TREAT - COUP DE GRACE

rockdoc

Well one thing's for sure, we are all in agreement on Nos 1 & 14 ;-) (except Tim...I though you didnt like sappy BSBs type ballads??)

I don't like ballads that are overly-cheesy, but TREAT always just seem to get the balance right IMO. "Best of Me" (from "Dreamhunter") is probably my all-time fave ballad. This one just verges on that cheesy/acceptable border for me, but for some reason I just love the melodies in it. I'd also probably rank "All For Love" ahead of "We Own the Night", but both - along with pretty much all the rest - is utterly awesome. Seriously, this disc just gets better and better everytime I play it, and my first-spin comments about it starting slowly then picking-up were pretty wide of the mark (it's killer throughout).

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well one thing's for sure, we are all in agreement on Nos 1 & 14 ;-) (except Tim...I though you didnt like sappy BSBs type ballads??)

I don't like ballads that are overly-cheesy, but TREAT always just seem to get the balance right IMO. "Best of Me" (from "Dreamhunter") is probably my all-time fave ballad. This one just verges on that cheesy/acceptable border for me, but for some reason I just love the melodies in it. I'd also probably rank "All For Love" ahead of "We Own the Night", but both - along with pretty much all the rest - is utterly awesome. Seriously, this disc just gets better and better everytime I play it, and my first-spin comments about it starting slowly then picking-up were pretty wide of the mark (it's killer throughout).

yeah backed, its a great album for sure.

Just for the record, have you guys heard the amazing Jaded Heart bonus track 'Under the skies of Africa'? I think it's a 'IV' bonus track. Anyway, that's what 'Skies of Mongolia' reminds me of. Both songs are freakin' superb and I like the lyrics a lot in both. Nothing wrong with being a little exotic. ;)

I agreeUnder the sky of Africa is one of my favorite Jaded heart songs, I llike the lyric too.

Strange It was only a bonus track.

About Cup the grace ,Skies of Mongolia is my favorite song .

We own the night,Paper tiger,Roar and Tangled up( I love this song 'cause I'm a big fan of Muscle in motion and the self titled, nobody does it?) are great songs too.

I agree about All in , It's a weak song , A life to die for is too much romantic for my taste.

A thing that leave me a bit perplexed is that Rob Ernlund (I love his voice) didin't write a single song on this one.

I remember He had a great part in the songwriting of Dreamhunter,Pleasure principle and Organised crime.

4 songs are written with Mats Leven (great singer,great songwriter).

Skies of mongolia with R.scenker.

Obviously Anders Wikstrom still the main songwriter, this guy is a god of melodic rock.

Roar and Paper tiger are written with P.Applegren.

Jamie Borger didn't write nothing on this one, He is a good songwriter with Talisman and Last autumn dream).

No way without you is written with S. Lee. If I remember well Wikstrom and Applegren written something for Gotthard.

If you insist. I'd rank them like this:

1. We Own the Night

2. Paper Tiger

3. All For Love

4. Skies of Mongolia

5. A Life to Die For

6. No Way Without You

7. The War is Over

8. Tangled Up

9. All In

10. Roar

11. I'm Not Runnin'

12. Heaven Can Wait

13. Breathless

14. Prelude: Coup De Grace

Why bother? They are all magic, other than the filler prelude.

Backed 100 %

Just for the record, have you guys heard the amazing Jaded Heart bonus track 'Under the skies of Africa'? I think it's a 'IV' bonus track. Anyway, that's what 'Skies of Mongolia' reminds me of. Both songs are freakin' superb and I like the lyrics a lot in both. Nothing wrong with being a little exotic. ;)

I agreeUnder the sky of Africa is one of my favorite Jaded heart songs, I llike the lyric too.

Strange It was only a bonus track.

About Cup the grace ,Skies of Mongolia is my favorite song .

We own the night,Paper tiger,Roar and Tangled up( I love this song 'cause I'm a big fan of Muscle in motion and the self titled, nobody does it?) are great songs too.

I agree about All in , It's a weak song , A life to die for is too much romantic for my taste.

A thing that leave me a bit perplexed is that Rob Ernlund (I love his voice) didin't write a single song on this one.

I remember He had a great part in the songwriting of Dreamhunter,Pleasure principle and Organised crime.

4 songs are written with Mats Leven (great singer,great songwriter).

Skies of mongolia with R.scenker.

Obviously Anders Wikstrom still the main songwriter, this guy is a god of melodic rock.

Roar and Paper tiger are written with P.Applegren.

Jamie Borger didn't write nothing on this one, He is a good songwriter with Talisman and Last autumn dream).

No way without you is written with S. Lee. If I remember well Wikstrom and Applegren written something for Gotthard.

Yeah, I noticed that about the song writing too. I can only assume Ernlund's absence from penmanship is due to his lengthy absence from music, and Wikstrom has obviously still been heavily involved in song writing since the demise of Treat. Therefore one can only assume that having him write all the tunes was the easy move. The co-written songs with Leven are interesting, though. Wonder what the story is there...

Wow... a ground swell of rebellion against the dictatorhsip that is Treat.

Maybe the 3 of us could stage a coup to oust Treat from it's ruling seat.

Not likely. In fact, after listening to the CD again at work today, I've decided to simply cut to the chase and permanently ban anyone who doesn't love this disc.

Well, ok maybe that's a bit harsh, but dang how can you not love this CD? It keeps growing on me the more I listen to it, and I loved the blasted thing to begin with!

-Dan

Yep, i agree with Dan, this album grows oon me more and more.. "We Own The Night" is a real AOR Anthem! Rock on!! One of the best releases of this year indeed.

I saw them live yesterday in Bologna(ITALY), toghether with Heat and Poodles.

Best concert of the year(both Poodles and Heat), they already won, It's impossible to do better than this.

From the new album: the war is over,Paper tiger,skies of mongolia,Roar and we own the night.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new found appreciation for the track 'Heaven Can Wait'. I know many believe it to be amongst the weakest tracks, but that bridge part or whatever you call it, right before the solo is probably my favorite single moment of the entire disc. The twangy/country styled guitar solo that follows is also brilliant.

I have a new found appreciation for the track 'Heaven Can Wait'. I know many believe it to be amongst the weakest tracks, but that bridge part or whatever you call it, right before the solo is probably my favorite single moment of the entire disc. The twangy/country styled guitar solo that follows is also brilliant.

I agree that's a great song.

• 3 weeks later...

Spun all my 2010 releases over the weekend and I have to say this still holds the top spot comfortably for me. Some true valid competition like Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx and HEAT but the thing that gets this over the line for me is that aside from all the songs being excellent, there is such a huge variety of different type of songs... whilst all remain true to their melodic rock roots.

But there's everything from sweet ballads, mid-tempo delights, almost US-styled hard rockers, big bombastic melodic hard rockers... just an awesome mix of everything that makes an album worthy of the top spot. In other words, whatever *that* CD is you're talking about, Dan, you're wrong. ;):lol:

Spun all my 2010 releases over the weekend and I have to say this still holds the top spot comfortably for me. Some true valid competition like Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx and HEAT but the thing that gets this over the line for me is that aside from all the songs being excellent, there is such a huge variety of different type of songs... whilst all remain true to their melodic rock roots.

But there's everything from sweet ballads, mid-tempo delights, almost US-styled hard rockers, big bombastic melodic hard rockers... just an awesome mix of everything that makes an album worthy of the top spot. In other words, whatever *that* CD is you're talking about, Dan, you're wrong. ;):lol:

Same here, Treat is still number 1 for 2010. Of the cd's that I've already got this year, only the Crashdiet might sneak past in the end, but I don't think so. My list is basically the same as Geoff's.

Top 5

1. Treat

2. Crashdiet

3. Crazy Lixx

4. Reckless Love

5. H.E.A.T

• 2 weeks later...

& ISNT THE BONUS TRACK ON THE JAPANESE PRESSING "Turn The Dial" JUST ROCKING!!!! :beerbang:

that it is............

Give it to me please.

• 5 months later...

Just re-earthing this thread as I stumbled on this track today, and remembered the comments about the Stanfour "cover" song.

It seems it may just be a stock tune that bands write their own lyrics to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPXBv0yhGc

I keep falling in love with this disc over and over. I can't get enough.

I have to admit to not being familiar with Treat, as a whole. That being said, I think this album is a bit overhyped. Alot of times a group gets hype because they have something recently released. Not always, but enough for it to be a phenomenon.

To me, this wouldn't even be in the Top 10 of 2010. Overall, this album deserves a rating of 6/10

Overall, this album deserves a rating of 6/10

Hmmm ..., that's a pretty harsh rating !

Pretty obvious that's a rating from someone who doesn't enjoy Melodic Rock in general. You'd have to be deaf or a non Melodic Rock fan not to rate this among the very best in the past 10 years when it comes to the genre.

I don't rate albums from genres I don't enjoy, it's obvious to these ears that I won't like 'em in the first place, so why bother. If I had to rate my wife's top forty dance/pop stuff it would all get thumbs down.

Well I am a huge fan of melodic rock, and I was seriously underwhelmed by this one as well.

Its all a matter of personal opinion, not being deaf or not a fan of the genre at all.

It's not that this is a bad album, its just nowhere near as outstanding to me as other people seem to think it is.

I'd take pretty much the whole Gotthard catalogue, over this one as thats who this album reminds me of, and Gotthard is so much better.

Its a shame really as 'Go' on the greatest hits package is one of my favourite tracks in recent years.

Pretty obvious that's a rating from someone who doesn't enjoy Melodic Rock in general. You'd have to be deaf or a non Melodic Rock fan not to rate this among the very best in the past 10 years when it comes to the genre.

I don't rate albums from genres I don't enjoy, it's obvious to these ears that I won't like 'em in the first place, so why bother. If I had to rate my wife's top forty dance/pop stuff it would all get thumbs down.

Please brush up on your logic. Not liking ONE album has absolutely no logical jump to that's a rating from someone who doesn't enjoy Melodic Rock in general

It's kinda like saying, That guy doesn't like Barry Bonds....he must not be a baseball fan

Not liking the Treat is where we find lack of logic. :D

It wasn't a personal stab intended with my reply. All I read was the quote of Overall, this album deserves a rating of 6/10. I had no clue who wrote it when I posted my comment.

• My Little Pony

I don't like Treat either. They suck.

:nyanya:

Hahaha....fooled you. I think Treat are excellent, especially the new disc. The absolute best release this year. Period.

I was about ready to kick you in the balls, then I noticed the latter half. Good on ya.