new Bon Jovi

66 mustang

Bon Jovi seems to suffer from the same problem here that Steel Panther suffers from, people telling the people that like it that they wont like it for long or they are wrong for liking it.

I haven't read any comments like that, just people giving their opinions. Same happened with Steel Panther, some people liked it & some didn't. These are just bands that spark a lot of debate.

I'd also be interested to see how much longevity this has, for those that like it, because I found that after 3 listens of the single I was completely done with it. Same applies to the reasonably listenable songs off their last couple of discs. I wonder whether this might go into people's Top 10 lists now and then be forgotten about at the end of the year....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bon Jovi seems to suffer from the same problem here that Steel Panther suffers from, people telling the people that like it that they wont like it for long or they are wrong for liking it.

I haven't read any comments like that, just people giving their opinions. Same happened with Steel Panther, some people liked it & some didn't. These are just bands that spark a lot of debate.

Well the fact that people seem to want to tell people that they wont be listening to it for long, or that they dont sing along to it like older albums, suggests people seem to think that their opinions should be followed by others as well.

I'd also be interested to see how much longevity this has, for those that like it, because I found that after 3 listens of the single I was completely done with it. Same applies to the reasonably listenable songs off their last couple of discs. I wonder whether this might go into people's Top 10 lists now and then be forgotten about at the end of the year....

I'd be surprised to see this end up many tops 10 lists this year, but I do think it's a decent disc. Not as strong as I first thought, perhaps, but definitely not bad at all and better than a lot of other stuff I've heard this year.

I agree with Howdy, though - people speak a lot of shit about this band for what seems like the sake of it rather than saying anything with substance.

Just like EVERY Bon Jovi album I've purchased after Keep The Faith, this one has one track that I could easily put on a Greatest Hits comp (so long as I get a full 74 minute CD), a couple others that I are okay (compared to other "current" bands), and a bunch more that have me scratching my head wondering where it all went wrong.

I've finally given up thinking Bon Jovi might actually release an ENTIRE album of good ROCK songs ever again. The new stuff might fine for the band's younger audience or for the soccer moms who still think they have a chance to seduce Jon, or for anyone else who enjoys this style of music... but for me (an old-school Bon Jovi fan), it's over, and I was honestly one of their biggest fans from 1984 - 1995.

Oh well, there's plenty of other stuff out there for me to listen to, and I can always pull out Slippery when I get the hankering.

• 2 weeks later...
Heard this again yesterday... yeah, still diggin' it. They did well this time.

Me too mate. As I said, this is definitely the best thing they have done since 'These Days' by a mile. It runs out of steam a little towards the end, but the rest is very solid.

Me too mate. As I said, this is definitely the best thing they have done since 'These Days' by a mile. It runs out of steam a little towards the end, but the rest is very solid.

:doh:

:doh:

:fu:

On the topic of Bon Jovi, I never knew they had a live At Madison Square Garden DVD :unsure: .

Bon Jovi - Live At Madison Square Garden DVD

Its brand new :P

I know, its still wrapped :lol:

Well its better than 'Crush' and 'Bounce', but then thats not exactly difficult is it.

IMO this is nowhere near as good HAND.....euro version with bonus tracks that is.

& its about a million miles from 'These Days' or anything prior.

Just IMO of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Speaking about the new DVD, Live At Madison Square Garden - I own it and it's superb. Very good setlist for my taste, good shape of Jon's voice, impressive sound and sight.

I've given Bon Jovi my fair share of whacks over recent times but this one will be different !!!!!!!!

What Vytas has said about this DVD is spot on......This DVD is a must for any old Bon Jovi fans who liked them when they rocked....Just check out "Dry County" on this !!!!!!!

A great set list {except for 1 or 2 off Lost Highway}, great sound, great visual and just an all round great show.

The great sound was also helped by a second guitarist lurking in the background along with the entire band being in really top form indeed.

Jon's voice was very good and Richie doing the vocals on "I'll Be There For You" has to be seen and heard as this one really surprised me just how good he was !!!!

This is the Bon Jovi I remember and I thoroughly recommend to all who once liked them, to go out and get this one pronto !!!!!!!!

A brilliant DVD with Bon Jovi at their best :tumbsup:

Speaking about the new DVD, Live At Madison Square Garden - I own it and it's superb. Very good setlist for my taste, good shape of Jon's voice, impressive sound and sight.

I've given Bon Jovi my fair share of whacks over recent times but this one will be different !!!!!!!!

What Vytas has said about this DVD is spot on......This DVD is a must for any old Bon Jovi fans who liked them when they rocked....Just check out "Dry County" on this !!!!!!!

A great set list {except for 1 or 2 off Lost Highway}, great sound, great visual and just an all round great show.

The great sound was also helped by a second guitarist lurking in the background along with the entire band being in really top form indeed.

Jon's voice was very good and Richie doing the vocals on "I'll Be There For You" has to be seen and heard as this one really surprised me just how good he was !!!!

This is the Bon Jovi I remember and I thoroughly recommend to all who once liked them, to go out and get this one pronto !!!!!!!!

Dearie :doh: Me.......

Have tried to listen to this band over recent years and just can't anymore as it does nothing for me and my wife is a big fan of them and the last 4 releases have left her out in the cold as well.They seem to me to just be going through the motions.

Have tried to listen to this band over recent years and just can't anymore as it does nothing for me and my wife is a big fan of them and the last 4 releases have left her out in the cold as well.They seem to me to just be going through the motions.

My missus the same but she loved this DVD.......I'm tellin' ya, it's a good one :tumbsup:

My missus the same but she loved this DVD.......I'm tellin' ya, it's a good one :tumbsup:

Our sister in-law will get it so we will watch it at their place one night with some beers.

Just popped this in for the first time (ie. just pressed play to the mp3s i just downloaded)... and... yeh this sucks. I love These Days, Bounce and HAND...the country album was the most boring album ive heard...and this is pretty close. The first 4 songs have been skipped half way through. Seriously if you got rid of the Jon's voice you couldnt tell this was Bon Jovi.

wow :yikes:

coming from you Dave that means ALOT, i have to get this DVD in my grubby little hands ASAP!!!

it's funny that people mention the quality of the vocals on the dvd. That was one of the first things i noticed. I've seen Bon Jovi live quite a few times over the past 10 years and haven't heard the vocals sounding like that in a long while. Jon's vocals have been very nasaly of late, but there seems to be more body or grunt to the vocals on this dvd.

which leads me to 3 theories....

1) Singing like he did on the dvd causes him a bit of trouble (ie with his damaged voice) so he brought out the big voice for the dvd filming, whereas usually he has to protect his voice a bit more, or

2) there has been a bit of touching up of the vocals, or

3) i'm completely mistaken

But, yes.... there is definite noticible difference to the vocals on this dvd.

it's funny that people mention the quality of the vocals on the dvd. That was one of the first things i noticed. I've seen Bon Jovi live quite a few times over the past 10 years and haven't heard the vocals sounding like that in a long while. Jon's vocals have been very nasaly of late, but there seems to be more body or grunt to the vocals on this dvd.

which leads me to 3 theories....

1) Singing like he did on the dvd causes him a bit of trouble (ie with his damaged voice) so he brought out the big voice for the dvd filming, whereas usually he has to protect his voice a bit more, or

2) there has been a bit of touching up of the vocals, or

3) i'm completely mistaken

But, yes.... there is definite noticible difference to the vocals on this dvd.

I thought he sounded pretty good when i saw them in 06 and this is when Bon Jovi were the only band i listened to :P

but saying that i think its likely that they all put more effort in for the purpose of the DVD, isnt it the first release from them in HD and 7.1?