Boys Like Girls

Geoff

I may have to re-listen, but I certainly dont remember anything on there rocking as hard as 'Take My Hand' or 'The End' or say 'What If' or even 'Me Against The World' from the other album.....these are the types of songs I like from Simple Plan.

Dont get me wrong there are some pretty good songs on BLG like 'Shot Heard Round The World', 'Love Drunk' etc, but nothing I would say that is better than Simple Plan....listen to them back to back.

As for BLG being better than 'The Sound Of Madness'......to each their own is indeed the correct statement. The Sound Of Madness destroys BLG in every department. Attitude, vocals, guitars everything. Also doesnt sound like something my 3 year old daughter would listen to ;-))

Cheers

Yeah, I think you do need to re-listen to it. :) I get the impression you didn't give this one much of a chance at all.

Whether BLG turned their guitars up as loud as Simple Plan really isn't much of a discussion to have, but I do know 'Love Drunk' is a much more uptempo album than Simple Plan's excellent s/t album, which, let's be honest, is mostly ballads and mid-tempo numbers. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE both albums. I think each was in my top 2 or 3 in their respective years of release. But there is no doubt that Simple Plan still add a few poor fillers to their CDs, which BLG certainly don't ('Dance Hall Drug' is the only filler on 2 discs). Plus, lyrically there is no contest between the bands and BLG are so far ahead in that department that it makes up a heap of difference.

As for 'Sound of madness,' you know I'm not the person to speak to on this. I would go out there and say that is probably the most over-rated CD in the last 10 years. Sure, I liked the thing just fine too, but I remember you questioning me everytime it dropped another 5 spots in my best of 2008/9 (whenever it was released) list. And to be honest if I put it in today it would probably drop another 5-10 spots. It was a good album made to look better by the low standards the band had set for themselves with their two super poor previous releases. Yeah, it rocks harder than BLG, but the weakest hook on the BLG album is pretty much 10 times the hook of the best thing on Shinedown CD (which did have some great hooks, admittedly). Depends what you're after at the end of the day, I guess. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong there are some pretty good songs on BLG like 'Shot Heard Round The World', 'Love Drunk' etc, but nothing I would say that is better than Simple Plan....listen to them back to back.

Hey mate, not one to knock back an assignment I put this in my memory bank and whilst just cooking up a f*cking barnstormer of a dish for my wife for dinner (one I didn't know took 3 and 1/2 hours to prepare) I listened to them back to back.

Mate, in total one hundred percent complete honesty, the BLG disc absolutely smokes the Simple Plan one in my opinion. And I didn't realise by just how much until I played them back to back. The main reasons:

1. Songwriting ; both bands have good melodies, but BLG are just more exciting and lyrically they write stuff that - well, I don't know about you, but for me anyway - just clicks. Nice sentimental lyrics wrapped up in big extravagant stadium filling tunes. Simple Plan are a lot better on the s/t album than previous CDs, but there's still an air of childishness and simplicity to their lyrics. BLG may have just as young a fanbase and write some equally simple stuff, but there's also stuff in the lyrics to appeal to older kids... like me. :)

2. Vocals ; the BLG guy isn't David Coverdale himself, but there's no doubt that no matter how much the Simple Plan guy is trying to shake it, he still has that nasaly pop punk voice which can grate on the weaker songs.

3. Fillers ; not a hint of one on 'Love drunk', several on Simple Plan. I can take or leave 'When I'm gone', 'Your love is a lie' and 'Generation' is just terrible.

4. Songs ; in general, I just think that as well as having no fillers the better overall songs on 'Love drunk' are better than Simple Plan. I LOVE 'Take my hand', 'Save you', I can wait forever', 'Holding on', 'No love' and the brilliant closer, 'What if'. No doubt all are fantastic songs. But so are 'Heart heart heartbreak', 'Love drunk', 'She's got a boyfriend now', 'Two is better than one', 'Contagious', 'Shot heard round the world', 'The first one' and 'Chemicals collide'. All those songs are great, but there's much more mixture in the BLG tracks whereas most the best Simple Plan tracks are ballads. 'Take my hand', 'The end' and 'Time to say goodbye' are all great rockers... but not on par with the rockers on BLG. I admit that Simple Plan probably take home the prize for best ballads... but overall I like the BLG song selection more.

And that's about it from me. I'm nervous about Jez's thoughts on Simple Plan, but I think he'll find 'Love drunk' irrisistable. Hope you give it another chance, mate. :)

And that's about it from me. I'm nervous about Jez's thoughts on Simple Plan, but I think he'll find 'Love drunk' irrisistable. Hope you give it another chance, mate. :)

Giving them a fair shot before I comment mate - give me a day or 2 ;)

Firstly here are the 4 discs that I have been listening to.

Boys Like Girls - S/T

Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk

Simple Plan - S/T

Blinded Black - Under the Sunrise

This sort of stuff usually isn't my usual listening pleasure, bar the odd band, so I always approach bands like this with extreme caution, but ater hearing a couple of tracks from Boys Like Girls and Simple Plan, and Geoff really recommending them, I decided to splash out on the 3 discs - didn't cost me much $'s, so nothing really lost if I didn't like them. The Blinded Black disc was recommended (and kindly donated as he had 2 copies) to me by a bloke at work.

OK - These four just about cover the saying 'The Good, The OK'ish and the ugly' (can you guess yet? ) ;)

Boys Like Girls - S/T

A few tunes that were good, but generally what I expected it to be - Bands like this all over the Kerrang channel that I usually turn off after one song. Not bad but I certainly wasn't jumping around the room in anticipation for the next one.

Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk

Much much better than the debut - some really good, strong songs on here like 'Heart Heart Heartbreak' 'Love Drunk' and 'Real Thing' and I actually hit the repeat button as soon as it had finished, which is always a good sign (I also had it on in the car over the weekend too). I would have liked it to rock a bit more - i.e more crunchy guitars and it is a little over produced, but it is a Good little disc this one and I will definitely play it again.

Simple Plan - S/T

I heard the last SP cd and didn't like it at all to be honest, so this one certainly worried me a bit, although I had heard that it was a little more 'Mature 'sounding than the others and I had heard a track or 2. Well after 4 spins, this is the one that is heading the list so far. Really really like this - excellent tunes throughout (especially the first half) and I would agree with Glen that they rock a little more than BLG, in that They have less of a produced sound that BLG have and have a little more 'Crunch' to them & they sound better for it imo. Neither bands rock your socks off, but SP rock a little more imo. Another good one that edges it over BLG

Blinded Black - Under The Sunrise

After the very good Simple Plan 'S/T' and Boys Like Girls 'Love Drunk' discs, this one is the ugly side and to me, represents everything that s completely shit about some of the more modern bands. Awful, badly written songs with no hooks, badly played, a singer who tries to do the screamo thing ocassionally, just to try and keep it relevant and worst of all, a Bontempi keyboard player (credited as 'Synths' - I love my keyboards in bands, but I have never heard errr 'Synths'?? sound so bad and used in such a useless way on an album) Truly horrible and I thank god that I had left this until last, otherwise I wouldn't have been in a good mood to listen to the other 3. Truly truly awful stuff and and one of the worst albums of this type I have ever heard.

So all in all pretty successfull and (dare I say it) enjoyable listening. 2 definite keepers and albums I would never have previously bought. One that maybe with more time, will grow on me some more and one, although gratefully accepted, I may have to go and hit my mate over the head with a cricket bat and then throw the said abomination from my car window, as I hurl abuse at it and wail with delight, in seeing a huge lorry smash it into thousands of pieces, never to be heard again.

Haha, nicely done mate. Glad you gave them a go. I will be interested to see if you return to this thread with down the track thoughts. When I first heard 'Love drunk' there's no way I'd have compared it to the Simple Plan CD either, but it's really grown on me like no other CD ever really has, to be honest. Even 100 spins later I think I'm liking it even more. :)

I can agree with you guys that the lack of the modern effects in Simple Plan's better songs does give them a bit of extra "rockability" and I can see it is a little more rocking production overall.

Jez, I'm a bit surprised you like the first half of the Simple Plan disc, mate. I find the album's only fillers are on the first half whereas the second half is near flawless, imo. :)

As for Blinded Black, yeah I have that one too. While I wouldn't be that harsh (:lol:) it definitely went in one ear, out the other and straight to the shelf. I probably wrote a first spins comment, or something in the modern rock thread... but yeah, not very memorable at all, that's for sure. I can't remember a single moment of it.

I hope you do get a little more out of the BLG debut too. Some songs on that one like 'The great escape', 'Heels over head' and 'Learning to fall' are very nice. But for me, those ballads like 'Thunder' (LOVE those lyrics, get me every time), 'Hero/Heroine', 'Me, You and My Medication' and 'Holiday' made the album for me. Big, hard hitting ballads... just the way I like them.

Anyway, sweet action. Good to see you get some joy out of these discs. With your Simple Plan thoughts in mind, I suggest you give 'Still not getting any' a tentative go, for a few dollars. The lyrics are poor, but 'Perfect world', 'Crazy', 'Everytime' (stunning), 'Promise' and 'One' are as good as anything on the s/t album, imo. You will have to wade through a couple more fillers, and poor vocals... but if you like the s/t album I fully recommend giving it a go at very least. DO NOT, however, try their debut. Pretty much garbage bar a harmless tune or two, but you'd hate it.

Jez, I'm a bit surprised you like the first half of the Simple Plan disc, mate. I find the album's only fillers are on the first half whereas the second half is near flawless, imo. :)

With your Simple Plan thoughts in mind, I suggest you give 'Still not getting any' a tentative go, for a few dollars. The lyrics are poor, but 'Perfect world', 'Crazy', 'Everytime' (stunning), 'Promise' and 'One' are as good as anything on the s/t album, imo. You will have to wade through a couple more fillers, and poor vocals... but if you like the s/t album I fully recommend giving it a go at very least. DO NOT, however, try their debut. Pretty much garbage bar a harmless tune or two, but you'd hate it.

1. Depends on how you view what is the first and what is the second side. You see for me the 2 fillers are 'Generation' (although this has grown on me & I quite like it now!) and 'Time To Say Goodbye' (which de-generates into that awful punkish Blowing For Soup type sound which I loath!). So if the first half is tracks 1-5 and the second half is 6-11....all the fillers are on the second side/half ;-)) Certainly the first 5 songs are all great IMO.

2. Re 'Still Not Getting' album - don't forget 'Me Against The World' which is one of my fav Simple Plan songs :-)) An excellent rocker.

With your Simple Plan thoughts in mind, I suggest you give 'Still not getting any' a tentative go, for a few dollars. The lyrics are poor, but 'Perfect world', 'Crazy', 'Everytime' (stunning), 'Promise' and 'One' are as good as anything on the s/t album, imo. You will have to wade through a couple more fillers, and poor vocals... but if you like the s/t album I fully recommend giving it a go at very least. DO NOT, however, try their debut. Pretty much garbage bar a harmless tune or two, but you'd hate it.

1. Depends on how you view what is the first and what is the second side. You see for me the 2 fillers are 'Generation' (although this has grown on me & I quite like it now!) and 'Time To Say Goodbye' (which de-generates into that awful punkish Blowing For Soup type sound which I loath!). So if the first half is tracks 1-5 and the second half is 6-11....all the fillers are on the second side/half ;-)) Certainly the first 5 songs are all great IMO.

2. Re 'Still Not Getting' album - don't forget 'Me Against The World' which is one of my fav Simple Plan songs :-)) An excellent rocker.

Haha, yeah does depend on which half you put 'Generation' in - ugly song. I put it in the first half as 11 track tapes used to have 6 on the first side, 5 on second side. ;) I actually like 'Time to say goodbye.'

How the hell did I forget 'Me against the world?' I agree, one of their best songs for sure!

• 2 years later...

Well, much like Hit The Lights did last year, the kids in Boys Like Girls have released a 3 track EP, which is essentially just a sampler for the new album. The 'Crazy World EP' was released on July 17th I believe and features 3 songs from the upcoming album of the same name. I hungrily heard this tonight and here's quick thoughts on the first quick spin:

1. "Be Your Everything" ; very sappy, single-orientated pop ballad. It is actually a pretty nice song, but it's a very stickly sweet track.

2. "Life of the Party" ; yowser! I hope this is a once off. Pretty terrible to be honest. 100% pop, kind of like those awful tracks Simple Plan throw in between the gems. I haven't heard BLG do a song like this before and am disappointed they've done this, but I hope it's just a once off.

3. "The First Time" ; and thankfully it's back to wonderfulness. This one could almost be lifted from 'Love Drunk' - killer pop rock track with a big chorus. Yeah, I hope there's a lot more like this one on the album.

So in short I'm still very excited about this one... more so than any album still to come this year to be totally honest. :) The first and third tracks are very much in line with 'Love Drunk' in style which is what I was hoping for most from this album. Looking at the song titles I'm hopeful that 'Life of the party' is the only track of it's kind too...

Well, much like Hit The Lights did last year, the kids in Boys Like Girls have released a 3 track EP, which is essentially just a sampler for the new album. The 'Crazy World EP' was released on July 17th I believe and features 3 songs from the upcoming album of the same name. I hungrily heard this tonight and here's quick thoughts on the first quick spin:

1. "Be Your Everything" ; very sappy, single-orientated pop ballad. It is actually a pretty nice song, but it's a very stickly sweet track.

2. "Life of the Party" ; yowser! I hope this is a once off. Pretty terrible to be honest. 100% pop, kind of like those awful tracks Simple Plan throw in between the gems. I haven't heard BLG do a song like this before and am disappointed they've done this, but I hope it's just a once off.

3. "The First Time" ; and thankfully it's back to wonderfulness. This one could almost be lifted from 'Love Drunk' - killer pop rock track with a big chorus. Yeah, I hope there's a lot more like this one on the album.

So in short I'm still very excited about this one... more so than any album still to come this year to be totally honest. :) The first and third tracks are very much in line with 'Love Drunk' in style which is what I was hoping for most from this album. Looking at the song titles I'm hopeful that 'Life of the party' is the only track of it's kind too...

Keep the birthday ideas coming for my Lily ;-)

She'll be six soon............

Keep the birthday ideas coming for my Lily ;-)

She'll be six soon............

Player hater. They're awesome. I'm as metal as they come, but when I like decide not to be so hardcore for a moment, these guys are the perfect thing to put in my ears.

Jeez I hate that 2nd track, though. That one I'll give you is perfect for 6 year olds, but the other two songs are great, imo.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Geoff. Looking forward to hearing the entire album. Any idea when it is released? Hope the rest of it packs a little more punch. While I like songs 1 and 3, I would really like to see them crank it up on a few more tracks.

Sticking with the power pop vibe. Check out Transmit Now's new digital only release 1955 on Itunes and let me know what you think.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Geoff. Looking forward to hearing the entire album. Any idea when it is released? Hope the rest of it packs a little more punch. While I like songs 1 and 3, I would really like to see them crank it up on a few more tracks.

Sticking with the power pop vibe. Check out Transmit Now's new digital only release 1955 on Itunes and let me know what you think.

Yeah, I agree, it'd be great to hear a few bigger tunes like 'Heartbreak' for sure.

Thanks for the tip about Transmit Now too. I liked their first one and will be very keen to hear this. Not sure if you saw my First Spins thread, but a really impressive modern rock album I recently put my ears to is Namesake - 'Borders and Fences.' Check that one out, mate.

I'll let you know how I go with Transmit Now. ;)

Oh, and 'Crazy World' is due for "Fall release." So that's the next few months isn't it? Should be pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...

Namesake sounds HUGE from the Itunes snippets. Ordering the physical release from Amazon later today. Thanks for tip.

And thank you for the tip, that it had actually been physically released. :lol: I also bought it the day I read that from Amazon. :)

Mate, gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed with that Transmit Now album. It sounds very "indie rock" to me. I do like the last song, 'Say you'll stay' and I also thought 'Boston Tea Party' and 'My lucky day' were pretty cool, but the rest - yeah, not really my style. :(

That Namesake sounds pretty cool chorus wise but the vocals were a bit annoying I thought. Also had that teenie pop/ punk sound which I struggle with these days.

That Namesake sounds pretty cool chorus wise but the vocals were a bit annoying I thought. Also had that teenie pop/ punk sound which I struggle with these days.

When the album started I probably thought exactly the same as you, that the vocals were kind of pop punk (which, you may not guess as I like the music so much, but I also dislike that style of vocal) - actually reminded me a lot of the awesome Aussie band Kid Courageous. But I dunno, that vibe seemed to pass pretty quick and easy as the album went on. Like you say, there are some pretty massive choruses on this disc. No real weak song either. I've deleted the MP3's until I get the actual CD now, but I expect this to rate very high this year. A lot of the songs are already etched in my head from the few MP3 spins.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the Namesake disc last night and listened to it from start to finish in my car today. Not a weak song to be found! Incredibly catchy stuff!

Yep, my 3rd highest rated modern rock CD of the year... I really love this thing. 'The Movement' is definitely in my top 5-10 songs of the year too. Just a massive tune. But you're right - could't rate anything below an 8/10 on the entire CD. I truly pray they don't release this and just disappear. Like The Sunstreak seem to have done? What the hell happened to them? Huge debut a few years back and now they're gone. :(

Sorry, got sidetracked, but glad I could pass this onto at least one other person. ;)

• 2 months later...

So, the 'Crazy World' LP has dropped. Heard it twice in a row yesterday and I guess I can't hide that the main emotion was that of pretty big disappointment. For whatever reason, they seem to have taken a leaf out of Hedley and Faber Drive's books, and strayed as far away from their "rock" sound as possible.

The album starts with a nice spirited catchy rocker that could almost have been lifted off 'Love Drunk.' Except the first thing you do notice is that it's lacking the guitar presence that was still readily available on the 'Love Drunk' CD. But that's not too big an issue as long as the songs are all good.

The real problem is what happens next. Just to skip ahead to the end of the story, the first song is the first and only rocker on the entire CD. The rest is what I like to call "campfire ditties" and ballads. If you know 'Summertime' from SImple Plan's last CD, that type of tune has taken the place of any other rocker that might have been on this disc. I think there were 5 of these types of song, each as bad as the rest. I skipped all of them from the first time I played the album. Real bad sign. I don't understand who these type of shitty throwaway songs are aimed at. And to make them worse, they all have some f*cking "Yeah boi" chilled almost r&b-ish background vocal which makes me want to kill someone.

Anyway, so basically, apart from the opener, every song sucks, except the ballads. Thankfully, I think there are 5 or 6. Which, of course, is not an ideal amount of ballads, but when they're the only good songs on a CD you kind of take each one you can get. There are some really great ballads on here - I think 'Cheated' was about my best, but they're all really good.

So thankfully it's not a complete write off. But to go from one of my favourite CDs of the last decade ('Love Drunk') to this is a GIGANTIC fall from grace that I was not anticipating. The crazy thing is that the ballads paled in comparison to the amazing rockers on the last CD. Now one is forced to take refuge in the ballads as there is nothing else to turn to. F*ck I hate the style of songs that litter this album otherwise...

Got the Namesake disc last night and listened to it from start to finish in my car today. Not a weak song to be found! Incredibly catchy stuff!

Yep, my 3rd highest rated modern rock CD of the year... I really love this thing. 'The Movement' is definitely in my top 5-10 songs of the year too. Just a massive tune. But you're right - could't rate anything below an 8/10 on the entire CD. I truly pray they don't release this and just disappear. Like The Sunstreak seem to have done? What the hell happened to them? Huge debut a few years back and now they're gone. :(

Sorry, got sidetracked, but glad I could pass this onto at least one other person. ;)

Im going to re-visit this one as I do remember the songs being pretty cool.........the reason is, Ive been pretty underwhelmed by modern rock this year - even the big guns like Papa Roach and Hinder have failed to blow me away, so looking for something to fill a few gaps.

Im going to re-visit this one as I do remember the songs being pretty cool.........the reason is, Ive been pretty underwhelmed by modern rock this year - even the big guns like Papa Roach and Hinder have failed to blow me away, so looking for something to fill a few gaps.

Namesake, The Seeking, Star City Meltdown, Go Radio and Dorydrive are all well worth checking out and are a few pleasant surprises in modern rock this year for me.

I do like the new Papa Roach, but rated all these ones higher than it.

• 4 weeks later...

If I had to list it, I guess 'Crazy World' would be my most disappointing release in 2012. Not because there's no good songs on it (there is), but just because I expected the world from this and it failed me, pretty solidly. When it's good it's good, but it is soooo different to 'Love drunk' and I don't know why they started writing these few horrible songs which they've never hinted towards on either of their first two great CDs. Like I said, there's still some good tunes on here but probably the biggest letdown of 2012:

01 – The First Time - similar in style to the last album, except much lighter - nice pop rock - 8.00

02 – Life Of The Party - pretty much terrible pop rock - I absolutely hate it - 2.00

03 – Crazy World - really terrible pop rock - nothing at all enjoyable about this - 2.00

04 – Be Your Everything - real nice ballad - love the verses, and the nice chorus hook - 8.00

05 – Stuck In The Middle - Nice solid pop ballad - 7.50

06 – Cheated - probably the best song on the CD - excellent chorus with a great hook - 9.25

07 – Shoot - just a lazy, unappealing pop rocker with a half okay hook, but it's just a weak song - 5.00

08 – Leaving California - great ballad with a great chorus - 9.00

09 – Take Me Home - another real nice balladic kind of mid-tempo tune - more great hooks - 9.00

10 – Red Cup Hands Up Long Brown Hair - another terrible tune with a kind of catchy chorus for some salvation - 5.00

11 – Hey You - decent but not great closer - 7.00

TOTAL SCORE - 70%

Yea. Huge letdown. No balls at all. I may still pick it up if I can nail it for under $10. First Time is as crunchy as it gets and that ain't saying much. Leaving California and Take Me Home are my favorites (based on the 1.5 minute samples at Itunes) followed by Be Your Everything and Stuck in The Middle. Went back for a second listen of Cheated after you stated it was your fave. Still not feeling it but again that is after a minute and a half spin.

Here's the full tune on youtube. It's a 100% pop ballad, actually a lot like Faber Drive, to be honest, moreso than Boys Like Girls. It is pure pop, but there's just something about it I really love. The chorus hook is a delight for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkgAv1xjaM

Yeah it's pretty good but really we are talking about a boy band style song - I mean I

Like a few Take That songs but I wouldn't buy it or listen to it on a regular basis