GIANT

TIM (2)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Giant really that big of a money spinning name?

I mean, its not like Motley Crue continuing without Vince when they had always said they would change the band name if one original member left.

I think an album by Giant only really sells to people like us here, and we are just as likely to pick up a band like this if it were recorded under another name, purely based on the names involved.

And actually, thinking about it, because of it being sold mostly to people like us, using the name Giant could actually lose them sales.

To be honest, whether they keep the name or not doesn't overly bother me. Just to me personally, I'm pretty sure it won't sound like the "real" Giant at all. Probably more like another Terry Brock solo disc.

As long as it's a good CD at the end of the day I'll be happy - whatever it's called.

Is Giant really that big of a money spinning name?

I mean, its not like Motley Crue continuing without Vince when they had always said they would change the band name if one original member left.

I think an album by Giant only really sells to people like us here, and we are just as likely to pick up a band like this if it were recorded under another name, purely based on the names involved.

And actually, thinking about it, because of it being sold mostly to people like us, using the name Giant could actually lose them sales.

I'm guessing a CD from Giant would sell more than a CD with a band name featuring two guys from Giant.

+ those two guys from Giant are planning on a few gigs so they are more likely to appeal to promoters playing as Giant than without.

It'll be intersting to see the outcome is on all this in some 12 to 24 months time.

With GIANT it's more about reputation than album sales. They pretty much released two stunning virtually filler-free discs and haven't diluted their back catalogue with rubbish discs that have everyone comparing them to those first two. They even cleverly packaged the 3rd disc as demos/leftovers so fans weren't disappointed by the comparisons to the first two. So many bands have reformed and just not produced albums that have touched their early output, so there are high hopes here.

For me they should've left the GIANT catalogue as it is (virtually flawless) and used a new name, as otherwise I can only see big disappointment for those expecting another "Time To Burn"....

• 5 weeks later...

Well Huff or no Huff the clip of Believer over at Melrock sounds pretty f wicked to me. awesome guitars.

will be watching this one with great interest. if they can produce an album full of this quality it be special indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

4 sound clips on the main page at MR.com; what does everyone think of 'em?

giant-promiseland.jpg

I quite like 'em; particularly "Prisoner of Love". I was approaching this release with guarded optimism, but now I'm legitimately excited. :christmas:

Things are looking up :):beerbang:

Backed ! YEAH !!! :headbanger: :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...