New Ratt album

Leykis101

I absolutely love it, it sounds like Ratt, attitude and all. Been playing it once a day since I got it. I was a huge Ratt fan back in the day and was quite sad as they dropped their traditional sound and tried to become more bluesy or whatever it is that they were going for. Love this album, up in my top 10 for the year so far.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really have been spoiled with all these great 80s bands "back to their roots" type albums in recent times.

Danger Danger, Winger, Stryper and now Ratt ... awesome stuff.

We really have been spoiled with all these great 80s bands "back to their roots" type albums in recent times.

Danger Danger, Winger, Stryper and now Ratt ... awesome stuff.

I agree although I never heard the last Stryper as there seemed to be some mixed reviews. The RATT, Winger, and D2 are spot on. :beerbang:

Just sent in my review for this album to Detritus... check it out, yo.

RATT – INFESTATION (B+) Loud & Proud/Roadrunner, 2010

11 Tracks, RT: 42:09

[ http://www.therattpack.com ]

[ http://www.myspace.com/therattpack ]

[ http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com ]

Wow! Ratt’s INFESTATION ranks as one of the most pleasant surprises I’ve had in a VERY long time. When this project was first announced last year, I will confess that my interest in Ratt was near zero, and had been for a number of years. I had been a fan of the L.A. rodents in my high school days, but by the time ‘88’s disappointing REACH FOR THE SKY album came around it had become pretty obvious that the band was merely phoning it in, and my tastes had moved towards heavier fare by that time anyway. Over the next decade or so I watched from a distance while Ratt went through their inevitable breakup and eventual reunion, suffered the tragic death of founding member Robbin Crosby (R.I.P.), and had a falling out with Stephen Pearcy that led to his being replaced by journeyman vocalist Jizzy Pearl (Love/Hate, L.A. Guns) for a good number of years. However, time (not to mention lack of record company interest) heals all wounds, and eventually Ratt patched up their differences with Pearcy and announced that they were starting work on their first studio album since 1999’s self-titled disc for their new label, Roadrunner Records (!). When the first previews of INFESTATION hit the Net a few weeks ago the fan reaction was absolutely ecstatic and even though it sounded too good to be true, I gave a couple of the new tracks a curious listen on the band’s web site and suddenly heard myself saying “DAMN. This is GOOD.” Needless to say, I ended up buying a copy (my first new Ratt release in over 20 years!) as soon as it became available and it’s pretty much been ruling my CD player since then. INFESTATION is a rock solid collection of classic-style Ratt rockers, kicking off with the positively slammin’ “Eat Me Up Alive” (best song on the CD, bar none – this should’ve been the first single, not the middling “Best of Me”) and cruises through ten more tracks that sound fresher and rock harder than anything Ratt has released since INVASION OF YOUR PRIVACY way the hell back in ’85. New guitarist Carlos Cavazo (ex-Quiet Riot, of course) fills the late Robbin Crosby’s shoes admirably, meshing nicely with longtime Ratt axeman Warren DeMartini to create the band’s trademark wall-o-shred sound. Pearcy’s voice, which I’m told has been something of a hit-or-miss proposition on their last couple of tours, has aged better than I expected. He sounds a little less whiny than the old days (which is a good thing) and has added a bit more of a gritty snarl, but he’s lost none of his swagger. In short, these Ratts are in great musical shape. “A Little Too Much,” “Last Call,” “Look Out Below” (a killer slab of vintage sleaze rock; strippers across America should be gyrating up and down poles to it in no time) and the killer “Lost Weekend” (which rides atop a rumbling riff straight out of OUT OF THE CELLAR’s “Lack of Communication”) are all standout tracks, bringing back fond memories of the band’s early records when they’d first perfected their blend of DLR-era Van Halen crunch and Aerosmith’s sleaze-soaked boogie. The album doesn’t stumble till the next to last track, the ballad “Take Me Home” – Ratt has never been much of a “ballad band” and this song shows why. Fortunately “Don’t Let Go” follows that misfire and finishes off the album on a high note. All in all, INFESTATION is a surprisingly awesome return to form from a band I’d written off two decades ago and it shows that Ratt still has the fire in their bellies and plenty of fuel left in their tank. Get this one and crank it, immediately if not sooner.

Wow! Ratt’s INFESTATION ranks as one of the most pleasant surprises I’ve had in a VERY long time. When this project was first announced last year, I will confess that my interest in Ratt was near zero, and had been for a number of years. I had been a fan of the L.A. rodents in my high school days, but by the time ‘88’s disappointing REACH FOR THE SKY album came around it had become pretty obvious that the band was merely phoning it in, and my tastes had moved towards heavier fare by that time anyway. Over the next decade or so I watched from a distance while Ratt went through their inevitable breakup and eventual reunion, suffered the tragic death of founding member Robbin Crosby (R.I.P.), and had a falling out with Stephen Pearcy that led to his being replaced by journeyman vocalist Jizzy Pearl (Love/Hate, L.A. Guns) for a good number of years. However, time (not to mention lack of record company interest) heals all wounds, and eventually Ratt patched up their differences with Pearcy and announced that they were starting work on their first studio album since 1999’s self-titled disc for their new label, Roadrunner Records (!). When the first previews of INFESTATION hit the Net a few weeks ago the fan reaction was absolutely ecstatic and even though it sounded too good to be true, I gave a couple of the new tracks a curious listen on the band’s web site and suddenly heard myself saying “DAMN. This is GOOD.” Needless to say, I ended up buying a copy (my first new Ratt release in over 20 years!) as soon as it became available and it’s pretty much been ruling my CD player since then. INFESTATION is a rock solid collection of classic-style Ratt rockers, kicking off with the positively slammin’ “Eat Me Up Alive” (best song on the CD, bar none – this should’ve been the first single, not the middling “Best of Me”) and cruises through ten more tracks that sound fresher and rock harder than anything Ratt has released since INVASION OF YOUR PRIVACY way the hell back in ’85. New guitarist Carlos Cavazo (ex-Quiet Riot, of course) fills the late Robbin Crosby’s shoes admirably, meshing nicely with longtime Ratt axeman Warren DeMartini to create the band’s trademark wall-o-shred sound. Pearcy’s voice, which I’m told has been something of a hit-or-miss proposition on their last couple of tours, has aged better than I expected. He sounds a little less whiny than the old days (which is a good thing) and has added a bit more of a gritty snarl, but he’s lost none of his swagger. In short, these Ratts are in great musical shape. “A Little Too Much,” “Last Call,” “Look Out Below” (a killer slab of vintage sleaze rock; strippers across America should be gyrating up and down poles to it in no time) and the killer “Lost Weekend” (which rides atop a rumbling riff straight out of OUT OF THE CELLAR’s “Lack of Communication”) are all standout tracks, bringing back fond memories of the band’s early records when they’d first perfected their blend of DLR-era Van Halen crunch and Aerosmith’s sleaze-soaked boogie. The album doesn’t stumble till the next to last track, the ballad “Take Me Home” – Ratt has never been much of a “ballad band” and this song shows why. Fortunately “Don’t Let Go” follows that misfire and finishes off the album on a high note. All in all, INFESTATION is a surprisingly awesome return to form from a band I’d written off two decades ago and it shows that Ratt still has the fire in their bellies and plenty of fuel left in their tank. Get this one and crank it, immediately if not sooner.

Great review Keef and I couldn't agree more although I actually don't mind the ballad.

Great review Keef and I couldn't agree more although I actually don't mind the ballad.

I gotta agree with Keef on this one. All the hard rockers, including the ones that didn't blow me away on first listen, they all sound great to me now. But that ballad... just cannot get into it at all. Very weak track, and the worst on the disc by far, imo.

Thanx fellas. For the record, I don't hate the ballad either, but it does drop the energy level of the album just a tad while it's playing. It just feels unnecessary.

...of course, betcha dollars to donuts that it turns out to be the second single off the record. :thppt:

Wow Keith, love the review. I totally agree with ya man....I can relate as an old Ratt fan as well, we have a lot of shared sentiments although I liked Reach (Detonator was hanging on), then by the 90's they became a train wreck in terms of new material to say the least. When I first heard of them doing something new I thought to myself "Great, they reunite to release another disappointing affair (like many others) to further bog down their classic catalog".....and I can say I'm so glad I was wrong, this thing measures up to anything Ratt has ever done during their heyday.

This new one rawks, anybody whose ever liked any Ratt song or album should check this. They sound fresh while maintaining their true style that made us all love them in the first place. It's funny, some of the lyrics coined by Pearcy on this one sound as if he's some testosterone driven 25 yr old like he was in '84 (Lost Weekend and some others), while some of the others have real lyrical depth while staying fun, rocking, and still kinda sleazy. It comes off rather well, totally works for them at this point in their career. Wish other greats of yesterday would take note. Check it out, spin it a few times as it gets a good first impression and is even a grower from there (bordering onto a great release, almost there with Invasion, Dance, or Out of....just barely short of those brilliants of a band in their prime). As Keith said, they're in great musical shape here, to even have them being murmured to a day when they were a worldwide major label signed act is a feat in itself, cuz as you might guess they have a little bit (a lot) less riding on them now (in terms of investment and record company resource), yet they cut something on par with those huge releases, almost on their own cuz they simply wanted to. Love seeing this as a fan.

RATT is BACK....Rockin All The Time (in my best 1986 voice)!! lol... :party421:

I've had a chance to get into this and songs like A Little Too Much, Best of Me, Look Out Below and As Good As It Gets are excellent. I fully appreciate the greatness of this album and actually think it's better than Reach For The Sky although not as good as Detonator. Catchy, hard rocking tunes: I like it.

on another website, it goes on to state Ratt have sold over 14000 cds in its first week of release & have landed on nuimber 30 on the charts, just how cool is this?

I wonder if selling 14000 is more than what they have sold with thier previous album?

I saw this over at blabbermouth and to be honest I would of thought they would of sold more with them being a semi big label and there's been a ton of online promotion. When you consider that Ace Frehley sold more his first week on his last disc on a very small label it makes me wonder why it didn't sell more, especially when you consider how damn good th Ratt disc is.

Probably cause Kiss is a more known band, and has a bigger following considering they have a retro popularity with the younger generation as well. People know Frehley was a big part of that.

Ratt is probably only selling to the old school fans.

Probably cause Kiss is a more known band, and has a bigger following considering they have a retro popularity with the younger generation as well. People know Frehley was a big part of that.

While I agree to a point on the Kiss connection, however Ace didn't sell a whole of solo discs when he had the solo band from 87-89 where Ratt sold in the millions. Ace's label did do a good job of getting his cd in Walmart and Bestbuys and he did a lot of TV and online interviews so there was a whole lot of promotion. I just figured with Ratt's sales history they would of maybe sold more like 30,000 the first week but I guess in this day and age and with downloading that 14,000 isn't that bad but I was just expecting a little more.

While I agree to a point on the Kiss connection, however Ace didn't sell a whole of solo discs when he had the solo band from 87-89 where Ratt sold in the millions. Ace's label did do a good job of getting his cd in Walmart and Bestbuys and he did a lot of TV and online interviews so there was a whole lot of promotion. I just figured with Ratt's sales history they would of maybe sold more like 30,000 the first week but I guess in this day and age and with downloading that 14,000 isn't that bad but I was just expecting a little more.

14,000 in a week is pretty damn impressive IMO. I didn't encounter any RATT music in the 80's (my tastes were usually lighter or heavier) but for an old-school band to come back & sell this many copies, given that it's only the 80's fans that are buying it, is pretty good going...

But, with the current popularity of Kiss with the younger generation, Frehley had a much better chance of being checked out, especially as it was released at almost exactly the same time as the new Kiss album as well.

Kiss is selling to old school and new school fans, where as Ratt would not be as popular with "the youth" of today, so would probably only sell to fans from the 80s who are still buying this sort of thing.

But, with the current popularity of Kiss with the younger generation, Frehley had a much better chance of being checked out, especially as it was released at almost exactly the same time as the new Kiss album as well.

Kiss is selling to old school and new school fans, where as Ratt would not be as popular with "the youth" of today, so would probably only sell to fans from the 80s who are still buying this sort of thing.

I see what part of the problem is today when I was shopping. I went to a Walmart, Best Buy, Target and a local whole in the wall music store and I didn't see the new Ratt at any of these places. I find that strange since it's basically on a major label or at least a very big middle sized label. It's hard to sell cds if you don't get them in stores. I remember when the 1999 Ratt self titled disc was released on Portrait Records there was promotion for it and the Great White "Can't Get There From Here" disc in many stores including Sam Goody's in the shopping malls. Not sure why this cd is hard to find. It might just be the limited stock in the stores here in Wyoming but I was very shocked to not see this cd at any of these stores.

I see what part of the problem is today when I was shopping. I went to a Walmart, Best Buy, Target and a local whole in the wall music store and I didn't see the new Ratt at any of these places. I find that strange since it's basically on a major label or at least a very big middle sized label. It's hard to sell cds if you don't get them in stores. I remember when the 1999 Ratt self titled disc was released on Portrait Records there was promotion for it and the Great White "Can't Get There From Here" disc in many stores including Sam Goody's in the shopping malls. Not sure why this cd is hard to find. It might just be the limited stock in the stores here in Wyoming but I was very shocked to not see this cd at any of these stores.

I didn't see it in Walmart or Target, but my sister found it in the first Best Buy she checked in the twin cities. I think the actual brick and mortor stores are losing so much business to the online stores that unless they think it is going to be a major seller in that particular store, they will only carry it online or not at all. (thank goodness for the internet)

I tried to buy it on the release date. Once again Best Buy didn't carry it at that location or at any of the other local stores. Any time I want to buy a cd Best Buy never has it. I'm not sure what people are buying to keep that place in business. I can never find anything I'm in search of.