

+1

What is coming out on March 19th? Other than being my Mother's birthday, what makes it a special date?

I still think that many other erleases will fight it out for the number 1 spot come year's end: Reckless Love, H.E.A.T., Crazy Lixx, Crash Diet.

March 19th is the release date for Crazy Lixx, Treat and I think Crashdiet as well.

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

+1

March 19th is the release date for Crazy Lixx, Treat and I think Crashdiet as well.

Correct......I can see all 3 being in my top 10 MHR this year :headbanger:

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

+1

I thought you were already mouthing off negatively about the Treat album? :lol:

Take Me Away

Never Enough

Endlessly

Godless

Save Me

+1

I thought you were already mouthing off negatively about the Treat album? :lol:

Certainly not mouthing off negatively. I may have commented that the samples didnt blow me away as much as I'd hoped, but that was only some initial disappointment as I wanted this is to be THE perfect MHR album after the hype at the beginning of the year.

I still fully expect this to occupy a top 5 spot come year end.

The Crazy Lixx and Shining Line samples excite me more, but I may be totally wrong on these discs.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this thread back to the top of the pile for the benefit of Tim, so that he can realise that his opinion that this is 'boring 80s hard rock that he's heard a million times before' is a very lonely one indeed!

Sorry mate, I didn't like this stuff 20 years ago and I sure-as-shit don't like it in 2010. Way too much good modern stuff coming out this year to bother with this. Though I do like the sound of that RECKLESS LOVE band so would much rather check that out...

Here's my more detailed view on the tracks on their Myspace page...

TIME TO BURN - Is this Nickleback's "Burn It To The Ground" with some token swearing? Decent vocals but piss-weak song IMO.

TAKE ME AWAY - More melodic song with nice harmonies, sadly the chorus is slightly disappointing. Nice harmonic solo though.

CLOSE YOUR EYES - Another song with some nice lead work but such a weak/generic/dull chorus & no hook whatsoever.

FIGHT 'EM WITH YOUR ROCK - This song wouldve been embarrassing in 1985. In 2010 it just sounds absolute first-grade shit.

THE CHAIN - Shark Island maybe? Nice harmonies here, but it's still only okay & hardly a world-beater IMO.

So overall it's a mixed-bag, some decent and two outright shockers. Their mixture of melodic/heavier tunes reminds me of any of the fairly patchy Nickleback albums, though they're certainly not better than Nickleback. Not something I'd ever buy or repeatedly play, but if they could ditch the horrible heavier tunes & learn to write a great chorus then they could have something more interesting...

Haha! With my hand on heart, I would have bet my mortgage on the fact that you'd be the first here to dislike this album, Tim. In total, 100% honesty when this thread was getting all this praise I was actually going to make a post mentioning the fact that I bet you'd be the first hater. :lol:

As for the tracks you heard, the first 3 you just suck for disliking, but 'Fight 'em with your rock' (which I still like anyway) and 'The chain' are EASILY two of the weaker songs on the CD. I'd like to see even you try to dismiss 'Never enough' or the best song of 2010 so far (by far) 'Endlessly'.

FYI, 'The Chain' is a cover and not even remotely reflective of the rest of the CD.

Not as good as Nickelback? :lol: You're so cute!

Haha! With my hand on heart, I would have bet my mortgage on the fact that you'd be the first here to dislike this album, Tim. In total, 100% honesty when this thread was getting all this praise I was actually going to make a post mentioning the fact that I bet you'd be the first hater. :lol:

As for the tracks you heard, the first 3 you just suck for disliking, but 'Fight 'em with your rock' (which I still like anyway) and 'The chain' are EASILY two of the weaker songs on the CD. I'd like to see even you try to dismiss 'Never enough' or the best song of 2010 so far (by far) 'Endlessly'.

FYI, 'The Chain' is a cover and not even remotely reflective of the rest of the CD.

I'm on Geoff's side with this. To pick apart such a great release really makes me wonder if you need to make rendez-vous to visit an ear doctor. I have a feeling Tim likes it modern or classic, no in-betweens, no mixing nor any new band trying to sound classic.

I'm on Geoff's side with this. To pick apart such a great release really makes me wonder if you need to make rendez-vous to visit an ear doctor. I have a feeling Tim likes it modern or classic, no in-betweens, no mixing nor any new band trying to sound classic.

Well this isn't Modern Rock in any shape or form. It's like a collection of Skid Row b-sides without the great vocals, and with a slightly updated production. My reference point of Shark Island was probably nearest, but frankly this is nowhere near the quality of their debut disc (there's nothing as bad as "Fight 'Em With Your Rock" on that album). I dunno, I just don't get it. I mean, at best 2 out of those 5 songs are weak - and if that's among the best that Hard Rock has to offer these days then we all ought to give up and go home (or at least just stick to the stuff from the 80's/90's and not bother buying any new stuff). None of these songs beat the best songs from the last few Nickleback albums, and STORY OF THE YEAR (which genuinely has no filler) is a much better album than this by a long-shot IMHO.

Well this isn't Modern Rock in any shape or form. It's like a collection of Skid Row b-sides without the great vocals, and with a slightly updated production. My reference point of Shark Island was probably nearest, but frankly this is nowhere near the quality of their debut disc (there's nothing as bad as "Fight 'Em With Your Rock" on that album). I dunno, I just don't get it. I mean, at best 2 out of those 5 songs are weak - and if that's among the best that Hard Rock has to offer these days then we all ought to give up and go home (or at least just stick to the stuff from the 80's/90's and not bother buying any new stuff). None of these songs beat the best songs from the last few Nickleback albums, and STORY OF THE YEAR (which genuinely has no filler) is a much better album than this by a long-shot IMHO.

All the other tracks on the album are killer IMO.

As Geoff says, more fool you if you dont get to hear 'Never Enough', 'Endlessly' or 'Cant Leave You Alone' which are all better than anything on SOTY IMO.

Dont get me wrong, I Love the new SOTY and would be surprised if it didnt end up on top or near the top of my modern list for 2010, but to dismiss this album as being worse than Nickelback is pretty laughable.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree eh??

• 3 weeks later...

Just to revisit this, and give some credit where it's due. I've seen their video for "Time To Burn" pretty regularly on Scuzz and I kinda like it. It does grow on you a fair bit. I'm still never really going to like this style of slick Modern Hard Rock but there's a real fine-line between this and the sort of Modern Rock I love - as to me this is pretty similar to the last Shinedown disc. I'm not rushing out to buy the album y'understand, but giving them their dues on this tune...

Just to revisit this, and give some credit where it's due. I've seen their video for "Time To Burn" pretty regularly on Scuzz and I kinda like it. It does grow on you a fair bit. I'm still never really going to like this style of slick Modern Hard Rock but there's a real fine-line between this and the sort of Modern Rock I love - as to me this is pretty similar to the last Shinedown disc. I'm not rushing out to buy the album y'understand, but giving them their dues on this tune...

Mate there are 3 tracks on the album which murder that track....namely 'Never Enough', 'Endlessly' and the bonus track 'Can't Leave You Alone'.....see if you can get to hear them.

Might be something on You Tube ??

Cheers

Mate there are 3 tracks on the album which murder that track....namely 'Never Enough', 'Endlessly' and the bonus track 'Can't Leave You Alone'.....see if you can get to hear them.

Might be something on You Tube ??

Cheers

I'll have to admit that the title track is probably only my 6th or 7th fav tune on this disc.

Time To Burn is an OK track, but nowhere near as good as Take Me Away, Godless, Never Enough and Endlessly.

I just wonder how many people have heard the bonus track 'Cant Leave You Alone' ??

It really is rather good. Probably in my top 3 on the album.

Quality is not the best..........great song tho!

Cheers

Yeah, I agree with the dudes... not one of the strongest tracks. I will listen to this bonus track hungrily when I get home. I will have to try to download it somewhere too.

If there is one must-hear song on this album it's no doubt 'Endlessly.'

and just for Tim here are the other two -

Never Enough

Endlessly

cheers

Thanks mate, I'll check these out...

Heard the bonus tracks today. Nice. 'V' is a cool heavy rocker, 'Black diamond' is pretty cool and as Glen says, 'Can't leave you alone' is one of the best songs these guys have recorded... should definitely have made the cut for the album over 'The Chain.'