Musician Deaths

LV KIX

We have had a couple of threads lately that have dealt with the deaths of musicians. I was curious to which musician deaths have affected members here the most, which musicians do you miss the most?

As for me, The two that affected me the most would have to be Joey Ramone and Sandy West of The Runaways. It is still hard for me to grasp the fact that I will never see the Ramones again. What a great live band. I consider myself lucky to have seen them maybe 7 or 8 times... still wish I could have another chance to see them. The Runaways is one of my favorite bands of all times. In fact, this is the band that sent me down the musical path I have followed. To this day my favorite song is one by The Runaways... "Waitin' For The Night". It has been my favorite song for 30 years now (I somehow don't think it will ever be replaced). Though it has been nearly 30 years since The Runaways have played together or released anything new Sandy's death shook me up more then any other. She tried for 25 years to get The Runaways to reunite (if only for a few shows). There were a few times it looked possible but it never happened. I believe if Sandy was still alive there might have been hope for at least a show or two. With a new movie about The Runaways in the works it appears that the surviving members are working out differences that prevented a reunion. But I'm 100% sure it will never happen without Sandy West.

OK... Let me hear from you all....

I guess for me the biggest shame was Gregg Fulkerson. In all honesty, his recent projects had not been too good at all, but you can never write off someone responsible for the Blue Tears debut. I'd always have listened to his new music with anticipation.

Mine off the top of my head would be:

:bowdown: Boz Burrell

:bowdown: Cozy Powell

:bowdown: John Bonham

:bowdown: Philip Lynott

:bowdown: Ronnie Van Zant

:bowdown: Tony Thompson

:bowdown: Randy Rhoads

I'm sure there is more ...

Criss Oliva

Brad Delp :crying:

Criss Oliva

Both of them for sure !!!!!!!

Great list Dave that would pretty much match mine, although I would add Bon Scott aswell :tumbsup:

Powell, Bonham and Thompson, what a trio of power house drumming that is, never bettered in the rock world in my opinion (maybe add Ian Paice to make it up to four)

Nice including the late great Phil Lynott and Ronnie VZ aswell, as they were both brilliant at what they did. Boz Burrell was a nice player and will always make my list of great Bassists. Randy R's would have been a huge star had he lived and that he was a major influence on many guitarists goes without saying too.

He's dead? Fuck me.

He's dead? Fuck me.

Suicide in 2007. -_-

Joey Ramone, Criss Oliva, Eric Carr, Carl Albert (Vicious Rumors), Midnight (Crimson Glory)

Cliff Burton

He would never have let Metallica release all that garbage after the black album.

Phil Lynott - has it really been 23 years since he died?

Randy Rhoads - he was just getting started

Ray Gillen

Cozy Powell

Keith Moon

John Entwistle

Frank Sinatra

I'd give up MANY of my concert experiences just to have seen Frank once. (I wish someone in my family was into him/music at all and would have taken me to see him when I was younger so I could have seen him before he was TOO old to perform well/admirably.)

I've read many books, have a few bootlegs, have seen a DVD and I'm bummed that I never got to see the Chairman of the Board in action (in person).

(As far as deaths of just about any celebrity, I feel shock and maybe a quick twinge of loss, but not any overwhelming sense of sadness. That's reserved for people I truly care for.)

Great list Dave that would pretty much match mine, although I would add Bon Scott aswell :tumbsup:

Powell, Bonham and Thompson, what a trio of power house drumming that is, never bettered in the rock world in my opinion (maybe add Ian Paice to make it up to four)

Nice including the late great Phil Lynott and Ronnie VZ aswell, as they were both brilliant at what they did. Boz Burrell was a nice player and will always make my list of great Bassists. Randy R's would have been a huge star had he lived and that he was a major influence on many guitarists goes without saying too.

Jez, you are spot on about them being powerhouse drummers and If anyone ever needs to know the amount of talent Tony Thompson had, just check out "No You Don't" off the Crown Of Thorns S/T album.

That's what you call powerhouse drumming :tumbsup:

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna get that album and give it a spin now !!!!

• 2023 Gold Donors

A few I can think of.......

Ronnie Van Zant

Allen Collins

Steve & Cassie Gaines

Leon Wilkeson

Billy Powell

Jakson Spires

Hughie Thomasson

Billy Jones

Tommy Bolin

Randy Rhoads

Felix Pappalardi

Marcel Jacob

John Bonham

Phil Lynott

Jimi Hendrix

Mitch Mitchell

Noel Redding

Jimmy Dewar

Bon Scott

Brian Jones

Keith Moon

John Entwhistle

Brad Delp

Frank Zappa

Jerry Garcia

too many........R.I.P.!!!!!!!

Frank Sinatra

I'd give up MANY of my concert experiences just to have seen Frank once. (I wish someone in my family was into him/music at all and would have taken me to see him when I was younger so I could have seen him before he was TOO old to perform well/admirably.)

I've read many books, have a few bootlegs, have seen a DVD and I'm bummed that I never got to see the Chairman of the Board in action (in person).

(As far as deaths of just about any celebrity, I feel shock and maybe a quick twinge of loss, but not any overwhelming sense of sadness. That's reserved for people I truly care for.)

Too true Jay. I remember reading his book back in junior high and when my buds saw him at the fairgrounds...15 years ago? I couldn't spend the then $45.00 a ticket, but woould have loved to have seen him and especially with the rest of the rat pack.

And Ugh thanks for bringing up Layne, his death get's so run over by Cobains its a shame and let me tell you Layne was one of the nicest people I have ever shared space with.

Dubrow comes to mind that was a total shock and then to have it turn into a drug thing was just a sad event.

Dave Prichard is another that bums me out a lot.

Mia Zapata's death shook the foundations of Seattle and her death was too soon and a tragedy of massive magnitude.

And lastly, for now, Landrew the love child aka Andrew Wood from Mother Love Bone. Amazing talent and a crying shame for music as a whole.

Mia Zapata's death shook the foundations of Seattle and her death was too soon and a tragedy of massive magnitude.

Yes.. That was quite tragic. I doubt many here are familiar with Zapata or The Gits, but I too believe Mia had alot to offer the music community. Actually it was very evident that the musical community had already taken notice of Mia. Many artists contributed both time and money to find the killer. Long after the authorities had quit sinking money and time into the case donations to hire private investigaters were pouring in. I thought I remember hearing a couple years ago that the killer had been found. I never did hear about a trial or anything else.