White Widdow

melodicrockoz

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good is the debut CD? I thought about asking for it as a birthday present, but I am very concerned about Jez's comments that it has too many keys...

How good is the debut CD? I thought about asking for it as a birthday present, but I am very concerned about Jez's comments that it has too many keys...

Fookin' good as far as I am concerned ! But I love keys ....

The amount of keys are not the issue mate, it's the blandness of the material that's the problem...

The amount of keys are not the issue mate, it's the blandness of the material that's the problem...

I listened to a few tracks on Youtube last night, and it's a "no" from me. The songs were okay, but didn't grab me and I can't imagine I'd keep playing it.

This album is definately a killer release! My reveiw of it will post at Sleezeroxx any second, but in a nutshell: buy this cd and play it over and over and over! It is that good.

Backed ! And I'm looking forward to your review, Terry ! :drink:

I get that the songs aren't ground breaking and some aren't that memorable but I can't believe fans of the genre, the same fans who praised H.E.A.T and Brother Firetribe whould not love the White Widdow. I'll certainly pick up the bands next release and hope they make even more memorable songs and eclipse this great debut.

Tim's got it right.

Not a bad album by any means though, definitely worth picking up.

As suggested earlier, I think I'll give this one a miss. I don't hate it, but the songs don't really grab me and I have new releases from Blackrain, Vicious Rumors and others to find money for.

Brilliant disc and definitely worth picking up. That's an order, James. Change your mind asap.

And for the record, despite Jez's heavy critisism of the CD all year you'll do well to note that it still finished very high up in his best of 2010 list. So maybe it was more to do with being unable to acknowledge something awesome coming out of Australia rather than him actually having a real problem with the CD. ;)

I can see that James prefer the hard-edged side bands and not the softer AOR lush-of-keys type of band. If you don't like Vega, Houston, H.E.A.T, chances that you also don't like WW :)

btw, i see that you're also a thrash fan, have you check out Heathen's "The Evolution of Chaos", that's a 5-stars album mate, I've seen Lee Altus live with Exodus last year and he kills! another big one for me from that genre is Overkill's "Ironbound"

Brilliant disc and definitely worth picking up. That's an order, James. Change your mind asap.

And for the record, despite Jez's heavy critisism of the CD all year you'll do well to note that it still finished very high up in his best of 2010 list.

It finished 17th (19th after I missed the excellent Negative and Reckless Love discs from my list), which isn't very high to be honest. When compared to the 15 or so discs that went before it, it was way off the pace. I gave it a pretty good review, if you actually read what I wrote on the main pages and generally it's a very good album, especially for a debut, but way way overrated by quite a few.

I can see that James prefer the hard-edged side bands and not the softer AOR lush-of-keys type of band. If you don't like Vega, Houston, H.E.A.T, chances that you also don't like WW :)

btw, i see that you're also a thrash fan, have you check out Heathen's "The Evolution of Chaos", that's a 5-stars album mate, I've seen Lee Altus live with Exodus last year and he kills! another big one for me from that genre is Overkill's "Ironbound"

I don't mind some of the softer stuff, but I tend to prefer things a little more rockin'. Heathen CD is a good one, Overkill was quite nice, but I'm no Exodus fan. Saw them live with Overkill last year, and while the performance was fantastic, for me the Exodus songs all merged into one and aren't nearly as good as Overkill's set.

Anyway, back to topic. I'm going to have to defy the Word of Geoff on this one! I listened to some tracks by China Blue for the first time today and I loved them, so that has jumped well ahead of White Widdow in my 'need' list. I can probably only get 2 CDs between now and the end of May, so I'm hoping it will be China Blue and the new Blackrain CD. I think. :D

This album is definately a killer release! My reveiw of it will post at Sleezeroxx any second, but in a nutshell: buy this cd and play it over and over and over! It is that good.

Backed ! And I'm looking forward to your review, Terry ! :drink:

Thanks B! :drink: Her it is: http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/whitewiddow/widdow.shtml

And for the record, despite Jez's heavy critisism of the CD all year you'll do well to note that it still finished very high up in his best of 2010 list. So maybe it was more to do with being unable to acknowledge something awesome coming out of Australia rather than him actually having a real problem with the CD. ;)

Mate when something awesome comes out of Australia or any other country then we should all celebrate (remember our debate on Southern Sons - their 2nd album being in the Top 5 AOR albums of all-time IMHO). We also disagree on a lot of British stuff - as you generally rate that first Blue Blud disc a lot more than anyone in Britain does (even the band themselves probably!). IMHO the Scandies have always been, and still are the best at this music (BFT, H.E.A.T, Treat in particular) especially as hardly any of this stuff is mainstream in the U.S anymore. That said, I simply don't care where a band comes from these days I'm just pleased we're still getting some great Melodic Rock coming out. Regardless of country of origin, the WW is certainly not a bad disc by any means & maybe in another year it would've stood out a lot more, but 2010 was a great year for MR and it simply had no chance up against the quality of Treat/H.E.A.T/First Signal/Vega etc etc. In fact I've seen it compared to Vega a lot and I simply can't accept that it even comes close. Those guys in Vega are long-established songwriters who have contributed some of the very best AOR songs over the past 10 years+ to various projects, and even if the Vega disc isn't perfect it still simply has much better songs/hooks than WW have at present.

In fact I've seen it compared to Vega a lot and I simply can't accept that it even comes close. Those guys in Vega are long-established songwriters who have contributed some of the very best AOR songs over the past 10 years+ to various projects, and even if the Vega disc isn't perfect it still simply has much better songs/hooks than WW have at present.

A..Bloody...Men to that.

Mate when something awesome comes out of Australia or any other country then we should all celebrate (remember our debate on Southern Sons - their 2nd album being in the Top 5 AOR albums of all-time IMHO). We also disagree on a lot of British stuff - as you generally rate that first Blue Blud disc a lot more than anyone in Britain does (even the band themselves probably!). IMHO the Scandies have always been, and still are the best at this music (BFT, H.E.A.T, Treat in particular) especially as hardly any of this stuff is mainstream in the U.S anymore. That said, I simply don't care where a band comes from these days I'm just pleased we're still getting some great Melodic Rock coming out. Regardless of country of origin, the WW is certainly not a bad disc by any means & maybe in another year it would've stood out a lot more, but 2010 was a great year for MR and it simply had no chance up against the quality of Treat/H.E.A.T/First Signal/Vega etc etc. In fact I've seen it compared to Vega a lot and I simply can't accept that it even comes close. Those guys in Vega are long-established songwriters who have contributed some of the very best AOR songs over the past 10 years+ to various projects, and even if the Vega disc isn't perfect it still simply has much better songs/hooks than WW have at present.

Indeed, but I wasn't speaking of you, mate. ;)

And James, seriously, wtf? China Blue? Wasn't that some Mills fronted garbage from 2009? I can't even remember it. I know I played it once and I'm pretty sure I binned it then and there. How on earth does your selection process possibly work, mate? :lol: Your mind for music should be kept in a museum when you meet Jesus. ;)

Indeed, but I wasn't speaking of you, mate. ;)

And James, seriously, wtf? China Blue? Wasn't that some Mills fronted garbage from 2009? I can't even remember it. I know I played it once and I'm pretty sure I binned it then and there. How on earth does your selection process possibly work, mate? :lol: Your mind for music should be kept in a museum when you meet Jesus. ;)

:lol:

I've listened to some songs from that China Blue CD and they sound really good. I've got nothing against White Widdow, I like the style of music, but I just didn't like the songs very much. What can I say?

Get comfy, grab a lager and put on some Meads of Asphodel, then you'll know the true extent of my dementia. :crazy:

• 4 months later...

Just been updated from a reliable source that White Widdow's 2nd album will be out late September through AOR Heaven to coincide with the band's debut European tour.

It's an incredible achievement for an Aussie MHR band to be touring Europe as it's a first if I'm not mistaken.

I hope you all turn up to White Widdow shows & buy the debut album if you haven't already got it & get the 2nd one when it's out to show support :)