GIANT

TIM (2)

What history do John & Dino Elefante have w/ GIANT?

if I'm not mistaken dans done some work the elefante bros on a few albums.

I know that Dann has done a lot of work at the Sound Kitchen studio complex, which at one time was owned by the Elefante brothers, but I never heard of any instances where they worked directly together...

I think you are right.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am kinda begining to lose interest in this line up, the sampler on frontiers is an old mark spiro tune released on frontiers.

Yeah I thought I recognised it. That was why I originally thought this disc was more album leftovers, but I remember Andrew saying there weren't many and they were all used on "3". Is a shame they convinced Dan Huff to play guitar but not sing...

I am kinda begining to lose interest in this line up, the sampler on frontiers is an old mark spiro tune released on frontiers.

Yeah I thought I recognised it. That was why I originally thought this disc was more album leftovers, but I remember Andrew saying there weren't many and they were all used on "3". Is a shame they convinced Dan Huff to play guitar but not sing...

i cant recall seeing this as a huff co write but i do recall not being excited by this song on mark's album.

even though mark was the original singer on those early giant demos i wouldnt credit him for the sound & style we all know with giant.

what i'd love to see is a proper release of those giant demos with mark on voxx as the quality on my cdr is ok at best.

i'm sure frontiers can get this out. :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

So who do you think the new singer is going by the 'new' song. Sounds very Terry Brock like to me, although I am not totally sure.

So who do you think the new singer is going by the 'new' song. Sounds very Terry Brock like to me, although I am not totally sure.

lol funny you mention terry, were you in that big group discussing giant at firefest. i wonder if theer is anybody else there thats a memnber here lol

would be great to have asked terry that question if he ws to have been there lol

:beerbang:

From the MelodicRock front page

Frontiers Records announces the return of Giant for the release of a brand new album in early 2010.

After recording two albums with christian rockers Whiteheart in the early 80's and having made a name as session players in the Pop and Rock scene, guitarist / vocalist Dann Huff and his drummer brother David hooked up with Alan Pasqua, an experienced keyboards player which lent his talents to loads of Jazz and Rock artists and Nashville session bass player Mike Brignardello to form Giant.

They eventually signed with A&M Records and released 1989's "Last of the Runaways", featuring a classic, melodic hard rock sound, which yielded a top-twenty hit with "I'll See You in My Dreams". Giant's debut album is still regarded nowadays as one of the highest points in melodic hard rock of the end of the eighties melting diverse influences such as Van Halen, Journey and U2 to create an instantly recognizable sound. After countless tours and live performances in the US and Europe, the band recorded the follow up album Time to Burn in 1991. Slightly more aggressive than it's predecessor, but still magnificent in the production and songwriting departments. this album is also regarded as a main source of influence for many melodic and hard rock bands nowadays.

Soon after the release of "Time To Burn", Alan Pasqua decided to quit the band and went back to session work. The band toured once again Europe and US without him, but soon after disbanded. Dann Huff then became one of the most respected producers of our era, working in the Rock, Pop and Country Music with countless artists including Shania Twain, Megadeth, Faith Hill and several others. His brother David also started to become more and more involved in the production business and thanks to a mutual friend he was introduced in 1999 to Frontiers Records managers Serafino Perugino and Mario de Riso. This eventually brought to a meeting in Chicago were the label proposed David to bring back the name and the music of such a great band. The "III" album was released in 2001 with major acclaim in the Classic and Melodic Hard Rock community.

However Dann's busy schedule along with the other members' commitments, made the reunion impossible to carry on. However the vision of bringing back Giant as a living band unit with a recording and touring line-up and with of course the possibility to carry on the enormous legacy of the music produced so far with the same quality was raised a few times in conversations between David Huff and Frontiers. As time went by it became apparent that Dann Huff could not be a full part of this concept, even though he loved everything that Giant was.

Thus original members, drummer David Huff and bassist Mike Brignardello, who wanted to go back to Rock, started an endless research for the right musicians that could be part of a renewed Giant line-up. And in the end the choice fell on singer extraordinaire Terry Brock (Strangeways, Seventh Key) and on John Roth (Winger) on guitars. David Huff comments: "Yes, we have decided to move forward. But we're not trying to replace Dann, because that could never be done. We have picked up where we left off and have added a great new flavor. We will always stay close to the original core of what Giant was: a melodic arena rock band based around guitar riffs. We will stay with the same principle of vocals too--great harmonies and melodies. Terry's vocal style is very complimentary to Giant's core sound--he has tremendous feel (soul) and range along with power. John's guitar playing is very powerful too".

The band has completed the songwriting and according to David: "It feels good to be working on Giant again! In early April we had an incredible week with the new Giant line-up, we have some great new songs and we are working also on some ideas that have been taking dust on the shelf for years. Dann was part of our meeting and has co-written several songs which no doubt have his guitar flavors all over them. He was also very excited and he has agreed to appear in the album playing guitar on two songs".

It is now possible to hear a sample from the first single Promised Land, which will also be the title track of the forthcoming album, that will exclusively appear on the Rock the Bones vol. 7 sampler that will be on sale from November 7. More song titles include: Our Love, Complicated Man, Two Worlds, Plenty of Love, I'll Wait For You and more.

Pictured (l to r): John Roth, David Huff, Mike Brignardello & Terry Brock.

I'll be checking this out...as long as the songs are good I don't really care about anything else...

Completely agree with that comment plus Terry Brock is a totally quality vocalist, so hopefully this will be a goodie.

I'll be checking this out...as long as the songs are good I don't really care about anything else...

Completely agree with that comment plus Terry Brock is a totally quality vocalist, so hopefully this will be a goodie.

Absolutely, but I still think they shouldn't use the name GIANT. DIfferent vocalist, different keyboardist, different style (judging by the samples).

Absolutely, but I still think they shouldn't use the name GIANT. DIfferent vocalist, different keyboardist, different style (judging by the samples).

Yep, should be a great album hopefully, but it won't be GIANT.

I didn't know Dann Huff recorded with Whiteheart. Was he on vocals, or just guitar? And do those two albums suck as much as their later ones?

I didn't know Dann Huff recorded with Whiteheart. Was he on vocals, or just guitar? And do those two albums suck as much as their later ones?

He played guitars and did some vocals aswell. They are both very very good discs, although they are very Toto inspired Westcoast albums with quite a strong christian message to some of the songs, so for you I would say stear well clear.

He played guitars and did some vocals aswell. They are both very very good discs, although they are very Toto inspired Westcoast albums with quite a strong christian message to some of the songs, so for you I would say stear well clear.

:lol: Thanks mate, and point taken. I will not pursue these. ;)

I with Goeff here. I think they should use another name. But it will most likely be a good album.