Boys Like Girls

Geoff

Rather than make this thread purely about the new disc, 'Love drunk', just thought I'd just make a general one on this band. Probably not for all on this site, but imo their debut is one of the under-rated modern rock gems and based on half a spin of the new disc it looks like they're taking off where they left off.

Initial impressions are that the new disc is not quite as good as the debut, but if you're into hook-friendly modern pop rock, I highly recommend this band. If you're not convinced, check out the opener, 'Heart heart heartbreak' on Myspace and tell me you don't love that song:

http://www.myspace.com/boyslikegirls

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, anyone else pick up 'Love drunk'? To me, one of the best modern rock CDs of the year. 'Heart heart heartbreak' is the best opener one could possibly ever ask for, and for the entire duration of this CD there is not a hint of filler. The long closer, 'Go' is probably the weakest song, but still a good ballad. Elsewhere, this album contains some of the biggest, catchiest choruses of the year. Compared to the debut you can tell they had a lifetime to come up with the debut and only a couple of years for the second album, but I'd say that the second album is maybe just a little better. Every song is a gem.

Any other love for this CD? Essential for fans of melodic modern pop rock.

not liking the name of the band, makes them sound like 14 year olds.

never heard of them but I'm bored so gave it a go and listened to about 30 seconds of that one you recommended Geoff 'Heart heart heartbreak' and has bits that have potential, I just don't like the .. not sure what you call it? over dubbing echo or something?

kind of like what Cher does with that "do you believe in love" thing. would be better without it

not liking the name of the band, makes them sound like 14 year olds.

never heard of them but I'm bored so gave it a go and listened to about 30 seconds of that one you recommended Geoff 'Heart heart heartbreak' and has bits that have potential, I just don't like the .. not sure what you call it? over dubbing echo or something?

kind of like what Cher does with that "do you believe in love" thing. would be better without it

Yeah, awful band name. Terrible, in fact. I know what you're saying - they do use some modern effects. It helps if you already like bands like Forever the Sickest Kids who use an abundance of effects. It would bother me in another lifetime, but in these cases the songs are just too freakin' good... plus, they still have decent balls behind the odd sounds. :)

I have not checked this out yet.

Yes, terrible name. 'Men Like Women' would be better. :blink:

Do we have a thread for terrible band names? I don't have much luck with the search feature so I'm not trying...tonight anyway.

• 1 month later...
Bought it off Amazon.com pre release but my US shipping address is in North Carolina so I'm waiting for my friend to bring it with her at Christmas. Refuse to listen to it until it arrives. But I know I won't be disappointed in the least!

Did you end up getting this one, mate?

I'm going to keep bumping this thread like I did that Change of Pace one until I'm satisfied with the response. :lol: I fear the band name is keeping people away from what I honestly believe is one of the best CDs of the year. Every spin it climbs up a few places on my best of list for the year and pretty soon it'll overtake Monty Are I at number one. Every song is so awesome and I really can see no excuse why melodic rock fans won't love this. At times it's almost like a slightly more pop / current version of Wig Wam! (And NO, I do not mean it sounds like Wig Wam - they just remind me of them in song-writing objective). The chrouses are so f*cking huge and catchy. The fact is, if 'Heart heart heartbreak' popped up on a Wig Wam CD people would be wild about this stuff. Brilliant disc and contrary to what I said above, I do prefer this to the great debut.

Bought it off Amazon.com pre release but my US shipping address is in North Carolina so I'm waiting for my friend to bring it with her at Christmas. Refuse to listen to it until it arrives. But I know I won't be disappointed in the least!

Did you end up getting this one, mate?

I'm going to keep bumping this thread like I did that Change of Pace one until I'm satisfied with the response. :lol: I fear the band name is keeping people away from what I honestly believe is one of the best CDs of the year. Every spin it climbs up a few places on my best of list for the year and pretty soon it'll overtake Monty Are I at number one. Every song is so awesome and I really can see no excuse why melodic rock fans won't love this. At times it's almost like a slightly more pop / current version of Wig Wam! (And NO, I do not mean it sounds like Wig Wam - they just remind me of them in song-writing objective). The chrouses are so f*cking huge and catchy. The fact is, if 'Heart heart heartbreak' popped up on a Wig Wam CD people would be wild about this stuff. Brilliant disc and contrary to what I said above, I do prefer this to the great debut.

She's coming in the day after Christmas so I still haven't heard it yet. Plan on playing it the second it is in my possession.

I saw Boys Like Girls on tour with Butch Walker about 6 or 7 times in the summer of '06. I remember thinking they were pretty darned good. I don't know why I hadn't (other than the exorbitant cost of all the travel/food I was doing) picked up their disc at one of the shows (unless there wasn't one available), but I imagine I had it on my list.

That is, until Chicago. We (about 6 or 8 of us from the show) were across the street, after a show, eating at Wrigleyville, I think it was, and we bumped into some drunk guy who was absolutely out of his mind funny, either entertaining (our whole group, his friends, and some others) or pissing off (one snooty Wisconsan (or is it Wisconsinite?) and keeping one guy from focusing on his cooking/serving.

Anyway, a couple of the guys from BLG come over to grab a bite to eat. Of course, we're already to invite them in (lots of us had seen them many times and were somewhat recognizable to them) when the drunk guy goes "Hey! You're that guy!", having no clue who he is, but seeing the way he was dressed/wearing sunglasses near midnight. Anyway, someone outside called to the guy (lead singer I think) and as the drunk guy was blabbering to him (never said anything offensive; stupid maybe, but nowhere near offensive), the BLG guy flips off the entire entourage and walks away.

Many of us, since it was the end of the tour, swore off BLG after that. (I don't know how many actually stuck with it, but I did.)

So you're saying I should give them another try? (I thought they were good live.)

So you're saying I should give them another try? (I thought they were good live.)

DEFINITELY!!! As a fan of Butch I would be blown away if you didn't like these guys. I guess it's quite similar in style to his 'Left of self-centered' CD or a slightlier more sugar-coated version of Marvelous 3.

Mate, with avatars like that you really need to post more!!! ;)

DEFINITELY!!! As a fan of Butch I would be blown away if you didn't like these guys. I guess it's quite similar in style to his 'Left of self-centered' CD or a slightlier more sugar-coated version of Marvelous 3.

Mate, with avatars like that you really need to post more!!! ;)

backed....did you post something hsf ;-))

• 1 month later...

Jay, did you end up picking this up?

Any thoughts, Shamus?

Tim (2), where you at man? Didn't you like this band too?

I'm seriously having a hard time coping with the fact that this release is not on the lips of every modern rock appreciater on this board. It's so fantastic my ears have multiple orgasms each time I hear it (10 orgasms in total one for each of the first 10 songs).

Just a quick rundown because I always get around to doing this with every album that blows me away:

1. Heart Heart Heartbreak ; the biggest, catchiest most delightful anthem of 2009. Not even Wig Wam have something this massive on their new album. Big up-tempo commercial rocker.

2. Love Drunk ; not to be outdone in catchiness, the title track is a gem too. The moderate dance-ish vibe in the chorus may put the weak off, but persist with this and it's one of the catchiest songs you'll ever hear. Call me a gaybo, but I love the lyrics too.

3. She's Got a Boyfriend Now ; a few more modern effects in the verses that could put off the impatient and weak-minded (:lol:) but this is one of my favourite choruses on the CD. Two parts, each as equally massive as the other. Hooks like they're oxygen and another ridiculously catchy tune. Again, just dig the lyrics. Not anything special, just appealing.

4. Two Is Better Than One ; the duet with Taylor Swift. Call me a soft-cock, but man I just love this tune! I am generally not a fan of duets at all but this is one of my favourites ever. Again, just nicely written sentiment and a totally irrisistable ballad. I lose myself to this song each time I hear it. Taylor, you sexy, sexy girl.

5. Contagious ; poppy intro drops into a cool uptempo rocking tune. Again, the chorus just takes grasp of your head and squeezes your face through your ears, smashes your nose and eyes and eats your hair while beating your cheeks with your anus. Huge, catchy stuff that makes you want to intercourse it immediately. Another totally killer song.

6. Real Thing ; almost got an 80's pop rock kind of vibe, this one. The verses on this CD may not be immediate to everyone first time round (even me, as I said this was comparable with the killer debut, when in actually fact this DESTROYS the debut, imo) but man they grow on you. This is one of the weaker tracks, imo, but comparable to some of the best songs of 2009 on lesser albums. Another huge catchy chorus with gigantic hooks for everyone.

7. Someone Like You ; ballad time again. Another song I love. Maybe a bit average and uneventful on first listen, but I like the lyrics again and really love this more discreet hook in the chorus. Beautiful tune.

8. The Shot Heard Round the World ; if you bother repairing your face after it's exploded during several songs on the album already, don't even bother with the band-aids before this one. This one is a f*cking monster. Huge chorus, killer verses (my favourite on the CD) and another perfect tune. One of the catchiest.

9. The First One ; Stunning, stunning mid-tempo piece of ear jewelry. If possible I'd like to cuddle up to my wife on one side at night, and this song on the other side. Absolutely sensational, not for a second forsaking an incredible hook. Beautiful, sentimental, catchy... more perfection.

10. Chemicals Collide ; one last uptempo rocker to close the album with. Another big chorus, great verses and a catchy hook. Very enjoyable song.

11. Go ; Very laid back end to the album. Acoustic album. Still a nice tune and on most albums this would probably be a highlight. Here it's just a nice, gentle close to an excellent CD.

I was slightly underwhelmed by this one initially and I'm sure it's partly because of my sky high expectations for it after their debut. I wanted to give it awhile to see how it holds up after multiple spins.

I can hear the growth in their writing but for me I would have preferred a carbon copy of their st which (like We the Kings and Sparks the Rescue's Autumn) perfectly mimics the All American Rejects sound I love so much.

Love the Aldo Nova Fantasy opening riff in Heart Heart Heartbreak but I loathe the heavy effects throughout the instrumentation and vocals. Then the out of this world chorus goes beyond redemption and instantly catapults the track into my top 2 next to Love Drunk which is absolutely epic and ranks along side all my faves from their st disc.

Tracks 3 and 6: no balls but highly infectious sing along choruses. Both no doubt sound great live but just like the Friday Night Boys debut would benefit from some more crunch.

Track 5 is getting tons of airplay around here and it is a tender song but for me it is a momentum killer where it is.

Contagious is exactly what I expect from this band. Love it. Fourth favorite track.

Track 7 is okay but boring. Almost a country rock ballad feel to it. Guess I just prefer the power ballads of the 80s.

Track 8 isn't a personal fave whereas track 9 is probably one spin away from displacing the opening track from the #2 spot. Killer!!!

Like Chemicals Collide a lot, too.

Not a fan of the closer and find myself skipping over it more often than not.

Still prefer the debut but this one is gaining momentum with every spin. A little too polished overall but nobody can deny this is catchy as hell. Very pleased with it.

Ah, nice one mate. Good to see. Yeah, my favourite tracks seem pretty similar to yours. I also didn't think this could compare to the debut at first, but yeah, as I said... overtook it easily after a few spins. I can definitely understand people being taken aback by the modern effects on this one, but as you say, once you get past it the songs just completely take over.

On another note, I've never heard of Sparks the Rescue's Autumn. Will have to take a look. Thanks for the unintentional recommendation. ;) Do you also have the Forever the Sickest Kids CD? Again, a lot of modern effects but ridiculously catchy. Awesome CD.

Haven't heard Forever. I'll have to preview it through Itunes.

I haven't heard all of Sparks the Rescue but the song Autumn is monstrous! I think I downloaded that track from Purevolume.com. I see the album on ebay for one cent quite often. Just waiting to swoop in and snag one in the very near future.

• 4 months later...

Jeebers f*cking cripes I love this CD! Has anyone else ever checked it out? Above, the "modern effects" were spoken about. It's funny how I don't even hear that anymore. All I hear is these monster catchy rock tunes with the best choruses I've heard put to disc for ages. I was eating a sausage roll and apple as I listened to this yesterday and I cursed them both as they hindered my ability to sing along to this CD... which you can simply not avoid after you've heard it more than once. :)

It seemed to eventually work with A Change of Pace, that when I kept bumping that thread a few people finally caught on. Maybe I'll just keep doing it here. This album, 'Love drunk,' is just too good to be ignored. As I said in another post yesterday, I'd have to list this as my favourite CD of 2009 and it just seems to get better with every listen.

I saw Boys Like Girls on tour with Butch Walker about 6 or 7 times in the summer of '06. I remember thinking they were pretty darned good. I don't know why I hadn't (other than the exorbitant cost of all the travel/food I was doing) picked up their disc at one of the shows (unless there wasn't one available), but I imagine I had it on my list.

That is, until Chicago. We (about 6 or 8 of us from the show) were across the street, after a show, eating at Wrigleyville, I think it was, and we bumped into some drunk guy who was absolutely out of his mind funny, either entertaining (our whole group, his friends, and some others) or pissing off (one snooty Wisconsan (or is it Wisconsinite?) and keeping one guy from focusing on his cooking/serving.

Anyway, a couple of the guys from BLG come over to grab a bite to eat. Of course, we're already to invite them in (lots of us had seen them many times and were somewhat recognizable to them) when the drunk guy goes "Hey! You're that guy!", having no clue who he is, but seeing the way he was dressed/wearing sunglasses near midnight. Anyway, someone outside called to the guy (lead singer I think) and as the drunk guy was blabbering to him (never said anything offensive; stupid maybe, but nowhere near offensive), the BLG guy flips off the entire entourage and walks away.

Many of us, since it was the end of the tour, swore off BLG after that. (I don't know how many actually stuck with it, but I did.)

Okay, okay. If you insist I will tell you about my live experience. Jeez mate, ease up. ;)

But yeah, I was lucky enough to see BLG live last night, after quite some anticipation on my behalf, I must admit. Anyway, I turned up to the joint about 10mins before the doors opened and I have never in my life seen a smaller venue like the one I was at with such a line-up. There were SO many people there. BLG aren't on the radio here, so I didn't know how so many people knew about them. Maybe because Hot Chelle Rae (support) are apparently on the radio here? I don't know. But either way, there were about a million people lined up outside and the funniest thing about it? Pretty much every person I saw was a young teenage girl. :lol: I felt so out of place and walked with my head hung low past the crowd and down the road to McDonalds.

As I ate before the show I was asking myself what I'd done. I felt so out of place it was crazy. Anyway, I ate my meal and walked back to the venue and everyone had gone inside. It was an all ages venue so everyone was already packed up near the stage while the over 18's were in the bar drinking. Which is where I headed. I have to admit, once inside the situation was nowhere near as bad as I first assumed. There were plenty of older (18+) people, both male and female. So with a beer in hand I was settled. Now, to the bands:

Heroes for Hire

Aussie band opened up, and I had no idea they were even on the bill. :lol: I "accidentally" saw them once before, at Soundwave. Since then I heard their new CD and they're pretty good. They put on a good show, but the lead singer had quite a mouth on him for an all ages gig. Not that the kids aren't all swearing enough, I'm sure, but still... I wouldn't personally bother. Good energetic set which I actually enjoyed quite a bit.

Hot Chelle Rae

Not really a fan of these guys, but they were pretty good. Sound was much lower and much clearer. In fact, sound for their set was excellent. They played various songs I was not into, but I do love the ballad of their debut, which they played before my favourite tune, 'The distance'. So that was a wonderful double-up. Elsewhere, the end of their set was pretty cool too. They seemed like nice genuine kids too. Good luck to 'em, and I hope once the trend passes they make some straight rock CDs without the dance undetones.

Boys Like Girls

These guys came on loud and energetic as hell, and it was on from the moment they hit the stage. Opening with 'Love drunk', they sounded awesome and the lead singer is an especially charismatic fellow. They played a good mixture from both albums - 6 from the debut, 7 from 'Lovedrunk' and the good thing about seeing a band with only one filler in their discography, is that you're going to love every song. Unfortunately, they did play their one filler, 'Dance Hall Drug'. And that was the only moment I didn't enjoy. Also, with such a flawless discography it means you'll miss out on some faves too, and I did miss 'The first one', 'The Shot Heard 'Round The World' and 'Chemicals Collide.' But that's just being picky, as otherwise their set selection was perfect. 'Heart heart heartbreak' was probably the best live song I've heard in my life and the 3 ballads in a row that were 'Go', 'Thunder' and 'Two is better than one' was a real treat too. Overall, absolutely loved the whole show! :) Great, great live band. So much heavier than the CD too...

But either way, there were about a million people lined up outside and the funniest thing about it? Pretty much every person I saw was a young teenage girl. :lol: I felt so out of place and walked with my head hung low past the crowd and down the road to McDonalds.

The exact same as what happened at the Simple Plan gig I went to.

I like Simple Plan, but never again will I attend one of their gigs.

But either way, there were about a million people lined up outside and the funniest thing about it? Pretty much every person I saw was a young teenage girl. :lol: I felt so out of place and walked with my head hung low past the crowd and down the road to McDonalds.

:lol: Yeah, I can imagine that would be awkward too. I don't usually care much about stuff like that, especially because I only ever go to concerts by myself anyway... but it is certainly unsettling. I won't let it stop me seeing a band I really like, though.

The strange thing is, when I was in high school teenage girls only ever liked whatever was huge in the top 40 charts. Since when did they start thinking outside the box and why can't I be 12 years younger and living in this era?! :lol:

If you've not yet heard the band, test this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-c3fPLZgUA

I saw Anberlin a few years back and I was probably the second oldest person there.

Very uncomfortable....

I saw Santana in '96 and I was probably the youngest person there, so I guess it's all even.

:lol: Yeah, I can imagine that would be awkward too. I don't usually care much about stuff like that, especially because I only ever go to concerts by myself anyway... but it is certainly unsettling. I won't let it stop me seeing a band I really like, though.

The strange thing is, when I was in high school teenage girls only ever liked whatever was huge in the top 40 charts. Since when did they start thinking outside the box and why can't I be 12 years younger and living in this era?! :lol:

Yeah ive heard most of it....i think i commented in another thread that I was pretty much 'over' this sound. About the only band i can hack with this sound is Simple Plan and thats only because they rock much harder.

Give me Hinder, Shinedown etc sound any day.......

Yeah ive heard most of it....i think i commented in another thread that I was pretty much 'over' this sound. About the only band i can hack with this sound is Simple Plan and thats only because they rock much harder.

Give me Hinder, Shinedown etc sound any day.......

Simple Plan rock harder than Boys Like Girls? Hmm, can't say I agree with that all, but to each their own. The debut was a bit more slower paced, but 'Love drunk' is much more up-tempo and of a good rocking nature. :)

Compared to Hinder I love both, though BLG obviously have an extensively better vocalist. But in my humble opinion BLG obliterate Shinedown. Shinedown are nice, BLG are spectacular, imo. Hooks don't come bigger than what is featured on 'Love drunk.' :) And having also seen both bands live, BLG absolutely destroy Shinedown in every conceivable way in that department too. Much better songs, infinitely better stage presence, and live BLG are every bit as heavy as Shinedown, without a doubt. :)

I may have to re-listen, but I certainly dont remember anything on there rocking as hard as 'Take My Hand' or 'The End' or say 'What If' or even 'Me Against The World' from the other album.....these are the types of songs I like from Simple Plan.

Dont get me wrong there are some pretty good songs on BLG like 'Shot Heard Round The World', 'Love Drunk' etc, but nothing I would say that is better than Simple Plan....listen to them back to back.

As for BLG being better than 'The Sound Of Madness'......to each their own is indeed the correct statement. The Sound Of Madness destroys BLG in every department. Attitude, vocals, guitars everything. Also doesnt sound like something my 3 year old daughter would listen to ;-))

Cheers