I, Napoleon?

Motley Mike

I bought this album sometime around 1999 or so back when I was ordering CDs from a paper mail order catalogue (before internet).

Back then, with no YouTube etc I pretty much relied on the discription by which ever retailer I was ordering from, usually whichever band they were comparing them to. Cannot remember for the life of me who these guys were compared to, but it was obviously enough for me to take a punt and order a copy.

What I do remember though is playing the CD, saying "What the fuck?" and thinking it was some kind of joke.

The only song I kind of enjoyed was "Come back soon", but only because it made me laugh (it was catchy though).

It did not stay in my collection long and these days all I still have is a digital copy that never gets played.

Despite the story above, it still amazes me that this band got signed to such a large label. It doesn't surprise me that Geffen did'nt promote them any further.

• 1 year later...

hello,

regarding Steve Batky aka Steve Napoleon: someone recently reached out to me to reminisce about Ottawa drummers active in the '80s, and got me wondering whatever happened to my high school chum & fellow drummer Steve Batky (we studied with the same drum teacher, and both played in the school band) … I've only just learned of his career with Witchkiller & I, Napoleon, and then stumbled upon this thread. If anyone knows where he can be reached (or if there’ s any truth to the unfortunate comments here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erx4VazCAK8) it'd be most appreciated.

cheers,

sr