What is the rarest album you own?

Motley Mike

Yeah, I suppose their's a difference between what's rare and what's in demand. So I'm not really sure where mine fall.

Hot Boy - Barely Legal

Intuition - Turn it On

Jillson - Deadly Girl

KK Wilde - Rock N Roll

Moriah - Mirror Man

I still think people confuse "rare" for "expensive."

The rarest albums I have are two from a Punk Rock band called Seed (S/T in '99, and Rockstar in '01). There were probably only a few hundred pressed of each, but I probably couldn't even give them away. Nobody knows who this band is.

Good point. I suspect a lot of us own demos and/or 'self-released' material that had a limited run, and so would be considered 'rare' ... perhaps the question should be what's the most expensive/highest value album in your collection?

• 2 months later...

Rarest for me is Junkyard - Put Em On Ten and Pull the Knobs Off because I didn't know about it when it came out & then spent 3 years trying to find it. Now I never see one listed anywhere.

Another is the Bernie Torme "Official Bootleg"

The last real rare one I have is an original press copy of Blind Gypsy - Never Coming Home

I also have a copy of 3 Guns West - S/T. I know that's rare. It was my uncle's band & they were never heard of lol

Karpet's comment is my favorite ever and one I have been living by yelling to people for years!

I can think of a thousand bands in my collection that fall into that category, that have music far superior to the Ebay top 10 "rarest" that only myself and James Staryder Gebbia (RIP) has ever heard of and/or appreciated.

One that immediately comes to mind is a Seattle band (locals are my fave's) called Hello Goodbye. Released a cd in the early 90's very Enuff Z Nuff/Redd Kross like, I sent a copy to LV Kix/Dave and he has it in his top rotation still after about 10 years, yes its that good and alas unknown to EVERYONE!

The rarest I own and I may have mentioned it earlier on in this thread is a long play by my pal Jim Paulson (The Lemons, New American Shame, The Best Kissers, Point Defience) of a band he was in a half dozen years ago called Top Heavy Crush. The cd in question is a studio made cdr of which the engineer made 5 copies right on the spot after the recordings were completed. No artwork, but the disc has printed album info on it. Killer music, but NO ONE will EVER hear it, except for me. :)

I also have, which I think its very cool and I started a thread here about it and that is a Samantha 7 pre-release/demo. Track order is different and so are a number of the mixes. I've searched high and low for info and have found none!

• 5 years later...

Most of my rarities are on vinyl:

On vinyl:  I have a copy of Kings'X's first band - "Sneak Preview" on LP - Apparently less than 300 copies are in existence. Most were destroyed since the band didnt like the final product. 

On Cd:

Shanghai (1991) - Take another bite (Japanese pressing)- obscure hair metal band

White heat (1989) - we never heard of you either Obscure AOR group from western canada - produced by gil moore of triumph - good group

worrall (1991) - original pressing. produced by jim gaines (well known producer) from canada. aor mould. good group

Simon Says original 7 track CD, with autographs from the band to a girl in their thanks.There was 500 pressed on CD and 500 cassette.

Found this down here in Australia in recycle clothing store , for 50 cents.

Since then I have got the re issue version with extra 6 tracks , and I am keeping the original and it's not for sale..

At same store I found the Ana Black and Pharoah  vinyl albums.

• My Little Pony
8 hours ago, Doggy said:

Simon Says original 7 track CD, with autographs from the band to a girl in their thanks.There was 500 pressed on CD and 500 cassette.

Found this down here in Australia in recycle clothing store , for 50 cents.

Since then I have got the re issue version with extra 6 tracks , and I am keeping the original and it's not for sale..

At same store I found the Ana Black and Pharoah  vinyl albums.

There's gotta be a story there. How the fuck did it end up so far from home?

15 hours ago, yamaha94 said:

Most of my rarities are on vinyl:

On vinyl:  I have a copy of Kings'X's first band - "Sneak Preview" on LP - Apparently less than 300 copies are in existence. Most were destroyed since the band didnt like the final product. 

On Cd:

Shanghai (1991) - Take another bite (Japanese pressing)- obscure hair metal band

White heat (1989) - we never heard of you either Obscure AOR group from western canada - produced by gil moore of triumph - good group

worrall (1991) - original pressing. produced by jim gaines (well known producer) from canada. aor mould. good group

is that White Heat that rare? shit i got that, and Shanghai, love that song Big & Sleazy!! LOL killer song

On 9/11/2015 at 8:01 AM, martinsane said:

Karpet's comment is my favorite ever and one I have been living by yelling to people for years!

I can think of a thousand bands in my collection that fall into that category, that have music far superior to the Ebay top 10 "rarest" that only myself and James Staryder Gebbia (RIP) has ever heard of and/or appreciated.

One that immediately comes to mind is a Seattle band (locals are my fave's) called Hello Goodbye. Released a cd in the early 90's very Enuff Z Nuff/Redd Kross like, I sent a copy to LV Kix/Dave and he has it in his top rotation still after about 10 years, yes its that good and alas unknown to EVERYONE!

The rarest I own and I may have mentioned it earlier on in this thread is a long play by my pal Jim Paulson (The Lemons, New American Shame, The Best Kissers, Point Defience) of a band he was in a half dozen years ago called Top Heavy Crush. The cd in question is a studio made cdr of which the engineer made 5 copies right on the spot after the recordings were completed. No artwork, but the disc has printed album info on it. Killer music, but NO ONE will EVER hear it, except for me. :)

I also have, which I think its very cool and I started a thread here about it and that is a Samantha 7 pre-release/demo. Track order is different and so are a number of the mixes. I've searched high and low for info and have found none!

Why you gotta put that shit out and then say nobody will ever hear it??? whats the big secret?? could be you dont really have it

I probably have a few that are rare, but I wouldn't know which ones.
A couple that might be are Gogmagog, and I have both versions of Tuff - Fist First. Maybe the first one is rare? Probably not lol

Edited by CureTheSane

33 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Almost every rare cd has been booted in the last 10 years so it is difficult to say what is truly rare or not these days.... every day people buy cds on ebay that they think are rare but are almost always boots....

Really good point.   

Between boots, re-issues, re-masters and easily just being able to download most albums, not sure "rare" is really much of a thing anymore.  

I've unloaded a lot of the harder to find CD's I had over the past few years.  I mean, most of them I never even listened to and I only had them to basically look at lol.  I figure once my time comes, my kids will probably just toss them in the trash or something so better off selling them now.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I would've thought that even if there were thousands of copies of a rare CD, it wouldn't detract from the rarity or value of the original. Isn't that the whole point of collecting physical CDs? If not, then you all may as well embrace digital. 

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I would've thought that even if there were thousands of copies of a rare CD, it wouldn't detract from the rarity or value of the original. Isn't that the whole point of collecting physical CDs? If not, then you all may as well embrace digital. 

The original rare cds are still valuable....proving you have an original is the problem.....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I probably have a few that are rare, but I wouldn't know which ones.
A couple that might be are Gogmagog, and I have both versions of Tuff - Fist First. Maybe the first one is rare? Probably not lol

Gogmagog is 12 inch played 45. 3 track EP. Never on CD. Check on Discogs.

Cannot answer that question Karpet, maybe someone moved to Australia and were clean out CD collection.

• My Little Pony
3 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Cannot answer that question Karpet, maybe someone moved to Australia and were clean out CD collection.

Yeah, I wasn't asking you specifically. I'm just saying there must be an interesting story behind it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doggy said:

Gogmagog is 12 inch played 45. 3 track EP. Never on CD. Check on Discogs.

Is this a CD only thread? Didn't notice.
Anyway, I have 2 copies of the vinyl. All 3 songs are damn good :)

On 1/5/2021 at 4:31 AM, Leykis101 said:

Why you gotta put that shit out and then say nobody will ever hear it??? whats the big secret?? could be you dont really have it

It was more akin to no one will give 2 shits to hear it and also the band is defunct, like so many and these masters are (so I am told) owned now by the guy who funded the studio time to record em...

Oh I have them (and would certainly share them) and if I was my own man with my own house I would be able to unpack anything that was mine and enjoy it. My entire collection of media (CD's, vinyl, VHS, DVD's, collectables, et al) are all boxed up (have been for going on 9 years) and may never see the light of day...

Maybe 1 day, I will be like the Iron Maiden song says "I'm not a prisoner, I'm a free man..."

SIGH.    :(

• 6 months later...

I recently got Ideola "Tribal Opera" from a seller on ebay in Australia. It is a very rare Christian new wave cd. I had a search going for 6 years and not one hit. Got it for $30. Couldn't believe my luck. Not sure it is my rarest cd, but it is my most recent glory find. 

I find a lot of the cds I have now I couldn't replace for even double what I paid. It's sad but I think my hobby will be too expensive due to fewer sellers in the near future. Seeing rare releases re-released as digital only is really pathetic and I don't get into it. 

Also, what is ironic are all these artists now claiming vinyl is eco-friendly and cds are "bad for the environment". Seriously, what do they think vinyl is made from? The only reason they push vinyl is it costs the consumer 3x more and is more profitable at the inflated price. 

Edited by auslander

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, auslander said:

I recently got Ideola "Tribal Opera" from a seller on ebay in Australia. It is a very rare Christian new wave cd. I had a search going for 6 years and not one hit. Got it for $30. Couldn't believe my luck. Not sure it is my rarest cd, but it is my most recent glory find. 

I find a lot of the cds I have now I couldn't replace for even double what I paid. It's sad but I think my hobby will be too expensive due to fewer sellers in the near future. Seeing rare releases re-released as digital only is really pathetic and I don't get into it. 

Also, what is ironic are all these artists now claiming vinyl is eco-friendly and cds are "bad for the environment". Seriously, what do they think vinyl is made from? The only reason they push vinyl is it costs the consumer 3x more and is more profitable at the inflated price. 

I agree with the vinyl comment and it probably relates to some of the threads you have put up detailing the revival of CD. I mean kids don't have that much disposable income (like I didn't when younger)  and what are you gonna do spend £30 on the new Adele (aaaahahahah - no seriously - that's probably their mums and dads - lets say Drake) on vinyl or pick up the CD for a tenner, or the charity shop one  week later for £2 haha! 

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...