New OVERKILL

Fat Freddy

Hellz yeah!! I read on Blabbermouth a few days ago that my boys Overkill have signed a new multi album deal with Nuclear Blast Records and that their new album, "IRONBOUND" will be released in January of 2010. Bring it on fellas!!

Peep the SWEET ASS cover art:

OverkillIronbound.jpg

:beerbang:

not really into thrash, but in the 80's 83 or 84 maybe, I drove to NJersey from SJersey and remember the band was called Overkill and they were thrash, I may have had an audition for them , not sure? hahaha all I remember was I was glammed out and they were not that type of band!!!! hahaha

I guess there a few bands called Overkill!!!! hahaha

not really into thrash, but in the 80's 83 or 84 maybe, I drove to NJersey from SJersey and remember the band was called Overkill and they were thrash, I may have had an audition for them , not sure? hahaha all I remember was I was glammed out and they were not that type of band!!!! hahaha

This Overkill is from New Jersey. It must've been the same band.

The only other two "Overkills" that I know of were from L.A. and a British one from the NWOBHM era.

By the way, I read on Blabbermouth today that the deal w/Nuclear Blast is apparently for Europe only--- it sez the album will come out in the U.S. on "E1 Music," which is a sub-label of Koch Records.

...for those of you who might actually care about that sort of thing.

And I must say that IRONBOUND is a very appropriate title for an Overkill CD. Not only cuz it just sounds so dang METAL, but also cuz "Ironbound" is the nickname of a section of the city of Newark, so they're droppin' some props to their home state as well. :beerbang:

This Overkill is from New Jersey. It must've been the same band.

The only other two "Overkills" that I know of were from L.A. and a British one from the NWOBHM era.

yes I am pretty sure it was them, but the bassist is listed to be in the band since 1980? so, hmmmm

hahaha

yes I am pretty sure it was them, but the bassist is listed to be in the band since 1980? so, hmmmm

hahaha

Yep, the band was founded by bassist Carlo (aka DD) Verni around 80-81.

• 3 months later...

IRONBOUND is out now... haven't picked it up for myself yet but plan to do so ASAF'n'P...

Here's the video for the first single, "Bring Me the Night" -- sweeeeeeet! :banger:

Happy days, looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Great band, I saw them live in 2009 and they were fantastic. Blitz was completely insane, but brilliant.

:banger:

Guest artofmetal
IRONBOUND is out now... haven't picked it up for myself yet but plan to do so ASAF'n'P...

Here's the video for the first single, "Bring Me the Night" -- sweeeeeeet! :banger:

This is the first i've heard from the new album. I've always been a huge fan and this first song is no disappointment. I'm not sure what the rest of the album sounds like but this particular song seems like more of a return to their old school sound. I'm lovin it and can't wait to pick up an original copy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they've stepped away from their old-school sound ever. But I also don't think they've sounded this good in a long time, am seriously impressed with this. To be honest this band haven't excited me in a while as (you might've guessed) I kinda prefer the Modern Thrash/Death stuff these days, but anyone who can deliver an album of this quality deserves a lot of respect. Frankly if you were ranking the "Big 4" again these days then Overkill & Testament are making better records than Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth are IMHO....

Guest artofmetal
I don't think they've stepped away from their old-school sound ever. But I also don't think they've sounded this good in a long time, am seriously impressed with this. To be honest this band haven't excited me in a while as (you might've guessed) I kinda prefer the Modern Thrash/Death stuff these days, but anyone who can deliver an album of this quality deserves a lot of respect. Frankly if you were ranking the "Big 4" again these days then Overkill & Testament are making better records than Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth are IMHO....

I agree totally. I haven't really dug anything since "Necroshine". But I'm way excited about the new album :headbanger:

• 3 months later...

Been listening to this for a while as it took me a few listens to get into it. It's good, but not 10/10 for me. A couple of the tracks are now among my favourite Overkill tracks, i.e. 'Give A Little' (it took me a while to decide whether this track was really annoying or a new Overkill classic, thankfully I've decided on the latter) and 'The Head And Heart'. 'The Green and Black' is also very good.

Probably my favourite Overkill album since 'Horrorscope'. I absolutely love Overkill, some of their songs are among the best thrash ever imo and there is no better thrash vocalist than Blitz, but I nearly always find some filler on their albums. 'Horrorscope' is the only one that I love every track, an unbelievable album, with Years of Decay not far off. I don't think they've ever matched those and always find some weaker tracks. This album suffers with the same problem for me, there are a few tracks I just find a bit dull. Having said that, it is a very good album, I'd probably say 7/10 and I don't think there has been a better thrash release for many years. I hope they play the UK again soon, they were awesome last year.

Been listening to this for a while as it took me a few listens to get into it. It's good, but not 10/10 for me. A couple of the tracks are now among my favourite Overkill tracks, i.e. 'Give A Little' (it took me a while to decide whether this track was really annoying or a new Overkill classic, thankfully I've decided on the latter) and 'The Head And Heart'. 'The Green and Black' is also very good.

Probably my favourite Overkill album since 'Horrorscope'. I absolutely love Overkill, some of their songs are among the best thrash ever imo and there is no better thrash vocalist than Blitz, but I nearly always find some filler on their albums. 'Horrorscope' is the only one that I love every track, an unbelievable album, with Years of Decay not far off. I don't think they've ever matched those and always find some weaker tracks. This album suffers with the same problem for me, there are a few tracks I just find a bit dull. Having said that, it is a very good album, I'd probably say 7/10 and I don't think there has been a better thrash release for many years. I hope they play the UK again soon, they were awesome last year.

That's a pretty good summary of how I feel too. I think it's the best since "Horrorscope" too (though "From the Underground..." was the next best), it definitely up's the aggression from their last few (pretty mediocre discs) IMO. Though I would definitely give it more than 7/10...

That's a pretty good summary of how I feel too. I think it's the best since "Horrorscope" too (though "From the Underground..." was the next best), it definitely up's the aggression from their last few (pretty mediocre discs) IMO. Though I would definitely give it more than 7/10...

Interesting - I think this raises a (potentially boring to some) point about giving marks out of ten. If I mark an album out of ten, it is as compared to my favourite albums of all time. So, while the debuts by Blue Murder, White Sister and Warrior Soul, for example, all get 10/10, as does Overkills' 'Horrorscope', new albums have a lot to live up to. Therefore, a 7/10 is an excellent mark, 8 is fantastic and 9 is pretty much a classic. Needless to say, there will still be 10s occasionally, but not many.

However, if you look at albums in the context of the current year, as reviewers have to, marks might be higher. I think magazine reviews have to give an idea of how an album compares to its peers to be of maximum use to the buying public. In that context, if I was writing a review for a magazine I'd give Overkill 9/10 as I can't think of a better thrash album for about 10 years (hope I'm not missing anything obvious, the only decent albums other than that I can think of are last year's by Testament and a Sylosis album, neither of which are as good as 'Ironbound' ... oh, and I don't really like Exodus).

Interesting - I think this raises a (potentially boring to some) point about giving marks out of ten. If I mark an album out of ten, it is as compared to my favourite albums of all time. So, while the debuts by Blue Murder, White Sister and Warrior Soul, for example, all get 10/10, as does Overkills' 'Horrorscope', new albums have a lot to live up to. Therefore, a 7/10 is an excellent mark, 8 is fantastic and 9 is pretty much a classic. Needless to say, there will still be 10s occasionally, but not many.

However, if you look at albums in the context of the current year, as reviewers have to, marks might be higher. I think magazine reviews have to give an idea of how an album compares to its peers to be of maximum use to the buying public. In that context, if I was writing a review for a magazine I'd give Overkill 9/10 as I can't think of a better thrash album for about 10 years (hope I'm not missing anything obvious, the only decent albums other than that I can think of are last year's by Testament and a Sylosis album, neither of which are as good as 'Ironbound' ... oh, and I don't really like Exodus).

But wasnt it you who mentioned the Powerplay magazine? (Unless I'm mistaken) Well the last issue of it rated the new EXODUS album as a 10/10, which is frankly absurd IMO. Good as that album is. I'd probably rate the new Exodus and Overkill albums about an 8/10 (the Sylosis debut would get about the same score), but I liked the Testament more and IMO that was pretty spectacular - probably a 9/10. Scores of 9/10 or higher represent pretty damn amazing albums IMO, and there hasn't been one this year so far (though Whitechapel might manage it)...

But wasnt it you who mentioned the Powerplay magazine? (Unless I'm mistaken) Well the last issue of it rated the new EXODUS album as a 10/10, which is frankly absurd IMO. Good as that album is. I'd probably rate the new Exodus and Overkill albums about an 8/10 (the Sylosis debut would get about the same score), but I liked the Testament more and IMO that was pretty spectacular - probably a 9/10. Scores of 9/10 or higher represent pretty damn amazing albums IMO, and there hasn't been one this year so far (though Whitechapel might manage it)...

I do like Powerplay magazine, but freely admit that their marks are often too generous or far higher than suggested by the comments. I would never buy a CD without looking at other reviews first, but Powerplay does point me in the right direction sometimes.

I agree about a 9/10 having to be pretty bloody special. The only one I can think of over the last few years is Blackrain - Licence To Thrill (I assume from previous comments this isn't your cup of tea at all). Oh, and Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal, which crushes, but I shouldn't really mention on this site.