New Ratt album

Leykis101

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right mate, listening to the classics back to back with the new tunes. Cant see much difference to me. Listen to Round & Round and then A Little Too Much. Very similar songs stylewise. The newie is a little more urgent.

I'd say that if you stuck any of the tracks on here onto the end of the Ratt N Roll best of from the early 90s, you would be hard pressed to say there was over 20 years between them and the older tracks as they would slot in nicely.

Much like the progression they made from the Ratt EP to Detonator, its only a few tweaks here and there, nothing that sets them apart as a totally different era.

Awesome album! The best release by an 80's band in a long time. Beats anything Motley, Poison, Skids, Def Lep or anyone else from this era has done in the past 10 years.

Detonator was always my favourite RATT album, so with everyone saying it's most similar to that one, that may be why it gets my tick of approval.

If they get on the road with this one, they should take Crashdiet along for the ride. What an awesoem sleazy double-bill that would be.

If they get on the road with this one, they should take Crashdiet along for the ride. What an awesoem sleazy double-bill that would be.

Not sure if they are doing a world tour, but they are playing here this month or next, cant remember which.

It only got announced last month as far as I know, so other dates around the world may happen if they havent announced them already.

Just got my copy and it is 100% old RATT !! Great CD great production!!

Where is everybody getting a copy of this? I thought it wasn't out until April sometime?

Looks like April 20 release here in the US. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just got my copy and it is 100% old RATT !! Great CD great production!!

Where is everybody getting a copy of this? I thought it wasn't out until April sometime?

Looks like April 20 release here in the US. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yup April 20th here and you can pre-order it on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I have to admit I kind of became part of a pet hate of mine. I sometimes get the feeling that some people rate albums not on just how good or bad they are, but how they compare to the hype. I hate it. But I have to admit I got sucked into the high praise for this one and allowed myself to expect a near-flawless album.

Well, to be clear, I've just heard it once and further impressions will follow tomorrow as I'm spinning it again now and will do so again on the way to work. But, based on first spin, I have to admit it doesn't quite live up to what I was dreaming of. The main factors:

The ballad. Ratt never were a ballad band and correct me if I'm wrong but they didn't even write one until 'Reach for the sky', hey? And that track, 'I wanna love you tonight' (?) was pretty poor. But then they really set a standard with one of the best ballads ever recorded, in 'Givin' yourself away' on 'Detonator'. Armed with that, and the 2 ballads on Arcade's debut, I was hopeful. But man, what a dud is 'Take me home.' :lol: Very weak link on the disc and having heard it I wish they'd stuck with the ballad-free approach.

I do like most the songs. The first 2 are brilliant, and literally 2 of Ratt's best songs ever. 'A little too much' is not far off at all either, and it's a killer start to the disc. Sadly, I think the next 2 tracks dip in quality a little. 'Look out below' and 'Last call' are both pretty cool, but also a little average. I can see them growing in me, but totally eclipsed by the awesome first 3 tracks, imo 'Lost weekend' and 'Take a big bite' were also early faves too, but a few of the rest will need a few spins. Sounds like a very good disc, and I'm expecting/hoping it to grow on me very quickly. :)

I really like this release as well.

My favorite track is probably Lost Weekend with Eat Me Up Alive, Best Of Me, A Little Too Much and Dont Let Go following close behind.

The only tracks I could not get into (so far) have been Last Call and Garden Of Eden.

Funny Geoff, I am not much of a ballad guy and you of course are very much so. I rarely like most ballads and you search them out. But in this case I really like Take Me Home especially the opening to the first chorus. Funny how that works out.

I know it has been said before on here but I have to say it again. With all the new and sorta-new bands coming out and writing good stuff for the most part, if all our old favs are back and write music like most have so far (Whitesnake, Dokken, Winger and now Ratt as few examples of recent years) my only complaint will be deciding how to spend my music budget. In the end the average and below average stuff will get filtered out I suppose. But no complaints here!

I'm with Geoff so far.

About 5-6 spins in and things are growing on me, but I think I let the hype build my expectations too much. Love Eat Me Up Alive, Best Of Me, Take A Big Bite, and Lost Weekend. The rest range from the good: A Little Too Much, As Good As It Gets, Garden of Eden to the average: Look Out Below, Last Call, Take Me Home, Don't Let Go.

But like I said, things are growing on me little by little. Definitely not the instant album I was hoping for though.

Brian

it really grows tho....i must have listened to this about 20 times and i love it. I though the quality dipped a little in the middle, but now I just love the variation. & the ballad 'Take Me Home is really different...the chorus might not be the strongest but it does grow and that solo is pretty great by anyones standards. I mean from 2 mins 20 this song is pretty awesome....innit??

Yeah, definitely already enjoyed the 2nd spin more. I know it'll grow on me... it's 100% Ratt and I love Ratt, so no doubt I'll end up really digging it. Already tracks like 'As Good As It Gets' and 'Garden of Eden' have grown on me much more. I love Ratt. :)

Amazon has a "special edition" MP3 album download which has a extra track called "Scatter" and 3 of the old classics live at Rockline Studio.

I might download the Scatter track.

Not that 99 cents is a big deal but I hate that when the companies do that...if I am paying for the cd give me all the tracks you release (I know, it has been said before on this board).

picked this up @ Best Buy today. Will post thoughts once I've had a chance to give it a solid listen. Couldn't play it at the volume it truly deserved on the way home cuz the kids were in the back seat :lol: (The little one even told me "Daddy, turn it down!") :rofl:

Yeah, definitely already enjoyed the 2nd spin more. I know it'll grow on me... it's 100% Ratt and I love Ratt, so no doubt I'll end up really digging it. Already tracks like 'As Good As It Gets' and 'Garden of Eden' have grown on me much more. I love Ratt. :)

Agreed. Love Ratt, love this album :guitbannana:

Amazon has a "special edition" MP3 album download which has a extra track called "Scatter" and 3 of the old classics live at Rockline Studio.

I might download the Scatter track.

Not that 99 cents is a big deal but I hate that when the companies do that...if I am paying for the cd give me all the tracks you release (I know, it has been said before on this board).

Scatter is ok, certainly not one of the better tracks on the album.

From what I understand, it may also be on the Japanese CD as well.

The album is MUCH better than I ever expected, but alas I am incredibly disappointed with the mastering... another victim of the LOUDNESS WAR. I want so badly to crank this one, but I can't... it's compressed to the point of clipping and completely brick-walled. Unfortunate as the music itself is very good.

Just posted my thoughts on this one in the "First Spin Impressions" thread. In a nutshell, I am pleasantly surprised.