W.E.T. what does everyone think of it ?

rockdoc

"Hey guys, I'm Wes and I suck."

"Hi Wes, and welcome to 'I Suck Anonymous'. Please take a seat next to fellow HH member SUICIDE." ;)

I'm just hear to speak the truth. :geoffadillos:

Seriously though I do hope it grows on me but I think I was just expecting something more after all the hype.

Yeah cousin, to each their own. I'm just aching to get out the office (been stuck here for an hour waiting for someone) and I'm bored... but I seriously though you'd like this.

One thing I have to know, when you guys say Talisman is better that this you just mean the debut, right? 'Cause I'd agree these two albums are in a class of their own but the rest of the Talisman discography is dodgy as hell at best, and imo is not even close to this album. I'll even give you the Eyes debut too as that kicks a whole heap of ass. But you don't mean to say this WET CD is as weak as the filler-a-minute Talisman albums like 'Genesis', 'Cats and dogs' and whatever other filler-ridden messes they released, do you?

AOR-by-numbers? Cousin, what AOR are you listening to and where do I get a piece of it? :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey guys, I'm Wes and I suck."

"Hi Wes, and welcome to 'I Suck Anonymous'. Please take a seat next to fellow HH member SUICIDE." ;)

I'm just hear to speak the truth. :geoffadillos:

Seriously though I do hope it grows on me but I think I was just expecting something more after all the hype.

Yeah cousin, to each their own. I'm just aching to get out the office (been stuck here for an hour waiting for someone) and I'm bored... but I seriously though you'd like this.

One thing I have to know, when you guys say Talisman is better that this you just mean the debut, right? 'Cause I'd agree these two albums are in a class of their own but the rest of the Talisman discography is dodgy as hell at best, and imo is not even close to this album. I'll even give you the Eyes debut too as that kicks a whole heap of ass. But you don't mean to say this WET CD is as weak as the filler-a-minute Talisman albums like 'Genesis', 'Cats and dogs' and whatever other filler-ridden messes they released, do you?

AOR-by-numbers? Cousin, what AOR are you listening to and where do I get a piece of it? :lol:

Maybe the AOR by numbers comment was over board but hey I was on a roll so I went with it. :lol:

To be honest I think the Talisman debut is great and all but I really prefer Humananimal.

Again maybe my expectations were just waaaaay to high but I'm sure I'll like it more the more spins I give it, at least I hope I do.

I'm about half way through this and I have to admit that this might be the most overrated cd ever.

I'm not sure how this got a 100 over at Melodicrock since IMO it barely should earn a 90. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure it will grow on me after a few more spins but so far to these ears it's just AOR by numbers and not anything near as good as what JSS has done with Talisman or even Eyes in the past. I sure hope this does grow on me since I did have high hopes for this one but so far I'm not to impressed(ducks to avoid flying objects).

I'm actually with you on this Wes. I was so looking forward to this. But it didn't blow me away at all. There are a few songs like "One love" that are extraordinary but as a hole is not that great IMO. I even think there are more memorable songs on the last Eclipse album. I will propably be shot down in flames by this comment ;)

I'm about half way through this and I have to admit that this might be the most overrated cd ever.

I'm not sure how this got a 100 over at Melodicrock since IMO it barely should earn a 90. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure it will grow on me after a few more spins but so far to these ears it's just AOR by numbers and not anything near as good as what JSS has done with Talisman or even Eyes in the past. I sure hope this does grow on me since I did have high hopes for this one but so far I'm not to impressed(ducks to avoid flying objects).

Good onya mate :tumbsup:

Love to hear ones honest thoughts than someone who feels they just have to join the flock and hence the reason I take onboard your opinions :drink:

Love to hear ones honest thoughts than someone who feels they just have to join the flock and hence the reason I take onboard your opinions :drink:

I dont really think anyone on this board 'joins a flock'....I sure as hell dont.

I just really love this album.

All down to personal taste at the end of the day.

Thanks Dave. :headbanger:

I do hope this sinks in better and I'm sure it will but as I mentioned above maybe it was just the hype that has me dissapointed on this one. One other things is I was hoping it was going to rock a little more like the new House of Lords does.

I finally got this one int he mail yesterday. Damn good stuff, I still prefer the Eclipse from last year, although I only got it this year. The W.E.T. will make my top 5, I'm sure of it, with killer songs like One Love, Brothers In Arms and If I Fall, you can't deny this one being among the best of year.

I simply think the hype with articles after articles and the 100% rating on Meloricrock had put this one upon a pedestal so high that it only had one place to go....down. This was advertised by many as the next coming of Christ. Overhyping, killed this one. Even I felt dissapointed, I was expecting the best CD ever!!!!! Had this one come out of nowhere, it would have taken alot less harsh critisism and the praise would have been more uniform.

I do hope this sinks in better and I'm sure it will but as I mentioned above maybe it was just the hype that has me dissapointed on this one. One other things is I was hoping it was going to rock a little more like the new House of Lords does.

Wes - please don't tell me you like the HOL album more than this one? We're gonna properly fall-out.... :D

I dont really think anyone on this board 'joins a flock'....I sure as hell dont.

Yeah, I don't see that often here either. Maybe a little on some of the more supposedly "classic" older bands... but not on the new stuff at all.

But as others have stated, there is no doubt at all that the hype surrounding this release has killed it for some. Which leads to two things. People like Wes who have been told it is amazing and it doesn't quite live up to the expectation. And then there's the second type of person (who annoy the shit out of me!) who seem to get a kick out of panning highly regarded releases, even if I often think they're doing it for the sake of it rather than offering a completely honest opinion. :)

Bahhh Bahhh Bahhhh!!

The Jeff Scott Soto fan club

Flock_of_sheep.jpg

:rofl2: The humour of Jez......He never disappoints :tumbsup:

Wes - please don't tell me you like the HOL album more than this one? We're gonna properly fall-out.... :D

So far yes I do like the HOL better but I am man enough to admit that I was wrong about the WET disc as I like it much more after playing it more. Watching the DVD has helped with seeing the videos a couple of times and watching the interviews and hearing all of the tunes play on that. So yeah this is much much better than I thought it was and it is growing on me quickly.

Yeah I agree, I don't think it has anything to do with 'joining the flock', it's just that some people really dig this album and some don't. Aside from Andrew giving this a 100% rating, I don't think its been over hyped.

I'd give the album 90%, probably slightly less but I still love it and it will definately be in my top 5 for 2009.

Yeah I agree, I don't think it has anything to do with 'joining the flock', it's just that some people really dig this album and some don't. Aside from Andrew giving this a 100% rating, I don't think its been over hyped.

I'd give the album 90%, probably slightly less but I still love it and it will definately be in my top 5 for 2009.

Listened to this yesterday... first few songs are great! But then i fell asleep.. literally..

I think the downside of this cd is JSS though.. as much as i like him, his voice gets a bit annoying at times on this cd..

I'm a little underwhelmed by it, I think I must be completely losing faith in the AOR genre though.

Plus I'm not the biggest fan of JSS's voice and didn't think he fitted so well into Journey when I saw them ..... sure he's a good singer, but great? On this he sounds very one dimensional and honestly sounds like he's singing with a sock stuck in his throat muffling his voice, it sounds like his voice is restrained and can't break free. I think my fave album by him (that I've heard) is Love Parade (supposedly one of his weaker ones too!).

There are some good songs on here notably near the start Invincible, One Love and Comes Down Like Rain and near the end My Everything and the derivative track If I Fall which although good I can't take seriously and it must have been put on as a joke, hence it's inclusion at the end (and as Dan pointed out the big F.U. to Journey).

But really at a stretch I'd give this 65%

and the derivative track If I Fall which although good I can't take seriously and it must have been put on as a joke, hence it's inclusion at the end

now im really confused.......what the fuck is that supposed to mean??

its one of the best tracks ive heard all year, so i do wish there had been a lot more 'joke' tracks in 2009!

I think the only reason its at the end is that it is a killer track and closes the album brilliantly.

Over and out.

and the derivative track If I Fall which although good I can't take seriously and it must have been put on as a joke, hence it's inclusion at the end

its one of the best tracks ive heard all year, so i do wish there had been a lot more 'joke' tracks in 2009!

I think the only reason its at the end is that it is a killer track and closes the album brilliantly.

Over and out.

Backed. Bring on more 'joke' tracks! I'd say it's one of the best AOR songs I've heard in 5 years or so. Sure it follows the Journey formula to a tee, but then Journey have been constantly trying to live up to their past anyway by continuously hiring singers who sound exactly like Steve Perry. They've made absolutely zero progression in the past 20 years. In fact, I bet they'd have chopped some limbs-off to have written a song as good as this one.

Over and out.

Backed. Bring on more 'joke' tracks! I'd say it's one of the best AOR songs I've heard in 5 years or so. Sure it follows the Journey formula to a tee, but then Journey have been constantly trying to live up to their past anyway by continuously hiring singers who sound exactly like Steve Perry. They've made absolutely zero progression in the past 20 years. In fact, I bet they'd have chopped some limbs-off to have written a song as good as this one.

im confused.. listening to it now... whats so "joke" about it?

Over and out.

We've had quite enough joke tracks this year thanx very much, although i certainly don't class this as one.

Journey made at least 5 songs as good as 'If I Fall' on 'Revelation' if my memory serves me well (which it does in this instance). Zero progression! Who cares if they keep on releasing albums as good as 'Revelation' I say.

Over and out.

If you noticed I said it was a good track, but I think it's a bit daft putting a track on an album, especially your first with which I hope you would want to define the band - which is such an obvious rip off of the band you were so unceremoniously kicked out of, what does it prove, that he should have stayed the singer with Journey?? Or that he's mired in regret and bitterness?

Either way it's a good track ... one of the best AOR songs of the last 5 years?? If so the old AOR scene REALLY is fucked - anyhoo there were better tracks on the Work of Art album for starters! I think you interpreted the word Joke too literally, I meant to ME it was a joke or mistake if you will putting such a track on the album and again possibly why it was put at the end of the album - NOT that the track was supposed to be funny. :rolleyes:

Over and out.

If you noticed I said it was a good track, but I think it's a bit daft putting a track on an album, especially your first with which I hope you would want to define the band - which is such an obvious rip off of the band you were so unceremoniously kicked out of, what does it prove, that he should have stayed the singer with Journey?? Or that he's mired in regret and bitterness?

Either way it's a good track ... one of the best AOR songs of the last 5 years?? If so the old AOR scene REALLY is fucked - anyhoo there were better tracks on the Work of Art album for starters! I think you interpreted the word Joke too literally, I meant to ME it was a joke or mistake if you will putting such a track on the album and again possibly why it was put at the end of the album - NOT that the track was supposed to be funny. :rolleyes:

Yeah is a fair point. I think there's definitely a statement there by putting the song on the end - though it's still written by the same songwriters as the rest of the disc I think (don't have the CD to-hand). I agree with Andrew @ Melodicrock though, regardless of who it sounds like & what JSS is trying to say with the song it's quite frankly just a MONSTER AOR song & should be appreciated as such IMO rather than compared to anyone else....

Over and out.

Yeah is a fair point. I think there's definitely a statement there by putting the song on the end - though it's still written by the same songwriters as the rest of the disc I think (don't have the CD to-hand). I agree with Andrew @ Melodicrock though, regardless of who it sounds like & what JSS is trying to say with the song it's quite frankly just a MONSTER AOR song & should be appreciated as such IMO rather than compared to anyone else....

Agreed...lets stop the fussin an a fuedin' :lol: After all it's only my two cents worth...which may be exactly what my opinion is worth haha!

As I said in another thread I think 'If I fall' is a fantastic song and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. But, I thought 'Revelation' was a great CD and by far the best I've heard from Journey - but if you ask me 'If you fall' is still much, much better than anything on it. In all honesty, if Journey wrote songs anywhere near as good as 'If you fall' I would sure as hell be a fan.

As I said in another thread I think 'If I fall' is a fantastic song and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. But, I thought 'Revelation' was a great CD and by far the best I've heard from Journey - but if you ask me 'If you fall' is still much, much better than anything on it. In all honesty, if Journey wrote songs anywhere near as good as 'If you fall' I would sure as hell be a fan.

'If I Fall' is compared to Journey for a reason mate.....you need to open yr lugholes sometimes.

Your continual damning of all things Journey, always confuses me. They have several excellent albums chock full of great AOR songs. Cant really see whats not to like about them.

But really at a stretch I'd give this 65%

Same for me.

Pretty good album for sure but i'm a bit disappointed. And I seriously don't understand such high appreciations on melodicrock.com which rate the disc at 100% (??!!)... For me it's a very good album, of course, but "a bit" overrated.