TREAT - COUP DE GRACE

rockdoc

Just listened to it for the first couple times and unlike Glen, I don't think this is their best album ('Dreamhunter' kills this and song for song, 'Organised Crime' is right on it's shoes aswell). I also think that the best songs on the Reckless Love disc (ie 5-8) are better than the strongest songs on here, although the Treat is more consistent throughout, but that is down to personal preference. It is very good though, i'll give it that, so probably somewhere around an 86-88% from me.

Dreamhunter?? lol. Mate i'll have to listen to that on the way home but from memory this slaughters Dreamhunter in every department. The only track on Dreamhunter I would say could sit comfortably on the new album is 'World Of Promises'.

I wouldnt rate Dreamhunter as high as Organised Crime, and for me the newie is better than Organised Crime as well.

The last 4 tracks on Coup De Grace in particular are just stunning IMO.

Tastes differ though of course, its just that I like the new stuff better.

You forgot 'Best Of Me', 'Take Me On Your Wings', 'One Way To Glory' & Sole Survivor' for starters, all better songs than anything on 'Coup..' imo

Err, no I havent forgetten them...its just that I think 'World Of Promises' is by far the best track on that album

But as I said I will re-listen to that album on the way home tonight and re-confirm my thoughts.

Cheers

Well as good as this album is (and have only played it twice since getting it yesterday) it simply can't touch "Dreamhunter". In fact, not many AOR albums ever have come that close to topping that killer album. That album, and "Organised Crime" will always be the best Treat discs IMHO as they're highly unlikely to top such discs, but "Coup De Grace" is still a stunning disc and easily as good as anything we could've expected from them in 2010. Best album of the year so far IMO...

I think that's the deal...Dreamhunter is definitely more AOR than Coup De Grace, which is definitely killer MHR to these ears.

I really dont get all the fuss over 'Dreamhunter'. Yeah its a cool enough album, but IMO 'Coup' absolutely kills it stone dead, in every department.

Personal tastes eh??

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This CD is absolutely the best album I have heard in a long time this is there best effert to date !! Each to there own I guess!

I'm gonna go with Rockdoc here. This is a fantastic album and by far their best effort ever imo! This cd is just loaded with huge hooks and massive choruses. I'm really surprised more people aren't drooling over this release. I would think that this is exactly what lovers of HH would be looking for. Treat have outdone themselves here.

This CD is absolutely the best album I have heard in a long time this is there best effert to date !! Each to there own I guess!

I'm gonna go with Rockdoc here. This is a fantastic album and by far their best effort ever imo! This cd is just loaded with huge hooks and massive choruses. I'm really surprised more people aren't drooling over this release. I would think that this is exactly what lovers of HH would be looking for. Treat have outdone themselves here.

The only reason I'm not drooling over it yet is because it's not out here yet. :lol: You can rest assured that once it's hit my ears I'll be all over this thread with my salivation.

Surprised by comments it's better than 'Dreamhunter' and *GASP* surely not 'Organised Crime'? Considering that's pretty much my favourite melodic hard rock disc of all time I must admit I'm a little excited.

Surprised by comments it's better than 'Dreamhunter' and *GASP* surely not 'Organised Crime'? Considering that's pretty much my favourite melodic hard rock disc of all time I must admit I'm a little excited.

It's not mate, don't worry, although not a million miles away, sitting proudly third in their catologue. ;)

It's not mate, don't worry, although not a million miles away, sitting proudly third in their catologue. ;)

Yeah, I'll be surprised if it overtakes those two albums personally, but either way, the fact that it is that good really has me excited. It's one thing for your favourite band to record a new album, but another thing entirely for them to record something that rivals their best work. :)

Yeah, I'll be surprised if it overtakes those two albums personally, but either way, the fact that it is that good really has me excited. It's one thing for your favourite band to record a new album, but another thing entirely for them to record something that rivals their best work. :)

Its all gonna depend on which sound you like best. If you prefer the glossy 80s sound/production then Dreamhunter/OC will still do it. Coup is much more a true MHR album with very little in the way of keys - but for me the songs are just better. Kick arse choruses and solos all over this baby. I love their earlier albums, but for me this is a whole new level....and having read some of the band's comments its what they think too.

To quote them 'its the album we'll show/play to our grand kids'....my they've got all serious on us ;-)

Great album tho.

Okay, just got this one today (together with Crazy Lixx' newbie), gave it a couple of spins and I gotta say this is even better than I expected!

Fantastic production, a lot of energy and superb song-writing all around...to me their best album to date!

I'd probably rate this about an 85/100. It starts a bit slowly and all the best songs are towards the end, but the production is killer and I love the solo-ing. I don't usually name the ballads as my fave tracks but "A Life To Die For" is just a monster and is the standout here IMO.

I'd probably rate this about an 85/100. It starts a bit slowly and all the best songs are towards the end, but the production is killer and I love the solo-ing. I don't usually name the ballads as my fave tracks but "A Life To Die For" is just a monster and is the standout here IMO.

Mate, sometimes your comments puzzle me. Starts slowly?? OK, 'all in' isnt quite up to the standard of the whole album, but 'War Is Over', 'Paper Tiger' and 'Roar' are all awesome in my book.

& your standout track, I have down as a sugary sweet ballad ...definitely in the bottom 3 or 4 tracks.

Ho hum

I do agree however the the best songs are at the end....the last 4 tracks are all stunning.

Mate, sometimes your comments puzzle me. Starts slowly?? OK, 'all in' isnt quite up to the standard of the whole album, but 'War Is Over', 'Paper Tiger' and 'Roar' are all awesome in my book.

& your standout track, I have down as a sugary sweet ballad ...definitely in the bottom 3 or 4 tracks.

Ho hum

I do agree however the the best songs are at the end....the last 4 tracks are all stunning.

Well "A Life To Die For" maybe a little sugary, but it has nowhere near the cheese that Danger Danger's "Fugitive" has...

Ho hum

Well "A Life To Die For" maybe a little sugary, but it has nowhere near the cheese that Danger Danger's "Fugitive" has...

backed...one of the few tracks that I skip on 'Revolve'.

In all honesty I quite like both tracks, but no way would I rank either song near the best tracks on the respective albums.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew at Melodicrock.com just scored this one 100%. Now I'm even more anxious for it to arrive in the post.

Andrew at Melodicroc.com just scored this one 100%. Now I'm even more anxious for it to arrive in the post.

I could see that coming. I don't think it's that good but there really is very little to skip on this disc and it's definitely my highlight of the year so far...

No way is this a 100% disc. That means it's perfect in every way and unfortunately nothing is perfect. It is very good I'll give it that, but perfect no. I'll score it an 88/90

Auras 91% and Stage Dolls 68% - Something not quite right there either imo. ;).

Not 100%. Nothing is 100%. On my personal scale, I would put it in the low-to-mid 90s. Album of the year contender? Definitely. Best album of all time (which is what a 100% should be)? No way.

Andrew has gotten more and more top-heavy in his review scoring over the last few years...

-Dan

Finally, a band best known for their work in the 80's that releases an album in 2010 that sounds fresh without sacrificing their roots (take note Jon Bon Jovi).

Modern? Only in the sense that it was released like yesterday. Dated? Only if you think 40-somethings can't still rock. Good? **** yeah it is!

God I wish all 80's bands planning on releasing albums in the new milennium would listen to this one first and realize you don't need to sound like Nickelback or be covered on American Idol to be considered contemporary.

Interesting to note that, as other people have mentioned, if you didn't know beforehand who you were listening to, it sounds incredibly like current and recent Gotthard.

(and that's NOT a bad thing IMO)

-Dan

While I'm not a guitar expert (Pete, please feel to chime in if you're lurking), I absolutely love the fact Treat didn't tune-down their guitars for this album. I am so sick and tired of the "modern" sound whereby once melodic guitarists completely change their tone and end up sounding dark and boring.

Melodic rock isn't dark nor boring, it's sunny skies and 85 degrees with the windows rolled down on the way to the lake. Listen to Paper Tiger... sounds like 1985 all over again from a guitar standpoint. AWESOME!

I think it's a great album. I just love it. I think it's their finest moment up to date. Wikström kan really write good songs. But 100 %, no but it will be very high up in the my album of the year list.

So why do I think this is such a great Treat album. The songs are really good, Wikström has grown as a song writer and can really write great, catchy songs nowadays, especially with Thomander. Robban Ernlund has never sung so good, He sings his heart out on this album (and he is 52 now, unbelivable). I think he was one of the weakest links in early Treat (some will propably kill me for this), especially live. I saw them live a number of times in the eighties and he was way out now and then during the gigs. The production is also good (not just copied the Treat sound from 80-90-ies) with some modern inluences.

Andrew gave it a 100% I give it 1000% . This CD will be the BEST release of 2010 !!!! I am sure everyone agrees with me!+!+__+#_#+!@_!

Sorry but no cd is perfect. this is very good but it certainly isnt perfect.

The quality is very good throughout with at least 4 or 5 killer songs.

'All In' is a dip in quality tho and the big ballad is far too sugary.

That said it is the best album they have done and is sitting top of pile so far in 2010.