Wigwam

rockdoc

Man I hope I'm alone with my opinion on this (for the sake of the band), but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with this. Can't see it near my top ten come year end, to be honest. Some killer songs (as always) but a lot more fillers than usual. Starting out with the first two songs - 'Do Ya Wanna Taste It' and 'Walls Come Down' and then ending with the last two pretty awful songs - 'Chasing Rainbows' and 'Gotta Get It On'. Four fillers right off the bat.

'Wild one', 'Still I'm burning', 'All you wanted' and 'Rocket Through My Heart' will be four of the best songs of the year - but where are the rest that sound like these? These four songs, to me, is what Wig Wam is about but there is a severe shortage this time round. Love these, though.

'C'mon everybody' is only okay and the title track is the fifth best song but like Jez said earlier the two ballads, 'Man in the moon' and 'From here' aren't that great. I actually like both songs, but both have pretty weak hooks.

Anyway, only 5 songs really work for me on this album, which is a pretty unfortunate strike rate, imo. Still love the band, but this is easily their weakest disc, imo.

Uh-oh...I hope you're wrong Geoff. I just put in my order for this at NEH Records. This is one my top bands ever. But, to be fair, one can't expect a band to bat 100% forever. I'll forgive them if there's a couple of fillers on this release.

Definitely, without a doubt still worth owning. But yeah, I guess the band themselves have set some amazingly high standards to live up to and can be forgiven for, imo, a minor slip.

My CD just arrived and it is there best CD to date ..... Get it if you have not .....http://www.nehrecords.com has had them since Friday !!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely pleased to hear the comments that it's more melodic rock than glam this time, as I really liked the scandi mhr feel of the debut album (tracks like "No More Livin' On Lies") much more so than the last one. Each album has had too many fillers on it though IMO....

I'm definitely pleased to hear the comments that it's more melodic rock than glam this time, as I really liked the scandi mhr feel of the debut album (tracks like "No More Livin' On Lies") much more so than the last one. Each album has had too many fillers on it though IMO....

Mate - The best tracks on here are just about up with anything they have done previously. I wouldn't say it is overall better than the first 2 albums, as they both had great songs throughout (and filler as you correctly point out) but it is a really strong disc with some really strong tunes and slips in neatly alongside thew other 2, so buy with confidence.

Man I hope I'm alone with my opinion on this (for the sake of the band), but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with this. Can't see it near my top ten come year end, to be honest. Some killer songs (as always) but a lot more fillers than usual....

... Anyway, only 5 songs really work for me on this album, which is a pretty unfortunate strike rate, imo. Still love the band, but this is easily their weakest disc, imo.

Man. You are :screwy:. Atleast you like a few songs on the album I guess. But after your proposed 'Best Of 2009' Winner, I will not bother looking at your "Best of 2010' List.

:D

Who said it's more melodic rock than glam? Someone's been lying to you, mate. :lol: It's exactly the same style as they've always been, imo. The second album was by far their most melodic, imo.

Man I hope I'm alone with my opinion on this (for the sake of the band), but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with this. Can't see it near my top ten come year end, to be honest. Some killer songs (as always) but a lot more fillers than usual....

... Anyway, only 5 songs really work for me on this album, which is a pretty unfortunate strike rate, imo. Still love the band, but this is easily their weakest disc, imo.

Man. You are :screwy:. Atleast you like a few songs on the album I guess. But after your proposed 'Best Of 2009' Winner, I will not bother looking at your "Best of 2010' List.

:D

I bet you will.

Like every Wig Wam release this one has plenty of filler tracks and some absolute killer ones as well. I bet if we all made a best of mix, we would nearly all have the same titles from those 3 releases. For some reason the filler sounds a little better on the new one. Imagine if they actually put out a filler free release, it would be pure magic.

When it comes to the big 3 in new Scandi Melodic Rock, I always place Wig Wam in 3rd because of too much filler, with The Poodles in 2nd with very little filler and Brother Firetribe in 1st because other than the really bad I am Rock, they are filler free.

Here would be the essential 10 tracks from Wig Wam that I would need to put on my personal best of

In My Dreams

Hard To Be Rock N Roller

Bless The Night

Gonna Get You Someday

Bygone Zone

Daredevil Heat

Slave To Your Love

Wild One

Still I'm Burning

All You Wanted

Like every Wig Wam release this one has plenty of filler tracks and some absolute killer ones as well. I bet if we all made a best of mix, we would nearly all have the same titles from those 3 releases. For some reason the filler sounds a little better on the new one. Imagine if they actually put out a filler free release, it would be pure magic.

When it comes to the big 3 in new Scandi Melodic Rock, I always place Wig Wam in 3rd because of too much filler, with The Poodles in 2nd with very little filler and Brother Firetribe in 1st because other than the really bad I am Rock, they are filler free.

Here would be the essential 10 tracks from Wig Wam that I would need to put on my personal best of

In My Dreams

Hard To Be Rock N Roller

Bless The Night

Gonna Get You Someday

Bygone Zone

Daredevil Heat

Slave To Your Love

Wild One

Still I'm Burning

All You Wanted

Some good choices there mate, but I'd have to swap "No More Livin' On Lies" for the title-track from the debut...

I agree as much as the next guy that there's been a few fillers on each CD, but let's not get crazy now. I think there were only about 2 or 3 on each of the first two albums if I recall correctly. Mostly, those albums are fantastic.

I got my copy of the new Wig Wam in the mail today and just gave it a full spin. And why O why did they have to do a digipack? Anyway, back on track. This is another darn good release by these glam metal masters. I don't think it's better than "Wig Wamania" though. "Wig Wamania" ranks as one of my all time favorite glam metal albums. But this new release flows very nicely as well. I thought production on this new release was probably their best yet. Yes, I can see what a couple people have said about there being several fillers on this, which is true. But, the fist-pumping anthems far outweigh the decent fillers. Bravo to a band that continues to bring their game!

Man I hope I'm alone with my opinion on this (for the sake of the band), but I have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with this. Can't see it near my top ten come year end, to be honest. Some killer songs (as always) but a lot more fillers than usual. Starting out with the first two songs - 'Do Ya Wanna Taste It' and 'Walls Come Down' and then ending with the last two pretty awful songs - 'Chasing Rainbows' and 'Gotta Get It On'. Four fillers right off the bat.

'Wild one', 'Still I'm burning', 'All you wanted' and 'Rocket Through My Heart' will be four of the best songs of the year - but where are the rest that sound like these? These four songs, to me, is what Wig Wam is about but there is a severe shortage this time round. Love these, though.

'C'mon everybody' is only okay and the title track is the fifth best song but like Jez said earlier the two ballads, 'Man in the moon' and 'From here' aren't that great. I actually like both songs, but both have pretty weak hooks.

Anyway, only 5 songs really work for me on this album, which is a pretty unfortunate strike rate, imo. Still love the band, but this is easily their weakest disc, imo.

Just as a follow-up to this, I was maybe a little harsh on the first 2 tracks. I'd throw those two in with the average but not filler category. Basically, here's my breakdown of the disc:

Killer tracks:

Wild One

Still I'm Burning

All You Wanted

Rocket Through My Heart

Great track:

Non Stop Rock And Roll

Average songs on the brink of fillerdom, but not quite there. Listenable, just because they're Wig Wam:

Do Ya Wanna Taste It

Walls Come Down

Man In The Moon

From Here

And the terrible must-skip fillers:

C'mon Everybody

Chasing Rainbows

Gotta Get It On (Bonus track)

For the record, this is still the 2nd best CD I've heard this year (Behind Taking Dawn) so despite it's flaws, I definitely don't dislike it. Just a little disappointed is all.

The reason you don't like Walls Comes Down is because it sounds like the Norse sound that The Poodles did on Sweet Trade. I for one like it. The bonus track and the ballads are the real fillers here. For an album called Non Stop Rock & Roll those ballads sure don't live up to it.

Just as a follow-up to this, I was maybe a little harsh on the first 2 tracks. I'd throw those two in with the average but not filler category. Basically, here's my breakdown of the disc:

Killer tracks:

Wild One

Still I'm Burning

All You Wanted

Rocket Through My Heart

Great track:

Non Stop Rock And Roll

Average songs on the brink of fillerdom, but not quite there. Listenable, just because they're Wig Wam:

Do Ya Wanna Taste It

Walls Come Down

Man In The Moon

From Here

C'mon Everybody

Chasing Rainbows

For the record, this is still the 2nd best CD I've heard this year (Behind Taking Dawn) so despite it's flaws, I definitely don't dislike it. Just a little disappointed is all.

I've only played it once but I was dissapointed it as well especially when compared to excellence of the first two discs.

Killer tracks:

Wild One

Still I'm Burning

All You Wanted

Rocket Through My Heart

Great track:

Non Stop Rock And Roll

Do Ya Wanna Taste It

Walls Come Down

Man In The Moon

From Here

C'mon Everybody

Chasing Rainbows

I've only played it once but I was dissapointed it as well especially when compared to excellence of the first two discs.

I was so pumped for this release I said it was great but once I have listened to it a couple times it is not as good as what I first thought . There are a few good songs but nothing like I first thought . Sometimes you have to give a CD a few spins .... Best track is Rocket TO My Heart !! Best song from them I think !!

Received this one today and gave it a couple of spins. I am probably the only one who was a bit disappointed with Wig Wamania after the excellent Hard to be a R'nRer, as it contained quite a few weaker tacks towards the end and overall was much too short.

I'm glad they left off any instrumentals this time and I like the grittier sound they now have. The disc is missing a real stand-out track like "In my Dreams" or "Gonna get you Someday" on the previous discs, but there are once again quite a few gems hidden on Non Stop Rock'n'Roll ("Wild One", "Still I'm Burnin'", "Rocket through my Heart" or "Chasing Rainbows"). I agree on "From here" being rather weak and I think "All you wanted" isn't really that good, but overall I'd say this is pretty consistent.

Wig Wam are still doing their thing very well, but somehow my excitement for the band has faded over the last 4 years, mainly because there are even newer bands, which are doing it even better imo. Non Stop Rock'n'Roll is a very good album, but somehow I doubt that it will end up in my Top 10 at the end of the year!

Hansel for early leader of 2010 IMO.

Yep, very good one !! :headbanger:

Whereas a new WigWam album is never going to get close to my Top 10, this is definitely better than I expected & well worth picking up. Putting aside the shoddy quality of the packaging (this contains the worst digipack in music history) there are more melodic numbers than I expected. Stuff like the killer "Wild One", "Rocket...", "Still I'm Burning" are all great tunes - and even the title track is decent (if a bit generic for my tastes). As others have mentioned, really disappointed with the ballads & "Walls Come Down" and "Chasing Rainbows" are seriously bad songs. Plus it's a million miles from the quality & standards they set on their debut. That said, I'm really liking this one....

some great tracks, but still trailing Hansel for early leader of 2010 IMO.

Taking Dawn >>>>>>>>>>>> Hansel > Wigwam

so far in 2010

[havent heard Giant yet]

After having Non Stop Rock And Roll for over a week now, the best term to define the album is SAFE. They played it real safe and tried very little in the way of breaking new ground.

This one has no real stand out track, maybe Rocket Through My Heart or Wild One have the best chance at being the one song. Even the vocals are safe, no over the top pipes like on Dare Devil Heat or Bless The Night.

I find the solos very are tame on this one, the only track that stands out is the shred fest solo on Walls Come Down.

Still I'm Burning has a great chorus but the lead vocals, I presume aren't done by Glam, thus weakening the song. The ballads still suck even after hearing them a few times, as does the bonus track.

It's a good release, would it have made my top 10 of 2008, no way, 2009, I doubt it and as for 2010, who knows. I hope to find 10 better releases than this by the end of the year.

After having Non Stop Rock And Roll for over a week now, the best term to define the album is SAFE. They played it real safe and tried very little in the way of breaking new ground.

This one has no real stand out track, maybe Rocket Through My Heart or Wild One have the best chance at being the one song. Even the vocals are safe, no over the top pipes like on Dare Devil Heat or Bless The Night.

I find the solos very are tame on this one, the only track that stands out is the shred fest solo on Walls Come Down.

Still I'm Burning has a great chorus but the lead vocals, I presume aren't done by Glam, thus weakening the song. The ballads still suck even after hearing them a few times, as does the bonus track.

It's a good release, would it have made my top 10 of 2008, no way, 2009, I doubt it and as for 2010, who knows. I hope to find 10 better releases than this by the end of the year.

Yes, that's a good review. Exactly my thoughts ! :drink:

so far in 2010

[havent heard Giant yet]

I have to admit I actually just prefer the Wigwam disc over Hansel. The killer tracks on Wigwam are far better than anything on the Hansel disc imo. Either way, no doubt Taking Dawn pummels both of them. Oh, and don't bother to reserve a place in the list for Giant, mate. :lol: Not bad, but not a contender either, imo.

On a side note, funny to see everyone pretty much agrees on the best and worst songs on this new Wigwam CD... don't often see that here.

so far in 2010

[havent heard Giant yet]

I have to admit I actually just prefer the Wigwam disc over Hansel. The killer tracks on Wigwam are far better than anything on the Hansel disc imo. Either way, no doubt Taking Dawn pummels both of them. Oh, and don't bother to reserve a place in the list for Giant, mate. :lol: Not bad, but not a contender either, imo.

On a side note, funny to see everyone pretty much agrees on the best and worst songs on this new Wigwam CD... don't often see that here.

I dunno, I love that Hansel disc. Cheesy as hell, but i like it.

Nothing so far (MHR) can compete with that Taking Dawn disc tho.........man that is one killer album!

so far in 2010

[havent heard Giant yet]

I dunno, I love that Hansel disc. Cheesy as hell, but i like it.

Yeah, I do like it. I don't know... songs just aren't fully sticking with me. 'Eruption' and of course 'Murder 101' are gems... but the rest? I dunno... all solid but not really blowing my mind. More spins still needed and we'll see how it goes.

Basically, it is very evident to me that Wigwam have been doing this a couple of decades as opposed to Hansel who have only been doing it for a couple of years. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow this is getting such mxed reviews that I've held off buying it even though I dig the first 2.

Speaking of which does anyone know where I can get the Jap version of the 1st album?