New Ratt album

Leykis101

Probably cause Kiss is a more known band, and has a bigger following considering they have a retro popularity with the younger generation as well. People know Frehley was a big part of that.

Ratt is probably only selling to the old school fans.

While I agree to a point on the Kiss connection, however Ace didn't sell a whole of solo discs when he had the solo band from 87-89 where Ratt sold in the millions. Ace's label did do a good job of getting his cd in Walmart and Bestbuys and he did a lot of TV and online interviews so there was a whole lot of promotion. I just figured with Ratt's sales history they would of maybe sold more like 30,000 the first week but I guess in this day and age and with downloading that 14,000 isn't that bad but I was just expecting a little more.

But, with the current popularity of Kiss with the younger generation, Frehley had a much better chance of being checked out, especially as it was released at almost exactly the same time as the new Kiss album as well.

Kiss is selling to old school and new school fans, where as Ratt would not be as popular with "the youth" of today, so would probably only sell to fans from the 80s who are still buying this sort of thing.

I see what part of the problem is today when I was shopping. I went to a Walmart, Best Buy, Target and a local whole in the wall music store and I didn't see the new Ratt at any of these places. I find that strange since it's basically on a major label or at least a very big middle sized label. It's hard to sell cds if you don't get them in stores. I remember when the 1999 Ratt self titled disc was released on Portrait Records there was promotion for it and the Great White "Can't Get There From Here" disc in many stores including Sam Goody's in the shopping malls. Not sure why this cd is hard to find. It might just be the limited stock in the stores here in Wyoming but I was very shocked to not see this cd at any of these stores.

I didn't see it in Walmart or Target, but my sister found it in the first Best Buy she checked in the twin cities. I think the actual brick and mortor stores are losing so much business to the online stores that unless they think it is going to be a major seller in that particular store, they will only carry it online or not at all. (thank goodness for the internet)

I agree it's gotten bad. I would of just guessed with them being distrbuted by Roadrunner Records and most stores carrying the majority of their releases and considering some of these stores carry Ratt's greatest hits and maybe a couple of others that they'd have the new one. I remember the same thing with the last Sebastian Bach disc "Angel Down" with it being on the EMI label and all the hype with Axl being involved but every Best Buy I went to had one copy and it was just mixed in with the other B's and didn't even have it's own section.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably cause Kiss is a more known band, and has a bigger following considering they have a retro popularity with the younger generation as well. People know Frehley was a big part of that.

Ratt is probably only selling to the old school fans.

While I agree to a point on the Kiss connection, however Ace didn't sell a whole of solo discs when he had the solo band from 87-89 where Ratt sold in the millions. Ace's label did do a good job of getting his cd in Walmart and Bestbuys and he did a lot of TV and online interviews so there was a whole lot of promotion. I just figured with Ratt's sales history they would of maybe sold more like 30,000 the first week but I guess in this day and age and with downloading that 14,000 isn't that bad but I was just expecting a little more.

But, with the current popularity of Kiss with the younger generation, Frehley had a much better chance of being checked out, especially as it was released at almost exactly the same time as the new Kiss album as well.

Kiss is selling to old school and new school fans, where as Ratt would not be as popular with "the youth" of today, so would probably only sell to fans from the 80s who are still buying this sort of thing.

I see what part of the problem is today when I was shopping. I went to a Walmart, Best Buy, Target and a local whole in the wall music store and I didn't see the new Ratt at any of these places. I find that strange since it's basically on a major label or at least a very big middle sized label. It's hard to sell cds if you don't get them in stores. I remember when the 1999 Ratt self titled disc was released on Portrait Records there was promotion for it and the Great White "Can't Get There From Here" disc in many stores including Sam Goody's in the shopping malls. Not sure why this cd is hard to find. It might just be the limited stock in the stores here in Wyoming but I was very shocked to not see this cd at any of these stores.

I didn't see it in Walmart or Target, but my sister found it in the first Best Buy she checked in the twin cities. I think the actual brick and mortor stores are losing so much business to the online stores that unless they think it is going to be a major seller in that particular store, they will only carry it online or not at all. (thank goodness for the internet)

I agree it's gotten bad. I would of just guessed with them being distrbuted by Roadrunner Records and most stores carrying the majority of their releases and considering some of these stores carry Ratt's greatest hits and maybe a couple of others that they'd have the new one. I remember the same thing with the last Sebastian Bach disc "Angel Down" with it being on the EMI label and all the hype with Axl being involved but every Best Buy I went to had one copy and it was just mixed in with the other B's and didn't even have it's own section.

I asked my sister how many copies they had at Best Buy and she said the one she bought was the only copy and it was tucked in behind some other band. Wow.

Now on a better note, the local radio station has a fairly long advertisement for Ratt playing at the Medina Entertainment Center on May 14. It seems about a 30 second radio ad where they announce the "Infestation tour" and are playing Best Of Me in the background. Of course they play a little Round and Round in the background during some of the info too.

you also have to remember that the sales probably were not expected to be there. 4 or 5 copies might hold for a week or so but with the sales it had every place sold out with people still looking for it and thinking places didn't get it.

you also have to remember that the sales probably were not expected to be there. 4 or 5 copies might hold for a week or so but with the sales it had every place sold out with people still looking for it and thinking places didn't get it.

You're probably right about that but I figured with their history that stores would carry more copies.

if i'm not mistaken (the way it was explained to me when I asked my vendor before) the way most stores do initial shippments on new cds is that they go by a % of the total sales of the last ablum. they take total sales and then say that "this % is what we expect to sell opening week" so that much is distuibuted out and when something hits that is a suprise then they stuggle to catch up, thus hurting many; artist, customers, stores, next album sales.......

if i'm not mistaken (the way it was explained to me when I asked my vendor before) the way most stores do initial shippments on new cds is that they go by a % of the total sales of the last ablum. they take total sales and then say that "this % is what we expect to sell opening week" so that much is distuibuted out and when something hits that is a suprise then they stuggle to catch up, thus hurting many; artist, customers, stores, next album sales.......

It was very similar when I was with Foot Locker on certain shoe releases such as Air Jordans. Many of the smaller stores would get small amounts of the shoe even though they might be able to sell more but it was based on history.

A guy on my softball team told me last night he has been looking to buy the new RATT cd at Best Buy over the past few weeks and they never have. He's not much for internet shopping so yeah...they are missing out.

I looked today at work (walmart) and we had 12 copies. I put the cd in and played it and sold one copy today

That's crazy that one store could have 12 copies and others don't have any.

I've given it one spin so far...I like it. It's a strong album, IMO, and should make for some cool new moments in their setlist...

I'll be finding out this Friday. I just bought a couple of tickets for their show at the Medina Entertainment Center in MN.

Man what a killer disc, Ratt hasn't missed a beat...their sound and Stephan Pearcy still sounds the same.

Oh, they missed a beat...that '99 album was weak...but they more than made up for it, I think. "Best Of Me" is so darn catchy!!

Oops I forgot about that one...yes they more than made up for it on this release.

I'm ashamed to say I have had this to listen to for a while and haven't listened to it closely. I need to give it a good spin before I comment.

I'm ashamed to say I have had this to listen to for a while and haven't listened to it closely. I need to give it a good spin before I comment.

Well WTF are you waiting for? It kicks ass by the way. :headbanger:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Was just reading something on Wikipedia and apparently the band is back on hiatus as of October last year.

Apparently due to tensions within the band.

Sounds like its the same old shit between Pearcy and the others.

Was just reading something on Wikipedia and apparently the band is back on hiatus as of October last year.

Apparently due to tensions within the band.

Sounds like its the same old shit between Pearcy and the others.

Yeah, I didn't know there were problems again until I saw the link in the book thread a few days ago, with the Blabbermouth interview with Pearcy. Shame that they come back so strong and it's been hindered already. :(