Lita Ford

metaltrekman

• 2 weeks later...

I gave her the benefit of the doubt when the samples came out a couple weeks ago...and was willing to give it a try. Now that I've heard the whole album, I think it's absolutely atrocious.

My suspicion? This is the RUMBLE CULTURE album that she and husband Gillette were working on at one time many years ago...he sings on this album as much as she does.

• 3 weeks later...
Now that I've heard the whole album, I think it's absolutely atrocious.

Mate, you are being far too generous.

I would go out on a limb and say that this is possibly the worst CD I have ever heard by an artist in "our genre". Yep, that puts it on par with Lynch Mob's 'Smoke This' and Dokken's 'Shadowlife'. I was actually amazed by how bad it actually is. Unfathomably f*cking despicable shit.

Ok this CD got reviewed over at Metal-rules.xcom?? Gave it one.. ONE star!! Dang.. Here's the review for those interested....

Lita Ford

Wicked Wonderland

November 2009

Released: 2009, JLRG Entertainment

Rating: 1.0/5

Reviewer: Aaron Yurkiewicz

So Lita Ford has decided to return to the music scene after a 14 year absence with a new album, WICKED WONDERLAND. In publicity for the album, Ford has cited this to be her “heaviest” and “sexiest” material to date. You’ll notice that the words “good” or “enjoyable” weren’t included in the description. While most hard rock fans will remember Ford for fist pumping anthems like “Kiss Me Deadly” and “Out for Blood,” WICKED WONDERLAND is a techno rock mess that wants to sound current, but is the farthest thing from anything remotely musically current. This album sounds like what many of the hair metal bands did in the 90s to try and remain relevant – updating their sound to something unfamiliar and uncomfortable (remember those releases on CMC Records?), and eventually reverting to a traditionally comfortable rock environment after realizing how embarrassing that period really was. The problem here is that Ford is a decade and a half behind the curve and she doesn’t realize it.

Let’s be frank – Ford was never the most prolific songwriter or performer. More of a novelty within a male dominated music scene, Ford is known for straightforward, catchy hard rock tunes. That being said, the songs on WICKED WONDERLAND are almost unlistenable. Ford has attempted to create a sexually tinged environment within the 15 songs, but there’s nothing remotely erotic or enticing here. Songs about loving it when she “shakes that ass” and spreading one’s legs come across as a desperate attempt to sound like she’s trying to sound sexy and raw, but in the way that your mom would try to sound sexy and raw. Are you uncomfortable yet? Good, because so was I listening to this trainwreck.

Ex-Nitro vocalist and “Mr. Lita Ford” Jim Gillette shares a lot of the vocal spotlight with Ford, which doesn’t help things. Again, Gillette was never the most prolific writer or performer either, but his contributions to the album just make things worse. Rather than give us any of the glass shattering histrionics that the guy was (almost) famous for, he phones in a gruff, tough guy voice who’s trying to sound like a dirty, sexy compliment to the misses, but sounds just as awkward in the process. Imagine your mom and dad talking dirty to each other to spice things up. It’s that unsexy. Are you still uncomfortable? Well you should be.

Musically, the album is entirely forgettable, full of techno flavored effects and generic industrial-lite guitar riffs. Ford’s voice is awash in layers, and layers, and layers of reverb and fog, which erases any of her remaining vocal charisma. Whether it’s because she doesn’t have the pipes anymore or somebody thought just thought it was a good idea, it makes a bad situation even worse. This album is so bad that I am embarrassed. Not embarrassed because of the pseudo sexually charged atmosphere, but embarrassed for Lita Ford herself. I’m embarrassed because she actually thought that WICKED WONDERLAND would put her back on the map. I’m embarrassed because she doesn’t realize how out of touch she is with her fans or the music community in general. I’m embarrassed because I sat through the whole album (several times) trying to find some redeeming value. Guess what? There isn’t any. Go buy yourself a greatest hits collection and forget that WICKED WONDERLAND ever happened.

Er yea ok I think I gonna pass on this one.....

That being said, the songs on WICKED WONDERLAND are almost unlistenable.

Haha, that is an awesome review. I still think it's not quite harsh enough and this comment is completely wrong. The songs are unlistenable. No almost about it.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I think the only way to actually comprehend just how bad this CD is, is to actually hear it. It defies everything you thought was possible in the quest to make terrible music.

Im not hearing good things at all about this CD. Very different than "old' Lita. I dont think fans will want that. I know I wont/dont!! :angry:

I have not bought it or will I but they say it should have named Jim Gillette not Lita Ford , he is suppose to be heard more than her ....... What ever at least she is back for her fans........

Im not hearing good things at all about this CD. Very different than "old' Lita. I dont think fans will want that. I know I wont/dont!! :angry:

I have not bought it or will I but they say it should have named Jim Gillette not Lita Ford , he is suppose to be heard more than her ....... What ever at least she is back for her fans........

I'm not sure about that Jim Gillette comment. He stains the album on several occasions, but most of the damage is done by Lita herself.

As for being back for her fans - sorry mate, not in any way, shape or form has she done that. She has come back and mutilated, destroyed and murdered her ex-fans' ears and that's about it.

The review Dark Star posted is pretty much in line what I've been seeing at other sites.

On the other hand, we have this rave review (!) from Roughedge.com, which I am convinced was written by a paid employee of Lita Ford Incorporated...

The legendary Lita Ford is back with a new sound and a new attitude. Her new release is called "Wicked Wonderland." When you first listen to the tracks you can literally feel the sensuality of the music and her strong musical content combine to make a truly memorable musical experience.

Her new attitude reminds me a bit of Kid Rock and she has a male backup singer with a John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound that makes it that much better. Many years ago, Rough Edge Editor R. Scott Bolton and I saw Lita in Ventura and she looked great then. I saw her on a talk show a few days ago and she looks even better now.

Each song is sung from the heart (and from any other body part she might think of) and she does show her sexuality strongly throughout this release ... and that is not a bad thing as far as I am concerned. This just may make my top 10 for this year.

If Lita's new crap makes this tool's "top 10 for the year," I'd hate to see what the other 9 are. :yikes:

The review Dark Star posted is pretty much in line what I've been seeing at other sites.

On the other hand, we have this rave review (!) from Roughedge.com, which I am convinced was written by a paid employee of Lita Ford Incorporated...

The legendary Lita Ford is back with a new sound and a new attitude. Her new release is called "Wicked Wonderland." When you first listen to the tracks you can literally feel the sensuality of the music and her strong musical content combine to make a truly memorable musical experience.

Her new attitude reminds me a bit of Kid Rock and she has a male backup singer with a John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound that makes it that much better. Many years ago, Rough Edge Editor R. Scott Bolton and I saw Lita in Ventura and she looked great then. I saw her on a talk show a few days ago and she looks even better now.

Each song is sung from the heart (and from any other body part she might think of) and she does show her sexuality strongly throughout this release ... and that is not a bad thing as far as I am concerned. This just may make my top 10 for this year.

If Lita's new crap makes this tool's "top 10 for the year," I'd hate to see what the other 9 are. :yikes:

HAHA!!! Yeah, my thoughts exactly. :lol:

Anyway, congratulations to Lita's Dad for the nice review. I hope Roughedge.com pay him well.

I love this bit in particular:

Her new attitude reminds me a bit of Kid Rock and she has a male backup singer with a John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound

...and this combination of Kid Rock/John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughan is a good thing WHY exactly? :unsure:

I love this bit in particular:

Her new attitude reminds me a bit of Kid Rock and she has a male backup singer with a John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound

...and this combination of Kid Rock/John Mayer/Stevie Ray Vaughan is a good thing WHY exactly? :unsure:

Yea and comparing Jim Gillette to Stevie Ray Vaugn????? :blink:

:rofl2:

Yeah this aint gonna appeal to most people here, and while I am not exactly blown away by this one, I do like it.

Its different, and its not classic Lita, but take it as a different entity, and its got some really good moments.

Personally I think she should have gone the route Pearcy did with Vertex and release this under a band name rather than as as solo album.

Some of the songs on here just dont work, imo, but some of them are catchy as hell.

Not certain where the comparisons are coming from in those reviews as it sounds fuck all like Kid Rock or Stevie Ray Vaughn, when in fact the most obvious comparison is Rob Zombie.

Gillette sounds at times like Rob, at other times like Ozzy Osbourne, but the music has more in comparison with Robs material than any other artist, imo!

• 2023 Gold Donors
Um...this is rather odd. Looks like Lita Ford is attempting to court a new, um, fan base with her new release... and in the process, proves that she does not understand the concept of Too Much Information. :blink:

In a first, Metal Queen Lita Ford Breaks Song from New Album on Leading Fetish Site Stockroom.com

In an innovative music marketing move, heavy metal queen Lita Ford will release a single from “Wicked Wonderland,” her first album in 15 years, on Stockroom.com, the world's leading fetish site, starting Monday, September 28th. The album will be released and available for purchase at http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Wonderland-Li...8628&sr=1-1 and at stores across the country on October 6th.

It is believed to be the first time an important music release has been launched through a website catering to the alternative fetish lifestyle.

Wicked Wonderland's erotic song “Bed,” which explores themes of bondage, kink and power exchange in a strong and highly artistic style, will be available exclusively on Stockroom.com prior to the album's release.

“My husband Jim Gillette and I have carved out our own path to develop a wonderful and close family life,” said Lita. “Though we're a long-married couple, we both have very active imaginations, including being kinky with each other, and that's what this album is about. It's sort of a sexual autobiography. We've partnered up with Stockroom.com because it's our favorite outfitter for kink products.”

While previewing “Bed,” fans of Lita and Stockroom will also be able to view and order from “Lita's Collection,” (stockroom.com/litaford/) special selection of some of the fetish gear that Lita and Jim have enjoyed, along with her personal choice of Syren Latex fashion styles.

The first 100 orders on Stockroom.com to use the source code “LITA” at checkout beginning Monday, September 28 will receive a free “Wicked Wonderland” CD as well as an additional 10% off their entire Stockroom purchase, a discount offer which will be extended through December 31.

“Wicked Wonderland” is being released on the JLRG Entertainment label, which is owned and operated by the couple. Lita and Gillette (formerly with the band “Nitro”) are touring together with QUEENSRYCHE in October and November. To see tour dates visit www.myspace.com/litaford.

Lita started playing guitar when she was 11 years old and joined the all girl rock band “The Runaways” as lead guitarist when she was 17 in 1975. The band split in 1979 and some of Lita's solo hits have included “Kiss Me Deadly,” “Close My Eyes Forever,” “Gotta Let Go, “Back to the Cave" and “Shot of Poison” which was nominated for a Grammy in the best Female Vocal category as was “Kiss Me Deadly.”

About Stockroom:

Joel Tucker founded Stockroom, Inc in 1988 and took it online in 1989. The company is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year operating out of a 30,000 square foot three-story workshop and retail space on Sunset Boulevard in L.A. The vertically integrated facility combines leather and latex production, shipping, receiving and warehousing with design, executive and sales offices and a retail boutique that was awarded “Best Fetish Store” by Los Angeles magazine. The company's main retail site, stockroom.com was recognized as Web Retailer of the Year in the 2009 XBiz Awards.

l_b11e444abdca453aaa7cb96b7446d8ce.jpg

Um...OK, twenty years ago, reading about Lita's kinky sex life probably would've provided me with a lifetime of jackoff fodder. However, when you see her at age fifty-something posing in bondage gear in her living room (they didn't even bother to crop out the collage of her kids' pictures on the wall in the background, for Chrissake!) it just seems a little...er...disturbing and weird. :unsure:

By the way, do you think that they keep that bondage swingy thing in their living room at all times? That must make for awkward family gatherings. (Lita: "We're sooooo glad you could come visit, Aunt Sadie. Look here, this is my faaaavorite photo of Little Jimmy Gillette Jr. -- and oh look over here, it's the bondage swing that he was conceived in!...Aunt Sadie? Aunt Sadie? OMIGOD! JIM, CALL 911!")

Then again, back in the 80s I had daydreams about Lita that looked kinda like that above photo - except that Doro Pesch or Lorraine (Femme Fatale) Lewis was in place of the guy. :lol:

Puts a new meanin' to the word "kinky" doesn't it? :o I do think that photo is from their bedroom, tho. They'd be even more dumberer to have that, er, *ahem* equipment & family photos in the livin' room. Are there many, if any married musician couples that record stuff well together? :screwy: Quite a few achieve their own levels of success doin' their own thang, imho.

On a different note......one of the few thang's missin' is Jim barkin' like.....well, ya know?! :P WOOF!

On a different note......one of the few thang's missin' is Jim barkin' like.....well, ya know?! :P WOOF!

On a serious note, my two pugs barking at strangers sounds about 10 times better than this CD. And I only wish I was joking. :(

• 2 weeks later...

On a serious note, my two pugs barking at strangers sounds about 10 times better than this CD. And I only wish I was joking. :(

Geoff,

That actually sounds like a good album Two Pugs - Barking At Strangers

thumb-pugs1024.png

You have no idea how quick I'd buy that CD mate. :lol: It already looks awesome.