White Widdow

melodicrockoz

Yeah, I saw this had hit the online world over the weekend. As soon as I saw it I went on the hunt to pre-order it... couldn't find it anywhere yet, but rest assured I'll be on this asap. SO excited about this one.

Just from an Aussie perspective, even though these guys are Aussie I'm guessing that because it's through AOR Heaven there won't be a cheaper postaged Aussie version? Also, are the Aussie gigs with Ted Poley the official launch dates for the CD here? If so, that's marked in my calendar so I might just pick up my copy then. :)

The band will be stocking both the Japanese pressing which comes complete with the obligatory bonus track along with the Euro pressing at the Sydney show as well as the Melbourne Shows.

White Widdow has also been hand picked as support act for a recent Firefest act that will be touring Melbourne & Sydney next year :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - here's my 2 cents. I met Jules at Rocklahoma 2008. Extremely cool dude and we got on really well. I am very happy he's doing the 80s AOR thing and it's always very difficult for me to say anything negative but after checking out the tunes I am really surprised at the excitement surrounding this band. Jules just isn't really THAT good of a singer. He's ok but certainly no Kip Winger , Jeff Scott Soto or Robert Mason. And the songs are good but not outstanding. I don't know , I wasn't as thrilled as the rest of you are about this project. Kudos for keeping it AOR but now I know how excited y'all get about above average AOR albums , I guess it's time to record one for myself - LOL. Don't take this as negative , I just don't see or hear the big thrill. Have you not listened to the live footage they have on youtube? ummm...yeh.

Anyhoo , just my 2 cents. Good stuff but not essential IMO.

Hopefully you'll change your opinion once you hear the finnished product Sam :):beerbang:

Oh wowser. Mate, I seriously don't want to get in a silly "my band's better than yours" discussion, and I know you're only talking up a lot of the Retrospect releases in order to move them off the shelves... and PLEASE, don't get me wrong. I love many Retrospect albums such as Defcon, Wildstreet, Masquerade. Foxx etc. etc. I have dozens and dozens of them and enjoy most of them. But mate, this White Widdow material, in my humble opinion of course, is a lot better than most the stuff that gets quite a lot of hype over on Retrospect.

To each their own, but as I said above - Aussie or not, I just think these guys are excellent. Jules may not have the voice of those guys you mention, but my impression of the guy is that what he lacks in vocal technique he more than makes up in passion for his craft. On songs these strong I think his vocals are fine and if this gets the production job it deserves, I know my balls are knotted in a bow of anticipation. :)

Yeah, I saw this had hit the online world over the weekend. As soon as I saw it I went on the hunt to pre-order it... couldn't find it anywhere yet, but rest assured I'll be on this asap. SO excited about this one.

Just from an Aussie perspective, even though these guys are Aussie I'm guessing that because it's through AOR Heaven there won't be a cheaper postaged Aussie version? Also, are the Aussie gigs with Ted Poley the official launch dates for the CD here? If so, that's marked in my calendar so I might just pick up my copy then. :)

The band will be stocking both the Japanese pressing which comes complete with the obligatory bonus track along with the Euro pressing at the Sydney show as well as the Melbourne Shows.

White Widdow has also been hand picked as support act for a recent Firefest act that will be touring Melbourne & Sydney next year :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

Which Firefest act - c'mon Andre, please tell or at least give a hint....

Which Firefest act - c'mon Andre, please tell or at least give a hint....

I best not to at this stage :)

Having said that, dont be surprised if you see Vinnie Vincent actually tour here next year :)

Wow - here's my 2 cents. I met Jules at Rocklahoma 2008. Extremely cool dude and we got on really well. I am very happy he's doing the 80s AOR thing and it's always very difficult for me to say anything negative but after checking out the tunes I am really surprised at the excitement surrounding this band. Jules just isn't really THAT good of a singer. He's ok but certainly no Kip Winger , Jeff Scott Soto or Robert Mason. And the songs are good but not outstanding. I don't know , I wasn't as thrilled as the rest of you are about this project. Kudos for keeping it AOR but now I know how excited y'all get about above average AOR albums , I guess it's time to record one for myself - LOL. Don't take this as negative , I just don't see or hear the big thrill. Have you not listened to the live footage they have on youtube? ummm...yeh.

Hopefully you'll change your opinion once you hear the finnished product Sam :):beerbang:

Oh wowser. Mate, I seriously don't want to get in a silly "my band's better than yours" discussion, and I know you're only talking up a lot of the Retrospect releases in order to move them off the shelves... and PLEASE, don't get me wrong. I love many Retrospect albums such as Defcon, Wildstreet, Masquerade. Foxx etc. etc. I have dozens and dozens of them and enjoy most of them. But mate, this White Widdow material, in my humble opinion of course, is a lot better than most the stuff that gets quite a lot of hype over on Retrospect.

To each their own, but as I said above - Aussie or not, I just think these guys are excellent. Jules may not have the voice of those guys you mention, but my impression of the guy is that what he lacks in vocal technique he more than makes up in passion for his craft. On songs these strong I think his vocals are fine and if this gets the production job it deserves, I know my balls are knotted in a bow of anticipation. :)

yeah if you are listening to the internet leak, it hadnt even been properly mastered.

Wait for the proper release, it will be much better.

I've heard the un mastered version of this and whilst some of the songs are very good, i'd say that it is lacking a few killer tracks to be considered an outstanding album. The version I heard sounded really nice though, although there may be too many keyboards on this (did I really say that! ;) ). It sounds like the producer told the guys' Turn the damned things up to the max, it's an AOR album'. I'll judge it properly when the finished article drops through my door in October, but initially, just going by the songs on here, whilst very good, it just lacked a little bit of something for me. I await with baited breath.

Well, if what I hear is unmastered I'm looking forward to this even more. :) There are a lot of keys, but that never phases me if there is guitarwork and balls like I have heard on the tracks. The guitarist just sounds awesome. Funny you say that about the killer tracks, Jez. I actually found that my biggest problem was trying to decide which was my fave due to the abundance of killer tracks. Even on the totally unproduced 3 track EP (which this already sounds 1000 times better than) I thought there were 2 totally killer tracks. :)

Oh, well, guess we'll wait and see when it's released, but I can't wait to have this in my hands.

I know it's all opinions mate but of course White Widdow has nothing on a band like Defcon , Mariah or Heavens Wish IMO. Like I said , I'm happy he's doing the AOR thing. If I ever get to release my own album I hope you will feel the same hype over it. LOL. For me , the LIVE thing has a lot to do with my opinion on a band. I've seen a lot of the Retrospect roster LIVE and can honestly say that they kicked ass (O'dette , D'Molls , Pairadice , Wildstreet and Lorraine especially come to mind). White Widdow's live performance was a little lacking and the vocals just don't blow me away. Kind of like Crazy Lixx and Dirty Penny , what great albums but sub-par in a live setting. Different strokes for different folks mate!

A heads up for Aussies....

pre-order the new album at whitewiddow.blogspot.com for $AUD20 including free shipping.

This deal is for within australia only.

about time you guys had a decent deal on shipping ;-)

A heads up for Aussies....

pre-order the new album at whitewiddow.blogspot.com for $AUD20 including free shipping.

This deal is for within australia only.

about time you guys had a decent deal on shipping ;-)

Order made. Looking forward to getting this one indeed.

Here's the White Widdow showcase on melodicrock.com to check out samples of all the songs on the upcoming debut album sans the obligatory Japanese bonus track :)

http://www.melodicrock.com/showcase/whitewiddow.html

any thoughts?

VERY high on my fave list for this year ! Definitely one of the 2010 highlights !! Not to be missed ......

• 2 weeks later...

According to their most recent interview they haven't got a Japanese release deal yet. As per the interview below...

Wonder if they have pressed discs with the bonus track in preparation for a jap deal?

You have this song as a Japanese bonus track...but in my opinion it's one of the best songs on the album haha? Please explain...

At this stage we haven't secured a Japanese release for the album, however we did record this song with the intention for it. I'm stoked you like the song, it's one of those things that no matter what you do, you have to choose what songs won't make it to the album, it was a hard choice but for us we left this one off.

For me definitely one of the greatest releases in 2010 so far ! No doubt about it !! :guitbannana: :guitbannana:

I just got this one in the mail today. After a few spins the disc sounds fabulous. Everything is huge on this one, the lead vocals may be the weakest link, although they are good, I've heard stronger. The guitar playing is cool and very flashy, lacks emotion and feel, but the sound is crystal clear,the keys are outrageous and the production is excellent. A similar sound to H.E.A.T. but the production on White Widdow has more balls, even if it's laced with a lovefest of keys. However the best songs on Freedom Rock might beat out the best on what White Widdow has to offer.

On a side note:

Just like Vito Bratta who looked like he could be the son Eddie Van Halen, does the White Widdow guitarist Enzo Almanzi not look like the long lost son of Neal Schon...it's uncanny. For those who have the cd, the photos on the bottom left and top left in the collage of photos are so Schon it's freaky.

I didn't think this was released yet. According to the official website were I bought it from, they don't ship out til Nov 5th. How is it that AOR Heaven etc have it available already?